Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
I Think They Are....   ....from Ian (Read 15,774 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
I Think They Are....   ....from Ian
Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:11am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Well, things have been pretty quiet around The Stone's Ponderosa as they say.

It has been reported that all their stage musicians are to keep 2009 open. They have a brand new record contract and have stated they will probably record. It is now September and they are remaining scant (at least Mick, Keith, and Charlie have been. We are fairly sure where Woody is at the present).

Where are they and what are they doing? You know what my guess is.

Ian

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:14am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

marko
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Finland
Re: I Think They Are....   ....from Ian
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:19am
I would think,that they MIGHt start recording new album when the year changes,or if they do it ABB way,which was micks house in france,they can be
recording whenever thet want to.

https://www.facebook.com/marko.kuusela.3  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:26am
marko wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:19am:
I would think,that they MIGHt start recording new album when the year changes,or if they do it ABB way,which was micks house in france,they can be
recording whenever thet want to.

Nice input Marko, but why do you feel they will start when they year changes? As compared to their last four albums they would of already at least starting writing together by now if they are planning to release an album and tour behind it next year.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:28am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:56am

ian you've blown all the cred you put in the bank with your last thread in one fell post

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:13am
stonedinaustrailia wrote:

"ian you've blown all the cred you put in the bank with your last thread in one fell post"

And why is that? Simply because I am the one who started this thread? I can assure you I'm not the only one around here who has this thought (It isn't really a hunch. It's more like a statement based on their track record and recent events). The notion of this thread is really not crazy if you review the record (punn intended). Speaking of the record ...to you for the record, I'd like to let you know that I think you would be surprised at the credibility in areas that I haven't needed to expose anyone here to (which at times I could of ), nor do I have anything to prove.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:27am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:36am
mate that's all fair enough but really while this idle speculation (and that's all it is ) might be fun it really gets us nowhere 

if you want my humble ill informed opinion - we'll be lucky to see any new material from the band in under 2 years (18 months at a pinch)  - if ever

as for a tour the same time frame probably applies

my best guess on future activity is  a huge increase in the use of the material that  is still owned by J/R (as opposed to Klein) and their new record co. in advertisements - all those 70s tunes that resonate so well with most of us ROers - Ioor, TD, Angie Miss You Beast of Burden - they'll all pop up soon helping to sell mobile phones - hire cars - takeaway chicken - whatever you want - as long as the price is right

and as far as someone doing a decent job of a Rarities release - i.e. real rarities and lots of them - I honestly can't see that happening  til mick dies and the way he's going he'll probably be around for at least another 30 years and out live quite a few of us

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:22am

"if you want my humble ill informed opinion - we'll be lucky to see any new material from the band in under 2 years (18 months at a pinch)  - if ever"

*It truly surprises me the Stonesian non-productive and pessimistic attitude so many here have always had:   

I don't want any big sort of debate at all over this like we all have been a part of before time and again on this very subject. I was simply stating this is my guess as to what they are up to. With the timing,  recent events, and their statements since last March...what eles?

You wrote we will be lucky to see an album in 2 years if ever? What do you think they have a brand new record contract for? It isn't just to release older releases again from everything I have read. In fact it is said to be quite "lucrative", was the word the official statement noted all the way around. "Lucrative" meaning "everything" from new albums to older re-issues is the way it read. It even spoke of Universal being forthright and progressive in the music scene today and this coincides with The Stones ambitions from how it read.

Again, I'm definitely NOT trying to start the debate thing again over this. I am just saying this is my best guess. Not simply because of the time of year either. This is based on the recent events, their possible (more probable) tour in 2009, and their very statements as of late.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:30am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 4:24am
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:22am:

"if you want my humble ill informed opinion - we'll be lucky to see any new material from the band in under 2 years (18 months at a pinch)  - if ever"

*It truly surprises me the Stonesian non-productive and pessimistic attitude so many here have always had:   

I don't want any big sort of debate at all over this like we all have been a part of before time and again on this very subject. I was simply stating this is my guess as to what they are up to. With the timing,  recent events, and their statements since last March...what eles?

You wrote we will be lucky to see an album in 2 years if ever? What do you think they have a brand new record contract for? It isn't just to release older releases again from everything I have read. In fact it is said to be quite "lucrative", was the word the official statement noted all the way around. "Lucrative" meaning "everything" from new albums to older re-issues is the way it read. It even spoke of Universal being forthright and progressive in the music scene today and this coincides with The Stones ambitions from how it read.

Again, I'm definitely NOT trying to start the debate thing again over this. I am just saying this is my best guess. Not simply because of the time of year either. This is based on the recent events, their possible (more probable) tour in 2009, and their very statements as of late.

Ian

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 6:49am
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:11am:
 Well, things have been pretty quiet around The Stone's Ponderosa as they say.

It has been reported that all their stage musicians are to keep 2009 open. They have a brand new record contract and have stated they will probably record.

Where has this 'report' come from - and have the Stones actually 'stated' anything?

It is now September and they are remaining scant (at least Mick, Keith, and Charlie have been. We are fairly sure where Woody is at the present).

Where are they and what are they doing? You know what my guess is.

Ian

And you know what mine is. Same as it was last month.

