Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jimmy Miller (Read 5,266 times)
stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Re: Jimmy Miller
Reply #25 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
yes ian a snappy well written post - it certainly helps when you  know what you are talking about (cf - a lot of your posts re the stones recording/song writing activities - where you clearly have have no idea and it shows!!)*

don't you think tho - as well as bossing the board there is  one  production/engineering art as important and  i wonder if it has hasn't lost some of its importance with 21st C digital gear and that is microphone placement and particularly the control of ambient sound

* and i'm still scratching my head over the  idea that it's not mick on the cover of tattoo you   Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:44pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #26 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:39pm
Gazza Wrote:

"interesting stuff, Ian - although who's this "Dave Jerdan, producer of Dirty Work" ?

Ha!!!  lol Yes. Sorry. Had Producers on my mind. I corrected it.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:43pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #27 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:04pm
Ian Billen wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:10pm:
Glencar wrote:

"Rubin actually produces? I read an article on him a few months back & it made him sound very hands-off & mellow."

Your right. Rubin isn't a "technical producer" at all. He doesn't know much about running the equipment or the gear. Nor is he a "musician's producer". I suppose you could say Rubin is an sound observant producer.

Rubin sits (or lyes)  calm and basically motionless while hearing the artist. After a good longer listen he comes up with a mental check-list on the things he wants in place or to change. He talks directly to the musicians about it first, before the engineer. He focuses on the songs arrangement and style and not much of the "sound" aspect. He always has at least one excellent engineer working the board and taking care of the engineering side of things since he is fairly "light" on the technical stuff. In fact, he'd rather not get involved in touching the board at all.

Ian

So he's a director, not a producer.  A dirigent, or orchestra conductor - the title is used in French for both conductors and film directors.

Jagger snapped up Jimmy Miller after hearing his hushed, memorable work on Traffic records.  That "breathing sound" that Ian refers to in JM's Stones productions is precisely the sound you hear on "The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys," and earlier Traffic songs.  I've always felt that the ballad textures on Goats Head Soup ("Coming Down Again," "Winter," "Can You Hear the Music") were leaves from the JM songbook, as interpreted by the Brothers Glimm.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:17pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #28 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:16pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:40pm:
yes ian a snappy well written post - it certainly helps when you  know what you are talking about (cf - a lot of your posts re the stones recording/song writing activities - where you clearly have have no idea and it shows!!)*

don't you think tho - as well as bossing the board there is  one  production/engineering art as important and  i wonder if it has hasn't lost some of its importance with 21st C digital gear and that is microphone placement and particularly the control of ambient sound

* and i'm still scratching my head over the  idea that it's not mick on the cover of tattoo you   Wink

sia, what really sucks, is how much loud over the top mastering is ruining well made albums nowadays...  oh man, it is insane. perfect example is Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium... The Cd mastering is loud, but the vinyl, mastered by Steve Hoffman is IMO correct, and you can hear the instruments, and making it really loud on my stereo, I don't get clipping noises ect... Many bands recent remasters ect.. have fallen victim as well as newer records... The Stones 1994 remasters, are a perfect example of doing it right. Before I got learned about this, I thought those Stones Cd's were quiet, compared to other CD's, I now realize, my other Cd's are butchered and a good listen and some knowledge...
Anyway... It's became an industry norm...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #29 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:29pm
stonedinaustrailia wrote:

don't you think tho - as well as bossing the board there is  one  production/engineering art as important and  i wonder if it has hasn't lost some of its importance with 21st C digital gear and that is microphone placement and particularly the control of ambient sound

I appreciate your thought process. I can say this to you. Microphone placement always has an effect on the sound whether it be digital or analogue recording or mixing practices. Your placement effects the sound regardless of the gear/medium your using.

-The primary reason music recordings often do not sound as it did in the past is because digital recording (hard discs and digital tape) does not yet (although they have made leaps and strides) mimic the true analogue sound wave as recording it to tape (analogue tape) does.

-Another reason is the form of media your playing it on ...hence an ipod/hard disc versus an all analog playing device such as an actual record player. That makes a difference as well.

-More
Music is PURPOSEFULLY compressed today more than before. The dynamics are squashed today to make the music louder. The louder a song is the more likely you'll leave it on versus something with wonderful range of frequencies and more dynamics yet it is quieter.

