Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
A Sad Music Situation....from Ian (Read 3,463 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
A Sad Music Situation....from Ian
Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:59pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I know many young people. Today I told one, who is in a band, that The Rolling Stones and The Beatles were rivals in the 1960's although neither group felt that they were in direct competition and The two groups were in fact some what friends for the most part.

I told him that the big group debate in the 1960's was Stones vs. Beatles and that they were the frick and frack of music in terms of image and persona (as well as music more than half the time). I told him it is common knowledge that these were the two biggest groups of the 60's.

He had no idea of this and seen The Stones as more less a "joke" (due to late night TV shows making fun of them and things like this most likely) and thought they were never really at the level they were or had the major influence that they did

Finally I named some Stones songs and sang them a bit to him that he knew and liked but did not know The Stones sang them until I informed him.

I just think it is a shame and it is sad. He did not even know The Stones were around when The Beatles were around and just seen them as wrinkly old men that are more less just jokes...

That is uncalled for. This younger generation does not know ANYTHING outside of their bubble and their time frame. I knew that, and other basic things when I was 10 years old.

It is sad these days. 19 out of 20 younger people are in that same vain today where as when we were young we knew who The Beatles, The Doors, The Who etc. etc. were and their music as well but we were not even born when many of these artists were making music. However we also knew the music of our day.

Today kids only know what exists inside their bubble.

It is sad.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re:  A Sad Music Situation....from Ian
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:14am
Thankfully, I was around when all these great bands were making their music, and their mark on history....

True, there is a generation or two who don't know anything earlier than 80's or 90's music. But my daughter, who is 26, was well brought up on the "classics" of the 60's and 70's. And I know quite a few YOUNG boys {from my day care}, in the 10-13 age range, who, thanks to their parents, know all the bands from the Beatles and Stones to Nirvana. So, there is still hope.....Smiley But it really IS up to the older generations to educate the younger ones...

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:51am
Young people suck, and always have done, since i stopped being young.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:56am
Sioux wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:14am:
Thankfully, I was around when all these great bands were making their music, and their mark on history....

True, there is a generation or two who don't know anything earlier than 80's or 90's music. But my daughter, who is 26, was well brought up on the "classics" of the 60's and 70's. And I know quite a few YOUNG boys {from my day care}, in the 10-13 age range, who, thanks to their parents, know all the bands from the Beatles and Stones to Nirvana. So, there is still hope.....Smiley But it really IS up to the older generations to educate the younger ones...

Yeah, to a point. Radio today has so much to do with it as well. I can remember hearing ocassional classics along with the new stuff when I was a kid on the same major station. Today, it is simply unheard of in that if they played Brown Sugar or something on the major top 40 stations.

That has alot to do with it as well as Rock n Roll in general is not main stream what so ever with The young kids today. It is all hip/hop, or pop/rock garbage or some sort of metal. Other than that the kids really don't know of anything eles today at all on their own. Nor do most of them, if not brought up with classic stuff by their parents do they care to even give it a chance. They just want more of the same and have no interest in taking note of the pasts goodies it seems.

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:58am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:33am
corgi37 wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:51am:
Young people suck, and always have done, since i stopped being young.
\

Post of the week!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:24am
Someone I knew thought that Sticky Fingers was the stones first album!  Smiley

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:20am
All the young people I know can name at least a handful of classic rock artists and tunes. Aerosmith is huge, as is AC/DC and the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Elvis...Biggest is definitely Guns n' Roses and Slash.

And EVERYONE who gives a rat's ass about music knows that Keith is the baddest motherfucker to ever strike a chord.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:22am by Holden »  

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:47am
Ian Billen wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:56am:
That has alot to do with it as well as Rock n Roll in general is not main stream what so ever with The young kids today. It is all hip/hop, or pop/rock garbage or some sort of metal. Other than that the kids really don't know of anything eles today at all on their own.
Ian

So what ? At some point, some of them will hear a hip hop song that will make them all warm and fuzzy inside, and they'll set out to find as much good music as they can. For the others, music will just remain one nice-but-unimportant part of their life. Seems to me like it's always been like that.

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:40am
I remember during those 60's debates when I was young Beatles versus Stones.We thought they invented all that great music until as we aged we began to hear of Muddy Watters/Chuck Berry and all the originals.Youth is wasted on the young.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:58am
Philip wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:24am:
Someone I knew thought that Sticky Fingers was the stones first album!  Smiley

Its an odd paradox when you see the Stones portrayed in the media as being a relic of the 60's and then read some of the message boards, where you would get the impression that as far as a lot of Stones fans are concerned, the band dont seem to exist musically prior to 1968. If anything, they come across as almost exclusively a 70's act.