It truly surprises me the Stonesian non-productive and pessimistic attitude so many here have always had

It truly surprises me anyone can feel any other way about a band who have made four albums in 23 years, whose supposedly main tunesmith has had barely ten songs in which hes been the main contributor released since 1992, whose other main writer is becoming increasingly revisionist when it comes to dismissing any of their past work that isnt on greatest hits compilations and who on their last tour pretty much gave up on playing any new songs from the album they were supposed to be touring behind for the last 50 shows of it. They're a nostalgia act. They'll make a new record to keep up the facade of touring behind a new 'product' but its basically a case of paying lip service to it for a few months.

I like your optimism about how creative you think the Stones are, but I honestly cant fathom where you get it from.

Ian Billen wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:26am:
As compared to their last four albums they would of already at least starting writing together by now if they are planning to release an album and tour behind it next year.

Ian

they've been writing 'together' for the last 4 albums??

they can write at any time and do so seperately. Its not 1963 where they have to be locked in a room and told to come up with something.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:55pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:22am
i'll reply the same thing as i did in the thread you started a month ago,
in which you were asking the same question...

So here it goes:

""Rarities II"

(If we're lucky that is)

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:39am
I keep hearing (from RELIABLE sources) that we aren't going to see anything until late 2009 or early 2010.

Factoring in their ages, it's a crap shoot.

And then Depression set in, Ronnie!!!!!!!!!!!  Sad

LJ.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:49am
Maybe the Universal releases will get them pumped & jacked fo mo?

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:58am
My sources are looking for more sources regarding the source of these other sources sources.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 8:13am
Nellcote wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:49am:
Maybe the Universal releases will get them pumped & jacked fo mo?

the re-releases deleuxe (whatever that is going to be), new music and a otur will coincide more or less, and none are going to happen without alot of work ahead of time. Basically 2008 is an off year for them as a band... Fans have a few options, listen to music, wish for a tour and specualate what they are doing or get a life.
hahahaha!

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am
There aint no tour coming and certainly no new stuff. Get over it.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #15 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:23am

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Alcoholic Cunts Like Knives

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:19am

theyre probly workin on it now

or planni to release it and a small indoors tour to keep away from zeppelin, if (by which i mean when) zeppelin tour the stones'll have to take a year or two off and have a killer new album

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:31am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:36am:
mate that's all fair enough but really while this idle speculation (and that's all it is ) might be fun it really gets us nowhere  

Nowhere's not such a bad place to be. Taxes are low and noone gives you any shit. All your freinds are nobodys and noone gives a flying fuck. The only altar is the Holy Juke Box.   

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:00am

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:05am
All of my sources tell me that they released their latest album 4 days ago.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:49am
corgi37 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am:
There aint no tour coming and certainly no new stuff. Get over it.

Idle speculation and it gets us nowhere.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:51am
LadyJane wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:39am:
I keep hearing (from RELIABLE sources) that we aren't going to see anything until late 2009 or early 2010.

Factoring in their ages, it's a crap shoot.

And then Depression set in, Ronnie!!!!!!!!!!!  Sad

LJ.

As you're doubtless aware, the problem with most self-proclaimed 'reliable sources' is that their 'reliability' tends to be inconsistent and selective. For every bit of major info that's right on the money, there's usually at least one that's so far off the mark it can look embarrassing. Not to mention often self-contradictory. That's how it is, unfortunately, when you're feasting on crumbs of info.

I think you're absolutely correct that at this stage it's a crap shoot. The days of the Stones being able to plan activity 1-2 years ahead at a time are over IMO. Too many other factors involved - age, health, over-familiarity due to frequent touring, ageing fanbase and now an impending worldwide recession. I really think the latter factor is a huge issue which will affect future touring plans immensely.

A new record contract indicates new material backed by a tour sooner rather than later, but I honestly feel that the template they've followed since 1989 is history. ABB was a farewell victory lap for many parts of the world. Their egoes wont allow them to start halving ticket prices and with the way things are going, next tour is IMO more likely to be much shorter, playing smaller venues (ie almost exclusively arenas) and almost all in 'major' markets. If they play far-flung parts of the world at all, IMO it's more likely to be places like Dubai where people have more money than sense as opposed to South America or Eastern Europe. If they intend to slavishly chase another record grossing at all costs like before, they'll get a rude awakening.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:57am
LOL. Stones is Stones. Love it. Glad I'm gonna be here for the finale. What a fucking great show they've put on all these years.
Retarded post smoking more weed is good for your health really? Boring post :hilarious :smile

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #23 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:42pm
Global economy pretty much means ABB will live as top gross for quite a while.I'm sure the band are in tune with the fact an enormous tromp around the globe would be a tough sell.Only the Stones would hit just the tail end of an economic boom that allowed them to gross that half billion last tour.Luck plays a lot into it.Zep could make a huge run but the economy and their lack of interest in trecking for 2 years kills their chances to top ABB.Eventually we will have to sit and watch as U2 takes teh crown sometime around 2013.Hell chances are I'll be very hot and burning up looking up at that one.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #24 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:12pm
my sources are telling me there is a new stones album in the works...to be out in time for christmas.

"dirty work....naked"

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)