Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Slow Death Of The Compact Disc (Read 2,386 times)
cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
The Slow Death Of The Compact Disc
Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I go into my local best buy today and again they have shrunk the CD section to a mere 2 small isles. With the exception of current releases they mostly have "Greatest Hits packages". Are there even any Record / cd stores around anymore? Here in the Wash DC area we used to have TONs of record stores ( kemp mill  , waxie maxies , peaches , sam goodies ) all gone now. Now i've never even been to I tunes but it seems to me that you are paying for a watered down product being mp3. Luckly there are a few second hand record / cd shops around my area.....

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: The Slow Death Of The Compact Disc
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:17pm
it is a sad scene these day for sure.  here in new paltz there are 2 used cd/record stores.  one is called jacks rhythms and the other is rhino records.  both stores are very small....the size of 16x16.  they sell a lot of new and used stuff for a reasonable price.  i make an effort to rifle thru the record selection from time to time.

when you were in best buy did you manage to pick up a copy of ted nugents smash hits?

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:19pm
We still have a great, independent record shop downtown---Plan 9. Used to have 2 stores, but just the one left now. But all the rest are pretty much gone. I get most of my stuff online now. SIGH. I DO miss browsing the bins for that unexpected "treasure". Sad

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:31pm
 they are becoming a thing of the past.  i like to support jacks as much as possible, but when shine a light came out on dvd i asked him how much to order me a copy and he said 30 dollars.  i knew i could order it from rollingstones.com for like 5 dollars cheaper.  in the end i got 2 copies for free, i won't say from whom or how, but i think you get my drift.  i did buy the 2 cd deluxe of shine a light from rolling stones.com. i think it was the 1st brand new cd i have bought in 3-4 years.  i bought it because of the booklette and i always buy new stones cd's. 

will ya 2
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:36pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:33pm
The Bay Area has lots of places that still selll vinyl even. I think it's great that vinyl is coming back. I never really made the transition from vinyl to CD all that successfully.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:00pm
Yes, there is a fairly decent vinyl presence still....Smiley LOVE vinyl.....analog vs. digital. Analog wins every time for me...

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:56am
Cd? What is this cee dee?

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:04am
Yes - sales of the CD are on the decline. Personally, I still buy them and listen to them more than any other format.

I have an I-Pod thingy - can't be bothered with it. I hate the disposableness of it all. IMO, there is nothing better than going into a record shop, buying and taking home a CD. You really feel as if you own something. That’s more than be said for a fucking MP3 file.

The only time I listen to MP3's are when on the computer - like now.

In fact, I spin my turntable more frequently these days. Gotta love vinyl

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:28am
I retired my CD's to the basement last year.  I uploaded everything--some 10,000 'albums' or so--to a hellaciously huge hard drive.  I did most of it in lossless format (FLAC's, WAV's, APE's, etc.).  I did some in MP3 format--poorer sound quality discs to start with (Leadbelly, for instance, there is no difference in FLAC Leadbelly versus MP3 Leadbelly!).  I now have the ability to find and play -- in any order I want -- all of my music.  Much more convenient.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:50am
All the love and effort goes out the window with MP3's imo. I still cherish the days when I would make my own cassette compilations. Oh the fun I had!  Cheesy

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:15am
Please.  With a system like mine, I can make any mix far faster and with no loss of sound quality thanks to ripping in lossless formats.  My 10,000 or so CD's are now all on a 8 inch x 8 inch x 3 inch/two pound hard drive (actually, two hard drives--I backed it all up) that I can take anywhere.  I've gone to hotels with a laptop and 2 small Bose speakers for my hard drive and I have my complete collection just a clickety-clack away).  I only keep the CD's as an emergency backup or for those cars that play them.  Technology marches on.  Join the march or be left behind....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:09am
CableDogg2...Dc also recently saw the demise of the CD/Game Exchange...you might want to try Crooked Beat on 18th Street...they have tons of stuff, but their CD sales has slowed down ALOT w/ new vinyl sales going WAY up...Also you have SMASH a bit further up 18th...both in Adams-Morgan.

