Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jimmy Miller (Read 5,267 times)
speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Jimmy Miller
Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:43pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Jiimmy Miller -producer and co architect of the much acclaimed quartet of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile, plus Goats Head Soup

This guy has got to be one of the most un-aknowledged and underrated players in the Stones history & producers ever 

just Googled his name and a tiny Wikipedia article  plus a little bit on Timeisonourside, is all I can find on him  Blank Frigging Stare

producing the Stones can't have been easy by any stretch, and those records would not have been the same without him surely

just listen to the drum sound on sticky fingers, amazing

anyone else think he's a forgotten force?
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:55pm by speedfreakjive »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Jimmy Miller
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:22pm
Most definitely.

Its a misconception to date the Stones "golden era" as encompassing the period that Mick Taylor was in the band - because it overlooks the music created in the 14 months before he joined and the undeniable fact that there was a gradual decline in their output which preceded his departure.

Much more realistic to date it back to the first single they made with Jimmy Miller - Jumpin Jack Flash - through to Goats Head Soup, by which time he had burned himself out.

Mick and Keith were at their peak as songwriters between 1968 and the making of Exile in 1971 - and the Stones created their greatest work in that period because they had a fantastic producer who brought out the best in them.

In that period of just over 3 and a half years, no other act in the history of popular music (with the probable exception of Dylan in the mid 60's) has ever produced such a burst of sustained brilliance.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:25pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 3:35pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:22pm:
Most definitely.

Its a misconception to date the Stones "golden era" as encompassing the period that Mick Taylor was in the band - because it overlooks the music created in the 14 months before he joined and the undeniable fact that there was a gradual decline in their output which preceded his departure.

Much more realistic to date it back to the first single they made with Jimmy Miller - Jumpin Jack Flash - through to Goats Head Soup, by which time he had burned himself out.

Mick and Keith were at their peak as songwriters between 1968 and the making of Exile in 1971 - and the Stones created their greatest work in that period because they had a fantastic producer who brought out the best in them.

In that period of just over 3 and a half years, no other act in the history of popular music (with the probable exception of Dylan in the mid 60's) has ever produced such a burst of sustained brilliance.

Sometimes we need someone to say the obvious.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 4:34pm
Great producer, some highlights in addition to the Stones are Traffic, Sky, Spooky Tooth, Blind Faith, The Move, Family... I like it!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:43pm
If Jimmy is still around what better guy to hand the keys to the vaults to?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:54pm
Didn't he die?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:45pm
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:43pm:

he died 14 years ago.

I'd nominate Chris Kimsey if you're going to go with the technical side of things, but for an archive project you also need people on board who will know what theyre looking for and who can put the stuff in it's historical context as well as professionals who can mix the music properly.

The guys who have been entrusted with overseeing the archives of artists like Elvis, Dylan and the Grateful Dead so well have done so without being directly involved with their subject's record-making process.

The "Dicks Picks" series really is the template that the Stones SHOULD be looking to model their archive releases on. They wouldnt even have to do the dirty work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Latvala
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:50pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm
Rick Rubin vs Jimmy Miller.

Discuss.

Am I good or am I good?

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:54pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:22pm:
Most definitely.

Well said.  I agree too.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Miller and Kimsey produced differently. Miller was a skilled musician, as well as a producer. Hence, he was a "musicians producer". Where as Kimsey was, as Gazza stated more along the lines of the technical side of production.

Kimsey produced with Mick's vocals out in front with a more straightforward mix. Miller produced Jaggers vocals more buried in the mix with a lot of doubling to them. Millers production had depth in it's sound. It was much more organic with a lot of breathing to the instruments sound. Kimsey's production style (most often, but not always) was more over a direct approach, more surfaced based, and tighter .. fitting perfectly in the late seventies and early eighties.

Kimsey produced a few lower end (for Stones standards they were lower end. Still they were fair albums with some memorable tunes on each of them) Stones albums where Miller produced four or five masterworks.

Two different types of production.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:38pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:01pm
i'll have to look it up to get it exactly but there's a great moment in 1 + 1 where the band are jamming away in a rather desultory and unispired manner - to which jimmy wryly comments (approx) "that's great -  now if we could just find some sort of groove..." to which Mick chuckles sardonically - he knows jimmy is saying it's not good enough and he knows that he's right as well

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

sammy davis jr.
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 11:03pm
Jimmy Miller was everything a producer should be- a musician,  inspiration giver, knowing what sounds good and how to push the band to do it.  I would give him every bit as much of the credit Mick Taylor gets for that great run of albums.  It's a shame the Stones ate him up and spit him out like so many others.  I know the only person who got him hooked on dope was himself, but the company you keep will kill ya. He was the Stones' version of George Martin.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 12:50am
Gazza wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:45pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 5:43pm:

The "Dicks Picks" series really is the template that the Stones SHOULD be looking to model their archive releases on. They wouldnt even have to do the dirty work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Latvala

that's it!!! smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:03am
speedfreakjive wrote:

"This guy has got to be one of the most un-aknowledged and underrated players in the Stones history & producers ever 

just Googled his name and a tiny Wikipedia article  plus a little bit on Timeisonourside, is all I can find on him"

Your so right speedfreakjive.

