Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Quality Output is at an all time low ....from Ian (Read 5,353 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Quality Output is at an all time low ....from Ian
Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:26am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I must say that this has been a really dead year for music.

August through December is a super busy time for music releases and especially touring. We really don't have much to go on though now do we?

The past seven or eight years in music has been really bad in my opinion. 

Consider this, the two albums everyone was looking forward to was by old bands that have already been around for some time. Those two bands are Metallica and AC/DC. The biggest releases this year was from older groups. We have Metallica's, Death Magnettic and AC/DC's Black Ice.

Both were more over pretty "good" albums, but nothing real outstanding. Those are the two highlights of 2008's music bang... wow... Roll Eyes

That is pretty bad. Nothing that was new came out that was exciting... nothing really. It is more testament that undoubtedly this decade is by far and away the worst for quality musical output concerning the past five decades.

I know there is some pretty decent stuff out there that is most likely 90% of the time not found anywhere on the radio. I know this and still only good stuff comes up here and there ( and sure some of it is better than either Death Magnetic ..or... Black Ice) but really, it just doesn't grab you and hold you (nor does Black Ice or Death Magnetic in the long haul) as some of the groups in the past did or as the newer or latest music in previous decades could. What's out there that is of any quality doesn't totally stick to your ribs 95% of the time.

It is sort of like you hear it and say to yourself "yeah, not too bad!", but then two weeks later you say to yourself "you know, it is alright but that wasn't as good as I initially thought, ... cool enough but what eles is out there?". 

Even pop radio, which can be crappy at times anyway is at an all time low. I mean what am I supposed to like that is on the radio anymore....Maroon 5 and Blink 182?? Ok... maybe I will put on a hip-hop station for a change up and listen to the latest hip-hop rave, oh then you hear it and it's just Lil Wayne ...I mean not to sound completely corny but I suppose you got to say "big whoop" lol and eventually change the station after a while only to continuously be un-enthused and unimpressed with what presents itself.   

Anyone see my point?

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:29am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Re: Quality Output is at an all time low ....from
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:59am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:26am:

August through December is a super busy time for music releases and especially touring. We really don't have much to go on though now do we?

Consider this, the two albums everyone was looking forward to was by old bands that have already been around for some time. Those two bands are Metallica and AC/DC. The biggest releases this year was from older groups. We have Metallica's, Death Magnettic and AC/DC's Black Ice.

Both were more over pretty "good" albums, but nothing real outstanding. Those are the two highlights of 2008's music bang... wow... Roll Eyes

That is pretty bad. Nothing that was new came out that was exciting... nothing really. It is more testament that undoubtedly this decade is by far and away the worst for quality musical output concerning the past five decades.

I know there is some pretty decent stuff out there that is most likely 90% of the time not found anywhere on the radio. I know this and still only good stuff comes up here and there ( and sure some of it is better than either Death Magnetic ..or... Black Ice) but really, it just doesn't grab you and hold you (nor does Black Ice or Death Magnetic in the long haul) as some of the groups in the past did or as the newer or latest music in previous decades could. What's out there that is of any quality doesn't totally stick to your ribs 95% of the time.

It is sort of like you hear it and say to yourself "yeah, not too bad!", but then two weeks later you say to yourself "you know, it is alright but that wasn't as good as I initially thought, ... cool enough but what eles is out there?".  

Even pop radio, which can be crappy at times anyway is at an all time low. I mean what am I supposed to like that is on the radio anymore....Maroon 5 and Blink 182?? Ok... maybe I will put on a hip-hop station for a change up and listen to the latest hip-hop rave, oh then you hear it and it's just Lil Wayne ...I mean not to sound completely corny but I suppose you got to say "big whoop" lol and eventually change the station after a while only to continuously be un-enthused and unimpressed with what presents itself.  

Anyone see my point?

Ian

I agree one most of your points, although it remains to be seen how bad this is. Everyone decried the musical output of the decade at the end of the 70s, 80s and 90s. And as time passes, the great stuff that was ignored slowy surfaces as the waters recede and now we see how much quality music there was. But the way pop radio and charts are going, it's been a pretty miserable decade. You used to be able to release a critically adored album and take it to #1. Now, no longer. If it's #1, critics have to pay attention. But so much great music is buried by the shit on the market. In 10-15 years we'll see what the decade really accomplished. Hell, even now I'm discovering some kick-ass 80s and 90s music. But seriously, what's been the best album of the decade anyway? I'll go with Dylan's Love and Theft.

