Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
murray vs federer (Read 2,283 times)
fireontheplatter
Ex Member

murray vs federer
Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:11pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
murray defeated nadal this afternoon in the semi.  

any predictions for tomorrow nights final?

i will root for murry myself.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:25pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: murray vs federer
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:37pm
Well, I am a huge Nadal fan....but he just hasn't "had it" the past few days. The Open is a hard surface for him, plus, I think he has a mental "thing" with it too. So did Borg, my other fave player.

I think Federer is probably the best player who has ever picked up a tennis racket {raquet}. But Murray has really had a fabulous spring and summer season. He's finally growing into that former gangly body of his. Smiley If he can keep his cool---his temper in check---and if he can keep serving as well as he has the past few days.......and if he can keep that casual "cool" attitude he's had.....it should be a good match.  Smiley I do hope he can keep up his quality of play!

Very inconvenient to have the finals tomorrow afternoon at 5:00. I will have to convince the day care kiddies that Miss Sioux NEEDS to watch tennis! They can play Nintendo on Tuesday... Wink

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:44pm
I will join Fire On The Platter in rooting for MurrAy although in my case it's more rooting AGAINST Federer.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:48pm
Sioux wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:37pm:
Well, I am a huge Nadal fan....but he just hasn't "had it" the past few days. The Open is a hard surface for him, plus, I think he has a mental "thing" with it too. So did Borg, my other fave player.

I think Federer is probably the best player who has ever picked up a tennis racket {raquet}. But Murray has really had a fabulous spring and summer season. He's finally growing into that former gangly body of his. Smiley If he can keep his cool---his temper in check---and if he can keep serving as well as he has the past few days.......and if he can keep that casual "cool" attitude he's had.....it should be a good match.  Smiley I do hope he can keep up his quality of play!

Very inconvenient to have the finals tomorrow afternoon at 5:00. I will have to convince the day care kiddies that Miss Sioux NEEDS to watch tennis! They can play Nintendo on Tuesday... Wink

Can't you just TIVO it?

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:56pm
roger!!!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Quote:
Sioux wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:37pm:

I think Federer is probably the best player who has ever picked up a tennis racket {raquet}. But Murray has really had a fabulous spring and summer season. He's finally growing into that former gangly body of his. Smiley If he can keep his cool---his temper in check---and if he can keep serving as well as he has the past few days.......and if he can keep that casual "cool" attitude he's had.....it should be a good match.  Smiley I do hope he can keep up his quality of play!

Can't you just TIVO it?

Ha ha, I could. If I lived in this century {as far as electronics go} Roll Eyes I could get my husband to videotape it, I suppose...then I'd have to find time to watch it, before the news gets stale!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:51pm
Sioux wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
If I lived in this century {as far as electronics go} I could get my husband to videotape it, I suppose...

Fire up the Betamax!
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:52pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:01pm
I used to work for the USTA.  Even though, I know zip about tennis.  I went to/worked at the US Open twice.  Ate good, partied even better.  Met some pros.  Jimmy Connors was a total asshole.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:30pm
Go Andy go Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:23pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:51pm:
Sioux wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
If I lived in this century {as far as electronics go} I could get my husband to videotape it, I suppose...

Fire up the Betamax!

Lol, as soon as I listen to the latest record on my gramophone... Wink

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:31pm
robpop wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:01pm:
I used to work for the USTA.  Even though, I know zip about tennis.  I went to/worked at the US Open twice.  Ate good, partied even better.  Met some pros.  Jimmy Connors was a total asshole.

Never met Jimmy....but I spent a lot of time with Borg in '79. Wonderful guy. What you saw is what you got. Also spent a lot of time with Nastase---another really, really nice guy...which belies his "bad boy" image on the courts. Vilas was practically unapproachable, thanks to Ion Tiriac. I talked at length with Heinz Gunthardt, Swiss player who went on to coach the incredible Steffi Graf. Wish I could have told him that was in his future! The only bummy acting player I met was Brian Gottfried. I was surprised, as I thought he would be one of the nice ones.....Roscoe Tanner, nice. Manuel Orantes, nice. Jaime Fillol, nice. Raul Ramirez, nice {and gorgeous!} Ditto with Adriano Panatta.....lol, does anybody remember these 70's players?

I live in Arthur Ashe's hometown. Saw him play, but never met him. DID meet his wife and daughter, about 5 months after his death.

I've also seen {but not personally met} Laver, Rosewall, Stan Smith, John Newcombe, Tony Roche, Ivan Lendl.....  Also Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong {my fave, along with Graf}, Ginny Wade, Rosie Casals......even Renee Richards! {The man, Richard Raskind, who had a sex change and played women's tennis}.

SIGH. I miss professional tennis around here.  Sad

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:22pm
Sioux wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:31pm:
I used to work for the USTA.  Even though, I know zip about tennis.  I went to/worked at the US Open twice.  Ate good, partied even better.  Met some pros.  Jimmy Connors was a total asshole.

Never met Jimmy....but I spent a lot of time with Borg in '79. Wonderful guy. What you saw is what you got. Also spent a lot of time with Nastase---another really, really nice guy...which belies his "bad boy" image on the courts. Vilas was practically unapproachable, thanks to Ion Tiriac. I talked at length with Heinz Gunthardt, Swiss player who went on to coach the incredible Steffi Graf. Wish I could have told him that was in his future! The only bummy acting player I met was Brian Gottfried. I was surprised, as I thought he would be one of the nice ones.....Roscoe Tanner, nice. Manuel Orantes, nice. Jaime Fillol, nice. Raul Ramirez, nice {and gorgeous!} Ditto with Adriano Panatta.....lol, does anybody remember these 70's players?

