Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simon Stokes covered Play With Fire last night (Read 505 times)
ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Simon Stokes covered Play With Fire last night
Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:45am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Redwood Bar is a pirate bar in downtown LA that has been booking some awesome shows lately. Probably my favorite venue right now. Last night Simon Stokes played on a triple bill with Pat Todd & The Rank Outsiders and Sioux City Pete & The Beggars. The Sioux City Pete CD also has a cover of Cocksucker Blues but I haven't listened to it yet.

Simon Stokes is a staple of the downtown/Echo Park club scene lately. He's in his 70's and sings  some really crazy stuff. He put out some albums in the 1970's until disappearing until recently.

He broke in my new toy (Edirol R-09HR) last night.

Play With Fire (MP3) here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XQUX2JAI

More on Simon Stokes

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=236287...

http://www.laweekly.com/2001-05-31/music/heathen-angel/

I almost made a post a few weeks ago about the first Stones cover of the year, some other band doing No Expectations but it took me a few weeks to get to it (seeing many more Stones covers in the meantime) and it was weak.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Simon Stokes covered Play With Fire last night
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:52pm
Hi "LJ with STD"

this post raises some questions... The first being, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HANGING OUT IN A "PIRATE BAR" LISTENING TO 70 YEAR OLDS BUTCHER STONES SONGS????

(sorry bout the all caps, PERKS hi-jacked my keyboard there for a second)

Seriously. Did they turn you away at The Mermaid Bar or something?

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:53pm
Hey, it's where the bus went...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:00pm
Thanks for the MP3s, Dan. Watch those pirates...I heard they can get pretty randy. Wink

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:05pm
Quote:

oh! Is "LJwthSTD" the poster formally known as "Dan"?

now it all makes sense

party on dude You rock!

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Yes it is. I kid him but he's a nice guy & I know we'll all party on the bus in LA at some point.

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Saint Sway wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:52pm:
Hi "LJ with STD"

this post raises some questions... The first being, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HANGING OUT IN A "PIRATE BAR" LISTENING TO 70 YEAR OLDS BUTCHER STONES SONGS????

I haven't seen Pat Todd in a year and I haven't seen Sioux City Pete since the infamous Chickenhawks/Throw Rag/REO Speedealer show at Bar Deluxe in 1998. Simon Stokes just happened to be on the bill but he is easy enough to catch by accident.

Quote:
(sorry bout the all caps, PERKS hi-jacked my keyboard there for a second)

Seriously. Did they turn you away at The Mermaid Bar or something?

I think I know which place you are talking about. The Mermaid Bar has no street parking within a mile, charges $4 for water or $5 for Red Bull and security on the lookout for anyone enjoying themselves, so it's not a fun place to go even though I get guest slots for anything I want to by request. So I usually just avoid it. I am sure NYC has similiar unpleasant places.

The Redwood has sweet potato fries, free water, a good DJ and I can also fiddle my knobs in the open without a tap on the shoulder.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:41pm
Quote:

Almost door to door and I live at the end of the line so I can even sleep on the way home!

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:47pm
ijwthstd wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:39pm:
The Redwood has sweet potato fries, free water, a good DJ and I can also fiddle my knobs in the open without a tap on the shoulder.

the staff at The Brazen Head Pub told Joey that if they catch him fiddling his knobs again in their establishment they're going to report him to Dateline again

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:56pm
GotToRollMe wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:00pm:
Thanks for the MP3s, Dan. Watch those pirates...I heard they can get pretty randy. Wink

The women there look scarier than the men. But it looks like they are mainly catering to the loft dwelling hipster crowd, this place is too far inland for any real pirates.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:57pm
Saint Sway wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:47pm:
ijwthstd wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:39pm:

the staff at The Brazen Head Pub told Joey that if they catch him fiddling his knobs again in their establishment they're going to report him to Dateline again

Oh shit. Just nose-sprayed water all over my Dell, dude!
Good to have you back, Sway.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 4:05pm
Joey the Fiddler. Rock on! You rock! You rock! You rock!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)