Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © Michael Chow/The Republic

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doors Documentary To Debut At Sundance (Read 850 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Doors Documentary To Debut At Sundance
Jan 11th, 2009 at 3:32pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Doors Documentary To Debut At Sundance Festival
artist: doors date: 01/05/2009
ultimate-guitar.com

The Doors are set to unveil the true story of the band in the upcoming documentary "When You're Strange," which will premiere Jan. 17th at The Sundance Film Festival. "When You're Strange" uses previously unseen footage of The Doors and chronicles the bands start and lead vocalist Jim Morrison and keyboardist Ray Manzarek time at UCLA's Film School all the way until Morrison's death in 1971. Written and directed by Tom DiCillo the band feels this is the true story of The Doors, unlike the sensationalized movie from 1991 "The Doors" by Oliver Stone, which starred Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison.

Artisan News caught up with Ray Manzarek to get his thoughts on the finally being able to tell the true story of The Doors using real unseen footage of Jim Morrison and the band.

Ray Manzarek On Telling The Real Story Of The Doors

"Well there's going to be Doors documentary telling the story of The Doors, which will tell the real story of The Doors unlike the Oliver Stone story of The Doors. Which was sort of Oliver Stone in leather pants as opposed to Jim Morrison but we're going to try to tell the real story of The Doors using the real Jim Morrison all the film footage that we shot back in the day."

So how did Ray Manzarek feel about Oliver Stone's film "The Doors?"
Ray Manzarek On Oliver Stones Over Sensationalized Movie On The Doors

"Oliver Stone's movie was not very good. It was a gross exaggeration of cutting together Jim's drunken moments and you know taking a drunken moment and all the good stuff, no no no we don't want any of that. Let's take another drunken moment and let's put those two drunken moments together. Drunken moment after drunken moment. It's kind of absurd and rebellious and wild and crazy. You know a friend of mine watched the movie and said 'How did you guys write songs. You can't...I mean it doesn't make any sense. I mean how did Morrison compose any poetry or write any songs?' I said 'Exactly.' So Stone just took the sensational moments and put them all together."

The soundtrack to "When You're Strange" featuring classic studio and live tracks from The Doors will be released in the Summer of 2009 on Rhino Entertainment.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: Doors Documentary To Debut At Sundance
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 3:40pm
i thought the movie the doors was good hollywood fun.  this effort also sounds good.

really?

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 4:21pm
Ka-CHING!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Alcoholic Cunts Like Knives

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 5:04pm

thank god, that stone one was shit, really terrible, acting was awful, cept kilmer for the first time

it was pretty much all shit except for val kilmer

and if you knw the doors, as in read of them etc it was exaggerated, amean its typical oliver stone that way i guess, but still terrible

i remember reading ur guy who played mazarek i think, hes in desperate housewives now, mclachlan, i think thats it, he auditioned and wanted to play morrison, how shit a film would that have been lol

any way good news!

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:09pm
if anything, Stone's movie UNDERSTATED what a drunken asshole Morrison was

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:42am
lotsajizz wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:09pm:
if anything, Stone's movie UNDERSTATED what a drunken asshole Morrison was

Word. 

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:16am
My review of Waiting for the Sun:

After a brilliant debut album and the worthy follow-up Strange Days, the Doors found themselves one of the biggest acts in pop music. At concerts, fans screamed for singer Jim Morrison with beatlesque fervor. An educated, thinking man, Morrison understood with withering clarity the superficiality of his stardom that had nothing to do with music. He rebelled hard against the adulation, manifesting contempt and feelings of unworthiness by constant, absurdly heavy drinking. That cheers for his new inebriated buffoonery on stage got even louder didn’t help--Morrison devolved into a cartoonist stock character egged on to further outrageousness at every gig.

When the time came for the third Doors album Waiting for the Sun, Morrison couldn’t pull it together, arriving at the studio hours late, once famously passing out and pissing himself at the microphone. “Jim was useless 99-and-a-half percent of the time,” producer Paul Rothchild said later. “What you hear on that record is half of one percent.” Still, Rothchild pulled a pretty decent LP out of the mess. He tapped into Jim’s anger to make “Five to One” an effective anti-hippie anthem, as a clearly drunk Morrison growls “You walk across the floor with a flower in your hand/trying to tell me no one understands” provocatively contradicts the earlier “Unknown Soldier.” In this, one of the most explicit anti-war songs of the sixties, Morrison is literally shot by firing squad, which implies the same end result as sending the boys off to Saigon.

