Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Quality Output is at an all time low ....from Ian (Read 5,352 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Quality Output is at an all time low
Reply #25 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:33pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:26am:
I must say that this has been a really dead year for music.

Anyone see my point?

Not really.

In the past few weeks alone I've picked up new ones from Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Lucinda Williams, Oasis, Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson, Joan Osborne and The Pretenders.

Add vault/archive releases Dylan's 'Tell Tale Signs', Grateful Dead's 'Rocking The Cradle, Egypt 1978' and 'The Clash Live At Shea Stadium'.

I've got no complaints...
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:35pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:00pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:33pm:

Anyone see my point?

Not really.

In the past few weeks alone I've picked up new ones from Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Lucinda Williams, Oasis, Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson, Joan Osborne and The Pretenders.

Add vault/archive releases Dylan's 'Tell Tale Signs', Grateful Dead's 'Rocking The Cradle, Egypt 1978' and 'The Clash Live At Shea Stadium'.

I'm with you, Leftie.  Downloading the Clash now that you reminded me.  Pretenders are next . . . 

Aside:  Did you check the setlist from the Dead show the other night?  Zounds! (Methinks they're baaacck!)

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:19pm
Zack wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:00pm:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:33pm:

Anyone see my point?

Not really.

I'm with you, Leftie.  Downloading the Clash now that you reminded me.  Pretenders are next . . .  

Aside:  Did you check the setlist from the Dead show the other night?  Zounds! (Methinks they're baaacck!)

Yeah, I checked it out.
Not their finest hour by any means, but at least they're talking to each other again.
Supposedly have a tour lined up for Spring '09.

Read about it here - http://tinyurl.com/66ddym

10.13.08 soundcheck of 'St. Stephen' - http://tinyurl.com/5pexhx

And if you haven't gotten it already, the Phil & Friends (including Bobby) 5.13 Warfield show is up -
www.archive.org/details/paf2008-05-13.sbd.94895.flac16

Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:24pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Quality Output is at an all time low ....from
Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:22pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:51pm:
Album of the decade is, so far, Love and Theft.  It survived arguably the worst release date in history (Tuesday, September 11, 2001), and people are still listening to it and enjoying - not tolerating - songs from it in concert.  By contrast, nobody listens to the Springsteen album that was current around 9/11, or the one he put out to protest the event.

What current album? By 9/11 he hadnt released a studio album since 1995.

"The Rising" wasnt a 9/11 'protest' anyway, as contrary to popular myth most of the songs were written before the event and/or weren't even inspired by it.  It's sold over 4 million anyway, so I dont know how you can say no one listens to it. Maybe its fallen lower on the radar because he's been so prolific since.

Good choice on "Love & Theft" though. Great record. It actually came out here the day before 9/11. Listening to it in the days that followed, I always found a lot of the lyrics eerily prophetic.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:51pm
I guess then that it comes down to how one defines 'quality'.... granted there may be some satisfactory releases in recent times.... but whether or not many people will still be listening to them in 20, 10 or even 5 years is a moot point.

Love and theft is 'good', but as 'good' as Highway 61 revisited?, or should I say as influential or as memorable, or as much of a landmark?  And what is up there in the quality stakes with say with Beggars Banquet? then again maybe it is just my age..... I first discovered Beggars when I was 14.... I am now 49. It is still on my top 10 favourites of all time, I still keep a burned copy in the car, I still listen to it.... sometimes many times a week as I drive around.

So it might be just my age group. Blink whatever they are called may well be the paragon of excellence their fans claim they are.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:12pm
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Lucinda Williams, Oasis, Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson, Joan Osborne and The Pretenders.

To me this list isn't that impressive. (however I do like The Pretenders latest...but then again... they are an old act themselves so you can't count them to my original argument).

To me, all of these are not totally top notch artists putting out a product with staying power. "Most" of those groups to me are just aren't outstanding and neither is their output for that matter. That is my opinion. What is fact is their music will be long forgotten in 15 years (if not in six or seven years).

Now, compare those artists to my original comparison of ...say 1994. That year we had strong releases from.... Stone Temple Pilots, Aerosmith, Sound Garden, Green Day, Shania Twain, TLC, Maria Carey, Weaser, Nine Inch Nails, Seal, Beck, Hootie and The Blowfish, REM, Korn, Jonny Cash, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty ...(not tom mention our Rolling Stones with Voodoo Lounge) to just name some!

Not all listed above are my cup of tea but still all put out good albums and many were anticipated. Almost all were very well received and were quite notable ****that produced songs we still commonly hear today some 14 years later in which basically everyone knows!

