Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lars Ulrich Slights Charlie Watts ...from Ian (Read 5,399 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Lars Ulrich Slights Charlie Watts ...from Ian
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:29am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This is something, but I suppose it should not surprise me being as it is coming from a Metallica member.

In the latest Rolling Stone Magazine Lars actually talks about how Charlie isn't playing the tunes he is so in essence, this is why Lars understands Charlie's longevity...

As we all know here, and so does most anyone who knows anything about drumming, Lars is not worthy of carrying Charlie's handkerchief as far as drumming goes. In a sense I can understand what Lars is talking about to a point. However, come now, why actually name Charlie as an example..  Here's the link:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsite...

By the way Mr. Ulrich, as I said in my recent review of your latest album....faster does not mean better. So what if your song is 200 bpm??? That alone doesn't make it a good song... These groups and many young people today think the heavier and faster a song, the cooler and better the artists and the songs are.

They could not be more off base. Knowing when not to play, is just as important as when you play your instrument in a song. Also there is both "touch" and swing to drumming. Lars doesn't know a whole lot about either from what I hear (and I have heard about everything he has done with Metallica).

Lars will never be seen as the drummer Charlie Watts is and he knows it.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:36am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Re: Lars Ulrich Slights Charlie Watts ...from Ian
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:15am
In a band literally dripping with cunts, Lars is the biggest, smelliest, dirtiest one of all.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:44am
Lars : "Charlie Watts is not playing 'Damage, Inc.' three times a week or playing 'Whiplash' every night. "

thats cos they are shit you dumbfarker

thats cos he is in THE worlds greatest rock n roll band and you aint.

Shit!

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:59am
Metallica - noisy rubbish for spotty teenagers, who have yet to develop taste.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:41am
If you are a drummer and you diss Charlie Watts- you might be a douchebag.

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:32am
lars who ?

Charlie Wattts  =  class

scuk

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:21am
What Ulrich said is true, as far as it goes. Who cares?

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 11:02am
Ade wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:59am:
Metallica - noisy rubbish for spotty teenagers, who have yet to develop taste.

Well said.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm
Never heard of Lars or his band.  Sorry. Are they a footnote in the history of music or do they have chapters devoted to them like the Stones?

Right now the chapter I'm reading is "1962-Present-The Rolling Stones Conquer Planet Earth."

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:21pm
Ian I must say that this is one of your most lucid thought provoking posts that I have ever read. So bravo for that! Also, I couldn't agree with you more when you say, "knowing when not to play is just as important as knowing when to play." That's spot on. Lars Ulrich suffers from short man's disease. Some pople are short and their personal stature is taller than their actual height. Not so in Lar's case. He always makes an ass out of himself in interviews. It's almost become and inside joke that if Lars is talking he's stepping in shit. This is a perfect example of that.

I know plenty of very talented drummers and to a man they all say that Charlie is practically deified in their circles. He's the only white drummer with swing for fuck's sake!

Lar's is a bitter little shit who single handedly helped alienate Metallica from their entire zit faced prepubesent fanbase.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:33pm
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:29am:
This is something, but I suppose it should not surprise me being as it is coming from a Metallica member.

In the latest Rolling Stone Magazine Lars actually talks about how Charlie isn't playing the tunes he is so in essence, this is why Lars understands Charlie's longevity...

As we all know here, and so does most anyone who knows anything about drumming, Lars is not worthy of carrying Charlie's handkerchief as far as drumming goes. In a sense I can understand what Lars is talking about to a point. However, come now, why actually name Charlie as an example..  Here's the link:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsite...

By the way Mr. Ulrich, as I said in my recent review of your latest album....faster does not mean better. So what if your song is 200 bpm??? That alone doesn't make it a good song... These groups and many young people today think the heavier and faster a song, the cooler and better the artists and the songs are.

They could not be more off base. Knowing when not to play, is just as important as when you play your instrument in a song. Also there is both "touch" and swing to drumming. Lars doesn't know a whole lot about either from what I hear (and I have heard about everything he has done with Metallica).

Lars will never be seen as the drummer Charlie Watts is and he knows it.

Ian

You have stunned me with your (for once!) unerring accuracy!!!

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:38pm
I remember reading a Metallica interview where they explained that after one of their more tedious albums, they were forced to take a new musical direction. The explanation was something like :
"We'd come to the studio and say 'So, we've got 40 awesome riffs here, how do we go about squeezing them all into one song?' Eventually it became tiresome..."
I cracked up when I read that, and somehow, I can't bring myself to dislike them. The music is horrible, though.

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:19pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm:
Are they a footnote in the history of music or do they have chapters devoted to them like the Stones?

They singlehandedly destroyed Napster.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:27pm
Holden wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:19pm:
Steel Wheels wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm:
Are they a footnote in the history of music or do they have chapters devoted to them like the Stones?

They singlehandedly destroyed Napster.

Fuck him.  He was just jealous that nobody will buy their shit, and I do mean shit.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:29pm

I'm sure Charlie will mention Ulrich's slight during his next session with the band psychologist...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:32pm
Riffhard wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:21pm:
Ian I must say that this is one of your most lucid thought provoking posts that I have ever read. So bravo for that! Also, I couldn't agree with you more when you say, "knowing when not to play is just as important as knowing when to play." That's spot on. Lars Ulrich suffers from short man's disease. Some pople are short and their personal stature is taller than their actual height. Not so in Lar's case. He always makes an ass out of himself in interviews. It's almost become and inside joke that if Lars is talking he's stepping in shit. This is a perfect example of that.

I know plenty of very talented drummers and to a man they all say that Charlie is practically deified in their circles. He's the only white drummer with swing for fuck's sake!