“Hello, I Love You” is a commercial sugar-coated treatment of a demo from 1965, directly copping the Kinks’ “All Day and All of the Night.” It predictably went to #1, but sorely disappointed fans that saw the group as “artists” as newly defined by the Beatles. “Love Street” is kitschy jazz about Jim’s girl Pam; “Summer’s Almost Gone” is the final gem from Morrison’s initial burst of creativity in 1965. Robbie Krieger’s contributions are strong, though “Wintertime Love,” the again season-themed follow-up to the previous number seems a bit contrived. “Spanish Caravan” features some dandy guitar work; and “Yes, the River Knows” is a beautiful guitar-piano duet with Ray Manzarek, as Morrison does his best Sinatra.

Every previous Doors album closed with an epic, and this one was to be the most ambitious of all. “The Celebration of the Lizard” is a lugubrious 110-line surrealistic odyssey through the grim landscape of Morrison’s mind. But in his condition, Jim couldn’t pull it off. Only one section made the grade, assaulting teeny bop listeners with “the minister’s daughter’s in love with a snake” and “dead president’s corpse in the driver’s car” as Manzarek beat the Hammond with his fists—-a far cry from “Hello, I Love You” two cuts earlier.

The Doors haven’t aged well, but every note and line from this album like the others is no doubt indelibly etched in the mind of millions of former adolescent males like your humble reviewer. As far as this LP goes, it’s a metaphor for Morrison’s contrasts, soft-spoken intellectual one moment, raving asshole the next. It also marks the beginning of the end for one of rock’s greatest stars. He was 25 years old at the time.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:11am
Zack wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:16am:

After a brilliant debut album and the worthy follow-up Strange Days, the Doors found themselves one of the biggest acts in pop music. At concerts, fans screamed for singer Jim Morrison with beatlesque fervor. An educated, thinking man, Morrison understood with withering clarity the superficiality of his stardom that had nothing to do with music. He rebelled hard against the adulation, manifesting contempt and feelings of unworthiness by constant, absurdly heavy drinking. That cheers for his new inebriated buffoonery on stage got even louder didn’t help--Morrison devolved into a cartoonist stock character egged on to further outrageousness at every gig.

When the time came for the third Doors album Waiting for the Sun, Morrison couldn’t pull it together, arriving at the studio hours late, once famously passing out and pissing himself at the microphone. “Jim was useless 99-and-a-half percent of the time,” producer Paul Rothchild said later. “What you hear on that record is half of one percent.” Still, Rothchild pulled a pretty decent LP out of the mess. He tapped into Jim’s anger to make “Five to One” an effective anti-hippie anthem, as a clearly drunk Morrison growls “You walk across the floor with a flower in your hand/trying to tell me no one understands” provocatively contradicts the earlier “Unknown Soldier.” In this, one of the most explicit anti-war songs of the sixties, Morrison is literally shot by firing squad, which implies the same end result as sending the boys off to Saigon.

“Hello, I Love You” is a commercial sugar-coated treatment of a demo from 1965, directly copping the Kinks’ “All Day and All of the Night.” It predictably went to #1, but sorely disappointed fans that saw the group as “artists” as newly defined by the Beatles. “Love Street” is kitschy jazz about Jim’s girl Pam; “Summer’s Almost Gone” is the final gem from Morrison’s initial burst of creativity in 1965. Robbie Krieger’s contributions are strong, though “Wintertime Love,” the again season-themed follow-up to the previous number seems a bit contrived. “Spanish Caravan” features some dandy guitar work; and “Yes, the River Knows” is a beautiful guitar-piano duet with Ray Manzarek, as Morrison does his best Sinatra.

Every previous Doors album closed with an epic, and this one was to be the most ambitious of all. “The Celebration of the Lizard” is a lugubrious 110-line surrealistic odyssey through the grim landscape of Morrison’s mind. But in his condition, Jim couldn’t pull it off. Only one section made the grade, assaulting teeny bop listeners with “the minister’s daughter’s in love with a snake” and “dead president’s corpse in the driver’s car” as Manzarek beat the Hammond with his fists—-a far cry from “Hello, I Love You” two cuts earlier.

The Doors haven’t aged well, but every note and line from this album like the others is no doubt indelibly etched in the mind of millions of former adolescent males like your humble reviewer. As far as this LP goes, it’s a metaphor for Morrison’s contrasts, soft-spoken intellectual one moment, raving asshole the next. It also marks the beginning of the end for one of rock’s greatest stars. He was 25 years old at the time.

great review. first doors album i really got into. strange days #2

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 12:11pm

Excellent review Zack!  I can attest to his contempt for his fans.  I was in one of the many audiences that were soundly cussed out by a drunken Jim.  Too young to care, I remained enamored of the Lizard King in his leather pants.  He wrote some outstanding lyrics - my favorite being "the scream of the butterfly".