Lastly,
Lastly, when converting analogue to digital something occurs, and also when compressing audio today  something occurs called "truncating" in it's bit depth (cutting some of it out to convert and/or store it) the audio for conversion and later it works out for less space when storing it, not to mention sampling rate  speeds. In short it removes sound. These bits of information in these "words" are SUPPOSEDLY inaudible to the human ear MOST of the time in higher bit-depths in HIGHER END ADC processing techniques used today. Why is it done??? It comes down to wanting to store more songs in less hard drive space and/or the limitations of analogue to digital conversion technology comes into play. It is known as a "lossy" process. Quantization also effects the sound ....which is more in depth and I don't feel like going into that right now Smiley

- - - - - - - - - - -AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY .... I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!

Today digital plug-ins (nothing more than a computer program basically) do the work of onboard processors or large outboard gear. Or the music is recorded right to a hard disc instead of any kind of tape be it analogue or digital, which also makes a difference.

- - - - - - - - -AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY THESE DO NOT SOUND THE SAME EITHER!

Factor all this in with today's speedy production and the fact that the radio will compress it more anyway before the signal leaves the radio station (if your talking about listening to tunes on radio) and you have music that can sound quite different from the all analogue techniques of yesteryear.

Not to confuse you:
Digital recording DEFINITELY has it's place. It depends on the type of sound you are trying to achieve, how that sound compliments the artist or song, the budget, and your time frame to record.

Ian

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:48pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Ian is a bit of an audiophile... Yay!!!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:54pm
pdog wrote:

"knowing you may be an audio geek may come in helpful for me one day... I'm not an audiophile, I can't afford to be, but I'm intrigued, and do have very good ears..."

Thanks for the compliment. I'd be happy to give out any advice to you (for what ever it may be worth lol).

By the way, "good ears" is where it all starts ...maybe someday you can turn those into "golden ears" as they are called  Wink

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:56pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:56pm
I've been seeking out alot high quality MFSL recordings and scanning website that people talk about better and best mastering ect... I have a pretty good system. I have apowerful Marantz amp, 4 mid-line infinity spkrs and a Sony SACD player.
My problem isn't in enjoying the good quality recordings, it's the stuff by good bands that has been destroyed by bad mastering, digital compression and loud mastering...
I've also revisited alot of bands i used to love, and found better pressings of their CD's, and found, I can enjoy certain bands again, I had lost interest in...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:29pm
andews27 wrote:

"So he's a director, not a producer.  A dirigent, or orchestra conductor - the title is used in French for both conductors and film directors."

Your so right. Just because Rubin does not know a whole lot about the gear or the technical aspect of recording in today's day and age definitely does NOT mean the dude isn't producing. He has his own way of doing it and yes he is CERTAINLY producing and doing his job.

After all, that is all a Producer really is....just a "director of an album" so to speak.

He is quiet and subdued from everything I was ever told about him (I never met or worked with him but I have worked with people who directly worked under him on Wandering Spirit) and is totally down to earth. Rubin treats recording artist stars just like what they are when your the Record Producer....just people your working with. He is open to suggestion as well from anybody that will offer it.

Rubin will actually talk with the band about what they think about the sound during the recordings and might ask for their input. 

Different producers get things done in their own way is all. I agree.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:40pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

smokeydusky
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #34 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:07am
As a musician he was responsible at least for:  the woo-woos in SFTD and the drum part in YCAGWYW, Happy and a few others.  

I thought he was known as someone who got a great drum sound around the time he hooked up with the Stones.  Before his rock production career, he was a jazz drummer, and it shows on YCAGWYW.  He also co-wrote or inspired (I forget) I'm A Man by Winwood, which he said came from an old jazz tune, and he later produced Johnny Thunders and Motorhead. 

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:16am by smokeydusky »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:05am
smokeydusky wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:07am:
As a musician he was responsible at least for:  the woo-woos in SFTD and the drum part in YCAGWYW, Happy and a few others.  

