Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA - June 11, 2024 © Jini Sachse (SweetVirginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greetings, questions, and such (Read 4,626 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Greetings, questions, and such
Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:50am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
open-g wrote on Oct 25th, 2008 at 11:22pm:
That is a fantastic picture & sight, Edith G. Smiley

you mean you can go and see it - like just 'round the corner, in yer wood?  
WOW!

I live in downtown New Orleans, the "French Quarter," to be exact.
The closest swamps are just a few minutes drive from my flat.

Here's a pic from just 'round the corner:

Hundreds of pics like these can be found on http://www.asergeev.com/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:54am
Welcome again, Aquamarine!
Great to hear stories like yours, and if there is an "ignore" feature on this site, I haven't found a use for it.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #27 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:58am
Hello, Aquamarine!  (Can I assume that is your favorite color or maybe birthstone?)

Always great to have a long time fan join the asylum.  We love our Stones!!  And sounds like you have some good memories to share with us!!  And especially now in this very long Stones drought....

You will quickly learn how to navigate this place.  We are as varied as our threads, with some very "creative" personalities in our midst.  You will quickly learn which  threads to avoid and which threads may actually be funny or informative. 

Welcome! Cool Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #28 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:37am
" ...  but of late there hasnt been much to report. "

WHAT ?!

... !!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #29 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:54am
welcome!

feel free to leave an apple pie outside my door anytime.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #30 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:38am:
Greetings & Welcome Aquamarine, thanks for the imput about the Sept. '66 Royal Albert Hall concert, I saw a video of this (have you seen your Mother,etc playing as soundtrack) looks like a wild concert, were there 2 concerts there or just 1? I wonder whatever happened to Terry Reid, he also played on some concerts of the '69 tour, anyways Welcome aboard.

No, there was just one show.  Terry Reid ended up being asked by Jimmy Page to join Led Zeppelin (my other favorite band, though I know I'm probably alone in that), but he had just been signed by Mickie Most, so suggested Robert Plant instead.  Terry's still going, though, and last year did several shows with Mick Taylor--which I missed because I was on the wrong side of the Atlantic.  Sad

I'll add some more thoughts from those years, then, if you all don't mind reading them!  As soon as I get time, anyway.  I'm enjoying reliving those years, and remembering the pressure to be either a Beatles fan OR a Stones fan, and all the weird stuff like the constant suggestions by third-rate comedians that the Stones were dirty, never washed, etc.  Strange days!

(Yes, it's my favorite color.  Wink)

Oh, btw, I wasn't complaining about the non-Stones threads earlier, just wanted to make that clear.  Obviously it's fun to discuss all sorts of stuff.  Just wondered where the stuff about the guys was!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #31 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:01pm
What brought you to Rocks Off Aquamarine?
I mean, we ARE the Best Stones Website, but I'm curious how you found us? Wink

LJ.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #32 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:41pm
Aquamarine wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 1:44pm:
Led Zeppelin (my other favorite band, though I know I'm probably alone in that

I'll add some more thoughts from those years, then, if you all don't mind reading them!

1) No, you're not alone in that.

2) Waiting patiently.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #33 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:55pm
Oh, Aquamarine, I LOVE reading your stories of the early days!! I was literally devouring every word, on the edge of my seat--with my mouth open! Such exciting times, and most of us just read about them in magazines or saw them in the newsreels....

Yes, please, tell us anything that you remember! That was a very historic first Stones concert for you....Smiley

And thanks so much for sharing....Smiley Yes, please check out the Brian thread---lots of pix! Grin And the Superblow thread is all pix...and wonderful ones too! They are both at the top of the Subject page, under "Important Topics". Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #34 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:57pm
I never realized, until much later, that in Britain, you were either a Beatles fan or a Stones fan....not usually both. In the U.S., there was no problem with being both {and adding other bands like the Animals, Kinks, Yardbirds, etc., as well}.  I find that to be very interesting...
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:59pm by Sioux »  

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #35 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:11pm
LadyJane wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:01pm:
What brought you to Rocks Off Aquamarine?
I mean, we ARE the Best Stones Website, but I'm curious how you found us? Wink

LJ.

Just browsing the web . . . thought you seemed a cool bunch!

Well, to continue a bit then (and btw I was a Beatles fan too, originally, but there was huge pressure to be one or the other), in those early days the Stones were very much the "bad boys" of rock, especially by comparison to the Beatles, and it wasn't until way later we realized they were encouraged by the Loog to play up to it, by doing things like appearing on Sunday Night at the London Palladium (weekly TV variety show) and refusing to wave to the audience on the revolving stage at the end.  They also began to appear in the newspapers doing things like driving without insurance (Mick) and peeing on gas station walls (you bad boy, Bill).  But it was great because they got lots of TV exposure, were on Ready Steady Go (Friday rock TV show) frequently, flirting with the host, Cathy McGowan.  I began to drift away a bit during th Aftermath and Between the Buttons period, the music not being what originally drew me to them, and even when the psychedelic era dawned, it seemed at the time that they were copying the Beatles for a while--Their Satanic Majesties their Sgt. Pepper, We Love You their All You Need is Love, etc.  By this time they were constantly appearing in the papers in connection with drug busts, and it seems ironic now that we thought at the time that Brian seemed to be getting undue attention from the cops, since now of course we know he was!  This all came to a head with the raid on Redlands, and Mick and Keith ending up in jail--this was a major national story, and I've still got all the newspaper clippings.  We genuinely thought they were going to go to jail for years, and when they got off it was such a major relief--I can still remember watching live on TV at home as Mick was flown by helicopter to an interview that included the Archbishop of Canterbury!  The cops had really overplayed their hand with that one--in fact, it was a major editorial in the (conservative, then anyway) London Times that helped bring about the acquittal, and eventually helped get the law changed (about letting your home be used for drug activities, which is what Keith was accused of.  This applied even if you didn't know about the activities).  Another irony of all this was that because there was no internet, etc., it wasn't until years later that we all realized that the "naked blonde wrapped in the fur rug" that we'd been reading about was in fact Marianne!