It's also nice to hear that Rhino records is still around...used to shop in New Paltz for music and comics all the time...and then grab a drink at Baccus and enjoy my new music and comics
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:11am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:13am
By default, it seems as though New England is home to the greatest CD shop left on the planet: Newbury Comics.

While I don't think they are they best shop ever, they actually have a lot of great material and GREAT prices.  It's not the same experience as going into a Tower or Virgin, but this is what we have been left with.

iTunes is a very subpar product, but you are also paying a below normal price for no packaging and a subpar product. 

I have retired from CDs...and converted to vinyl.  And i feel good about it...

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:52am
SheRat wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:33pm:
The Bay Area has lots of places that still selll vinyl even. I think it's great that vinyl is coming back. I never really made the transition from vinyl to CD all that successfully.

good for you - although my cd collection outnumbers my vinyl (10,000 to 4,000), i still listen to vinyl as often or moreso than cds, which were a bad idea from the get-go. convenience? fine. sound?  not so much.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:08pm
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:52am:

good for you - although my cd collection outnumbers my vinyl (10,000 to 4,000), i still listen to vinyl as often or moreso than cds, which were a bad idea from the get-go. convenience? fine. sound?  not so much.

Holy Shiite? you have 10,000 cds and 4,000 records?

Shit!

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:14pm
mojoman wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:08pm:
StreetsofLover wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:52am:

good for you - although my cd collection outnumbers my vinyl (10,000 to 4,000), i still listen to vinyl as often or moreso than cds, which were a bad idea from the get-go. convenience? fine. sound?  not so much.

Holy Shiite? you have 10,000 cds and 4,000 records?

Shit!

i'm a lightweight, compared to others i know. oh, and i have 60 bottles of single-malt in the cabinet, too.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:31pm
welcome back SS.

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Quote:
welcome back SS.

i don't bite, but i will....who is ss?

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:50am:
All the love and effort goes out the window with MP3's imo. I still cherish the days when I would make my own cassette compilations. Oh the fun I had!  Cheesy

i remember borrowing cd's from people and making copies of them onto high bias cassetts because i  didn't own a cd player yet.

really?

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:07pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:09am:
It's also nice to hear that Rhino records is still around...used to shop in New Paltz for music and comics all the time...and then grab a drink at Baccus and enjoy my new music and comics

rhinos is now downtown just across the street from baccus...they have downsized big time.  you be happy to know baccus has something like 75 different kinds of beer to choose from.   the comic book store is no more.

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:55pm
Nice to hear that so many people still listen to vinyl. I have a few thousand lp's myself..........so who has the secret to cleaning vinyl on a budget ( sorry can't afford one of those pro cleaning machines). I've always found it frustrating when you find what appears to be a "Clean" album and it turns out to be a big black frisbee..............

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:01pm
cabledogg2 wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
....so who has the secret to cleaning vinyl on a budget ....

windex and paper towels.

IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:09pm
Quote:
cabledogg2 wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
....so who has the secret to cleaning vinyl on a budget ....

windex and paper towels.

ha. seriously. you don't need no machine. one of those little kits with the soft brushy thingy and a little water or cleaning fluid does the trick just fine.  gonna put on some stan getz on the turntable now.....

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:27pm
There's a certain charm in making a 90-minute tape for someone, most notably a bird you fancy.

I have a pure digital pre-amp and I run a tweaked 30 year old turntable through it.  My amps are pushing 20 years. I have a Sony SACD player.  I love that turntable. That's the centerpeice to the entire show.

Charlie would love it.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 10:23pm
Lots of places to buy CD's and vinyl in and around NYC.  I just love flipping through the vinyls looking for something rare when I can afford to treat myself to a new 'toy'.  The CD's and albums are my 'toys', I play with them, sort them, stack them, copy them, display them, haha I enjoy them and I never download 'songs' from the Internet. Albums are made to be listened to from beginning to end, not just one or 2 songs that are the 'hits'. It's not the same thing musically.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)