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:23am
I think you have a point Ian.... I agree with your basic argument but still disagree with your assessment of Black Ice.

There is so MUCH music being produced now, with lots of home digital studios and the like. So much that is probably very good may never surface. Music that is released online but never breaks through. It is almost counterintuitive in a way to think that with more music being produced and released than ever before there is even less that is in any way memorable.

I kind of think it is so hard to cut through all the noise with anything worthwhile..... is anyone really listening and does anyone really care? ..... this is what I feel sometimes.

And in some ways getting stuff recorded and released has become TOO easy. One of the downsides of digital recording technology is that a lot of no talents have made it.... people who can't sing without an autotune.... can't really play but have someone to program it all for them. I believe this is also part of the problem.... so much more shit than ever before is being produced.

Things change, times change, fashions and tastes change, the criteria for what is considered entertaining can change....... It is a long time ago now since Beggars Banquet..... 40 years. In just another 10 years it will be 50 years.... the numbers are starting to get very big..... not all the Stones and former Stones may necessarily still even be alive in 10 years.......

Time waits for noone.......

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:33am
Prodical Son Wrote:

"But seriously, what's been the best album of the decade anyway? "

I will have to deduce it to (which wasn't very hard considering the number of truly great albums this decade)

The White Stripes "Elephant".

that is my two cents on that note. I have not heard all of Love and Theft (heard some of it) but you do have me interested enough again. I tend forget Dylan had a supposed really definitive album this decade ( I really shouldn't though) unless someone mentions that one. What about "Time Out of Mind" or "Under The Red Sky"? I like the song UTRS but only heard two, maybe three others off of that album. How does that one rate to you?

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:41am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:37am
stones67 wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:23am:
I think you have a point Ian.... I agree with your basic argument but still disagree with your assessment of Black Ice.

There is so MUCH music being produced now, with lots of home digital studios and the like. So much that is probably very good may never surface. Music that is released online but never breaks through. It is almost counterintuitive in a way to think that with more music being produced and released than ever before there is even less that is in any way memorable.

I kind of think it is so hard to cut through all the noise with anything worthwhile..... is anyone really listening and does anyone really care? ..... this is what I feel sometimes.

And in some ways getting stuff recorded and released has become TOO easy. One of the downsides of digital recording technology is that a lot of no talents have made it.... people who can't sing without an autotune.... can't really play but have someone to program it all for them. I believe this is also part of the problem.... so much more shit than ever before is being produced.

Things change, times change, fashions and tastes change, the criteria for what is considered entertaining can change....... It is a long time ago now since Beggars Banquet..... 40 years. In just another 10 years it will be 50 years.... the numbers are starting to get very big..... not all the Stones and former Stones may necessarily still even be alive in 10 years.......

Time waits for noone.......

Sure music does change ..so do tastes and times and everything eles. I understand all that. 60's, 70's, 80's 90's ...were different from each other but each decade had great stuff (even the 80's had some stuff). I just don't know why this change, in this decade has been so lousy and/or unproductive as far as quality.

(yes, the digital recording age has had some impact but I am not going to say it is to blame).

Ian

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 6:02am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:33am:
Prodical Son Wrote:

"But seriously, what's been the best album of the decade anyway? "

I will have to deduce it to (which wasn't very hard considering the number of truly great albums this decade)

The White Stripes "Elephant".

that is my two cents on that note. I have not heard all of Love and Theft (heard some of it) but you do have me interested enough again. I tend forget Dylan had a supposed really definitive album this decade ( I really shouldn't though) unless someone mentions that one. What about "Time Out of Mind" or "Under The Red Sky"? I like the song UTRS but only heard two, maybe three others off of that album. How does that one rate to you?

