Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mickey Mouse turns 80  (NSC) (Read 648 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Mickey Mouse turns 80  (NSC)
Nov 18th, 2008 at 5:49pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
80 years ago, Mickey Mouse steamed onto entertainment scene
Published: Tuesday November 18, 2008
Rawstory.com

Eighty years ago, a clothes-wearing rodent named Mickey Mouse whistled his way onto the silver screen, as "Steamboat Willie" made its cinema debut at the Colony Theater in New York.

That day, November 18, 1928, is widely considered the official birthday of Mickey Mouse, even if he was born of the imagination of Walt Disney months before his movie debut and also featured in a short animated film called Plane Crazy, which was made before Steamboat Willie but released afterwards.

Mickey Mouse was created almost by accident: Walt Disney's first cartoon character was a rabbit called Oswald, but the man who was to rise to become a pre-eminent force in global entertainment lost the rights to the rabbit in 1927 and returned to the drawing board.

He came up with a mouse, whom he wanted to call Mortimer.

According to popular legend, his wife preferred the name Mickey, and Walt Disney deferred to her choice.

The storyline of Steamboat Willie is flimsy, politically incorrect and features little, if any, comprehensible dialogue.

But the cartoon marked an animation landmark with its synchronized sound track that includes Mickey whistling and blowing raspberries at the irascible ship's captain, a large tobacco-chewing cat called Captain Pete.

In roughly seven minutes, viewers watch as Mickey Mouse is kicked out of the steering room of a riverboat by Captain Pete; hoists Minnie Mouse on board using a crane that grabs her by the knickers; swings a cat by the tail, strangles a goose and plays keyboard on some suckling piglets as the American folk song "Turkey in the Straw" plays from the innards of a goat.

The hapless mouse ends up paring potatoes in the galley when Captain Pete finds him making music with Minnie and mistreating animals.

Walt Disney wanted to record the soundtrack for Steamboat Willie with big-name studios RCA or Western Electric, but ended up contracting with "the bootleg Powers Cinephone process," according to the Disney website.

"After a disastrous initial recording session, Walt Disney finally recorded the soundtrack with a 15-piece band and his own squeaks for Mickey," the website says.

Just over a year after his debut in Steamboat Willie, on January 13, 1930, Mickey Mouse got his own comic strip, drawn by artist Ub Iwerks.

He made it into the Sunday comics on January 10, 1932, the same year that Walt Disney won a special Academy Award for creating the friendly rodent.

Mickey Mouse has gone on to star in over 120 different cartoons and got his own television show, "The Mickey Mouse Club", in the 1950s, the theme song of which engraved in the minds of a generation of Americans how to spell M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E.

These days, children watch Mickey on the mouse's eponymous Clubhouse, which airs on Playhouse Disney, and his trademark morphology -- the ears, in particular -- feature on items of merchandise ranging from T-shirts to mugs to cuddly toys.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Mickey Mouse turns 80  (NSC)
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:16pm
And I'm always thrilled to read about somebody who's older than I am. LOL Tongue

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:44pm
I knew their was a reason why I wore my Mickey Mouse salutes the flag tshirt today...I just didn't know it at the time...And Mick,ya don't look a day over 79. Wow!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:32am
Mickey is lame. Bugs was always much cooler.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:07am
Yes. The Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies are the best. Compared to those Mickey wasn't all that funny.

Mickey did however give us Annette Funicello, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Chistina Aguilera, so for that we can be eternally grateful.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:20am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:21am
I love Britney again.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 7:17am
corgi37 wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:21am:
I love Britney again.

Yeah. Britney's OK. Christina's OK. Timberlake on the other hand never moved on from the Mickey Mouse Club. Since he quit the New Kids on the block, or whatever the fuck the name of his band was, his accomplishments have been quite mute. At least Christina poses nude once in awhile, and Britney... well she's just a barrell of laughs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)