Lar's is a bitter little shit who single handedly helped alienate Metallica from their entire zit faced prepubesent fanbase.

Riffy

He's an asshole too... My brother in-law worked as his PA for over ten years... the guy is a dickhead, cokehead and should kiss James Hetfields ass everyday, btw James is very nice, for writing great songs and making Lars the mega millionaire rock star he is...

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:35pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:29pm:
I'm sure Charlie will mention Ulrich's slight during his next session with the band psychologist... 

lmao I remember that. That was on the some kind of monster doc. wasn't it?

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:21pm
Before everyone gets carried away bashing Metallica. Comapring them with the Stones is like comparing Apples and Goats.Huh? Exactly. Totally different bands. I really don't care how big a prick Lars is. I enjoy Metallica's music. Before everyone rewrites history. Have the Stones always been princes among men? Have they always had kind things to say about other bands. Have their business practices been beyond reproach? Give Metallica credit for being willing to open 2 shows for the Stones in their own home town.(and helping sell out both shows).

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:22pm
Mel Belli wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:21am:
What Ulrich said is true, as far as it goes. Who cares?

that's right - i mean its agreed lars is one of the worst manifestations of "rock star" on the planet and metallica are ordinary at best  - tho i always enjoyed enter sandman when i listened to it without my prejudices turned on

- but his comment is entirely accurate and doesn't he in fact say "I have nothing but respect for their longevity" (my emphasis)

ian you gotta think this shit through man

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:58pm
You should stop mixing stuff... Off course Lars is a prick and everybody knows it... But Metallica is one of the finest bands ever. Their first four albums are classics in their own right

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:26pm
I'm still waiting for Hetfield to side-swipe Lars' egotistical skull with a mic stand... I'd pay to see that!

And speaking of paying...I dropped down an obscene amount of cash for tickets to Metallica's shows in January.  Under protest, of course.  They're part of my son's xmas present this year.  I felt as if I was going to be 'stricken' as soon as I hit the accept button.

Lars makes me sick.  I can't even stomach to hear him talk let alone look at his smug puss.

And I thought Stewart Copeland was a bitch.... ha!

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:36pm
In Response to sweetcharmedlife:

Before everyone gets carried away bashing Metallica. Comapring them with the Stones is like comparing Apples and Goats.Huh? Exactly. Totally different bands. I really don't care how big a prick Lars is. I enjoy Metallica's music. Before everyone rewrites history. Have the Stones always been princes among men?
-No. That is what made them The Stones

Have they always had kind things to say about other bands.
-No. But they could back it up. Who could touch them in terms of Legendary status or longevity and who has conjured up the entire "bad boy" image that Metallica rides on? The Rolling Stones. This is why you leave well enough alone.

Have their business practices been beyond reproach?
-No but they didn't go totaly public with it or on any sort of campaign thus , turning off  tons of their fans and the world.

Give Metallica credit for being willing to open 2 shows for the Stones in their own home town.(and helping sell out both shows).
-Credit for being an opening act? Credit for finally getting the chance for opening for The Stones in which they always wanted to do? Not for anything but The Stones do not need anyone to help them sell tickets. What type of credit?
Maybe Lars is the one who should be giving the "credit"...instead of taking it away....

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:43pm
parmeda wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:26pm:

ha!! indeed  Wink

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #23 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:46pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:43pm:
parmeda wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:26pm:

ha!! indeed  Wink

Oh, you know it, SAI!
Wink ...right back at ya!)

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:20pm
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:36pm:
In Response to sweetcharmedlife:

Before everyone gets carried away bashing Metallica. Comapring them with the Stones is like comparing Apples and Goats.Huh? Exactly. Totally different bands. I really don't care how big a prick Lars is. I enjoy Metallica's music. Before everyone rewrites history. Have the Stones always been princes among men?

Have they always had kind things to say about other bands.
-No. But they could back it up. Who could touch them in terms of Legendary status or longevity and who has conjured up the entire "bad boy" image that Metallica rides on? The Rolling Stones. This is why you leave well enough alone.

Have their business practices been beyond reproach?
-No but they didn't go totaly public with it or on any sort of campaign thus , turning off  tons of their fans and the world.

Give Metallica credit for being willing to open 2 shows for the Stones in their own home town.(and helping sell out both shows).
-Credit for being an opening act? Credit for finally getting the chance for opening for The Stones in which they always wanted to do? Not for anything but The Stones do not need anyone to help them sell tickets. What type of credit?
Maybe Lars is the one who should be giving the "credit"...instead of taking it away....

Ian

Ok, here we go. Never let the facts get in the way of the truth. First let me say. the Stones are absolutely my favorite band and I am nothing more than a casual Metallica fan. But,let's deal with my version of the facts:

Easy cop out. Lot's of Rock stars are assholes.
- No. But they could back it up. Who could touch them in terms of Legendary status or longevity and who has conjured up the entire "bad boy" image that Metallica rides on? The Rolling Stones. This is why you leave well enough alone.
Not many can match the Stones legendary status. That's not the issue.  I don't think Metallica is trying to live up to any type of "image". Just being a solid hard working band who will go down as perhaps the most legendary heavy metal band ever. Their commercial succes certainly speaks for itself. As for needing a band psycholgist. Tell me the Stones could'nt use one. How's Ronnie Wood doing these days?
-No but they didn't go totaly public with it or on any sort of campaign thus , turning off  tons of their fans and the world.
The Stones are one of the most public bands in the world. Are you telling me the Mick/Keith feuds haven't been public over the years. Big deal Metallica made a movie about it. Ever seen Gimmie Shelter? Remember AC. Ever got an E-Mail fropm RS.Com.

Didn't see any tarps in San Francisco. Saw them in Oakland when Van Morrison opened.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)