Seen plenty of examples over the last few years where people attending Stones concerts have been asked about Brian Jones, and they genuinely didn't know who he was. Not just the stereotypical casual concert attendees either - I remember seeing that ignorance admitted by a group of fans who had travelled from England to the ABB tour openah at Fenway in 2005.

To get back to Ian's post, its a natural result of music on radio and TV becoming more and more genre-specific. You can quite happily exist in a vacuum and only listen/watch the sort of music that you know will interest you. To some extent, most of us are a bit like that. There's a lot of music I know that I have no interest in from what little of it I've heard, so I have no inclination to listen to it willingly and therefore am pretty ignorant of it.

In the Stones case, aside from media ageism, you can put it down to those two factors which have been the problem for most of this decade. Not producing/promoting new material and also making their main product (ie their live shows) an elitist form of entertainment which is unaffordable to a large section of a potential audience. They're not getting new, younger fans because those people dont see their 'product' on TV, hear it on the radio and because they cant afford to go and see them. You have to ask yourself, despite the band's large success down the years, that if they stopped now, how many people in 10-20 years time are going to be around to care?

At the end of the day, the music industry targets a certain type of consumer and ends up getting the type of fans it deserves. Some of the acts who adopt the same ethos end up doing the same.

There's a generation of society who, unfortunately, can only name the members of the Stones (or most of them) because their names are still in the media spotlight for reasons that arent to do with music. So, Mick is nothing more than an ageing lothario, Keith is that ancient looking eccentric who falls out of trees and Ronnie is that dirty old man who ran off with a teenager - just like that other guy in the band did over 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:35am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 2:16pm

Avoid stupid people with limited musical knowledgable and taste and you will live a long happy life!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 4:34pm
Quote:
Avoid stupid people with limited musical knowledgable and taste and you will live a long happy life!

But that's getting harder and harder to do... Sad

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:28pm
Sioux wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 4:34pm:
Quote:

But that's getting harder and harder to do... Sad

no it isn't, it is just amatter of perspective! The older we get, the more out of touch alot of us are with youth culture, as well as being in a group that was once very much in touch with youth culture... there's a paradox for many of us, and it can be overcome easily. Avoiding young stupid people with no musical taste, I did it when i was 12, I can do it in my 40's!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:33pm
dudes are old...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:37am
Quote:

Well, I prefer to call this young bloke "uneducated" in terms of music and it's history. The reason being is he is interested and will give things a listen. He likes what I have given him thus far and seems interested. I think that, in itself, lends a bit to his intellect. Otherwise I just wouldn't bother and would of passed it off.

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:39am
Gazza wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:58am:
Philip wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:24am:
Someone I knew thought that Sticky Fingers was the stones first album!  Smiley

Its an odd paradox when you see the Stones portrayed in the media as being a relic of the 60's and then read some of the message boards, where you would get the impression that as far as a lot of Stones fans are concerned, the band dont seem to exist musically prior to 1968. If anything, they come across as almost exclusively a 70's act.

Seen plenty of examples over the last few years where people attending Stones concerts have been asked about Brian Jones, and they genuinely didn't know who he was. Not just the stereotypical casual concert attendees either - I remember seeing that ignorance admitted by a group of fans who had travelled from England to the ABB tour openah at Fenway in 2005.

To get back to Ian's post, its a natural result of music on radio and TV becoming more and more genre-specific. You can quite happily exist in a vacuum and only listen/watch the sort of music that you know will interest you. To some extent, most of us are a bit like that. There's a lot of music I know that I have no interest in from what little of it I've heard, so I have no inclination to listen to it willingly and therefore am pretty ignorant of it.

In the Stones case, aside from media ageism, you can put it down to those two factors which have been the problem for most of this decade. Not producing/promoting new material and also making their main product (ie their live shows) an elitist form of entertainment which is unaffordable to a large section of a potential audience. They're not getting new, younger fans because those people dont see their 'product' on TV, hear it on the radio and because they cant afford to go and see them. You have to ask yourself, despite the band's large success down the years, that if they stopped now, how many people in 10-20 years time are going to be around to care?