I live in Arthur Ashe's hometown. Saw him play, but never met him. DID meet his wife and daughter, about 5 months after his death.

I've also seen {but not personally met} Laver, Rosewall, Stan Smith, John Newcombe, Tony Roche, Ivan Lendl.....  Also Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong {my fave, along with Graf}, Ginny Wade, Rosie Casals......even Renee Richards! {The man, Richard Raskind, who had a sex change and played women's tennis}.

SIGH. I miss professional tennis around here.  Sad

Nice story thanks. I heard that about Borg. I did speak to James Blake for a few seconds. He seemed like a regular guy. I asked my boss I like could meet Maria Sharapova. It never happened. Although he did produce a generic autographed photo.

Meghann Shaughnessy did buy me a hot dog and a coke!!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:36pm by robpop »  

...&&&&...

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:48pm
robpop wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:22pm:

I've also seen {but not personally met} Laver, Rosewall, Stan Smith, John Newcombe, Tony Roche, Ivan Lendl.....  Also Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong {my fave, along with Graf}, Ginny Wade, Rosie Casals......even Renee Richards! {The man, Richard Raskind, who had a sex change and played women's tennis}.

Nice story thanks. I heard that about Borg. I did speak to James Blake for a few seconds. He seemed like a regular guy. I asked my boss I like could meet Maria Sharapova. It never happened. Although he did produce a generic autographed photo.

sharapova or kornicovia?

Smiley

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Sharapova.  She had just won a major that year.  I dont think Anna Kournikova was in the Open then.  She gave up tennis to be hot.

Maria!!!!!!

...&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:17pm
Quote:

sharapova or kornicovia?

Smiley

Their is no wrong answer to that. Sharapova is just Kournikova with talent.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:47pm
[quote author=Sioux link=1220825488/0#10 date=1220848303][quote author=robpop link=1220825488/0#7 date=1220839279]

Hey, well, that's plenty cool! Smiley I got a few pix of McEnroe in '79....he was SO SHY. Wouldn't stick around to talk. He was not a big deal....yet.... Wink

I got to spend quite a few days hanging out with Borg as he practiced while in town for the tournament. He had won 3 Wimbledons, and had 2 to go. It was amazing just being able to talk to him about his tennis...and Sweden...and everything. His coach, Lennart Bergelin, was a sweetheart too. Really nice, humble people. Borg was always my favorite....

Well, Andy Murray couldn't keep up the frenetic pace today. But he looks to have a great future in tennis, which is wonderful for Great Britain! Would love to see him win Wimbledon someday.......

I think Roger Federer may well end up being the best man to ever play the game.....

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:49pm
One of the guys in my tennis circle is a huge McEnroe fan, apparently. He has the old hairstyle, he wears the high socks with the 2 colored stripes & he yells after every shot. I try to avoid playing with him because he's such an asshole. You know the type, no doubt. Plus he's awkward at moving on the court & loses very easily.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:50pm
And Sampras was always the best. If Nadal hadn't been so out of sorts & lost to that idiot Murray, Rodge would still be licking his wounds.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:59pm
Were the matches back and forth as anticipated?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 5:38pm
Quote:
One of the guys in my tennis circle is a huge McEnroe fan, apparently. He has the old hairstyle, he wears the high socks with the 2 colored stripes & he yells after every shot. I try to avoid playing with him because he's such an asshole. You know the type, no doubt. Plus he's awkward at moving on the court & loses very easily.

i saw johnny mac at the us open a couple of years back. i asked him how tatum was doin. he threw his racket at me.
smoking more weed is good for your health
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008 at 5:41pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:55pm
mojoman wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 5:38pm:
Quote:

i saw johnny mac at the us open a couple of years back. i asked him how tatum was doin. he threw his racket at me.
smoking more weed is good for your health

I'm sure he did!! Shocked

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:57pm
Quote:
And Sampras was always the best. If Nadal hadn't been so out of sorts & lost to that idiot Murray, Rodge would still be licking his wounds.

I think Roger was going to win this one, no matter what. It's his surface, and he hadn't won a Slam all year. But Nadal would have given him a better match {if he'd just gotten it together a bit more}. I still think the Open is a mental thing with Rafa.

Pete might have the most Slam titles, but I think Roger is the better player. And he will pass Pete's record. Roger really has the complete package. Pete was all Bang! Bang! Bang! Serve, return, put away.....BO-RING.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:59pm
P.S. One REALLY has no idea how fast those serves and ground strokes are, unless you see a match in person! The first time I saw Lendl play, his speed just blew me away. TV can't begin to show that speed!!

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:43pm
hey soiux

federer, nadal, conners or borg?

Smiley

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Quote:
hey soiux

federer, nadal, conners or borg?

Smiley

Lol, best tennis player or hunkiest guy? Wink

Federer: best
Nadal: HUNKIEST
Conners: hardest working but nastiest
Borg: COOL, steady, "ice in his veins" Incredible record at French and Wimbledon, back to back!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)