Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stones on Super Audio CD (Read 2,722 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Stones on Super Audio CD
Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Does anyone have a SACD player? Just picked one up yesterday. I'm loving the SACD version of Let It Bleed.

Thoughts? Comments?

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Stones on Super Audio CD
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:40pm
i have been talking about this for years. i bought a sacd player for this set...

track down the beggars banquet disc - it is like nothing you have heard before (to begin with, it is @ the correct speed). the sound is second to none. this disc alone is worth owning a sacd player...

the sacds are out of print now, so they will likely be pricier and harder to find. sacds were released for the entire abkco catalog. there is also a sftd ep sacd that is black with a gold tongue (i have it, but never listened to it - i think there is like a dr dre remix of sympathy on it - i never really had much interest, but it came free when i bought something else from a record dealer on ebay years ago)...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:47pm
I bought the Sony SACD player for the super audio versions ABCKO put out. Paid 100 bucks for the player.  I have a fat stack of Stones I'm going to listen to over the next few weeks.  Judging from Let It Bleed, they did a great job on this.

What is your sound system?  I got mono amps cooking between some Paradigm Studio 40 speakers aided by a Lexicon processor.  Fucking love it.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:30pm
I had an SACD System. It was a Sony SACD player, with a corresponding SACD comapitble receiver before selling it for tuition. Also had a set of nice $1800.00 speakers.

It was fantastic. SACD had such a warm as well as "lively" sound. In addition you could hear every single nuance of the instruments and vocals that you could not hear in the normal PCM CD.

Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers sounded fantastic (especially Wild Horses). When I get caught up, I will again purchase an SACD System. It was a new listening experience. The difference versus the standard PCM CD and SACD was considerably evident.

The closest thing I could compare it too was it was "almost" like Vinyl, without the hiss and pops.

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:33pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:47pm
macdaddy wrote on Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:40pm:
i have been talking about this for years. i bought a sacd player for this set...

track down the beggars banquet disc - it is like nothing you have heard before (to begin with, it is @ the correct speed). the sound is second to none. this disc alone is worth owning a sacd player...

the sacds are out of print now, so they will likely be pricier and harder to find. sacds were released for the entire abkco catalog. there is also a sftd ep sacd that is black with a gold tongue (i have it, but never listened to it - i think there is like a dr dre remix of sympathy on it - i never really had much interest, but it came free when i bought something else from a record dealer on ebay years ago)...

Whole Heartedly Agree. Listening to Beggars on SACD was like we having the actual 2 inch analogue tapes. SACD Beggars, for some reason, was a notch even above the rest. Couldn't believe it when I first heard it. Used to play Beggars for my friends, who weren't really audio nuts like me and even they would say "that's amazing". The standard Beggars Banquet on PCM CD seems like a grade B copy all together now compared to the SACD version.

Ian

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:50pm
I have an SACD player, and all The Stones released on SACD. Beggars is unbelievable, you can really crank it up, if you have a good amp and speakers and really hear all the music, w/o it getting dicey, distorted or having that compressed sound.
SFTD may freak you out the first time you hear it like this or if it has be a long time....

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 7:09am
ian - sticky fingers isnt on sacd (not part of abkco catalog). however, bs and wh are on the hot rocks sacd...

the discs are hybrid, which means even if you do not have an sacd player, you can play the redbook layer. so you can hear beggars at the right speed on regular cd, too (the sacd layer just sounds better)...

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 9:31am
sw - i use a modded jolida valve amp and vintage klipschorn speakers -> imo low wattage from tubes feeding efficient horns is the way to go. the sony sacd unit i have is the cheap changer, the sacd insides of which are the same as the flagship - you pay for the dac and other stuff for the redbook layer, but the sacd guts are the same in all their units (or atleast it was when i bought the machine a few years back). thus i have to run digi-out to my dac, which i would likely do anyway. but to the point, the sacd out via the analog rcas direct to my jolida is the bee's knees (imo).

(sorry i missed your qustion earlier)

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 12:59am
macdaddy wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 7:09am:
ian - sticky fingers isnt on sacd (not part of abkco catalog). however, bs and wh are on the hot rocks sacd...

the discs are hybrid, which means even if you do not have an sacd player, you can play the redbook layer. so you can hear beggars at the right speed on regular cd, too (the sacd layer just sounds better)...

Ok that makes sense. I remember hearing BS and not noticing much difference (a tad is all). I did notice considerable difference on WH though and I took note of that one. However I couldn't remember the other tunes on there. I had Hot Rocks is why. Heart Of Stone had a major difference I can remember on HOT rocks now that you enlightened me.

Now I know why. I do remember several on Beggars though and I remember how more the difference was on Beggars. Any way you look at it by listening on an SACD System you get slight difference to major so you can't loose.

