Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Slow Death Of The Compact Disc (Read 2,388 times)
Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: The Slow Death Of The Compact Disc
Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
That's the thing...Bitch is right. Albums used to be PROJECTS. Things that had to be listened to in their entirity. They were envisioned that way, recorded that way, and listened to and understood that way. Now, "albums" are just a hit or two {or a radio play or two} and lots of garbage-y filler. So, kids download the song they like--the one they are familiar with--and listen to that....then some other song by another artist....and on and on. Maybe it also has something to do with the no-attention-span generation of today. The "instant gratification" audience. Commercials are choppy---TV shows are choppy.....the MTV generation. Mind racing from one thing to the next. It takes EFFORT to sit down and listen to a project like Sticky Fingers or Exile.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:44am
...and maybe the old people of each generation rationalize inferior technology to justify their falling behind the times....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:11am
[quote author=lotsajizz link=1233792402/25#26 date=1233999897]...and maybe the old people of each generation rationalize inferior technology to justify their falling behind the times....[/quote

It has nothing to do with 'falling behind the times'. Some older generations may prefer vinyl etc for any number of reasons - nostalgia, for example.

I understand the convinience of the MP3, I just don't beleive it is in anyway a superior source and that it should replace the CD.

I know what I like and I'll be sticking with it.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:59am
Let's make it clear--I do not advocate mp3's for anything other than music of older or poorer sound quality (i.e., recordings before the 50's, lesser bootlegs, sloppier punk--where high fidelity is not a priority).  But if, as seems to be the case in this thread, the term is used to designate any digitalized audio file, it's clearly the future.  For the record -- as I earlier stated -- I prefer lossless formats.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:09am
lotsajizz wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:59am:
Let's make it clear--I do not advocate mp3's for anything other than music of older or poorer sound quality (i.e., recordings before the 50's, lesser bootlegs, sloppier punk--where high fidelity is not a priority).  But if, as seems to be the case in this thread, the term is used to designate any digitalized audio file, it's clearly the future.  For the record -- as I earlier stated -- I prefer lossless formats.

by very definition, anything digital is lossy....

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:07pm
cabledogg2 wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:06pm:
I go into my local best buy today and again they have shrunk the CD section to a mere 2 small isles. With the exception of current releases they mostly have "Greatest Hits packages". Are there even any Record / cd stores around anymore? Here in the Wash DC area we used to have TONs of record stores ( kemp mill  , waxie maxies , peaches , sam goodies ) all gone now. Now i've never even been to I tunes but it seems to me that you are paying for a watered down product being mp3. Luckly there are a few second hand record / cd shops around my area.....

Living in a Midwestern USA suburban area, I don't have a decent "record store" within 20 miles of me.  Streetside Records had a location about seven miles from my house, but they closed down at least five years ago.  Hardly anything I want is available at Worst Buy, so I usually shop at Amazon.com where you get free shipping if you spend more than $25.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:32pm
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:09am:

by definition, ANYTHING is lossy

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #32 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:34pm
lotsajizz wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:32pm:
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:09am:

by definition, ANYTHING is lossy

fair enough. then what of these lossless formats of which you speak? live performances and personal attendance at studio recording sessions?

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:38pm
I'm increasing my post count!!!  Boss sucks!!!

...&&&&...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #34 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:25am
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:34pm:
fair enough. then what of these lossless formats of which you speak? live performances and personal attendance at studio recording sessions?

No compression.  MP-3's use compression.  WAV's and FLAC's do not.  "Lossless format" means you're ripping exactly what the source is.  With an MP-3, the highs and lows are washed out--again, this is meaningless if the source never had any of the highs and lows to start.  But a true fan would easily be able to tell a FLAC "Dark Side Of the Moon" (for example) from an MP-3 "Dark Side Of The Moon".  By contrast, it doesn't much matter what digital format you use for a 1930's blues recording which never really had those highs and lows anyway.

See what would happen if you tried to trade MP-3 Stones boots on this board rather than FLAC's or WAV's!!
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:26am by lotsajizz »  

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 10:19am
lotsajizz wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:25am:
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:34pm:

No compression.  MP-3's use compression.  WAV's and FLAC's do not.  "Lossless format" means you're ripping exactly what the source is.  With an MP-3, the highs and lows are washed out--again, this is meaningless if the source never had any of the highs and lows to start.  But a true fan would easily be able to tell a FLAC "Dark Side Of the Moon" (for example) from an MP-3 "Dark Side Of The Moon".  By contrast, it doesn't much matter what digital format you use for a 1930's blues recording which never really had those highs and lows anyway.

See what would happen if you tried to trade MP-3 Stones boots on this board rather than FLAC's or WAV's!!

thanks. i'm quite familiar with all the technical stuff.  i was trying to play along with your comment on everything being lossy. oh, well.

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #36 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 3:22pm
"No compression.  MP-3's use compression.  WAV's and FLAC's do not.  "Lossless format" means you're ripping exactly what the source is. "

Now i'm far from a expert but flac's are around 900 kbps (undecoded) and a wave file is 1411 kbps. Wouldn't that make a flac file lossy?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)