Ian

Elephant was pretty good, though I think White Blood Cells deserves equal praise. As for Dylan, Modern Times is another LP that's in the top 10 best the decade has offered. A continuation of his Love and Theft work, though it's a bit more subdued and not as lively. L&T had the misfortune of being released Sept. 11, 2001 so how symbolic it is also the album of the decade? It's a definitive Dylan album and is yet like no other. He's got his humour back on that one and it seems right out of the early 20th century; there's your blues, country and rock mish-mash but newer shades of Dylan revealed by his forays into songs reminiscent of swing, dance hall, rockabilly, bluegrass and jump blues.

It's not as grim, apocalyptic or depressing as Time out of Mind was. Time Out of Mind was released in 1997 by the way and Under the Red Sky was 1990 (his previous album of original material to Time actually). Under the Red Sky was also a mediocre misstep as Dylan was increasingly disenfranchised with the business and his own music at the time (the blues stuff is passable but it's all so slick and unimaginative. The only winners for me on that one are "Born in Time" and "Under the Red Sky"- that album really could have used some Oh Mercy holdovers like "Series of Dreams" or "Dignity").

Dylan releasing an album every 4-5 years is fine if he keeps up his current resurgence. 1989's Oh Mercy was like a blip on the radar of a steady decline in imagination starting after Infidels for him. At least during his Christian re-birth period he had something focusing his music, however uneven it was. But when he abandoned it, he only had enough fuel for one good album then it just gt worse. The mid-80s were a real dry spell: dud albums (ok Empire Burlesque doesn't suck but the next two were nothing special whatsoever), silly outfits with the jewelry and leather, his red-dyed jewfro, the awful film Hearts of Fire, mangling his hand in a fishing accident, you name it. And he didn't turn it around until recording those two folk cover albums (1992's Good As I Been to You and 1993's World Gone Wrong).
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 6:13am by Prodigal Son »  

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 6:40am
I'm considering splurging on Kings of Leon's current cd. rave reviews have pricked my interest and it's selling like hot cakes here.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:32am
corgi37 wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 6:40am:
I'm considering splurging on Kings of Leon's current cd. rave reviews have pricked my interest and it's selling like hot cakes here.

It is one of dozens of very good albums released this year.

Motorhead
Nick Cave
Racontuers
Fleet Foxes
Supergrass
Weezer
Ray Davies
Beck
Black Keys

9 albums off the top of my head... that I say are very good to great. And there's three times that amount new this year, that others have said they find good to great. If you aren't looking, listening or have just given up, that is finme, but I'd say, that this year was very good for rock and roll and alot of bands have done very unique things with the art form, like fleet Foxes.

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:40am

i disagree.

Brilliant new albums from Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, TV On The Radio, Bon Iver, Aimee Mann and The Raconteurs

and as for re-issues, look no further than Dylan's Tell Tale Signs, or Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:04am
Ade wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:40am:

i disagree.

Brilliant new albums from Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, TV On The Radio, Bon Iver, Aimee Mann and The Raconteurs

and as for re-issues, look no further than Dylan's Tell Tale Signs, or Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue.

Music will never die... We will! Enjoy it now, before you Die!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:55am
Pdog wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:04am:
Ade wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:40am:

i disagree.

Music will never die... We will! Enjoy it now, before you Die!

It almost died the year the damn Beegees were making that disco crap.........God we were close

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:05pm

Anyone see my point?

Ian

everyone?

very limited musical sphere, Ian.

Personally, I couldnt tell you the name of a single song in Metallica's entire catalogue.

there's been plenty of good music made in recent years by older established acts as well as newer ones.

As a Bruce and Dylan fan for example, I'm much more satisfied with their level of consistency and output this decade than I have been at any time in the last 25 years.

and as far as newer bands are concerned, I dont think the music scene in the UK has been as healthy for some time.  Maybe you should emigrate.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:06pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm
I have no problem finding good music out there.  Oh I enjoy the old standbys (they have most of the space in my iPod), but I enjoy listening to new groups and I appreciate what they are trying to do with rock and roll.

Will they have longevity? -probably not, as it is impossible in these days for musicians to make money in this field.

