Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jimmy Carl Black  RIP (Read 413 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Jimmy Carl Black  RIP
Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:34pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Frank Zappa's drummer Jimmy Carl Black dies
The Mothers Of Invention man was 70

Nov 5, 2008
NME

Jimmy Carl Black, the drummer for Frank Zappa's legendary band The Mothers Of Invention, has died. He was 70.

Black, who was born in Texas, died in Siegsdorf, Germany on Saturday (November 1), after a bout with lung cancer, reports the Associated Press.

In addition to playing drums, Black sang and played trumpet on several Mothers Of Invention albums.

Born James Inkanish Jr. in 1938, he changed his name to Jimmy Carl Black in 1958 when he adopted his stepfather's name. He repeatedly referred to himself as "the Indian of the group" -- a reference to his Cheyenne Indian ancestry on both sides of his family.

Black also did stints in bands including Captain Beefheart and Geronimo Black, which he fronted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------

Mothers of Invention drummer Jimmy Carl Black dies
By ROBERT BARR –

LONDON (AP) — Jimmy Carl Black, drummer, vocalist and self-anointed "Indian of the group" of Frank Zappa's The Mothers of Invention, has died at age 70.

Black, a native of El Paso, Texas, died Saturday of cancer in Siegsdorf, Germany, according to Roddie Gilliard, a British musician who performed with him.

Born James Inkanish Jr. on Feb. 1, 1938, Black had Cheyenne Indian ancestry through both parents. He changed his name legally to Jimmy Carl Black in 1958, adapting the name of his stepfather, Carl Black.

He was playing in the Soul Giants in Los Angeles in 1964 when the group recruited Zappa.

"He joined the band and three days later he took it over," Black once said.

Zappa changed the group's name and, according to Black, boasted that "if you guys learn my music, I'll make you rich and famous."

"He took care of half of that promise, because I'm damn sure I didn't get rich," Black recalled.

He credited Zappa, who died in 1993, with introducing him to modern classical music and teaching him complex rhythms.

Black appeared on Mothers albums including "Freak Out," "Cruising with Ruben and the Jets" and "Burnt Weenie Sandwich." He played trumpet as well as drumming on the 1968 album "We're Only In It for the Money," and also introduced his catchphrase: "Hi boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, I'm the Indian of the group."

Zappa disbanded the Mothers in 1969, and Black's career thereafter was not lucrative. A recent remix of some of Black's work was titled "Can I Borrow a Couple of Bucks Until the End of the Week?"

The band members were shocked when Zappa fired them.

"We all just got a phone call from him stating that he had decided to break up the band and your salary has ended as of last week. That is pretty cold," Black said once in an interview.

Black later appeared as Lonesome Cowboy Burt in Zappa's film "200 Motels," and in 1980 he worked on five songs from Zappa's "You Are What You Is."

"I had a really good time with Frank at that time and he really treated me great. I even got paid," Black said.

Following the breakup of the Mothers, Black formed a band named Geronimo Black after his youngest son. The band's 1972 album was not a commercial success, and Black went to work in a doughnut shop in Anthony, Texas.

In 1980, he teamed with ex-Mothers Bunk Gardner and Don Preston in The Grandmothers, a band that broke up and reformed several times over two decades.

During one musical lull, Black formed a house-painting company in Austin, Texas, with Arthur Brown. They also made an album, "Brown, Black and Blue."

Black moved to Italy in 1992, then to Germany in 1995, and has appeared as a singer with The Muffin Men, a Liverpool band that specialized in the music of Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

Black is survived by his wife, Monika, whom he married in 1995 following the death of his second wife; three sons and three daughters.

A fundraiser planned in London for Black will go ahead on Sunday, Gilliard said Wednesday.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:41pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Jimmy Carl Black  RIP
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:18pm
rest in peace mr black

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:19pm
RIP

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:05am
I mean after all, what is all this shit in the newspaper,
If we got such a big name, how come....., we're starving man!
This fucking band is starving!
And we've been starving for three years.
I realize it takes a long time but God damn it!
Does it take another five, ten years from now.

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 8:09pm
i enjoyed some of the early zappa material.  rip mr black.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:00pm
I posted a reply... where is it? LOL

Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk

So sorry about this, the indian of the group. Not much talent but he made a great band to cover Zappa, I shared some bootlegs (live and studio) of his band "The Grandmothers" with some regulars of this board

The Grandmothers have a great official release "Eating the Astoria" he released an album this year, and I love it, "Freedom Jazz Dance"

He introduced himself as Jimmy Carl Black the indian of THIS group

I also checked at All Music and apprently he released another album this year

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 8:56am

My sentiments exactly.

Beer is Cool. I mean really fucking cool....
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008 at 8:58am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)