Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Happy Birthday Pete Best (Read 7,872 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Re: Happy Birthday Pete Best
Reply #50 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:34am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #51 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:52am
Great early Beatles pics, some I never seen before, I once read that Pete Best refused to wear his hair in that (later 'known) Beatle cut, which a lot of art students were wearing for years before this, he wanted to stay with the 50's slick back look, I can see why Ringo was accepted, it's his whole personality, while Pete Best was moody & just didn't fit in, & also Ringo was a better drummer.
The album "Live at the star club, Hamburg" was one of my favorites when it was released back in the late 70's, I don't think it ever went to CD, but their versions of Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins were great, even though it wasn't that great of a recording (somebody recorded it on a reel to reel tape recorder) that was made back in the early 60's, but the raw energy of the Beatles, reminds me of Punk rock when it came out in the late 70's, a lot of mistakes but a lot of energy, & by the way, it so happens that Ringo played that night when it was recorded, maybe Pete Best couldn't make it.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #52 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:59am
Starbuck wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 10:51am:
a more famous one i've sure y'all have seen, but the full version...with feej on the right.

i believe this was george's first gig...a wedding of some family friend of the boys, if memory serves.

George's first gig and the first "official" color picture of the boys {from what I've read}.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #53 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:00pm
Starbuck wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:01am:

With Ken Brown....at Mona Best's Casbah Club, I believe.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #54 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:16pm
hardly a club! more like a basement if you ask me...

note cynthia with her eyes on paulie....

the real layout...

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:17pm by Starbuck »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

Seeker of truth and, regrettably,
finder of truth

USA
Reply #55 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:20pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:52am:
Great early Beatles pics, some I never seen before, I once read that Pete Best refused to wear his hair in that (later 'known) Beatle cut, which a lot of art students were wearing for years before this, he wanted to stay with the 50's slick back look, I can see why Ringo was accepted, it's his whole personality, while Pete Best was moody & just didn't fit in, & also Ringo was a better drummer.
The album "Live at the star club, Hamburg" was one of my favorites when it was released back in the late 70's, I don't think it ever went to CD, but their versions of Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins were great, even though it wasn't that great of a recording (somebody recorded it on a reel to reel tape recorder) that was made back in the early 60's, but the raw energy of the Beatles, reminds me of Punk rock when it came out in the late 70's, a lot of mistakes but a lot of energy, & by the way, it so happens that Ringo played that night when it was recorded, maybe Pete Best couldn't make it.

Agreed, I have the album and love it!

There's a lot of different stories put out about Pete's sacking -- one is the hair story, but I think that was part of the larger picture of his not really being "one of the boys", where Ringo was more of a natural fit.  There's also the claim that he just wasn't that good of a drummer.  Not to mention that Mona Best was said to be too domineering and they didn't want to deal with her.  And, finally, some good old fashioned jealousy of Pete being the best looking...

Thanks, Starbuck, I love all these photos when the Beatles were babies  Smiley

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #56 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:23pm
here's pete's brother sitting in his mother's basement/club.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #57 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Yes, Starbuck thanks for the great photos, about Pete Best, compared to Ringo, can you imagine the Beatles hitting America like they did with Pete Best?? in '64, I don't think it took good looks, but a great personality that made The Beatles who they are, Ringo had that, but Pete Best?? I remember him from a T.V. show I can't remember the name, but it was like what's my line or something like that, in the 60's, & he came across like a guy who had no personality at all, he was just dumb struck.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #58 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:20pm
Starbuck wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:22am:
meg? SV? LJ?

Only in your dreams, Bucky!!

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #59 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:40pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:20pm:
meg? SV? LJ?

Only in your dreams, Bucky!!

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #60 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:41pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #61 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:42pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #62 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:44pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #63 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:45pm
w/ gene vincent

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #64 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:47pm
with moonie circa 1962

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #65 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:48pm
meg? SV? LJ?

The "Starbuck Chick Clique"

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #66 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:48pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #67 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:50pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #68 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:52pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #69 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:54pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #70 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:57pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #71 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:58pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #72 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 3:59pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #73 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 4:02pm
20 Flight Rock?
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2008 at 4:58pm by Starbuck »  

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #74 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 4:07pm
i believe that's john on the left...pete shotton and ivan vaughn are in there somewhere too...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)