Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Which RO regular Oscar win was most deserved?

Joey for Best Actor Performing with a Blow Up Doll    
  4 (44.4%)
TomL for Best Ganj Concealment    
  3 (33.3%)
TTM for Best Shitamatography    
  0 (0.0%)
PDog for Best Tattletale    
  1 (11.1%)
Feej for Best Song (Cornbread Hex HipHop Remix)    
  0 (0.0%)
FPM's Golden Globe (Awards Ceremony held across the street)    
  1 (11.1%)

Total votes: 9
« Created by: Starbuck on: Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:15am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Oscars 2009 (Read 8,709 times)
Voodoo Scrounge
Ex Member

Oscars 2009
Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:08am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hi Guys

My thread about the snow went very slightly off topic and a few people mentioned some good films.

What do you guys think of the Oscar nominations this year?

I have seen most of the films with the "big" nominees in them. EG Milk, The Wrestler, Frost Nixon, Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder.

They were all very good. However, I think the best film I have seen this year is Doubt. I wont spoil the story line for you, but its a brilliant film with some very fine acting, especially from Phillip Seymour Hoffman (he has been nominated for best supporting actor).

I dont think that he will win because there would be a big hoo ha if Heath Ledger doesnt take the award.

Sean Penn was outstanding in Milk. He has just got better and better as an actor over the past 10 years and was unbelievable in Milk.

I personally think that the weakest contender for the best actor Oscar is Mickey Rourke. Im not saying that the film was bad, it was just a little predictable.

My prediction of the best actor and best supporting actor Oscars are;

Best Actor - Sean Penn
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger (but should be Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

What are your thoughts?

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Re: Oscars 2009
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:56am
I like . . .

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 6:12am
I agree, VS. The acting in "Doubt" is stunning, but Heath is probably a safe bet because of his amazing performance and the sad circumstances.

Did you see "Slumdog Millionaire"?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 6:59am
SweetVirginia wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 6:12am:
I agree, VS. The acting in "Doubt" is stunning, but Heath is probably a safe bet because of his amazing performance and the sad circumstances.

Did you see "Slumdog Millionaire"?

Hands down the best film!

Winslet should win-she was excellent in The Reader
Sean is the favored son, but personally I think Mickey in 'The Wrestler" was better.

Haven't seen Frost-Nixon yet, but can't imagine it being better than Slumdog.....
Ledger should also get a nod

IP Logged

Voodoo Scrounge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:28am
I think that Heath will get the nod for best supporting actor, but I think its a real shame.

Although he was very good in Dark Knight, I dont think he was good enough to warrant an Oscar and if he does win, then we all know that he is only getting it because he has since passed away.

I dont think Heath Ledger would have picked up the Oscar had he still been alive today. If you take Ledger out of the equation, Setmour-Hoffman wins, possibly Josh Brolin.

IP Logged

Billy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:06am
Who gives a Donald Duck ? i just hope i don't accidentally catch any of the acceptance speeches.

IP Logged

Voodoo Scrounge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:41am
Well you wont catch Heath's if he wins!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:45am
I used to watch this show growing up but now I am amazed that it's still on. And these narcissistic H-wood idiots who act like an Oscar is the Holy Grail make me depressed. The last year I watched was when Chris Rock(I think) made some funny jokes including one about how Jude Law was in every film & how he wasn't all that great. It was pretty funny & then curmudgeonly Sean Penn came along & said how proud he was to be an actor alongside Jude Law. Blow it out yer ass, Seanie!

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:57am
Kinda on topic of the Dark Knight, check out Christian Bale going off on a lighting guy on the set of the new Terminator movie. I guess the guy walked on the set during filming.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/bale-went-ballistic/

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 12:01pm
LOL I know he's a jerk & all but Bale should have been nominated at the very least. He's much better than the crap that got nominated.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:29pm
Gimme Shelter wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:57am:
Kinda on topic of the Dark Knight, check out Christian Bale going off on a lighting guy on the set of the new Terminator movie. I guess the guy walked on the set during filming.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/bale-went-ballistic/

LOL....the lighting on Christian will be REALY flattering for the rest of that film.  Grin

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:51pm
glenny?

i saw benjamin button. i can't believe that forest gump rip off was nominated for best picture. slow year?? brad pitt has done some good films, but this was nowhere near his best.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Voodoo Scrounge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 5:58am
I managed to catch Benjamin Button last night and I have to agree with Starbuck, the similarities between it and Forrest Gump are quite obvious.

I was very impressed with how young they managed to make Brad Pitt look towards the end of the film.

Seeing the film last night made me realise that this year's best actor Oscar is a straight drag race between Sean Penn and Mickey Rourke.

If you like the rags to riches story of Mickey Rourke, which some of the academy panel do, then Rourke will win.

If they are looking for the best performance, then Penn will win.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Christian Bale talks:

“It’s been a miserable week for me."

"Listen, I know I have a pottymouth, everybody knows that now, but I understand this is live, so please don't worry, I will behave."

"The thing that I really want to stress is that I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order, beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk. I regret that and there is nobody that has heard that tape that it's hit harder by it than me. So I make no excuses for it. It is inexcusable and I hope that is absolutely clear.”

“One thing that has really disturbed me throughout this, because I’m not familiar, I'm comfortable yet with this notion of being a movie star. I’m an actor and I’m don’t quite know how to handle the movie star thing. The thing that disturbs me so much is that I’ve heard a lot of people saying that I seem to think I’m better than anybody else."

"I'm embarrassed by it. I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely."

"Feel free to make fun of me at my expense; I deserve it completely."

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:01am
Voodoo Scrounge wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:08am:
I personally think that the weakest contender for the best actor Oscar is Mickey Rourke. Im not saying that the film was bad, it was just a little predictable.