This year we get Ryan Adams, Cold Play, Lucida Williams, and Hanna Montanna... that's sort of a "big whoop" to me. In 14 years, as in comparison from 1994 until now,  nobody will give a hoot about these artists, nor will you hear their music because it just isn't top notch and has no staying power. Saying you will still hear them and people will still care by then is fooling yourself. You won't hear Ryan Adams or Lil Wayne on the radio in 14 years (certainly not that radio play means it's better but it does mean those songs stood the test of time to a strong degree) and they will be long forgotten by then. Consumers, the press, and the general public ( and realistically most, if not all of us) will not care to hear them in 14 years either, much less remember them and their quality output released this year... because it simply isn't that "quality" so to speak. The products these artists have released this year and the artists themselves aren't good enough to have any real staying power as the groups of yesteryear did, and many of those artists from yesteryear are still being played on the radio and on home stereo's alike as well as they are releasing good stuff people now that folks are willing to buy today.

That is the difference to me. Today's output is simply weak compared to yesteryear. If you feel that this years releases can compare and will be notable, as well as will still be substantially played 15 years from now I gotta say your only fooling yourself

Ian

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:27pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #31 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 5:05am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 5:19pm:
[
Read about it here - http://tinyurl.com/66ddym

10.13.08 soundcheck of 'St. Stephen' - http://tinyurl.com/5pexhx

And if you haven't gotten it already, the Phil & Friends (including Bobby) 5.13 Warfield show is up -
www.archive.org/details/paf2008-05-13.sbd.94895.flac16

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Let's go get drunk

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #32 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 6:18am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:12pm:
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Lucinda Williams, Oasis, Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson, Joan Osborne and The Pretenders.

To me this list isn't that impressive. (however I do like The Pretenders latest...but then again... they are an old act themselves so you can't count them to my original argument).

To me, all of these are not totally top notch artists putting out a product with staying power. "Most" of those groups to me are just aren't outstanding and neither is their output for that matter. That is my opinion. What is fact is their music will be long forgotten in 15 years (if not in six or seven years).

Now, compare those artists to my original comparison of ...say 1994. That year we had strong releases from.... Stone Temple Pilots, Aerosmith, Sound Garden, Green Day, Shania Twain, TLC, Maria Carey, Weaser, Nine Inch Nails, Seal, Beck, Hootie and The Blowfish, REM, Korn, Jonny Cash, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty ...(not tom mention our Rolling Stones with Voodoo Lounge) to just name some!

Not all listed above are my cup of tea but still all put out good albums and many were anticipated. Almost all were very well received and were quite notable ****that produced songs we still commonly hear today some 14 years later in which basically everyone knows!

This year we get Ryan Adams, Cold Play, Lucida Williams, and Hanna Montanna... that's sort of a "big whoop" to me. In 14 years, as in comparison from 1994 until now,  nobody will give a hoot about these artists, nor will you hear their music because it just isn't top notch and has no staying power. Saying you will still hear them and people will still care by then is fooling yourself. You won't hear Ryan Adams or Lil Wayne on the radio in 14 years (certainly not that radio play means it's better but it does mean those songs stood the test of time to a strong degree) and they will be long forgotten by then. Consumers, the press, and the general public ( and realistically most, if not all of us) will not care to hear them in 14 years either, much less remember them and their quality output released this year... because it simply isn't that "quality" so to speak. The products these artists have released this year and the artists themselves aren't good enough to have any real staying power as the groups of yesteryear did, and many of those artists from yesteryear are still being played on the radio and on home stereo's alike as well as they are releasing good stuff people now that folks are willing to buy today.

That is the difference to me. Today's output is simply weak compared to yesteryear. If you feel that this years releases can compare and will be notable, as well as will still be substantially played 15 years from now I gotta say your only fooling yourself

Ian

Ian, you need to give yourself an education in music. Sure I agree Coldplay or Hannah Montana will be nothing but a footnote like Duran Duran and Debbie Gibson are now, but Ryan Adams could endure. He's put out maybe too many albums for his own good since emerging, but has been very intriguing for the most part. He could become a respected cult artist in the rock world one day that got ignored in his time, say like the Replacements of the 80s became (even better than Adams and one of the last great rock bands for me).

And please tell me you're not very familiar with Lucinda Williams. I hope that excuses you passing her off. She is one artist who we will look back on as one of the era's finest writers. Sure, she's 55 and has been at recording for 30 years but it wasn't till 1988 that she got going with a major label and only released 3 albums in the following 12 years. Since then though, she's put out 4 and all have been at least quite good. Her first three might be her best (Lucinda Williams-1988, Sweet Old World-1992 and the masterpiece Car Wheels on a Gravel Road-1998, one of the top 5 best albums of the 90s IMO).

