Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © Michael Chow/The Republic

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Alcohol & the Holiday Season.

I drink but I know when I've had enough.    
  14 (40.0%)
I don't drink.    
  1 (2.9%)
I'm an alcoholic & belong to a 12 step program.    
  1 (2.9%)
I drink but always end up drunk.    
  14 (40.0%)
I think I'm an alcoholic & need help.    
  1 (2.9%)
I use drugs instead.    
  4 (11.4%)

Total votes: 35
« Created by: Heart Of Stone on: Dec 27th, 2008 at 12:56pm »

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Alcohol & the Holiday Season. (Read 2,249 times)
Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Alcohol & the Holiday Season.
Dec 27th, 2008 at 12:56pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So much media talk about Alcohol & the Season, I thought I'd do this poll to find out about our members & how they are with booze, or how they feel about it,  in Toronto there were more D.U.I's then last year, just curious.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Alcohol & the Holiday Season.
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't do drugs. I may be boring, but I'm alive! Wink

I have enough vices already, without having to deal with any of those.. Roll Eyes

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:12pm
Sioux wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:03pm:
Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't do drugs.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103414/?searchterm=drugs+are+bad

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 12:56pm:
So much media talk about Alcohol & the Season, I thought I'd do this poll to find out about our members & how they are with booze, or how they feel about it,  in Toronto there were more D.U.I's then last year, just curious.

most everyone i know has a dui or 2.  i had a friend who was scared straight for months after his first offense  and every time he came over i would offer him a beer and he'd be like no way man, i gotta drive.  i was like you are allowed 1 beer, but he was adamant about not drinking anything.  the other week we went out for burgers and, you guessed it, drinks.  i won't say how many we had, but i'm pretty sure if he were to be pulled over he would have gotten his second within a year.  its weird how people forget or just give up caring about stuff like that.

in ny, 9 times out of ten if you are popped for a dwi [drunk] for the 1st time you can get it reduced to an ability impared [not so drunk] which is a lesser crime and lesser fines.  this is with help of a lawyer.  if it happens a second time within 5 years chances are you're screwed.  they will not reduce it.  this is what happens here in the hudson valley anyway.  in ny city it is a totally different story.  pretty much the bottom line is...if you get 3 within 5 years, you may be jail time.  not that i have been there.

one thing that confuses me tho and i am not sure i agree with it.  just say you and a friend are sitting in your car down by the river, drinking of course, keys are in the ignition and you are listening to tunes but the car is not idoling.  now a cop pulls up...he can technically bust you for a dui.  i don't jive with that...the vehicle isn't moving.  

bottom line is pretty simple...just don't do it.  call a cab.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:58pm
Keith would not like this poll.   Interesting stuff Ronnie! :funny

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:05pm
" Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't do drugs.  "

This makes young Joey sad .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:06pm
Quote:
So much media talk about Alcohol & the Season, I thought I'd do this poll to find out about our members & how they are with booze, or how they feel about it,  in Toronto there were more D.U.I's then last year, just curious.

most everyone i know has a dui or 2.  i had a friend who was scared straight for months after his first offense  and every time he came over i would offer him a beer and he'd be like no way man, i gotta drive.  i was like you are allowed 1 beer, but he was adamant about not drinking anything.  the other week we went out for burgers and, you guessed it, drinks.  i won't say how many we had, but i'm pretty sure if he were to be pulled over he would have gotten his second within a year.  its weird how people forget or just give up caring about stuff like that.

in ny, 9 times out of ten if you are popped for a dwi [drunk] for the 1st time you can get it reduced to an ability impared [not so drunk] which is a lesser crime and lesser fines.  this is with help of a lawyer.  if it happens a second time within 5 years chances are you're screwed.  they will not reduce it.  this is what happens here in the hudson valley anyway.  in ny city it is a totally different story.  pretty much the bottom line is...if you get 3 within 5 years, you may be jail time.  not that i have been there.

one thing that confuses me tho and i am not sure i agree with it.  just say you and a friend are sitting in your car down by the river, drinking of course, keys are in the ignition and you are listening to tunes but the car is not idoling.  now a cop pulls up...he can technically bust you for a dui.  i don't jive with that...the vehicle isn't moving.  