At the end of the day, the music industry targets a certain type of consumer and ends up getting the type of fans it deserves. Some of the acts who adopt the same ethos end up doing the same.

There's a generation of society who, unfortunately, can only name the members of the Stones (or most of them) because their names are still in the media spotlight for reasons that arent to do with music. So, Mick is nothing more than an ageing lothario, Keith is that ancient looking eccentric who falls out of trees and Ronnie is that dirty old man who ran off with a teenager - just like that other guy in the band did over 20 years ago.

Yeah ....pretty much sums it up, ..what you just wrote.

Ian

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 2:01am
Quote:

I agree especially when it comes to Music, They seem to be very narrow minded, When I became aware of music, I had to find the roots of my favorites, Without the Beatles and the Stones , I would have never paid any Attention to The real greats, that influenced them: Chuck, Richard, Bo, Fats, Jerry Lee, Elvis, Howling Wolf, Krupa, Jones, Goodman, and more way ahead of my time.

image8.jpg (62 KB | )
image8.jpg

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:10am
Kilroy Wrote:

"I agree especially when it comes to Music, They seem to be very narrow minded, When I became aware of music, I had to find the roots of my favorites"....

Exactly. When I was younger I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about from the previous era or  eras.

I wanted to see what the artists were like that always got that legendary status and why they had that status. I was curious. This is what got me listening to them, as well as the radio didn't totally ignore previous era's as they do today.

Today, most of the younger generation

A. is totally unaware or B. Just doesn't care ....  or C. both (which is usually the case).

They only care about the here and now (which right now is pretty bad as far as music eras go). Then in a year or two they could care less about who they liked even a short while ago and they never seek out, or listen to them again.

They truly seem to be tremendously narrow minded today and have no attention span to the groups that do spark their interest today. My generation wasn't like that. We were interested in the classics as well as the new stuff. We liked classic groups and the new stuff that was good and we listened to them both.

Ian
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:16am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:46am
Ian Billen wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:10am:
My generation wasn't like that. We were interested in the classics as well as the new stuff. We liked classic groups and the new stuff that was good and we listened to them both.

Ian

A very inaccurate generalization that fails to explain phenemenon such as the Partridge Family or the Carpenters.  Bad pop and its adherants have always been with us.  Stop talking to adherants.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:59pm
lotsajizz wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:46am:
My generation wasn't like that. We were interested in the classics as well as the new stuff. We liked classic groups and the new stuff that was good and we listened to them both.

Ian

A very inaccurate generalization that fails to explain phenemenon such as the Partridge Family or the Carpenters.  Bad pop and its adherants have always been with us.  Stop talking to adherants.

Today, the mainstream only focuses on bad pop and not any of the good stuff. During the days of The Partridge Family or The Carpenters you may hear them on one song, and the next song you'd hear someone worth wild. Today, top 40 is mostly bad pop, or hip-hop minus the good stuff (for the most part).

Just think about it, when was the last time a good rock song hit the top 40?...

Ian

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:13pm
You know who sold more albums than anyone in 1967 and 1968?  The Monkees....old people have been bitchin' about an imaginary "good old days" since the dawn of time.  The reality is that there never were any "good old days".

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 2:43pm
Ian Billen wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:59pm:

Ian

A very inaccurate generalization that fails to explain phenemenon such as the Partridge Family or the Carpenters.  Bad pop and its adherants have always been with us.  Stop talking to adherants.

Today, the mainstream only focuses on bad pop and not any of the good stuff. During the days of The Partridge Family or The Carpenters you may hear them on one song, and the next song you'd hear someone worth wild. Today, top 40 is mostly bad pop, or hip-hop minus the good stuff (for the most part).

Ian

I don't know about top 40, but I been hearing a bunch of Raconteurs during some NFL games...
Jizzy is right, people are looking back and talking like the pop charts were dominated by great bands and today it is dominated by crap bands... Pop culture has always been 95% crap... I have always been repulsed by this trend, which explains why I got into the very unpopular punk music back in the 80's.  Bands like The Replacements are now hailed as heros and recognized for being great and influential... Shit nobady listened to them back then or bought their records to even begin to compare with how they are recognized, and the bands that did sell back then, most sucked and are forgotten... This trend existed in the 60's and 70's, and not until the 90's did pop culture and the underground collide, and it lasted a second! Thank god!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:05pm
I must admit that I don't really know a lot of teenage guys anymore.......but back in the 60's, it seemed like everyone was so blown away by the music {starting with the British Invasion, as much of the "rock & roll" in the U.S. in the early 60's was pretty bland stuff} that they were all forming bands, in one form or another. "Garage" bands sprang up everywhere. And good instruments were not a necessity!  I remember my younger brother and his "band"....he played ukulele, another kid had a cheap acoustic guitar....and the drummer, seriously, beat on some garbage can lids. Worse than primitive, of course, but the interest and the drive were there. Of course, they all graduated to bigger and better bands.....