If they are considered "acquired tastes" then count me in as one who has acquired the taste and it doesn't take long. Essence is a bit weary for me, but West and World Without Tears grew on me and I can't wait to hear her newest. Lucinda will be in the R&R hall if there's any justice... but Jann Wenner n' co. are usually ignorant to artists without commercial impact. By then, she'll probably be a rockin' granny too. I think you make a good point about the quality of major label releases being so shoddy, but these labels have plumbed the bottom of the barrel for acts lately, especially in rock. How else do you explain acts like Nickelback, Kid Rock, Cold-gay and a ton of identical EMO bands ruling the rock charts?

P.S. Oh and check out Kings of Leon. They're not too underground and still kick some ass.

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:53am

This year we get Ryan Adams, Cold Play, Lucida Williams, and Hanna Montanna... that's sort of a "big whoop" to me. In 14 years, as in comparison from 1994 until now,  nobody will give a hoot about these artists, nor will you hear their music because it just isn't top notch and has no staying power. Saying you will still hear them and people will still care by then is fooling yourself. You won't hear Ryan Adams or Lil Wayne on the radio in 14 years (certainly not that radio play means it's better but it does mean those songs stood the test of time to a strong degree) and they will be long forgotten by then. Consumers, the press, and the general public ( and realistically most, if not all of us) will not care to hear them in 14 years either, much less remember them and their quality output released this year... because it simply isn't that "quality" so to speak. The products these artists have released this year and the artists themselves aren't good enough to have any real staying power as the groups of yesteryear did, and many of those artists from yesteryear are still being played on the radio and on home stereo's alike as well as they are releasing good stuff people now that folks are willing to buy today.

Ahh, the vox populi has spoken.

Allow me to speak for me.

Gauging "quality" music by sales and/or radio airplay is grievously short sighted.

I've always liked what I liked - and plenty of it.
I won't forget it in 15 years. Or 6 or 7.

And that's all that matters to this fool...
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:23am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #34 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:07am
i need to get Cardinology today, and the new Pretenders...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #35 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:11am
Hank III's new album just came out and kicks ass!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #36 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:29am
Today's output is simply weak compared to yesteryear.

Ian, there was one single week in 1969 when the top 5 consisted of Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin II, Let It Bleed, and the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album.  I think that kind of blows away your 1994 list.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #37 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:34am
lotsajizz wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:11am:
Hank III's new album just came out and kicks ass!

thanks for the heads up...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #38 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:47pm
Zack Wrote:

"Ian, there was one single week in 1969 when the top 5 consisted of Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin II, Let It Bleed, and the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album.  I think that kind of blows away your 1994 list."

This wasn't a comparison between 1994 and 1969 Zack? I just off handidly mentioned 94 because I remember it as a good year in music is all. Yes the music between 68 and 74 was in my opinion the most innovative, productive and of the best quality by far compared to any era.

However you point of 1969 in that Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin II, Let It Bleed, and the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album occupying the top ten is exactly what I was making a point of.

This year, and many others in this decade we get people like Lil Wayne, Ryan Adams, and Hanna Montanna...  occupying the charts (Ryan Adams is not bad but still he's not anything real special in my book. His music is OK to me. Sure I will listen to it).

Again certainly not that the charts, radio play, and sales mean quality because they certainly don't. But before there used to be a lot of quality out there on the air waves as well as junk. Now their is almost all junk being played and sold.

See my point.

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #39 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 1:17pm
Pdog wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:07am:

pdog

I like what I heard from The Pretenders new one.

The last time we all had this conversation you suggested some good stuff which I listened to. Do you any more suggestions for us that are out there that's worth giving it a Spin.

I'm always lookin for new stuff. 

Ian

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #40 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 1:35pm
Ian Billen wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 1:17pm:
Pdog wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:07am:

pdog

I like what I heard from The Pretenders new one.

The last time we all had this conversation you suggested some good stuff which I listened to. Do you any more suggestions for us that are out there that's worth giving it a Spin.

I'm always lookin for new stuff.  

Ian

so as not to duplicate or be repatative, what did you like that I suggested?

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #41 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 1:59pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:53am:

Ahh, the vox populi has spoken.

Allow me to speak for me.

Gauging "quality" music by sales and/or radio airplay is grievously short sighted.

I've always liked what I liked - and plenty of it.
I won't forget it in 15 years. Or 6 or 7.

And that's all that matters to this fool...

AMEN!!!

If one only  listen's to the crap on the radio, they are missing a hell of a lot of great music!!!

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #42 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 2:16pm
Ian.. I am always looking for new artists as well as enjoying my old standbys.

