Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © Michael Chow/The Republic

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shine A Light Appreciation Thread (Read 2,791 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Shine A Light Appreciation Thread
Reply #25 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 3:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
TDICE wrote on Dec 26th, 2008 at 2:25pm:
What more could he possible add, the only song from that night that is missing is HTW.

More documentary footage - which, to be honest, was something I expected to take up a higher % of screen time. Especially when hearing in advance that Albert Maysles was given a role in assembling it.

Those of us who collect that stuff do indeed have most of what's in circulation - and there was very little archive footage in SAL that was new to me - but the film wasnt (and shouldn't be) aimed at collectors, so thats not really a big deal.

However, there's a huge difference in what's in circulation and what actually exists over a 46 year career.  When you ponder the latter, what we actually have seen and own is merely the tip of the iceberg.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

TDICE
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 3:34pm
I totally agree with that, I think the reality of them releasing what we want(and what is it really, just better versions of what we already have ?.  I would like to see a complete pro-shot indoor show of the 78 tour and maybe a better LA 75 or complete pro-shot Knebworth) there is just not the market for this stuff to ever see the light of day IMO only.  Time will tell, but I love em warts and all.  Long Live The Stones.

[/quote]
However, there's a huge difference in what's in circulation and what actually exists over a 46 year career.  When you ponder the latter, what we actually have seen and own is merely the tip of the iceberg.

[/quote]

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 4:11pm
TDICE wrote on Dec 26th, 2008 at 3:34pm:
I totally agree with that, I think the reality of them releasing what we want(and what is it really, just better versions of what we already have ?.  I would like to see a complete pro-shot indoor show of the 78 tour and maybe a better LA 75 or complete pro-shot Knebworth) there is just not the market for this stuff to ever see the light of day IMO only.  Time will tell, but I love em warts and all.  Long Live The Stones.

Knebworth's a weird one and it's a bit of a miracle that it circulates at all. I was actually one of the first people to get a low gen copy of it on video. It didnt come from a Stones source, but was 'borrowed' from the BBC archives.

The BBC shot an hour of it for news footage (maybe only a couple of minutes were shown in the broadcast that evening). A guy I used to trade with who worked at the BBC TV centre London paid a 'visit' to their library one evening, borrowed the master and made a copy of it before returning it. Quite a few videos from around that era were sourced in a similar way. The BBC's methods of storing their archive footage back in the early 90s when this circulated was very haphazard at best. Maybe it's not as easy to 'borrow' footage this way anymore!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #28 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 3:05pm
They should release the '97 Double Door show!

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:04pm
Honestly,It´s not their best concert released on DVD
Buddy Guy saves the day,the Twins singing at the end of Faraway Eyes is priceless and Ronnie is on fire in All Down the Line,Far away Eyes and You Got The Silver.
That´s all...
I love this band but if they want to do a DVD please choose a concert from the first leg of the tour,I mean A Biggest Bang is worst than Shine a Light... Shit!

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 7:03pm
I listened to the whole SAL CD again, and my absolute favorite part is right after LIVE WITH ME, when MICK says
"I loved it!!!"
The way he says it is so damn hot!
I guess he enjoyed singing with Christina A ~ and an interesting pronunciation of her name too. Is that the British accent or Italian or Spainish accent or what???

Perverted Mick

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:50pm
I hated that Christina duet. I think Mick was just trying to save afce. She's half-Peruvian so he was prolly using a Spanish accent for her last name.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 7:06pm
Personally I dont like either duet with Christina or Jack White. They cant do the songs right, Jack White sounds like a young child's voice compared to MICK's masculine voice! And he didnt sing in tune, and Christina sang out of time, they were just there for show for the movie! I wonder if it was MARTIN'S idea to have them in the movie. The only good guest is Buddy MOTHERGFUCKER Guy!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 2:19pm
Mick always gets the blame for the guests & I'm guessing this is no exception. Buddy Guy was awesome but he also brought the Stones up a notch. It was fun for them.

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #34 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 2:37pm
Have anyone idea or whom can tell me if this version is in PAL format?

http://www.amazon.com/Shine-Light-Blu-ray-Rolling-Stones/dp/B001DXFP2Q

This is a collector´s edition? i want it, but here in México the Playstation3 only decode NTSC format, i want to be sure in this purchase.

Thanks!

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 2:56pm
Bitch wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 7:06pm:
Personally I dont like either duet with Christina or Jack White. They cant do the songs right, Jack White sounds like a young child's voice compared to MICK's masculine voice! And he didnt sing in tune, and Christina sang out of time, they were just there for show for the movie! I wonder if it was MARTIN'S idea to have them in the movie. The only good guest is Buddy MOTHERGFUCKER Guy!

I totally agree. Those duets bug the shit out of me.  I dont' know why.

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:56pm
when i saw it on the imax screen the duets sounded great...lets just say the whole movie sounded great.  now that i own it on dvd and listen to it more with a critical ear, come to think of it the duets do kind of suck.  the loving cup one sounds hurried and bitch is right about there voices not matching.  i have to say i like the christina duet tho...out of time, tune or whatever it rocks, and i'm not just saying that because she's attractive.

Shit!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)