I know a few kids who play guitar now, but I just don't see the passion and the fervor that the guys had back when they knew they just HAD to try to make the music they were hearing on the radio.....

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:43am
I do my part in educating young people and since I have high school and college age kids, with friends at my house alot, its easy to do. I start with the R&R Circus Video, and tell them to watch it while I make some snacks. That always works, and its amazing that once they see how youngs these guys were when these bands started up, they can appreciate them and begin to take an interest in the way it was in the 60's and 70's. Point is, once you open their eyes they take it from there, and they like it!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:47am
Hey, that's a brilliant idea, Bitch...Smiley Subtle..and you make them think it was THEIR idea to get interested in the band... Grin Wow!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:22pm
Ian  what did he say when you had to explain Frick and Frack to him?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 1:41am
andrews27 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:22pm:
Ian  what did he say when you had to explain Frick and Frack to him?

Ha. Lots may of thought this was an older brand of dog food like Kibbles and Bits, or perhaps they might of determined "frick and frack" was the hippies version of the snack Fiddle Faddle.

Ian

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:28am
We simply have to realise that all the great bands suck tom 99% of kids. And that's fair enough. It's like asking cool cats in 1969, while grooving to Let it Bleed, to dig Al Jolson.

The trouble today is radio. Either the golden oldies only play a handful of a bands songs. Hence, it's quite easy to be sick to death of Satisfaction. Major FM stations either dont play older stuff, or like our MMM.Fm play a smattering of oldies. But i've noticed lately that they play NO 60's songs. No Beatles, Who, Stones, Hendrix - maybe a hint of Doors. MMM.Fm is like a boys station. Lots of sport, comedy, "meat and potatoes" rock. They tried girlying it up, but that failed. It's the station where Kings of Leon are the new band, and Nickelback is on high rotation. Any oldies, mainly from the 80's, would be Cold Chisel, U2 and Inxs. Their 70's list is even shorter. Maybe, a teeny bit of Zeppelin - though they too are relegated to golden oldies. It's the station panel beaters, mechanics and sub-contractors listen to. ANd it's such a shame, as it used to be such an awesome station. They would play classic Stones along with new Stones. They'd play album tracks (ALBUM TRACKS!!) and full versions of songs. The greatest travesty in the world is to hear the edited Light my Fire.

I hate "indy" youth radio, as it's all sooooooo precious and self-indulgent. And every 2nd word is either "um" or "like".

There was an interesting article i read a few weeks ago. The real, real oldies station is adjusting it's play list because the demographic is not only people who dig 40's, 50's, 60's and easy listening stuff, but is now including boomers and younger. "As tears go by" was mentioned as being added, and i think "Angie". So, folks, we are sliding real fast into irrelevance.

It's really spooky to think that Nirvana was nearly 20 years ago, and GnR were OVER 20 years ago! Shit, The Cult's Sonic Temple is 21 years old!

EEEK!!

I actually prefer wrinkly talk back these days. Only to have a laugh at all the oldies whining about everything. Fuck i hate old people.

Until i become one. I'll be the coolest old fucker on the block.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #28 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:54am
Ian Billen wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:59pm:

Ian

A very inaccurate generalization that fails to explain phenemenon such as the Partridge Family or the Carpenters.  Bad pop and its adherants have always been with us.  Stop talking to adherants.

Ian

Growing up the 70s I rarely heard anything worth wild on the radio.

I DJ on Saturday nights at a local club, playing 50s and 60s rock and roll/soul to 150+ mainly under 30s, who religiously support the gig, dance like maniacs, and tell all their friends about.  The club never isn't packed.  We never play the hits, or rarely play the hits, because they have too much weird association to them via movies, commercials, whatever.  But we also never fail to play the Stones, and the Stones never fail to slay.  I have several under 20 fans of the Replacement Party, my radio show specializing in weird-ass rock and roll and other shit.  But my audience at the Admiral and on the Replacement Party is the vast minority.  People born in the late 80s or whatever, why are they gonna for the most part care about something happened 20 years before they were born?  A few are gonna study history and learn about "good stuff", but many more are gonna take their culture as it comes.