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:41pm
I can't wait until I see that movie "When You're Strange" I know the Doors had a film crew film, filming everything back in '68, I was a regular fan of rock magazines back then & this was often mentioned, I can see how Ray M. feels back the Oliver Stone movie, I mean he was there, & knew Morrison very well, I remember John Densmore being interviewed after the movie came out, & he said the one scene of them going into the desert & doing acid never happened, he said he would never do acid with Morrison, he was too crazy, but I liked The movie, I found it very entertaining.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:48pm

Reportage extraordinaire. you could make money at this Zack

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:16am
Thanks, Tumbly.   Smiley  I do make a few bucks as a writer - but not about music unfortuntately.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:10am
Zack wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:16am:
Thanks, Tumbly.   Smiley  I do make a few bucks as a writer - but not about music unfortuntately.  

Maybe some freelance music writing gigs should be in your future... Wink

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:32am
Why, thank you.  You know Jann Wenner by chance?  Undecided

OK, to prove I'm not a one-trick pony, I also did LA Woman.  (Then I'll stop.)

Here goes:

For the record, Jim Morrison did NOT show his cock on stage. He definitely led a shocked audience on that hot steamy Miami night in March 1969 to believe that he was going to whip it out, but more than 150 photos from the infamous concert were introduced into evidence at his subsequent trial for felony lewd and lascivious behavior, and not one captured his willy in the spotlight.

Morrison was nonetheless convicted of the alleged offense and sentenced to six months of hard time; the case was on appeal when he died.  Miami not only threatened Morrison’s liberty – it nearly ruined the Doors’ career. Tours were cancelled, and venues willing to book them insisted on a “fuck clause” of $5,000 to be forfeited if any obscene act took place on stage. Just when all seemed lost, the Doors managed to restore their artistic credibility with Morrison Hotel, their strongest album in three years.   But their charismatic leader was a shattered man. Habitual heavy drinking began to take its toll: Morrison's nerves were shot, his relationships in tatters. With long, lank hair, huge beard, and ragged army jacket, he looked homeless – and if you don’t count a seedy motel – actually was. The young Dionysus of 1967 was gone forever.

Not surprisingly, the rest of the Doors were in a panic as they watched their franchise going down the drain. In desperation, they stoked Jim's creative fire by suggesting they do a bluesy album – something he often talked about doing – in a laid back setting at their rehearsal room, rather than a studio.  Long time producer Paul Rothchild, however, was having none of it. Having sweat bullets to maintain musical standards amid Morrison's antics on five previous studio albums, he dismissed the new material as weak and walked away, leaving production duties to engineer Bruce Botnick and the band.

Thus was born a new, short-lived, era for the Doors. The sound of Morrison’s voice on the new album, L.A. Woman, was little short of shocking: those golden pipes had transformed into a near-unrecognizable husky growl, yet possessed a new maturity and appeal. Behind it, the band played their hearts out in their funkiest style ever, and sustained musical excellence throughout the disc. “Love Her Madly” was a slice of irresistible radio pop from Robbie Krieger; original blues “Cars Hiss By My Window” featured Morrison's vocal imitation of a guitar solo following some of the old lyric menace. The tripartite, eight-minute title cut, among the Doors’ finest work, was a self-portrait that introduced Morrison’s mythologizing anagram Mr. Mojo Risin,’ which ironically portended a mysterious end for its author.

In “Hyacinth House,” Morrison exposes his own interpersonal conundrum: “I need someone who doesn’t need me.” The rapped verses of the delightful “Texas Radio and the Big Beat” include two of Morrison’s greatest-ever one liners: “I’ll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn” and “Out here on the perimeter there are no stars/Out here we is stoned, immaculate.”

The album’s finale, appropriately, is a second, and for the group, final epic. The song hated by Rothchild most of all, “Riders on the Storm” nonetheless managed to package a sordid tale of murder on the highway into a hit single, thanks to catchy keyboard work from Ray Manzarek and an irresistible after-midnight ambience atmosphere. The Doors' final song ended with Morrison's vulnerable plea to his long-suffering girlfriend, Pamela: “Girl you got to love your man./Take him by the hand, make him understand.”

