Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
With Mick Fleetwood, backstage, State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © The Rolling Stones/art by Ronnie Wood

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best shows you have seen in 2008 (Read 3,537 times)
platter
Ex Member

Re: Best shows you have seen in 2008
Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 6:25pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
i saw 1 show this year.  uncle ted at the chance.  maybe i need to get out more.  good enough for me.  concerts are far to expensive these days.  maybe i'll see some good bar band new years eve.

everybody say ow

Smiley

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 2:11am
That's sad if you can only find a few shows to go to in New York City. It can't be that much worse than L.A.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 6:33am
I saw Oasis and Ryan Adams last night. Fantastic.

The two Tina Turner shows I saw were first rate.

Going to the "Shine A Light" premiere felt like going to a live show, and it's the closest I've ever been to all of the Rolling Stones.

Oh...and on the "shows that sucked" list: seeing the Eagles at MSG because my friend really wanted to go. I want to pretend like it didn't happen, but I just can't wipe it out of my mind. The horror!

We REALLY need a tour.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:20am
This was a great year of shows for me ~ I took advantage of the year off from the Stones! Most of these tickets were under $100
MY 2008 CONCERTS list:
February 2, LENNY KRAVITZ Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC ~ Fabulous club show, Lenny is very cool and HOT!
February 28, CLAPTON & WINWOOD, Madison Square Garden, NYC ~ REALLY GREAT, these guys are PRO's!
March 1, JOE PERRY & TAB, Hard Rock Cafe, NYC ~ club show which was cool because Joe Perry's 2 sons are in the band "Tab"
March 30 SHINE A LIGHT Premiere, Ziegfeld Theatre NYC,The STONES were there and looking good, not a concert but it was a thrill
April 8, SANTANA Madison Square Garden, NYC ~ he played hard for 3 HOURS!
April 26, THE WALLFLOWERS, House of Blues, AC ~ just went to see Dyan's son, not really a fan but it was good
May 26, MARK KNOPFLER (Dire Straits), Royal Albert Hall, London ~ LOVED the venue, it was fabulous, the show was folk music
May 30, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Emirates Stadium, London  ~ one of the best most & enthusiastic BRUCE shows I have ever seen!!
June 1, PAUL McCARTNEY, KAISER CHIEFS & THE ZUTONS, Liverpool Anfield Stadium, UK ~ Best show of my year!!!!
June 7, ROGER HODGSON (Supertramp), Atlantic City ~ small club show which was sweet
June 10, ROBERT PLANT & ALISON KRAUSSE, MSG Theater, NYC ~ very cool show and different for Robert Plant, who was HOT!
June 28, RINGO STARR & HIS ALL STAR BAND (Edgar Winter, Billy Squier, Colin Hay), Taj Mahal Atlantic City ~ simply fabulous!
July 27, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, Giants Stadium, NJ ~ great show, and long too, but too crowded and hot as hell
August 3, THE POLICE & ELVIS COSTELLO, PNC Arts Center, NJ ~ prettygood but no new material for the Police, Elvis was better
August 16, BOB DYLAN, The Borgata AC, NJ ~ typical Dylan ~ no frills show but satisfying
August 23 ROD STEWART, The Borgata, AC, NJ ~ 2nd row seats, loved ROD's style and charm!
October 29, TIM RIES ROLLING STONES PROJECT, Jazz Standard, NYC ~ really interesting jazzy Stonesy gig
October 31, THE WHO, Borgata AC ~ fabulous 9th row seats, great show
Nov. 25, HUBERT SUMLIN w/Sp. Guests JIMMY VIVINO, LEVON HELM, DAVID JOHANSEN, BB Kings NYC ~ legendary blues
Decvember 15, NEIL YOUNG, Madison Square Garden, NYC ~ Neil rocked all night, MSG didnt empty out till 1 AM!

My 2 favorite shows were in England:
PAUL McCARTNEY at Anfield ~ final show at that venue!
and
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN at Emerites ~ first show at that venue!
and
CLAPTON & WINWOOD was very special too
and
RINGO
and
THE WHO and DYLAN and ROD and NEIL!
lots of talent in the music bizz!

EDGAR WINTER gets an honorable mention!
My favorite SONG of the year ~ FRANKENSTEIN by EDGAR WINTER! You gotta check these video's out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZwllRMnwhg
Second favorite song of the year!
DEAR MR. FANTASY ~ CLAPTON & WINWOOD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQRd2_B3Luc
Third favorite song of the year!
THE RISING/LAST TO DIE ~ SPRINGSTEEN in London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKPoI3lRqI
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2008 at 9:38am by Bitch »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 10:22am
Dexter on Showtime.........how lame is that?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 10:32am
Quote:
i saw 1 show this year.  uncle ted at the chance.  maybe i need to get out more.  good enough for me.  concerts are far to expensive these days.  maybe i'll see some good bar band new years eve.

everybody say ow

Smiley

Eeeww Uncle Ted

You're a poo poo platter

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:39am
SweetVirginia wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 6:33am:
Going to the "Shine A Light" premiere felt like going to a live show, and it's the closest I've ever been to all of the Rolling Stones.

Shine A Light quite possibly ruined any chance of me spending any significant money on a Stones show again. I can't see ever being that close to the video screens at any future show.

I am bummed I only got to see it once. I planned to keep going back but I ended up going to see real live shows just about every night in the month of April.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:41am
Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 10:32am:
Eeeww Uncle Ted

You're a poo poo platter

Stormtroopin', Stranglehold, Cat Scratch Fever, Free For All, Snakeskin Cowboys, Motor City Madhouse - all classic songs. The first time I saw Ted Nugent he had Tommy Aldridge on the drums. If you can tune out the stuff between the songs, he always delivers a top notch show.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:45pm
Three more to add to the best of list -

Sean Wheeler (Throw Rag, Charley Horse, Sun Trash) & Zander Schloss (Circle Jerks) heading into the same territory as many aging punk rockers - folk and country. Just Zander on acoustic guitar and Sean on vocals. Unlike his other bands which can be quite bombastic, I could savor his excellent songcraft though the songs were often surpassed by his stage banter such as the lengthy monologue about how the only 2 things to do in the desert is shoot crank and jack off, delivered in the most graphic detail. This was a last minute thing I only found out about a few hours before. Every Wed in January at the Redwood Inn. 

http://www.myspace.com/seanwheelerzanderschloss

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wheeler+schloss&search_type=&aq=f

Chapin Sisters at a food drive at the Hard Rock Cafe at Universal. Their cover of the Smiths I Know It's Over gives me chills. I was sitting right next to the PA directly to the side of the stage so it had a bit more of an effect on the senses as the other shows I have seen. You can hear I Know It's Over recorded live here -  (There is also video on the Amoeba site)

www.myspace.com/thechapinsisters

Doing Madonna's Borderline in NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3S8UEUvHHg

Santa Sabbath at my friend's birthday party last night. Local musicians doing Black Sabbath songs with Christmas lyrics. Otherwise the songs were real faithful musical renditions only with 3 guitars and it was very loud. In honor of my friend's birthday they went interdenominational this year with "Electric Hannukah." Members of Clawhammer, Backbiter and The Dickies among others.

Maybe something will turn up on YouTube

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 6:13pm
Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 10:32am:
Quote:
i saw 1 show this year.  uncle ted at the chance.  maybe i need to get out more.  good enough for me.  concerts are far to expensive these days.  maybe i'll see some good bar band new years eve.

everybody say ow

Smiley

Eeeww Uncle Ted

You're a poo poo platter

well i will agree he's not the most handsomest rock star around.  what do you expect from someone who is 60?

really?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)