Wikipedia doesn't do him justice. It is not any sort of lengthy acclaim to such an outstanding Record Producer. While his work was not totally abundant, the work he did was simply masterful.

I am surprised Wikipedia didn't at least give some more info on his career, personal life, and death in their own sub-categories as this website does with so many other greats.

If you perform certain searches you will find much more info (as almost anything goes when it comes to Google), but still, I definitely see your gripe (and now my gripe as well). The web doesn't provide information on him as all the others and it REALLY should.

The guy was an astounding producer and very skilled musician. What a shame he doesn't get the "just do" he deserves (type in "Rick Rubin" and you'll get a zillion hits and over 100,000 pages of info on him...).

**Miller's production style provided a raunchy rawness ...while at the very same time added touches of polish and additions to the music all while making the tracks sound cohesive and fabulous in a manner I have never heard before. The Black Crows Lions is a really nice piece if you like Miller's style of production.

One thing is certain, true Stones fans (and there are millions of those) will NEVER forget him or what he did.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:09am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:46am
There's no doubt Miller got the best out of the band. Keith seems almost proud that "we wore him out".

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:28am
sammy davis jr. wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 11:03pm:
Jimmy Miller was everything a producer should be- a musician,  inspiration giver, knowing what sounds good and how to push the band to do it.

Can't say it better even after reading  :smile

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:54am
Quote:
Rick Rubin vs Jimmy Miller.

Discuss.

Am I good or am I good?

Its certainly a valid comparison.

Rubin also has a great talent for bringing the best out of his artists.

However, the problem is that its the Stones who have changed in the last four decades in a way where they are so set in their ways and possess a degree of arrogance (understandable to some extent based on their success and longevity) which doesnt bode well for working with a producer with the hands-on style of someone like Rubin. I suppose Was' style suits their comfort zone more.

Jagger's relationship with Rubin when working on Wandering Spirit was absolutely dreadful. Rubin is on record as saying that Jagger was so used to being surrounded by yes-men telling him his shit doesnt stink that he simply couldnt handle the concept of Rubin telling him that 'you are capable of doing better than this'. The end product however justified the means -  WS was easily Jagger's best solo album and saw him produce better songs than he was often writing for Stones albums around that era.

However, its quite obvious that Rubin would have no wish to work with him again. Add the luddite-like and siege mentality that Keith has to 'outsiders' to the equation and that makes the chances of it happening as slim going on none.

The Stones' loss (and ours), unfortunately.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:43am
rubin is amazing, although there's a big dif. as I see it. Rubin has worked better with older artists, and getting that mazing thing out ogf hwat would seem to be a dry well. I like his earlier work, but it was with bands who already had loud powerful music, like slayer and The Cult. He improved, but not like Miller did with The Stones. I don't think Rubin, if we had a wayback machine, would've done what Miller did in the 70's. Look at the dif. between The Cult's Love album and the follow up electric. Anyone who has heard the Peace album, which is on the limited ed. boxset, has heard the dif. The peace album is The electric album with a different producer.
Eaqual but different and I think Miller wins... until rubin does for The Stones what he did for Cash.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 12:51pm
Rubin actually produces? I read an article on him a few months back & it made him sound very hands-off & mellow.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:10pm
Glencar wrote:

"Rubin actually produces? I read an article on him a few months back & it made him sound very hands-off & mellow."

Your right. Rubin isn't a "technical producer" at all. He doesn't know much about running the equipment or the gear. Nor is he a "musician's producer". I suppose you could say Rubin is an sound observant producer.

Rubin sits (or lyes)  calm and basically motionless while hearing the artist. After a good longer listen he comes up with a mental check-list on the things he wants in place or to change. He talks directly to the musicians about it first, before the engineer. He focuses on the songs arrangement and style and not much of the "sound" aspect. He always has at least one excellent engineer working the board and taking care of the engineering side of things since he is fairly "light" on the technical stuff. In fact, he'd rather not get involved in touching the board at all.

This is not uncommon. Many producers (except ones like Miller) forget the board all together after they get deep into production. They may suggest certain outboard gear be patched in or ask for a certain sound from the engineer. Half the time they keep an eye on the person (or company) during the mastering process to make sure all is well. After a good number of years working in studios, most people will be able to run a board, or at least know the basics about most just fine. This is why many producers let that part go when they start producing.