I encourage everyone to step out of their "comfort zone" and sample some of the music that is out there! Cool

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:57pm
Raising Sand was a winner too, even if an acquired taste.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 1:43pm
" Anyone see my point? "

www.EaglesBand.com

www.QWESTCENTER.com

... !!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2008 at 1:45pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:29pm
cut that shit out, Joey!

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:35pm
metallica can fall off the face of the earth as far as i'm concerned....i hate that band.  i am not particularly crazy about ac/dc, but they are fun once in awhile.  bring on the new gunners cd and we can all rock again.  i think the new single is great.  hearing axel's voice again makes me want to watch the terminator movies

Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:36pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 6:01pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm:
I encourage everyone to step out of their "comfort zone" and sample some of the music that is out there! Cool

I stepped out of my comfort zone & plugged in Kid Rock n Roll Jesus. At first I thought it was really OK, but it got old real quick.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 9:41pm
Gazza Wrote:

"everyone?

very limited musical sphere, Ian.

Personally, I couldnt tell you the name of a single song in Metallica's entire catalogue."

Well. You know...what I'm saying is Metallica, AC/DC, amd Lil Waynes newest releases were easily the most anticipated albums of the year. The shear volume in which these releases sold in their first week, as well, all of them entering at number 1 all over the place speaks for itself.  In addition, these albums received the most press before they came out and after by far and away. You never heard much mention of other rock acts and what they were coming out with or doing. So not "everyone" as in you, I, pdog and our friends at the board but "everyone" as in the masses of people (and the press) were anticipating these more than the others is what I meant...

And what I believe is that this is sort of lame, in that in this day and age, not even "some what newer" rock bands receive that kind of anticipation from the masses (I think most of it is because the way they just come and go today and as well are not puttiing out anything that great anyway so they never get the mass appeal). If this were 94, 84, or 74 their were a good 10-12 rock bands in which a good eight or 9 were newer and were releasing really good, well received, and much anticpipated material.

Now we have a couple older acts and thats it. That is it as far as the rock scene is concerned. I think it's sort of pathetic to be honest.

By the way, are you serious in saying you can not name a single Metallica song? or is this sarcasm? Still not sure

and as far as newer bands are concerned, I dont think the music scene in the UK has been as healthy for some time.  Maybe you should emigrate.  [/quote]

I have nothing against the UK. Heck, much of my favorite music/artists originated there. I think the music that originates in the UK is interesting today, and yesteryear it was superb.

Ian

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:10am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 9:41pm:
Well. You know...what I'm saying is Metallica, AC/DC, amd Lil Waynes newest releases were easily the most anticipated albums of the year.

absolute nonsense, Lil Wayne?- never heard of him.
   you should certainly consider emigrating, or at least,  aquire a passport.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:33am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 9:41pm:
Well. You know...what I'm saying is Metallica, AC/DC, amd Lil Waynes newest releases were easily the most anticipated albums of the year. The shear volume in which these releases sold in their first week, as well, all of them entering at number 1 all over the place speaks for itself.  In addition, these albums received the most press before they came out and after by far and away. You never heard much mention of other rock acts and what they were coming out with or doing. So not "everyone" as in you, I, pdog and our friends at the board but "everyone" as in the masses of people (and the press) were anticipating these more than the others is what I meant...

And what I believe is that this is sort of lame, in that in this day and age, not even "some what newer" rock bands receive that kind of anticipation from the masses (I think most of it is because the way they just come and go today and as well are not puttiing out anything that great anyway so they never get the mass appeal). If this were 94, 84, or 74 their were a good 10-12 rock bands in which a good eight or 9 were newer and were releasing really good, well received, and much anticpipated material.

Now we have a couple older acts and thats it. That is it as far as the rock scene is concerned. I think it's sort of pathetic to be honest.

By the way, are you serious in saying you can not name a single Metallica song? or is this sarcasm? Still not sure

Like Ade, I've never heard of Lil Wayne either. I've heard of Lil Kim, though! So, I seriously doubt he was topping the charts 'all over the place'. Seems to be unknown over here.

Albums entering the charts at #1 isnt exactly unheard of. Over here anyway, it's extremely common.

You could just as easily say that albums by Hannah Montana and Jay-Z are 'hugely anticipated' - it's just that maybe they don't fit into your own musical horizon.