Loose laws in NY.  Here in Oregon, the first offense (or first in 10 years) gets you a diversion:  treatment and fees, but no conviction or jail--provided no one else was injured.  Conviction carries mandatory minimum two days jail (typically up to 10 days for first offense in most counties).  A third conviction in five years turns the misdemeanor DUII into a felony.  And a third conviction, no matter howe far apart, carries a permanent revocation of driver's license (with opportunity to apply for reinstatement in 10 years--if and only if you haven't been caught driving in the interim).  Washington State increases the mandatory minimum jail time depending on the BAC.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:28pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:06pm:
Quote:

Loose laws in NY.  Here in Oregon, the first offense (or first in 10 years) gets you a diversion:  treatment and fees, but no conviction or jail--provided no one else was injured.  Conviction carries mandatory minimum two days jail (typically up to 10 days for first offense in most counties).  A third conviction in five years turns the misdemeanor DUII into a felony.  And a third conviction, no matter howe far apart, carries a permanent revocation of driver's license (with opportunity to apply for reinstatement in 10 years--if and only if you haven't been caught driving in the interim).  Washington State increases the mandatory minimum jail time depending on the BAC.

are you sure you are not referring to commercial license's?  especially guys/gals that truck gas and oil.   

another thing or 2 i want to add to my above post is.  if you are convicted with a dui, 1st offense, second one too, you can maintain a license in ny state... you need to attend a 3-4 hour lecture course, which cost 10 dollars.  this is mandatory.  a cop lectures you and there are poster sized pictures of wrecked cars and also people talk about family and friends that have been injured or killed because of drunk drivers.  now if you wish to continue driving you have to attend a 7 week class session [which is alway full] where everyone who attends has been busted for booze or drugs and that costs 500 dollars and or you have to surrender your license for 3 months.  with all the court costs and lawyer fees and such you are looking at a 2 thousand dollar bill.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Loose laws in NY.

Here in southeast Louisiana, it was almost expected that you take one for the road home after work every day.
Still, to this day, many convenient stores sell single beers all iced down in bins right close to the checkout counter.
Then one day, they passed a law saying DRIVERS cannot posses an open container. The loophole was that anyone else in the car could have an open container so the driver could just hand over his/her drink to someone else.
It was only a couple of years ago that they amended the law to say no open containers in vehicles.

You can still drink on the street in New Orleans, though, as long as it's not in a glass or metal container.
And alcohol sales here are 24/7. No worrying about stocking up for Sunday!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 4:43pm
Joey wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:05pm:
" Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't do drugs.  "

It makes me sadder when people do things to harm themselves or others....Sad I really never want to encounter a drunk driver...Sad

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 5:04pm
Sioux wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 4:43pm:

It makes me sadder when people do things to harm themselves or others....Sad I really never want to encounter a drunk driver...Sad

This is what this poll was all about, I don't drive, but I've had D.U.I.'s a lot in my life, I never want to go back to that, as far as I'm concerened  D.U.I.'s should be under the weapon (Too Kill)  you actually kill people when it's D.U.I.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 6:39pm

" .... as far as I'm concerened  D.U.I.'s should be under the weapon (Too Kill)
 you actually kill people when it's D.U.I. "

This makes young Joey blanch .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:24pm
Quote:
if you are convicted with a dui, 1st offense, second one too, you can maintain a license in ny state

Rubbish.

www.duifoundation.org/newyork/conviction/first/
www.duifoundation.org/newyork/conviction/second/
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/newyork.php
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:46pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
Sioux wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 4:43pm:

This is what this poll was all about, I don't drive, but I've had D.U.I.'s a lot in my life, I never want to go back to that, as far as I'm concerened  D.U.I.'s should be under the weapon (Too Kill)  you actually kill people when it's D.U.I.

is it because of your troubles with the law you are not driving?
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:26pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:34pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:58pm:
Loose laws in NY.