I thought he was known as someone who got a great drum sound around the time he hooked up with the Stones.  Before his rock production career, he was a jazz drummer, and it shows on YCAGWYW.  He also co-wrote or inspired (I forget) I'm A Man by Winwood, which he said came from an old jazz tune, and he later produced Johnny Thunders and Motorhead.  

One of his last credits was as co-producer on Primal Scream's 1991 album "Screamadelica".

While the album wasnt as Stones-influenced as many of their other efforts (its much more house-music orientated), I always thought it a bit ironic that the hit single from their next album ("Rocks" from 'Give out but dont give up') was a quite blatant rip off of two Stones songs that were produced by Jimmy Miller - the obvious one being 'Rocks Off' but, more bizarrely, the bridge from the GHS outtake "Criss Cross Mind"..

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #36 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 10:07am
[/quote]

One of his last credits was as co-producer on Primal Scream's 1991 album "Screamadelica".

While the album wasnt as Stones-influenced as many of their other efforts (its much more house-music orientated), I always thought it a bit ironic that the hit single from their next album ("Rocks" from 'Give out but dont give up') was a quite blatant rip off of two Stones songs that were produced by Jimmy Miller - the obvious one being 'Rocks Off' but, more bizarrely, the bridge from the GHS outtake "Criss Cross Mind".. [/quote]

Screamadelica is another great Miller produced album IMO , experimental in a good way.
Primal Scream are a great band, they have kept producing innovative albums whilst still being rock n roll. Musically though "Rocks" is quite different to "Rocks Off" apart from the obvious lyrical reference.

Not sure if I like how this thread has by enlarge become a discussion on Rubin's producing technique, he's not the only great producer out there BTW.
The Stones will never work with a "big name" producer now though, as was pointed out by a previous post

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:33pm
Bring back the Glimmer Twins!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #38 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 7:50am
Quote:
Bring back the Glimmer Twins!

They never went away...

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #39 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:32pm
No one has mentioned Glyn Johns in this equation. From interviews,I get the impression that he take no shit AND he recorded the "punk rock"Live EP "GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT ! " in 64/65 .Worked on lots of classic 60's recordings (as an engineer) before Jimmy Miller teamed up with the Stones.

He had a "huge row" with Keith during the Black and Blue sessions and walked out,never to return.

sc uk

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:32pm
straycatuk wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:32pm:
No one has mentioned Glyn Johns in this equation. From interviews,I get the impression that he take no shit AND he recorded the "punk rock"Live EP "GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT ! " in 64/65 .Worked on lots of classic 60's recordings (as an engineer) before Jimmy Miller teamed up with the Stones.

He had a "huge row" with Keith during the Black and Blue sessions and walked out,never to return.

sc uk

yeah engineers cannot be forgotten cos they're the one's who actually find the right sound for each song, more so than the producer.
Glyn's brother Andy was also an engineer for the Stones around the Jimmy Miller years

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #41 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 6:48pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:29pm:
To add to the bit about Rubin's 'method', I remember reading one account of a session (maybe it was Jagger's) where it mentined something about him spending hours at a time sitting in his car outside while the artist and engineers worked away in the studio

Wasn't that Mick recalling how they went in the street in Rubin's fancy white car (Mercedes ?) to play back mixes of "Sweet Thing" and get feedback from guys lurking around? I'll have to dig out that Musician interviews where he mentions that.

In any case, this thread is pretty amazing, not in the least because Ian is finally getting some respect after two plus years of "off the wall" posts, BRAVO !

As a side (but related) note, you guys won't believe what I found in a little antique shop the other day, an embossed Tattoo You promo cover about 50cm/50cm, should I offer it to Ian or sell it for a grand on eBay ?

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #42 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 8:55am
straycatuk wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:32pm:

sc uk

HE ALSO GOT KNOCKED OUT BY ROGER DALTREY DURING WHO ARE YOU SESSIONS

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #43 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:17am

" HE ALSO GOT KNOCKED OUT BY ROGER DALTREY DURING WHO ARE YOU SESSIONS  "

That is right ! .. Good Postin' Perks

Here .......... you deserve it : Enjoy :

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #44 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 11:48am
smokeydusky wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:07am:

How about all the maracas, castanets, spoons, and that thingy you rub on the side with a stick that appear on lots of tunes starting with JJF?  Let's call it "exotic percussion."

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)