It certainly was predictable, particularly if you've ever seen "The Champ"; either the 1931 original with Wallace Beery or the 1979 remake with Jon Voight.  Except that "The Wrestler" changes the aging, washed up boxer for an aging, washed up wrestler and the son for a daughter, it's the same story.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:03am by Brainbell Jangler »  

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Voodoo Scrounge
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:57am
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:01am:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:08am:

It certainly was predictable, particularly if you've ever seen "The Champ"; either the 1931 original with Wallace Beery or the 1979 remake with Jon Voight.  Except that "The Wrestler" changes the aging, washed up boxer for an aging, washed up wrestler and the son for a daughter, it's the same story.

I havent seen "The Champ".

I dont want people to think that I am having a dig at Mikey Rourke, because I am not. I think he plays the role of Randy really well. I cant think of anybody who was better suited to that role in fact.

But when you watch "The Wrestler" and then watch "Milk", there is a huge difference in quality of performance.

What helps "The Wrestler" is that it was shot very well. The close ups of Mikey Rourke emphasise the scale of his (Randy) downfall. He quite clearly shows the scars of life.

"Milk" however is all about two people. Penn and Brolin. Penn just domintes the film from begining to end. His performance is one of the best I ahve ever seen in my life and I am not exagerating. He has evolved a huge amount as an actor. You really couldnt have foreseen Penn playing a character like Harvey Milk 15 years ago.

Sean Penn is one of the most talented men in Hollywood. The first time I realised just how good he was, he was even in a film, he directed it. The film was called "The Pledge". If you havent seen it, do so, its very good.

I really do think that Heath Ledger is only being considered for an Oscar because he passed away and I dont think that is right. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would win best supporting actor if Ledger wasnt in the running. He possibly deserves it a lot more too.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:45pm
Zack wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:56am:
I like . . .

did i miss a wardrobe malfunction?

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:26pm
Starbuck wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:51pm:
i saw benjamin button. i can't believe that forest gump rip off was nominated for best picture. slow year?? brad pitt has done some good films, but this was nowhere near his best.

Yes -- with such an unusual storyline and so much time, they could have beefed up the story a little bit. It's kind of frustrating to sit through almost 3hours of film only to realize that you've learned close to nothing about that Benjamin guy & don't care much anyway.

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Benjamin Button should have been about 40 minutes shorter. I think that director was so pleased with all the beautiful shots he got that he just didn't leave enough on the cutting room floor.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:02pm
Quote:
I used to watch this show growing up but now I am amazed that it's still on. And these narcissistic H-wood idiots who act like an Oscar is the Holy Grail make me depressed. The last year I watched was when Chris Rock(I think) made some funny jokes including one about how Jude Law was in every film & how he wasn't all that great. It was pretty funny & then curmudgeonly Sean Penn came along & said how proud he was to be an actor alongside Jude Law. Blow it out yer ass, Seanie!

that could be my post Car,
sean penn was obnoxious for taking that joke so seriously.
the a-list cannot take a fucking joke if its on them, besides it was true, so fuck both sean and jude and all their a-list buddies.
i used to watch this who growing up too - pre-video, pre-cable, it was the only place you could see stars....it was otherworldy,
now, its all too mundane and the self-congratulation is nauseating.
i only watch if there is a legitimate underdog...i might watch to see what mickey rourke does if he wins.
now that's a real bad boy, a real rebel of the kind hollywood-bred guys like penn can only emote.
and he's got the long list of b-movies, bad press to prove it.

check this out:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110008062

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 6:30am
I think what you said about the pre-cable days being more interesting in re the Oscars is a good point. Who needs to watch a 4 hour version of Entertainment Tonight? It's just not what it was.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:13pm
Quote:
I think what you said about the pre-cable days being more interesting in re the Oscars is a good point. Who needs to watch a 4 hour version of Entertainment Tonight? It's just not what it was.

that's what it is now...
and back then, stars were stars..or seemed bigger, somehow - and that has alot to do with the nonstop entertainment shows....
there was also a split back then - you had your tv stars, and you had jack nicholson, warren beatty etc..
now, everyone is a celebrity...
lisa rinna goes to the oscars now...
there is no mystery or nothing untouchable about these people anymore - and as a kid, that separation was what made them stars...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:35pm
" Did you see "Slumdog Millionaire"?  "

I have not seen this particular movie but everyone is ' raving ' about the film .

Developing ............................

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:47pm
i've seen all the nominated movies, and i have to say doubt still exceeds them all/
just a great, challenging movie..
clint eastwood continues to amaze me.
scorsese and coppola were the young geniuses of the 70s, while clint was the dirty harry guy, the mainstream hero..the guy who represented a hollywood they disdained....
and yet now, while scorsese and coppola are slowing down, making increasingly lame movies in their old age - it's eastwood who is taking the chances, making provocative films that are relevant to today.
he gets better and edgier as he ages...inspiring.
loved vicky christina barcelona, but i missed woody's distinctive narration - hated the guy who narrated -some of the irony, snarkiness in the monologues were lost because of that ....

IP Logged

marko
Rocks Off Regular

Finland
Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:28am
What was the Clints latest movie?I only have the "flags of the fathers" and "letters from ivo jima",,,which were fantastic.I think Clint haven´t done a really
bad movie since the latest Dirty Harry(which was awful),another one i don´t care about is,"Heartbreak bridge",others simply fantastic.

I agree about the movie "The pledge",which sean penn directed,its almost perfect.Wasn´t Jack Nicholson on the main role,as an,COP who was
going to pention?
I got the dvd,,,,been about 2 years since my last watch.BTW Nicholson is one of the actors whos done only good acting,his better than
Pacino or Deniro.

https://www.facebook.com/marko.kuusela.3  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)