**I also noticed on SACD you didn't have to EQ anything as you might at times on standard redbook PCM CD'd. Everything was perfect. That was strange.

Thanks.

Ian

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:30am
SACD is gone. I'm waiting for full 5.1 remixes on blu ray.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:50am
corgi37 wrote on Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:30am:
SACD is gone. I'm waiting for full 5.1 remixes on blu ray.

It really seems on it's way out ...unless Europe picks it up in this area or something. Here it is so really out of the picture that nobody is interested in it anymore. I am truly disappointed. What a complete let- down in that most consumers bypassed it and now it is really out of the "general publics" interest. 

The thing with Blue Ray 5.1 is that to me, standard Rock music...without any sort of DVD or video to go along with it.... is more suited to basic two channel stereo. I think it is more fitting for "most" rock/pop etc. unless I'm watching a DVD or channeling something in on video.

Although certain acts such as Pink Floyd or possibly a Jazz piece or something classical may be suited to 5.1, 6.1 or even 7.1. Aside from those exceptions I like basic Rock/Pop/ country/ folk etc. blaring out of a good set of speakers on basic two channel stereo. 

Ian

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:52am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 4:54am
I am against remixing two channel music for 5.1.  SACD is alive and well in the States...just check out www.musicdirect.com for releases.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 9:22am
Happy Happy Birthday !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 4:24pm
i have 4-5 of these sacd cd's and i can hear the difference in sound...even on my little portable player.  i like the cardboard cases with the original  artwork.  my high tides and green grass has all the photos in it, just like the record had.  splendid idea that was.

piss off

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 8:05pm
I take it SACD would sound great with a good pair of cans too ? Like the stellar Audio Technica AD-A900 I picked for $200 on eBay.

How does Gimme Shelter sound? The CD version really sucks, poor balance and saturating sound, shameful for such a great song, best ever rock song IMHO!

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #15 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 8:23pm
Wow http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/490 - I need to get this ! Too bad I have a 40Gb PS3 that isn't SACD compatible, hum...found a PHILIPS DVP 900 on eBay for €90 (current price) wonder if that would do the job ?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:04am
The Sony 595 is the player I have. Check for it on the Sony website.

I understand certain Playstation3 units can play SACD.

There are reports that in a double blind test, people cannot tell the difference between SACD and redbook CD. I for one noticed a huge difference this weekend when listening to Beggar's. No Expectations was so beautiful and crisp and clear sounding. Other tracks didn't jump out, but most of them did. The same goes for Let It Bleed, especially the title track and Live With Me.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:22am
Thanks, I didn't realize all the 2002 reissues were SACD...If I'd known I would have bought them...

I downloaded a FLAC torrect of LIB 2002 reissue, from Redbook I suppose, since I can't see how SACD could be ripped, and while it does sound better than my original LIB CD, Gimme Shelter has the same problems, i.e. saturated sound in the loud parts. Wonder if they were able to fix that on the SACD version ?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 7:36pm
Gimme Shelter does not sound good in SACD. What the hell happens at 1:18 in? It's like the bottom fell out of it.

I'm returning to the stereo system for research. Stay tuned.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:06am
On my copy the problems start at 0:48 with saturated sound, very noticeable with headphones.

Listening to SFTD from the BB rip and that's much better. Just like being behond Godard's camera !

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:31am
I was just wondering how SACD compares to Blu Ray since thats the newest thing out these days.

sorry if it's a dumb question but Im not familiar with it!
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:32am by Bitch »  

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:57pm
Hard to tell, so far BR has not been used for pure audio.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:53pm
I was unable to reproduce the earlier problem, but I agree Gimme Shelter has a few issues...must be compression or something. I wonder if a virgin record would show the same problem or not.

I plan on getting more SACD. Some jazz would be really great to hear, but I am loving the Stones releases so far.

I don't know anything about blu-ray outside of the fact it gives much better picture than regular dvd.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:15pm
Yes, HD video, up to 1920x1080 versus 720x576, a world of difference!

Back to SACD, thanks for checking LIB, did you listen to it with headphones ? I really hear the saturation/crackling with my excellent Audio Technical A900 cans.

Beggars (also a FLAC rip of the SACD 2002 releaseà has a much better sound overall. You wonder what happened on LIB considering it was released a year later.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:33pm
Bitch wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:31am:
I was just wondering how SACD compares to Blu Ray since thats the newest thing out these days.

sorry if it's a dumb question but Im not familiar with it!

i am not exactly sure, but i think the sacd has more to do with sound quality and the blue ray thing has more to do with picture quality and maybe better sound than the old regular.   either way you have to listen really hard to "find" the difference.  its pretty much another way for people to make more money...i think.  unless you're some anal musician or actor.  i don't think that was a silly question at all.  i bet 3/4ths the people here don't know the difference.

Are you fucking serious?
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:38pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)