Anyway, the band got themselves together musically, and when Jumpin' Jack Flash came out, and there was the video of them all wearing make-up etc., it started a whole new era, and I was definitely back on board music-wise.  Brian "left" the band (again, at the time we took this at face value) and there was this huge concert scheduled in Hyde Park, at which they were going to introduce their new guitarist.  All very scary, because suppose he sucked??  And then a few days before the show, there was the news of Brian's death.  Some of my "friends" actually laughed at me about it.  To me, though, being young, it was like losing a family member.    Cry  I never thought the Hyde Park show would go ahead, but they decided to dedicate it to Brian--so I went, and it was a sunny afternoon and the other bands were great (King Crimson in particular, I remember), and I got a good spot, and then the Stones came on and everybody stood up and I couldn't see a damn thing!!  But a nice guy, total stranger, lifted me onto his shoulders, just in time to see Mick read the poem--he was wearing white, fortunately, as there seemed to be dozens of people on the stage and it took ages to pick out the rest of the band--and release the butterflies (which I learned later immediately dropped dead).  And the best part was that the show was a cracker, and I knew Mick Taylor was going to cut it, and things were going to be even better than ever.   Cool  (Though a few days later, Mick went off to Australia to film Ned Kelly, Marianne attempted suicide, and for a while seemed likely to die, and with that happening so close to Brian's death, rumors of dabbling in black magic began to circulate more than ever.)

I'll add some more later if you like, I'm not going for the "world's longest post" or something!  Embarrassed

(P.S.  I've been really enjoying the pics!!)
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:31pm by Aquamarine »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #36 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm
Great stuff, Aquamarine....Smiley We've read a lot of these incidents over the years, but I love hearing it told again, and from the perspective of a young girl actually living IN Britain, where, in my mind at least, ALL the great and wonderful things were "happening". From music to fashion to art to theatre.....England was THE place to be.  Smiley Cool

Thank you so much for taking the time to relate all this to us. And YES, we would love more, more more....when you have the time, of course. Smiley This is a wonderful site, and a large one, so it's easy to find things to interest each person. And the pix will blow you away! Grin

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #37 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:56pm
Sioux wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm:
Great stuff, Aquamarine....Smiley We've read a lot of these incidents over the years, but I love hearing it told again, and from the perspective of a young girl actually living IN Britain, where, in my mind at least, ALL the great and wonderful things were "happening". From music to fashion to art to theatre.....England was THE place to be.  Smiley Cool

Thank you so much for taking the time to relate all this to us. And YES, we would love more, more more....when you have the time, of course. Smiley This is a wonderful site, and a large one, so it's easy to find things to interest each person. And the pix will blow you away! Grin

agreed 110%!!!
If you like pics, girlfriend, between the Brian Thread and Superblow, WE dominate!!!!!!!!

LJ.

PS
"Just browsing the web . . . thought you seemed a cool bunch!"

Considering we scare many lurkers away, DOUBLE welcome to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Perverted Mick
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:59pm by LadyJane »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #38 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Welcome, you seem to OG Stones fan...

We discuss Stones to death here, and we are very open to off topics, especially the dreaded politics...

We love music, so other artists come up...

during a tour, or, if they ever get round to studio stuff, we are talking... even then we debate like in a political thread... opinions abound, and just our bums, they all stink!

Welcome to Crazyland!

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #39 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Great stuff, Aquamarine....Smiley We've read a lot of these incidents over the years, but I love hearing it told again, and from the perspective of a young girl actually living IN Britain, where, in my mind at least, ALL the great and wonderful things were "happening". From music to fashion to art to theatre.....England was THE place to be.  Smiley Cool

Yeah, though I realize none of this is actually new information, it's been fun reliving those years--England really did feel like something exciting was happening in those days, what with Swinging London and all.  Smiley  Then the era of the street fighting men . . . Seems like another lifetime in some ways.

And the Stones always seemed to be in the thick of everything!  Cool

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #40 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:37pm
The big question is... - where do you stand on Emotional Rescue
?
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:27pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #41 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:43pm
I don't stand on it at all--it might warp. Shocked  Shocked

(No, actually, I really like it a lot--but not as much as you do, I gotta admit!)

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #42 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:49pm
Don't worry, things really pick up when Van Halen tours.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #43 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:57pm
Some Guy wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:49pm:
Don't worry, things really pick up when Van Halen tours.

HE'S LYING!!!    Shocked

Oh, lol, unless you mean the HATE threads.... Wink Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #44 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:43am

Ditto that! Keep it coming AM.

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #45 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 12:25am
Hello all, I'm back, had slight PC problems.  And big work problems.

So, Keith do anything cool while I was gone?  (Of course he did!  Wink)

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #46 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 4:42am
Aquamarine wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 12:25am:
So, Keith do anything cool while I was gone?

http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1227349037

IP Logged

Aquamarine
Rocks Off Regular

Member 39

Louisiana
Reply #47 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 6:49pm
Wow, great article and pics  Smiley--some amazing memories.   Cool  Many many thanks to the scanners, I'd die of old age waiting for the magazine to arrive in my corner of the world!

Knew I could rely on Keith--thanks, Edith Grove!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)