And yep, I'm totally serious about Metallica. I have zero interest in that type of music and find it utterly unlistenable, so its extremely easy to avoid.

(edit - had to wiki Lil Wayne and find out about his latest album. I'd honestly never heard of him. His album just cracked the top 30 in the UK, seems to be a much bigger deal in North America - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tha_Carter_III#Chart_performance )
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:37am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

rockandrollmark
I'm new!!

Montreal
Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 1:55pm
I couldn't disagree more! It sounds like you are referring to major label releases. Stop by my site The Rock and Roll Report (http://rockandrollreport.com/)and have a listen to my weekly podcast http://rockandrollreport.com/podcast-2/ and let me know what you think. There is tons of amazing rock and roll out there and more is being made every day!

Seriously I don't have enough time in a day to listen to it all. Yes some is shit but so much is great that it doesn't matter.

Mark

Mark Boudreau&&Publisher - Host&&The Rock and Roll Report&&www.rockandrollreport.com&&"Playing indie and unsigned rock and roll that is sadly neglected by commercial rock radio"&&Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/rockandrollreport&&Podcast Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/rockandrollreport/aioF&&Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8747411939

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 2:02pm
The Lil' Wayne album sold a million copies in its first week here in the States.

He was also sued for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb377OiXko

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:51pm
Album of the decade is, so far, Love and Theft.  It survived arguably the worst release date in history (Tuesday, September 11, 2001), and people are still listening to it and enjoying - not tolerating - songs from it in concert.  By contrast, nobody listens to the Springsteen album that was current around 9/11, or the one he put out to protest the event.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:02pm
Gazza Wrote:

Like Ade, I've never heard of Lil Wayne either. I've heard of Lil Kim, though! So, I seriously doubt he was topping the charts 'all over the place'. Seems to be unknown over here:

Well AC/DC and Metallica topped the charts all over. In several countries. As far as Lil Wayne goes Lil Wayne sold over a million copies in the very first week over here! Name another artist that sold that much within the states in the very first week this year. That alone speaks for itself. I know he is not popular all over and I realize this. However his album was much anticipated in the states. Numbers don't lie. AC/DC and Metallica sold like mad globally.

* ShockedAh-ha, I knew the day would come. Finally, now I get to share some artist info with you Gazza  Smiley. Gazza, introducing Lil Wayne. This years biggest rapper.
(I know you could care less... believe me I am not huge rap fan either. Sure I'll listen to almost anything if it is done well, but no I am no big Lil Wayne fan).

Albums entering the charts at #1 isnt exactly unheard of. Over here anyway, it's extremely common.

Yes I know that ..  Still ...where did The Rolling Stones album place it's first week? Are they not probably the most successful global touring act on the planet. Ok so they tour and are not big on the charts as they used to be. Still are they not known in more countries than most any other current band? Again numbers don't lie.

You could just as easily say that albums by Hannah Montana and Jay-Z are 'hugely anticipated' - it's just that maybe they don't fit into your own musical horizon.

Right. They are. That is the sad part, and that is my very point Gazza. Numbers don't lie. If it were 94, 84, 74, or even 64 we would have a solid list of artists that sold well in the first week.

Now we have Jay Z, Hanna Montana, and Lil Wayne, or maybe Cold Play. The only folks to come close to any such impact were two old acts: AC/DC and Metallica. There are no newer bands that shape any real impact is what I'm saying. Why? Well I think the market has changed drastically. Secondly, and importantly I think the quality is not there like in 64, 74, and 94. Heck even 84 had Van Halen and a slew of other hair bands (as cheesey as they were) but now we have Jay Z or Cold Play that people are excited about most (again in terms of the masses) ...that isn't saying much now is it. That was my point in the beginning.

And yep, I'm totally serious about Metallica. I have zero interest in that type of music and find it utterly unlistenable, so its extremely easy to avoid.

I am not a huge fan of that type of music 110% either. I did review the new Metallica because it was news and yes, after St. Anger, I was certainly interested. Some stuff is fairly decent as far as compared to others of that style but only compared to the others of that style. Faster, harder and the louder you scream does not mean better. (and I know, at what point is this music just aimless noise more than music. Basically 95% of the time).

Ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)