Here in southeast Louisiana, it was almost expected that you take one for the road home after work every day.
Still, to this day, many convenient stores sell single beers all iced down in bins right close to the checkout counter.
Then one day, they passed a law saying DRIVERS cannot posses an open container. The loophole was that anyone else in the car could have an open container so the driver could just hand over his/her drink to someone else.
It was only a couple of years ago that they amended the law to say no open containers in vehicles.

You can still drink on the street in New Orleans, though, as long as it's not in a glass or metal container.
And alcohol sales here are 24/7. No worrying about stocking up for Sunday!

i sort of remember those stocking up for sunday days too.  not anymore tho.  just over a year ago all ny state liquor stores were closed on sundays.  not anymore.  on sunday they all open at noon and are allowed to stay open until 5-6pm.  the thing with beer is it is illegal to sell it before noon on sundays.  monday-saturday you can't buy it inbetween 4 and 8am.

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:45pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:24pm:
Quote:
if you are convicted with a dui, 1st offense, second one too, you can maintain a license in ny state

Rubbish.

what i said is not rubbish and without going into any gory details, i should know.  i'm living proof.  i have a valid license today and am free to drive without restrictions anywhere i please.  don't believe everything you read.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:50pm
Quote:
Quote:

Rubbish.

what i said is not rubbish and without going into any gory details, i should know.  i'm living proof.  i have a valid license today and am free to drive without restrictions anywhere i please.  don't believe everything you read.

So you've been convicted of DWI in New York at least twice, and never had your license suspended?

Right...
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:53pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:00pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:50pm:
Quote:
Quote:

Rubbish.

what i said is not rubbish and without going into any gory details, i should know.  i'm living proof.  i have a valid license today and am free to drive without restrictions anywhere i please.  don't believe everything you read.

So you've been convicted of DWI in New York at least twice, and never had your license suspended?

Right...

without going into any gory details.  yes.  correctamundo.

you see what happens is.  all the while you are attending those useless classes you are driving with what they call a conditional license.  with this you are only allowed to drive to work or to the hospital, thats it.  now do you really think people abide by this law?

you will only do jail time if you get more than 3 within a 5 year span.  

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:07pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rubbish.

Right...

I'm not talking about jail time.
I'm talking about license revocation.

Unless you got some kind of hardship waiver, I still ain't buying what you're selling.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:15pm
can't separate the season from puttin a good buzz on

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:17pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:04pm:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rubbish.

Right...

I'm not talking about jail time.
I'm talking about license revocation.

Unless you got some kind of hardship waiver, I still ain't buying what you're selling.

its true.  why would i want to lie about the status of my license?  theres no smooching your around judge katz man.  he is hard core.  he is the judge for wednesday nights here in town.

revocation is a tricky one and i am not quite sure why and when this might occur.  it might have something more to do with unpaid bills and such.  all i know is i had the option to take the classes and  continue driveing with a conditional license or surrender it for 3 months.  i chose to surrender it.  after the 3 months i went to motor vehicles, paid my bills and got it back.  and out the door i went.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:36pm

Passing on DDP school automatically revoked your license, Otis.

www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c40.htm#notpart
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:43pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 9:04pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:36pm:
Passing on DDP school automatically revoked your license, Otis.

www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c40.htm#notpart

shit happens...right.  all i am telling you is what happened in my case.  i learned a lesson...it cost me a bundle, but most importantly, i didn't hurt anyone.

i've said enough.  who's next.