You can always check out NPR.org as they usually highlight the up and coming groups.  I have found many a great group on that site as well as discovered 'old' talent that I've missed.

In the last month, I've added too many to mention - a couple of them would be Lucinda, the Cardinals, Dylan, Kaiser Chiefs, Fleet Foxes, Ray Lamontagne, Keane, Snow Patrol, and more... much more Wink Grin

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #43 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:52am
Zack Wrote:

Ian, you need to give yourself an education in music.

How else do you explain acts like Nickelback, Kid Rock, Cold-gay and a ton of identical EMO bands ruling the rock charts?

Gotta to admit it  Embarrassed, Kid Rock's latest album "Rock n Roll Jesus" is a pretty darn good album all the way.
I dig it. Listen to it. It really is not the normal Kid rock stuff for the most part.

P.S. Oh and check out Kings of Leon. They're not too underground and still kick some ass.

Yes. I heard them but have no album. They were cool. I welcome all your opinions and suggestions. Really, I am not in disagreance with you Zack, in that the current line up you happen to like are the better of the ladder and are decent but that is all I can say. To me they are nothing "really" good. They are "not bad" to me is all.

Still you gave really good insight here thank you and please keep the suggestions rolling (if it's done well I will listen to just about anything).

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #44 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:58am
Zack Wrote:

Ian, you need to give yourself an education in music.

I did Guy Smiley Well really music based (Audio Engineering and Production). Later I Worked in the industry for a good while (most times as a second hand scrub really lol). I recorded everything from Jazz to Thrash. Our opinion differs on Ryan Adams is all.

*Regardless taste, and education are really not much connected at all as you know.

How else do you explain acts like Nickelback, Kid Rock, Cold-gay and a ton of identical EMO bands ruling the rock charts?

Gotta to admit it  Embarrassed, Kid Rock's latest album "Rock n Roll Jesus" is a pretty darn good album all the way.
I dig it. Listen to it. It really is not the normal Kid rock stuff for the most part.

I've heard them. ...but have no album. They were interesting to say the least and yes they were cool. No album yet though Sad

Well I do not think Lucida Williams is any Bonnie Raitt as every acts like she is. I think she is "not too bad"..and good artist. But I can't say she is real good.  Actually I have some of her stuff right here. I was given a few CD singles in 05 and in 06.

Still you gave really good insight here thank you and please keep the suggestions rolling (if it's done well I will listen to just about anything).

***By what I can tell I think you may like the group Marjorie Fair. Check out the album - "Self Help Serenede" by them. As well I think you will enjoy Brenden Benson. Check em out if you haven't already.

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008 at 1:15am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #45 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 1:10am
pdog wrote:

"so as not to duplicate or be repatative, what did you like that I suggested? "

Yikes that was a while ago. Raconteers was one (I was reluctant because all I wanted to hear was him with the White Stripes but you persuaded me). Then we wrote how we both liked The Dead Boys (they were nothing short of fantastic. They were a "real" punk band and blew my socks off as a kid).

You named like eight and I listened to three or four of them and then I couldn't find a few groups that you listed.

I don't care if it is duplicated. I will re-listen.

I  been listening to group called Brand New. You may of heard of them. I think you would appreciate them. Check em out.

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008 at 1:19am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #46 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:59am
The Last Shadow Puppets

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #47 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:28am
Ian Billen wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:58am:
Well I do not think Lucida Williams is any Bonnie Raitt as every acts like she is. I think she is "not too bad"..and good artist.

She's not remotely like Bonnie Raitt and, far from "everyone acting like she is", you're the first person I've ever heard suggest that there's any significant similarity.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #48 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:51am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:02pm:
Numbers don't lie.

Ian

Numbers lie very well.

My old teacher was VP business affairs of Casablanca Records.

BY CONTRACT KISS's 4 solo albums had to go gold on the day of release. This gives the impression that they SOLD 500.000 copies that day, they hardly SOLD any. Gold and platinum records are awarded on the number SHIPPED, not sold.

Like he said "somewhere there is a warehouse full of returned KISS solo albums".

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #49 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:52am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 2:16pm:
Ian.. I am always looking for new artists as well as enjoying my old standbys.

You can always check out NPR.org as they usually highlight the up and coming groups.  I have found many a great group on that site as well as discovered 'old' talent that I've missed.

In the last month, I've added too many to mention - a couple of them would be Lucinda, the Cardinals, Dylan, Kaiser Chiefs, Fleet Foxes, Ray Lamontagne, Keane, Snow Patrol, and more... much more Wink Grin

Thank you!! I certainly will check these out. Thank you for all the suggestions. I will let you know what I think.

Ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)