Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and Niel Ringstad, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Son of Elvis??? (Read 761 times)
MaineMotels
Ex Member

Son of Elvis???
Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Man still hunting to see if Elvis is his dad
Posted by Brad Flory | Jackson Citizen Patriot
September 28, 2008 07:00AM

Four years is a long time to search for clues to confirm the identity of an unknown father.

The task is even more trying when the suspected father is Elvis Presley.

Tim Farrell"It would be easier if it was someone less famous," said Tim Farrell, a 53-year-old truck mechanic in Jackson. "People wouldn't be so incredulous."

For four years, Farrell has tracked down clues but found nothing to prove or disprove his dead mother's claim that Elvis was his father.

A certain stigma attaches to that sort of search. Many people first assume Farrell must be either crazy or a publicity-seeker.

He is neither.

"I don't claim to be Elvis' kid," Farrell said. "I just want to know if it is true. I would not have chosen this for myself."

After years of dead ends, maybe his luck is improving.

Thanks to the advance of science, Farrell's odds of finding a genetic fingerprint for Elvis Presley improved greatly in the summer.

Does he sing like Elvis?
Judge for yourself. Six songs recorded by Tim Farrell and Jackson musicians can be heard online at blog.mlive.com/bradosphere

A cutting-edge procedure called "touch DNA" makes it far more likely to find DNA left scattered around the country by Elvis.

"This is brand-new, and it opens a lot of doors," Farrell said.

Farrell, a Tennessee native who had an adoptive father, was as surprised as anyone when he first heard his mother's claim 30 years ago.

His mother, Rebecca Holland, announced shortly after Presley's death that Farrell was conceived in 1954 during a one-night-stand with Elvis in Memphis. The story made lots of newspapers.

"It's my mother's account of something. That's all," Farrell said. "She had no proof."

Peggy Ryan, sister of Farrell's mother, has no proof, either. But she believes.

"My sister told me she knew Elvis and had been out with him," said Ryan of Jackson, Tenn. "She didn't tell me she slept with him. You didn't tell that kind of thing back then."

Holland died of colon cancer in 2002, repeating near her death the claim that Farrell is Presley's son.

"I didn't think she would lie then," Ryan said.

Farrell was a 23-year-old nightclub singer when his mother dropped her bombshell in 1978. If she hoped to help his music career, it backfired.

Curious crowds made Farrell feel like a sideshow, so he gave up music.

He moved to Jackson, Mich., and today fixes big trucks as owner of Farrell Fleet Service, 1305 Page Ave.

He kept the Elvis story quiet until 2004, when Farrell decided DNA science finally allowed him to find out if his mother was right.

Working with a lawyer, he sent letters sent to Elvis Presley Enterprises asking for DNA testing.

Farrell offered to "keep it under the rug" and he offered to sign away any claim to money. He was mostly ignored.

"I've pretty much given up on any cooperation from the Presley camp," Farrell said.

He set up a blog (www.iselvismydad.blogspot.com) in 2005 to search for clues.

Looking for other illegitimate children of Elvis for DNA comparison seemed a promising idea.

It has not worked out so far because everyone Farrell found was unwilling to be tested or an obvious fraud.

One of his big leads was a bed sheet Elvis slept on. Farrell had the sheet tested, but no usable DNA was recovered.

Touch DNA could make DNA proof much easier to find. The procedure came to public attention in July, when it exonerated the parents of JonBenet Ramsey.

Instead of testing body fluids, touch DNA tests skin cells. We all shed skin cells constantly, and they can be tested decades later.

In other words, anything Elvis wore or touched is suddenly a potential genetic jackpot.

Farrell and his lawyer are contacting collectors to seek permission for touch DNA testing on Elvis memorabilia.

He is also talking to an Indiana woman who has "reasons to believe Elvis may be her dad." If things work out, they will compare DNA to learn if they are siblings.

"If we match, it's kind of hard to say we're not his children," Farrell said.

During his search, Farrell revived his singing career.

Two years ago, he began playing guitar and singing in Jackson-area bars and jam sessions. He favors early rock songs in the style of Carl Perkins.

In June, Farrell won the 2008 Talent Expo at the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. For his victory, he is promised a spot as an opening act for a Loretta Lynn concert to be scheduled next year.

Six songs he recorded on a demo disk can be heard online (blog.mlive.com/bradosphere/) if anyone is curious.

Asked what he will do if he is someday proved to be the son of Elvis, Farrell paused as if he never considered it.

"If I found it's true, I would give the results on my blog and that's about it," he said.

"If it's not true, fine. I can close the book and get out of this thing."

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Son of Elvis???
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Looks more likely that his father is Ted Koppel.

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:18pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:15pm:
Looks more likely that his father is Ted Koppel.

Hmnnn..... I was thnking Howlin" Wolf.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 11:06pm
He looks like a grown up Disney movie kid to me.... Wink

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 11:07pm
Nooooo...maybe Jackie Cooper's long lost son? Tongue

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 8:13pm
I heard there was a partly drunk glass of water somewhere that Elvis had given to a fan during a concert would that work? Blank Frigging Stare

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:06am
Yes, well...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)