What a post Ronnie!!!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 10:40pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 11:49pm
Quote:
Quote:

Loose laws in NY.  Here in Oregon, the first offense (or first in 10 years) gets you a diversion:  treatment and fees, but no conviction or jail--provided no one else was injured.  Conviction carries mandatory minimum two days jail (typically up to 10 days for first offense in most counties).  A third conviction in five years turns the misdemeanor DUII into a felony.  And a third conviction, no matter howe far apart, carries a permanent revocation of driver's license (with opportunity to apply for reinstatement in 10 years--if and only if you haven't been caught driving in the interim).  Washington State increases the mandatory minimum jail time depending on the BAC.

are you sure you are not referring to commercial license's?  especially guys/gals that truck gas and oil.  

Quite sure.  I'm a criminal defense lawyer.  Under Oregon law (this is mandated by the feds, so I assume it's true in all states), holders of commercial licenses are not even eligible for diversion (even if driving their private vehicle).  All drivers are subject to mandatory one-year license suspension for first conviction (not diversion) within five years; two years suspension for second within five years; permanent for third (no matter howe many years apart).

On the other hand, no DUII without driving, which is defined to require some motion of the vehicle.  But that means any motion, including the following (actual cases):  reaching across from the passenger seat to close the driver's side window and accidentally putting the car into gear; grabbing the wheel from the passenger seat; steering a car while it's being towed; and (my personal favorite) pushing a disabled motorcycle down the road.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:19am
We used to have numbered Drinking Threads with 500 posts in them.  Now look at us.  Look at this poll.  What have we become?

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #25 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:21am
The poll answers dont fit me! so I didnt answer, but...
I'm a 'social drinker', I drink at parties and weddings and at holidays but I never drink alone and rarely get drunk, although I like a 'beautiful buzz', multi-layered, haha. It puts the 'Happy' in Holidays!

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:23am
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Dec 27th, 2008 at 11:49pm:
Quote:
Quote:

are you sure you are not referring to commercial license's?  especially guys/gals that truck gas and oil.  

Quite sure.  I'm a criminal defense lawyer.  Under Oregon law (this is mandated by the feds, so I assume it's true in all states), holders of commercial licenses are not even eligible for diversion (even if driving their private vehicle).  All drivers are subject to mandatory one-year license suspension for first conviction (not diversion) within five years; two years suspension for second within five years; permanent for third (no matter howe many years apart).

i understand this.  what happens if you are pulled over for a dwai [driving while ability impared] you know, blowing below .08?  do you still lose your license for a year?  

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:25am by N/A »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #27 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 4:28pm
"I didn't go to bars much. One drunken asshole was all I could handle and that was me." - Stephen King

Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk

"I never understood social drinking, that's always seemed to me like kissing your sister." - Stephen King

Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed!  Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed!  Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed!  Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed! Better seen on weed!

"The only reason that I didn’t commit suicide was the fact that I knew I wouldn’t be able to drink any more if I was dead." - Eric Clapton

really? really? really? really? really? really?

"A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her."  - W.C. Fields

Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #28 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:07pm
"Don't give me no lectures about stress and strife. Sobriety just ain't my way of life" -  George Thorogood Let's go get drunk

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #29 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:30pm
Well... I belong to "more than one" of the options, but I can vote for just one of them

• I drink but always end up drunk
  • I think I'm an alcoholic & need help
  • I use drugs instead.

To the last question I would change it to "I use drugs in addition to booze"

So... what can a poor boy do?
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:32pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #30 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:42pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:30pm:
Well... I belong to "more than one" of the options, but I can vote for just one of them

• I drink but always end up drunk
  • I think I'm an alcoholic & need help
  • I use drugs instead.

To the last question I would change it to "I use drugs in addition to booze"

So... what can a poor boy do?

Except to sing for a rock and roll band....? Wink

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #31 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:44pm
Sioux I love ya!!!    

You rock!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #32 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 7:06pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:44pm:
Sioux I love ya!!!    

You rock!

Grin Grin You rock! You rock!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)