Sadly, that never happened. Jim and Pam left for an extended holiday in Paris while the others were still mixing the album, arguably the Doors' best.  Just days after getting a call from drummer John Densmore informing him that L.A. Woman was a big hit and rising fast in the charts, the Lizard King lay dead in his hotel bathtub, more than likely of a heroin overdose. Perhaps Jim Morrison, 27, just couldn’t live with any more success.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:33am by Zack »  

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 12:27pm
Zack wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:32am:
Why, thank you.  You know Jann Wenner by chance?  Undecided

OK, to prove I'm not a one-trick pony, I also did LA Woman.  (Then I'll stop.)

Here goes:

For the record, Jim Morrison did NOT show his cock on stage. He definitely led a shocked audience on that hot steamy Miami night in March 1969 to believe that he was going to whip it out, but more than 150 photos from the infamous concert were introduced into evidence at his subsequent trial for felony lewd and lascivious behavior, and not one captured his willy in the spotlight.

Morrison was nonetheless convicted of the alleged offense and sentenced to six months of hard time; the case was on appeal when he died.  Miami not only threatened Morrison’s liberty – it nearly ruined the Doors’ career. Tours were cancelled, and venues willing to book them insisted on a “fuck clause” of $5,000 to be forfeited if any obscene act took place on stage. Just when all seemed lost, the Doors managed to restore their artistic credibility with Morrison Hotel, their strongest album in three years.   But their charismatic leader was a shattered man. Habitual heavy drinking began to take its toll: Morrison's nerves were shot, his relationships in tatters. With long, lank hair, huge beard, and ragged army jacket, he looked homeless – and if you don’t count a seedy motel – actually was. The young Dionysus of 1967 was gone forever.

Not surprisingly, the rest of the Doors were in a panic as they watched their franchise going down the drain. In desperation, they stoked Jim's creative fire by suggesting they do a bluesy album – something he often talked about doing – in a laid back setting at their rehearsal room, rather than a studio.  Long time producer Paul Rothchild, however, was having none of it. Having sweat bullets to maintain musical standards amid Morrison's antics on five previous studio albums, he dismissed the new material as weak and walked away, leaving production duties to engineer Bruce Botnick and the band.

Thus was born a new, short-lived, era for the Doors. The sound of Morrison’s voice on the new album, L.A. Woman, was little short of shocking: those golden pipes had transformed into a near-unrecognizable husky growl, yet possessed a new maturity and appeal. Behind it, the band played their hearts out in their funkiest style ever, and sustained musical excellence throughout the disc. “Love Her Madly” was a slice of irresistible radio pop from Robbie Krieger; original blues “Cars Hiss By My Window” featured Morrison's vocal imitation of a guitar solo following some of the old lyric menace. The tripartite, eight-minute title cut, among the Doors’ finest work, was a self-portrait that introduced Morrison’s mythologizing anagram Mr. Mojo Risin,’ which ironically portended a mysterious end for its author.

In “Hyacinth House,” Morrison exposes his own interpersonal conundrum: “I need someone who doesn’t need me.” The rapped verses of the delightful “Texas Radio and the Big Beat” include two of Morrison’s greatest-ever one liners: “I’ll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn” and “Out here on the perimeter there are no stars/Out here we is stoned, immaculate.”

The album’s finale, appropriately, is a second, and for the group, final epic. The song hated by Rothchild most of all, “Riders on the Storm” nonetheless managed to package a sordid tale of murder on the highway into a hit single, thanks to catchy keyboard work from Ray Manzarek and an irresistible after-midnight ambience atmosphere. The Doors' final song ended with Morrison's vulnerable plea to his long-suffering girlfriend, Pamela: “Girl you got to love your man./Take him by the hand, make him understand.”

Sadly, that never happened. Jim and Pam left for an extended holiday in Paris while the others were still mixing the album, arguably the Doors' best.  Just days after getting a call from drummer John Densmore informing him that L.A. Woman was a big hit and rising fast in the charts, the Lizard King lay dead in his hotel bathtub, more than likely of a heroin overdose. Perhaps Jim Morrison, 27, just couldn’t live with any more success.

Alright enough Zack.  Get paid for your words.  If you have desire to write travel books, I can give you a name. I think you are a history buff though so that seems to be your might.  You have the gift.   keep on.

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

sammy davis jr.
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:55pm
It will put the Oliver Stone movie to shame. God I hated that movie. "We can change the world man".

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Nope, don't know Wenner....if I did, the R&RHOF would look a lot differently than it does!!

But your reviews are GREAT. As good as anything I read in Rolling Stone or Goldmine or anywhere else. Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)