Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tragedy In BUF (Read 1,833 times)
glencar
Ex Member

Tragedy In BUF
Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
My sympathies to the city of Buffalo & our posters from there. Very sad day.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/577959.html

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Re: Tragedy In BUF
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:02pm
Federal investigators arrived in Clarence Center today to examine the smoldering wreckage of a commercial plane that crashed into a home just after 10:15 p.m. Thursday, immolating the aircraft and home and killing 50 people.

The first task for the 14 investigators will be retrieving the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder from the wreckage of the plane, which plunged into a home on Long Street.

Victims' bodies will also begin to be recovered from the site, with the aid of a medical examiner, said Steve Chealander, a National Transportation Safety Board member who arrived in the area early today to inspect the scene.

The dead include 49 passengers who were on board the plane and one man who was inside the home when the aircraft hit. They include "many" Buffalo-area residents, officials said.

Conditions at the scene will complicate the recovery effort, officials said.

"It's still very hot," said Chealander. "It was a major fire and explosion. There's a lot of carnage there."

The Continental Connection flight, No. 3407, had been headed into Buffalo from Newark when it suddenly fell from the sky and dived into a single-family house.

Onlookers -- and authorities -- were amazed that more homes were not destroyed.

"It's in that yard, basically," said Chealander. "It was a very compact area."

Eyewitnesses said the plane sounded odd before it crashed and seemed to strike directly into the home on Long Street.

"It was a bad, bad impact. It was hot, and the explosion was massive," said Clarence resident Tony Tatro, who was driving nearby at the time of the crash. "I couldn't see anyone surviving it."

The sickly glow from the burning wreckage could be seen for miles.

Names of the passengers on the plane were not being released immediately by the airline.

Gov. David A. Paterson planned to travel to the crash site today to inspect the scene personally.

The 50 dead included four on-duty crew members on the Continental plane, one off-duty crew member, as well as 44 people traveling toward Buffalo on business and pleasure trips.

Among the crash victims was Beverly Eckert, the widow of Sean Rooney, who was killed in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Eckert was traveling to Buffalo for a family celebration of what would have been her husband's 58th birthday.

Family members and friends identified two people believed to be on the plane as Ellyce Kausner, a graduate of Clarence High School and Canisius College, and Maddy Loftus, a Buffalo State College graduate who lives in New Jersey.

The crew members were identified as Capt. Marvin Renslow, pilot of the plane; Rebecca Shaw, first officer of the flight; and flight attendants Matilda Quintero and Donna Prisco.

Another employee of the airline, Capt. Joseph Zuffoletto, a Jamestown resident who was off-duty at the time, was also killed.

The fiery crash -- which stunned onlookers by its intensity and heat -- is the deadliest U.S. airline crash since November 2001, when American Airlines Flight 587 taking off from John F. Kennedy Airport.

Jaimeelynn Trujillo, a Clarence resident who lives directly behind the crash site and was evacuated by police in the moments after the crash, saw the immediate impact of the plane's hit first-hand and called it "horrifying."

She was also one of the few to see at least one of the occupants of the Long Street house -- the site where the plane crashed -- fleeing to safety.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:12pm
Thanks for the thread Blue.

I cannot concentrate on anything today.

The crash occurred about 25 minutes from the City but it has effected all of us.

In Buffalo everyone knows everyone, so as this plays out, I may know a victim or two.

www.wben.com has an interview with the Woman,who with her daughter, escaped miraculously. Her Husband did not survive.

Very sad day.
LJ.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:16pm
LJ, I thought of you when I heard the news very late last night. I happened to be driving by my local airport last night & a B737 flew directly overhead & I thought, "Wow, I'm glad I'm not flying today because it's unusually windy today." But it looks like it was ice that brought this flight down. Very, very sad. This is the worst aircraft disaster since Nov. 2001.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:19pm
Had to be ice or wind shear.
My car doors were frozen shut this morning and we had winds yesterday gusting over 60 mph.

Thanks for the phone calls and emails, my dear friends! You know who you are! Wink

LJ.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 12:49pm
Very sad to hear. My sympathies to the families and loved ones. Best wishes to hearty people in Buffalo. Unfortunately,no miracle this time.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 2:57pm
My deepest sympathies to those families affected..Buffalo has always been good to me and I have known many great folks there. Will be flying in to Buffalo in a few weeks myself...RIP to those poor souls

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 4:46pm
i can't believe 2 people actually escaped from the house the plane crashed into, what a joke that must have been.

bless the dead and for the families, but you sit in an airplane seat after take off anything can happen. 

piss off

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 5:05pm

Reports are that two members of Chuck Mangione's band, guitarist Coleman Mellett and saxophonist Gerry Niewood, were on flight 3407.

Mellett lived in a neighboring town...

RIP to all who perished, and heartfelt condolences to their friends and families.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 5:21pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 5:16pm
These things always happen in 3's right?