"Kids these days and their crap music" is what people who've lost it say.  You may not relate (I don't relate to a lot, even a lot of underground stuff) but don't pretend that you understand what it sounds like to someone 20+ years younger than you.  Remember the kids in the old flicks saying their parents just don't "get" what rock and roll means?  That is you, and this is now.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #29 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:42am
I found the best ways to keep from acting like an old fart are to, play loud rock and roll often, talk to all the women you meet like they are amking you so horny you might bust a nut in your jeans, and tell your kids it is their responsibilty to fuck shit up when you're dead and gone.
If you're not doing this, what gets you outta bed?

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 12:49pm
corgi37 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:28am:
It's really spooky to think that Nirvana was nearly 20 years ago, and GnR were OVER 20 years ago! Shit, The Cult's Sonic Temple is 21 years old!

In the past few weeks I have The Breeders, The Melvins and Smashing Pumpkins. It's like 1994 all over again.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #31 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 10:14pm

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #32 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:43pm
Frick and Frack, it must be remembered, were the subject of a repeated non-sequitur gag on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In show, though of course they made no appearance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_and_Frack

Many people believe, erroneously, that "Frick" was a reference to tyrannical Pittsburgh steel and coal baron Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919).  But I always say, "Fruck that Frick!"
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:58pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #33 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:56pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:54am:
"Kids these days and their crap music" is what people who've lost it say.  You may not relate (I don't relate to a lot, even a lot of underground stuff) but don't pretend that you understand what it sounds like to someone 20+ years younger than you.  Remember the kids in the old flicks saying their parents just don't "get" what rock and roll means?  That is you, and this is now.

Let's do some math, just off the top of my head:

"Don't Pull your Love Out on me, Baby," Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds
"Green-eyed Lady," Lighthouse
"Louie, Louie," Stories
"Why Can't we Live Together," Timmy Thomas

vs.

Britney
Justin
Miley
Kanye

This is why I always say, "Fruck that Frick!"

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:27pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #34 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:59am
Seems like your head is pretty frucking freductive, not to mention half frull, considering you can illustrate with songs on one side and mere names on the other.  You gonna put up a bunch of one hit wonders (which is where the pop action almost always is) against big stars of the day?  Unfair to modernity, says I, and thence shall cite MIA's Paper Planes and, oh, Rehab as evidence that all hast not gone straight to hell.  And declare pubically there is less worst wild things in this world than Kanye.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:06am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 12:27pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:59am:
Seems like your head is pretty frucking freductive, not to mention half frull, considering you can illustrate with songs on one side and mere names on the other.  You gonna put up a bunch of one hit wonders (which is where the pop action almost always is) against big stars of the day?  Unfair to modernity, says I, and thence shall cite MIA's Paper Planes and, oh, Rehab as evidence that all hast not gone straight to hell.  And declare pubically there is less worst wild things in this world than Kanye.

Justin isn't even the worse Stones special guest on the Licks tour.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #36 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:42pm

Well, that was the point of the mathematical exercise: that this relative junk was more accomplished and memorable than the output of Today's Newest Hitmakers.  The equation is merely an unbalanced sketch because I can only remember the names of the most annoying stuff I hear in this decade (viz. "Papazao").  

I purposely reserved the big guns for this moment.  Compare Today's Newest Hitmakers, or even those from 1985-2000, to 1970s Steely Dan, Bowie, Springsteen, Curtis Mayfield, Bob Marley, Patti Smith, the Clash and all punk rock...and all one is left holding is wishful thinking, and the need to perpetuate one's critical faculties by bringing artists of the Declining Ages into the pop discourse by the default criteria of their being All That's Left.  It's what the estimable Robert Christgau and the execrable Milo Miles had to do with Marshall Mathers to keep getting paid and broadcast occasionally on NPR.  It's rather like celebrating the final Roman emperors, such as the epicene Heliogabalus and the infant Romulus Augustus.

Peace-out, gangsta!  Which posse ya gonna remembah when ya 64?
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:54pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:13pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:42pm:

Well, that was the point of the mathematical exercise: that this relative junk was more accomplished and memorable than the output of Today's Newest Hitmakers.  The equation is merely an unbalanced sketch because I can only remember the names of the most annoying stuff I hear in this decade (viz. "Papazao").  

