Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brian Jones guitar playing - r&r circus (Read 1,824 times)
Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Brian Jones guitar playing - r&r circus
Dec 4th, 2008 at 4:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Over the years there's been some posts mentioning that Brian's guitar may have been, aside from No Expectations, turned off during the Rock & Roll Circus filming. This isn't true!

Through careful OCD analysis of both the official DVD,CD and bootleg recordings such as the alternative versions of Parachute Woman and YCAGWYW I managed to work out what Brian played. 

I believe Brian's guitar would have been fairly audible to the live audience, but on the official releases it is mixed way down. The bootleg recordings allow us to hear his guitar that little bit clearer though, but even then it is still quite low in the mix in comparison to the other players.

Anyway, here is some recordings I did to give a general idea of what Brian played. These are not note for note transcriptions, but a summary of what I've managed to work out. 

For each respective track you will hear an approximation of what Brian played on it's own, following that you will hear Brian's part with an approximation of what Keith played together. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CDkxwK0Sk

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Brian Jones guitar playing - r&r circus
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 6:53pm
Philip, this is wonderful!! Enjoyed it tremendously, and you are quite talented...Smiley I left a comment for you... Cool

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

sammy davis jr.
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 8:06pm
That's cool man....thanks for posting.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 9:43pm
That's very interesting, and very well done. Thank you.

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:36am
I could be totally imagining this, but years ago on late night television while in a 'haze' I saw a version of 'You can't always get what you want' from the Rock'n'roll circus that had the acoustic guitar from the 'Let it bleed' album version on very audible playback at the start of the song, and Brian's guitar was also very audible.... problem was he was a bit out of time and out of tune a bit too..... I think this is why he was faded down on the finished mix..... but as i say, I may have imagined all this..... in any case the combination of Keith's '57 Les Paul Custom black beauty and Brians Goldtop should have sounded great together... all things going well.

I love the '56 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Brian used the for the R'R circus. Great guitars and worth a fortune now. I was wondering Philip, what guitars did you use for the Youtube samples? Very good approximation of the tones used by Keith and Brian.

And Philip..... THAT'S what I call POSTIN' !!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:02am
Perhaps you saw the short clip of them playing it on their 25x5 restrospective?  It features the acoustic overdub version.

Brian's goldtop was a 67/68 'reissue' of a 56.

I used my 2001 historic R-7  les paul custom in to a 1967 Vox Supreme rig, exact same amps the stones used from March 1967 till sometime in 1969.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:12am by Philip »  

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:02am
I didn't realise that Brian's Goldtop was the '68 reissue..... how did you find that out? I'm no expert but the 50's models looked pretty similar to Brian's.

The amp sound you pulled was great! Do you play in a band at all, or have any released music? You should. Thanks for that info.....

Guitar wise I have a Rickenbacker 330/12, the same model that Brian is playing above, but a year 2000 job. I also have an original '63 Firebird V - similar to Brian's but mine is the two pickup version. It is a killer guitar. Johnny Winter uses this model as his main slide guitar as you probably know. Plus a couple of other electrics.... the 'Pete Townsend' machines I call them.... a '72 Les Paul Deluxe (with a Seymour Duncan '59 pickup in the bridge position) and a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton signature model from '90, which has the lace sensor pickups and is the guitar that Pete has been using live for years now. I love The Who as well.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:01am
Philip, I'm really impressed.  But what's OCD analysis (obsessive compulsive disorder?  Smiley)

Seriously, how many hours did this project take you?

Beautiful axe and amp too!  You rock!
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:04am by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:10am
stones67 wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:02am:
I didn't realise that Brian's Goldtop was the '68 reissue..... how did you find that out? I'm no expert but the 50's models looked pretty similar to Brian's.

The 67/68 gold tops had different vol/tone knobs.

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:11am
Zack wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:01am:
Philip, I'm really impressed.  But what's OCD analysis (obsessive compulsive disorder?  Smiley)

Seriously, how many hours did this project take you?

Beautiful axe and amp too!  You rock!

Yeah obsessive hah! OCD is just lil joke thing really.

I worked out what Brian played ages ago, rechecked things again recently, but only got round to recording something the other day.

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:14pm
These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

Stewed n Keefed
Rocks Off Regular

Please don't judge me
too harshly

Kent,England.
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 4:35am
Thank you so much Phillip,what a great job and you have confirmed what I've always thought Brian had played:)

... Posts: 4601 | Registered: Dec 2002 |

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:48am
Glad folks are finding this interesting.  I wasn't sure what kind of reception it was going to get as it shows that what Brian played was very basic.

If you watch the DVD, towards the end of YCAGWYW when Keith starts riffing heavier and Mick is facing the band, wiggling his ass with his hands together/arms above his head Brian goes to the D chord too early... Proof that he can be heard on the official release is right there as you hear this mistake.

IP Logged

Noonan McKane
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:58pm
Brilliant work, Philip.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 4:53am
Good work Philip  Smiley

I must admit though, I wasn't aware this particular Brian contribution was was viewed with suspicion. I always thought Brain was audiable enough on the slide, though perhaps that is because I just haven't heard it in a good while.

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #15 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:24am
Thanks!

Brian's guitar is considerably louder on No Expectations, but the other tracks on which he plays guitar feature him way back in the mix resulting in some people believing he was either turned off or simply not recorded. 

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #16 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 4:20pm
Thanks Philip, for the recording differance between Keith & Brian, I think both of them were up for days, on top of being totally wasted, that The Stones decided never to release R&R Circus, for years, they said their performance was never up to par, The Who Blew them of the stage, on because The Who Had Been performing for years on stage, & were very talented, where about's The Stones never practised for years, they have been up for days, take a look at the footage of Salt of The Earth, Brain is so wasted & drunk, that it's pathetic, it's like he has lost his way, & this was in Nov. of '68, he died July '69, I'm very sorry for Brian fans, but he was going to die, unless he does something about it, & in those days, there was nothing, no Celebrity Rehab, no nothing, the most disturbing about The R & R Circus is Brian's state,he was wasted, but in a bad way, like he's not going live very long.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 3:00pm
Whilst I agree that they weren't as sharp as they could have been, I don't agree that The Who blew them offstage.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 10:59pm
You know...after years of hearing how sub-par Mick thought the Stones sounded that night, I was more than pleasantly surprised at how GOOD I thought they sounded! Too bad we were deprived of this show for so long---but thankfully the powers that be reconsidered and allowed the R&R Circus to be released! Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Sioux wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 10:59pm:
You know...after years of hearing how sub-par Mick thought the Stones sounded that night, I was more than pleasantly surprised at how GOOD I thought they sounded! Too bad we were deprived of this show for so long---but thankfully the powers that be reconsidered and allowed the R&R Circus to be released! Smiley

glad they finally released it. gonna jam it right now!!!

IP Logged

HardKnoxDurtySox
I'm new!!

Reply #20 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:15am
Sioux wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 10:59pm:

I agree.  I think that Parachute Woman is worth the price of the disc alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)