It is the knowledge of the song and making it work in the what, when, and how that is the hard part. Also it is the knack of where to record to get good vibes and sound, and with who to call in as session musicians. The knowledge of how to get the band writing great music again. In other words it's things like ...should we begin writing music first or lyrics first with Joe Artist?

This is the key part to learning to produce. Not so much running the gear (although that still has to be in place either with you or someone there). 

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:13pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 2:55pm
Ian, I agree with most of what you wrote,although what are your sources, that he doesn't know or get involved with any tech or touching of the boards. He is a musician, and was also a DJ for the bestie boys. hip hop dj's, all the do is touch stuff... I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just wondering your sources, b/c I've not heard this before!!!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 4:44pm
pDog Wrote:

"Ian, I agree with most of what you wrote,although what are your sources, that he doesn't know or get involved with any tech or touching of the boards. I'm just wondering your sources, b/c I've not heard this before!!!

That is just how I interpret him as a Producer. <<<Ok.. I'll let you off the hook ...that's a joke that I knew would get under your skin.

Here it is seriously:
I went to school for Audio Engineering and Production. It is probably the best Audio Engineering school in the country (if not the world). They have some Grammy winning people teaching there (not that that means anything but it does lend to credibility). One of the instructors there knew of Rubin and he specifically explained this to me. Later, I interned with an engineer in Los Angeles, Elan Trujillo, who had "been around" as far as the Music Industry and recording goes (for what it's worth and on a side note he was real good pals with Dave Jerden, 1rst Engineer on Dirty Work. I am sure William Perks is just frothing at the mouth over that lol). He and a couple people there were quite familiar with Rubin (However, I cannot remember SPECIFICALLY if Elan affirmed Rubin's production style to me when we spoke of him?). Although, we certainly had discussed Rubin (one day he even showed me where Rubin lived and mentioned he sent someone to work with Rubin at one time...so they had connected).   

*In Addition:
I read an article of an interview with Rubin in Rolling Stone Magazine:

Rubin specifically stated in reference to his being a producer almost verbatim ...."I don't know much about running a board, but I know what I want to hear".

**Later:
Then (since I am kind of an Audio geek I suppose), I "youtubed" Rubin doing work in the studio and it showed evidence of what I was told personally concerning his production style.

Well, that's part of my lousy audio resume Wink, for what it's worth. Smiley

Cheers,

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:41pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:10pm
Ian Billen wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 4:44pm:
pDog Wrote:

"Ian, I agree with most of what you wrote,although what are your sources, that he doesn't know or get involved with any tech or touching of the boards. I'm just wondering your sources, b/c I've not heard this before!!!

That is just how I interpret him as a Producer. <<<Ok.. I'll let you off the hook ...that's a joke that I knew would get under your skin.

Here it is seriously:
I went to school for Audio Engineering and Production. It is probably the best Audio Engineering school in the country (if not the world). They have some Grammy winning people teaching there (not that that means anything but it does lend to credibility). One of the instructors there knew of Rubin and he specifically explained this to me. Later, I interned with an engineer in Los Angeles, Elan Trujillo, who had "been around" as far as the Music Industry and recording goes (for what it's worth and on a side note he was real good pals with Dave Jerden, Producer of Dirty Work. I am sure William Perks is just frothing at the mouth over that lol). He and a couple people there were quite familiar with Rubin (However, I cannot remember SPECIFICALLY if Elan affirmed Rubin's production style to me when we spoke of him?). Although, we certainly had discussed Rubin (one day he even showed me where Rubin lived and mentioned he sent someone to work with Rubin at one time...so they had connected).  

*In Addition:
I read an article of an interview with Rubin in Rolling Stone Magazine:

Rubin specifically stated in reference to his being a producer almost verbatim ...."I don't know much about running a board, but I know what I want to hear".

**Later:
Then (since I am kind of an Audio geek I suppose), I "youtubed" Rubin doing work in the studio and it showed evidence of what I was told personally concerning his production style.

Well, that's part of my lousy audio resume Wink, for what it's worth. Smiley

Cheers,

Ian

Haha... you didn't get under my skin, in fact, you were more than gracious. I'll live to give you shit another day. you first post was really cool, and this filled the holes up nicely.
knowing you may be an audio geek may come in helpful for me one day... I'm not an audiophile, I can't afford to be, but I'm intrigued, and do have very good ears...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #23 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:11pm
I sense a thawing.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #24 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Interesting stuff, Ian - although who's this "Dave Jerdan, producer of Dirty Work" ?

Surely that was Steve Lillywhite?

(edit ; just looked at the album credits. This Jerdan guy was the engineer on the record. Thanks)

To add to the bit about Rubin's 'method', I remember reading one account of a session (maybe it was Jagger's) where it mentined something about him spending hours at a time sitting in his car outside while the artist and engineers worked away in the studio
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:33pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)