I purposely reserved the big guns for this moment.  Compare Today's Newest Hitmakers, or even those from 1985-2000, to 1970s Steely Dan, Bowie, Springsteen, Curtis Mayfield, Bob Marley, Patti Smith, the Clash and all punk rock...and all one is left holding is wishful thinking, and the need to perpetuate one's critical faculties by bringing artists of the Declining Ages into the pop discourse by the default criteria of their being All That's Left.  It's what the estimable Robert Christgau and the execrable Milo Miles had to do with Marshall Mathers to keep getting paid and broadcast occasionally on NPR.  It's rather like celebrating the final Roman emperors, such as the epicene Heliogabalus and the infant Romulus Augustus.

Peace-out, gangsta!  Which posse ya gonna remembah when ya 64?

There is plenty of great music out there today, it just takes a bit of effort to find it. Also the way the mind processes and responds to music is possibly biological in nature so once again you are just proving NastyHabits original points that if you think the music of 30 years ago is so much better, it really IS because you are old.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

silver rainbow
Rocks Off Regular

on main street(cheesy i know)
Reply #38 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:27pm
Hey! i'm a young rolling stone fan but i must admit alot of the young people are kinda stupid about the  beatles and the stones for instance  when keith fell out of the tree i told my friend about it and she said keith richards isn't he in the beatles? so yeah alot of them can be quite dumb but not all of them i actually do my musical background search but i don't know about the rest of em' Cool

If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet. ~keith

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #39 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:37pm
ijwthstd wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:13pm:
There is plenty of great music out there today, it just takes a bit of effort to find it. Also the way the mind processes and responds to music is possibly biological in nature so once again you are just proving NastyHabits original points that if you think the music of 30 years ago is so much better, it really IS because you are old.

No - just experienced at 49 in ways Nasty isn't at 39.  I know what decline is; to know that is to process stimuli sociologically rather than biologically.  And I know that the only form of response available to the wits on forum boards is the ad-hominem attack, which is why I closed with that gambit rather than opening with it.  Your grand game was?...

I actually rather admire eminem, though I prefer my vituperative psychodrama with a bit of melody behind it, as on Dylan's "Idiot Wind."  Makes the murder sing, dunnit?  And (speaking of biological processing) ranting over melody permits a nuance of love to enter the song.  I don't hear that in Hip-hop, and I don't even hear nuance in mainstream hits today.

It didn't used to take effort, and when it did, the rewards were greater, as in 1970-1985.  And isn't effortless enjoyment the point of pop music?  One should have to hunt for pop culture, as if for an unsoiled bargain at Goodwill?  This hardly a marketplace makes.

It's not a matter anymore of preferring "Strangers in the Night" to "Eight Days a Week."  Sorry, but the songs are shit today.  And the up-and-comers (Rilo Kiley, Fiery Furnaces, et al) haven't got a patch on, say, REM in their start-up phase.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:58pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #40 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:06pm
silver rainbow wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:27pm:
Hey! i'm a young rolling stone fan but i must admit alot of the young people are kinda stupid about the  beatles and the stones for instance  when keith fell out of the tree i told my friend about it and she said keith richards isn't he in the beatles? so yeah alot of them can be quite dumb but not all of them i actually do my musical background search but i don't know about the rest of em' Cool

Silver R, I hold no brief against young people, being a teacher.  What I despise is the loss of pop craftsmanship among the elders that write for today's recording artists.  And the producers, and the execs....  May we all know better pop and better times.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:09pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #41 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:22pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
No - just experienced at 49 in ways Nasty isn't at 39.  I know what decline is; to know that is to process stimuli sociologically rather than biologically.  And I know that the only form of response available to the wits on forum boards is the ad-hominem attack, which is why I closed with that gambit rather than opening with it.  Your grand game was?...

You are overanalyzing there.

Quote:
I actually rather admire eminem, though I prefer my vituperative psychodrama with a bit of melody behind it, as on Dylan's "Idiot Wind."  Makes the murder sing, dunnit?  And (speaking of biological processing) ranting over melody permits a nuance of love to enter the song.  I don't hear that in Hip-hop, and I don't even hear nuance in mainstream hits today. 

I don't listen to radio or watch MTV so I don't really have the first clue what are hits today. I guess if the gigs are in larger venues, the band is a bit more popular. I still have no problem coming across all sorts of great music. I don't listen to Eminem that much though there is some rap in my collection.

