Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Merle Haggard battling lung cancer (Read 560 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Merle Haggard battling lung cancer
Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:04am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Country star Merle Haggard battling lung cancer
Sun Nov 9, 2008  

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Country singer Merle Haggard, recently diagnosed with lung cancer, had part of a lung removed and is recovering at home, his spokeswoman said on Sunday.

The 71-year-old singer-songwriter underwent surgery on Monday in a Bakersfield, California, hospital.

"I'm feeling good ... better and better each day," Haggard was quoted as saying in a statement. "If not for the love and wisdom of my wife (Theresa), I might not be around today."

Doctors removed the upper lobe of Haggard's right lung after a biopsy revealed that he had non-small cell lung cancer, the statement said. Tests revealed that all the affected tissue was removed.

According to the American Lung Association, non-small cell lung cancer usually spreads to different parts of the body more slowly than the less-common small cell lung cancer.

Lung cancer is the leading cancer killer of men and women in the United States. The expected 5-year survival rate for lung cancer patients is 16 percent, according to the association.

Haggard has been touring and recording since 1965, combining folk, jazz, pop and blues traditions to compose songs that have been covered by the likes of Elvis Costello, the Grateful Dead and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

He is perhaps best known for his anti-hippie anthem "Okie From Muskogee," which topped the charts in 1969. Haggard entered the business following a decade of run-ins with the law, culminating in a stint in California's San Quentin State Prison.

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

The Blues
Re: Merle Haggard battling lung cancer
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:32pm
I absolutely adore Merle "The Hag" and wish him wellness, peace, and comfort.  Be well darlin'.

Sing me back home.....

Martha

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:04pm
i don't listen to him much, but i wish him well.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 7:12pm
It's a shame, and like all of us I wish Merle all the best and hope that he stays comfortable through this ordeal.  But I'd bet that if you asked him, he'd tell you he's surprised he's made it this long.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 8:18pm
My dear brother in law and fellow huge Stones fan is losing his battle with cancer.Hang in there Merle best of luck to you.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 11:57pm
just read he has passed on

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fI2EToAtLDc

it's a pity these types of people have to  die before they are properly appreciated

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:34am
Merle's not dead yet, SIA, but things look pretty grim.  I dunno I'd call Merle under appreciated - I guess in the last decade or so maybe, but he was HUGE in the 60s and 70s and had his hits in the early 80s before country music rolled downhill like a snowball headed for hell.  It's not everyone that has one of his songs get actual attribution as an inspiration for a Dylan number as in Workingman's Blues - most of the time Dylan just steals that shit and leaves you with a lethal dose.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 1:12pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 11:57pm:
just read he has passed on

it's a pity these types of people have to  die before they are properly appreciated

I think that goes for MOST types of people. As they say "you don't know what you've got til its gone."

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:34am:
Merle's not dead yet, SIA, but things look pretty grim.  I dunno I'd call Merle under appreciated - I guess in the last decade or so maybe, but he was HUGE in the 60s and 70s and had his hits in the early 80s before country music rolled downhill like a snowball headed for hell.  It's not everyone that has one of his songs get actual attribution as an inspiration for a Dylan number as in Workingman's Blues - most of the time Dylan just steals that shit and leaves you with a lethal dose.

you're right - they say hes' recovering after surgery  - i know i read it yesterday he had died - trying to rememebr where now so I'll give that site a wide berth in the future

cómo desconcierta!!

Ouch! :funny

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 5:40pm

Thanks for the link, SIA.

And good juju to The Hag.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)