Flight crash-lands in London; 1 taken to hospital

LONDON – The nosewheel of a British Airways passenger jet collapsed with a loud bang as it landed Friday at London City Airport, sending the plane scraping across the tarmac with 71 people aboard, officials and witnesses said. All aboard escaped by emergency slides, but one person was taken to a hospital with a minor injury.

BA Flight 8456 was flying from Amsterdam to London when its front landing gear failed.

"As a precaution the emergency slides were deployed and passengers were evacuated down the slides onto the runway," the airline said in a statement. "One passenger suffered a minor injury."

The airline said the Avro 146 RJ100 — made by BAE Systems — was carrying 67 passengers and four crew.

London firefighters said the plane crashed onto the runway around 8 p.m. (2000 GMT, 3 p.m. EST), and ambulance officials reported that four people were treated for minor injuries.

One of the passengers, Justin Fletcher, told the British Broadcasting Corp. that "there was obviously quite a loud bang as the plane scratched in. The stewards and stewardesses were quick to evacuate everyone off. There was a few scrapes and cuts due to hitting the asphalt. All in all everyone seems to be doing quite well now."

Passengers and crew were taken into the airport straight after the accident to be treated, and to be given food and drink.

The airport's only runway was closed after the incident and planes were being diverted to other airports in southeast England.

The government sent three investigators to the scene. The plane remained on the runway Friday evening, surrounded by fire trucks and maintenance crews.

London City Airport, in the eastern part of the British capital, is mainly used for domestic and European flights. It handles around 80,000 flights a year, with just over 3 million passengers. The airport is surrounded by water and aviation experts say pilots often experience difficult landings on the runway.

The crash-landing in London came a day after a commuter plane nose-dived into a suburban house in upstate New York, killing all 49 people aboard and one person in the home

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 5:52pm
Horrible, I too thought of LJ.

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buffalo,NY
Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Sometimes it makes me wonder..... 
So Sad,
Maybe human beings are taking to many things for granted! 
I guess i just feel bad,
We were without electric for 18 hours because of high winds and sleet.
I could have been worse.
Some people had no water.
Then a plane crashes with 49 dead,
Ice on the wings  :{
Cry

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Very tragic...Sad I know a lot of fine folks from Buffalo. All my prayers and sympathy goes out to the grieving families...Sad

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 2:35am
I've just heard about it. So sad for everyone involved, so many unlucky coincidences and such a tragedy...  Cry
Hope there wasn't anyone you knew in it LJ  Undecided

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 1:56pm
It's a big tragedy, which makes it a big new story. All over the news are people's stories. 2 musicians, a 9-11 widow, college sports team members, a fiance off to meet her future inlaws, some people who missed the flight, eye witnesses, family members of the dead, etc. Only thing I can say is when the weather is bad, nobody should complain if the airlines cancel and delay flights. Sobering and sad.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 4:52pm
Now it appears as if some rules might have been "broken". The plane was on auto-pilot when it went down...Sad Much harder to detect problems than if a human is actually flying the plane...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:01pm
Sioux wrote on Feb 15th, 2009 at 4:52pm:
Now it appears as if some rules might have been "broken". The plane was on auto-pilot when it went down..

I was under the impression that it was not far from landing.
I can't imagine a plane being on "auto pilot" on it's approach for landing.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:11pm
Yeah, I can't imagine either. Even if they weren't landing yet, they were in a totally populated area, and you know the plane was flying low.....what a tragic mistake. Sad

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 6:17pm
it was freezing rain as the plane was approaching the airport and obviously very cold out that night...it sounds like ice build up on the wings and that weight caused it to become lop sided and then blamo...down she went.

piss off

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 6:24pm
Quote:
it was freezing rain as the plane was approaching the airport and obviously very cold out that night...it sounds like ice build up on the wings and that weight caused it to become lop sided and then blamo...down she went.

Yeah, but those conditions must happen all the time around this time of year, all over the northern hemisphere, so why did this particular plane go down?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:55am
Those de-icing boots aren't as effective as the heating de-icing system that jets use. I'd recommend not flying turboprops in the winter.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:00pm
Quote:
Those de-icing boots aren't as effective as the heating de-icing system that jets use. I'd recommend not flying turboprops in the winter.

aren't these planes like one of a kind?  as far as i know there aren't that many built, other than say for scenic flights you can hire for an hour [say to fly over whiteface mtn and over lake placid]  i thought they were a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:02pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:12pm
Quote:
Quote:

aren't these planes like one of a kind?  as far as i know there aren't that many built, other than say for scenic flights you can hire for an hour [say to fly over whiteface mtn and over lake placid]  i thought they were a thing of the past.

The Bombardier turboprop plane that crashed wasn't even a year old.
It was also considerably larger than those that are used for "scenic" flights.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:18pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:12pm:
Quote:
Quote:

i understand that...i was just thinking prop planes.

i flew in a 2 seater prop plane a few years ago, the craft was fluttering all over the place.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:20pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:24pm
Quote:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:12pm:
Quote:
Quote:

i understand that...i was just thinking prop planes.

Turboprops are regularly used for "commuter" flights.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)