Quote:
It didn't used to take effort, and when it did, the rewards were greater, as in 1970-1985.  And isn't effortless enjoyment the point of pop music?  One should have to hunt for pop culture, as if for an unsoiled bargain at Goodwill?  This hardly a marketplace makes.

Pop culture itself is so much more fragmented now than a few decades ago with music constituting a much smaller piece of the pie. I am talking about music itself, not the billboard charts. And a lot of the best music in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's was taking place underground too.

Quote:
It's not a matter anymore of preferring "Strangers in the Night" to "Eight Days a Week."  Sorry, but the songs are shit today.  And the up-and-comers (Rilo Kiley, Fiery Furnaces, et al) haven't got a patch on, say, REM in their start-up phase.

REM has always bored the hell out of me. So has Dylan now that I think about it.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #42 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:37pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
ijwthstd wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:13pm:

It's not a matter anymore of preferring "Strangers in the Night" to "Eight Days a Week."  Sorry, but the songs are shit today.  And the up-and-comers (Rilo Kiley, Fiery Furnaces, et al) haven't got a patch on, say, REM in their start-up phase.

I've been on an Eminemp3 kick this week and have been jazzed at how well his, um, oeuvre holds up - it delivers laughs and insight into the culture-at-large through the admittedly limited perspective of narcissism that is at the heart of his discourse.  As far as the lack of melody in his spite and ire, I don't agree at all.  I would cite, say, Renagade, from Jay-Z's Blueprint, on which Mr. M raps like a demon, as melodic infusion into the beat driven id spew.  But if you don't hear melody bolstering lyrical murder there, ask yourself (this is a discussion, not a gambit, so your honest response is welcome) if that's the song or your ears.

And I agree with you that Mr. Christgau delivering pronouncements on, say, Vampire Weekend is ridiculous, and that making new releases 'canonical' A plusses in the same sense that Countdown to Ecstasy is an A+ is absurd.  The Dean was on it in the 70s and 80s, when popular music was being made for his demographic.  My point is that there is a ton of music out there not being pitched to or most importantly made for 39 me or 49 you or 6whatever Rob the C-goo.  And pretending that there is still some kind of center from which one can discuss the pop music of 2008 is nuts. I don't think consensus can be made about this stuff and there's not still some kind of "industry" that can deliver a marketplace rather than the crazed chaos of MySpace pages and online downloading free-for-all.  Maybe that has to do with a decline in quality of stuff - it can't catch everyone's ear anymore.  Or maybe things fall apart and the center can't hold.  Or maybe the center was always just an illusion.  

Has there ever been a time when the older generation hasn't said "the music of the youth of today is nonsense"?  Jazz is an abomination in the face of "serious music", BeBop haters, rock and roll dissers who preferred Mantovani for melody and beauty, Robert Crumb and other Yazoo blues fans railing against the Rolling Stones, Jann Wenner hating on punk, Bob Dylan vs. everybody, Keith Richards vs. rap - this is stuff we should be extremely suspicious of lest we become cranky old men with ossified eardrums.  So, yeah, I could list a bunch of personal faves from the last 18 years that for me have some heavy juice and continue to please me when I stick them in the matrix, and I could ultimately admit that none of it will ever be Let It Bleed, but so what? Does that say more about Let It Bleed or me?  What the hell is good as MacBeth or Moby Dick?  The slope been slipping for centuries, apparently.

Given my druthers I live at the Goodwill hoping for a big fat stack of unsoiled records, preferably 45s, to come out, because so much of my relevant culture comes through the Goodwill, and hell yeah you got to dig for it, not to mention push some other mofo out the way so you can get to it first.  I carry that into my day-to-day, so maybe looking in the alley for my kicks is just what comes natural.   I stepped out a long time ago, and will gladly admit to responding to stimuli biologically rather than sociologically.  My culture is mine own - if it dovetails with the mass-mind than yee haw, join my party, but I'll keep going my own way for another ten years at least, thanks.  Has not served me terribly thus far.  To quote Mr. Idiot Wind, "Every inch of pleasure got an edge of pain, pay for your ticket and don't complain."

We fired our canons 'til the barrel melted down, let's grab an alligator and pull another round.  
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:37am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #43 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:48pm
a take it this is recent mainstream stuff - i love it

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQvXgCcng8

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEgaBTEJuE&feature=related

nuance by the bucket load
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:49pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)