Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bruce Springsteen Concert vs Stones Concert (Read 4,412 times)
Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Bruce Springsteen Concert vs Stones Concert
Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:48pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I have now seen both and I'd like to know how Rocks Off feels about the difference. Which one you feel now puts on a better show. The difference in the amount of songs played and the overall quality of the performance. Which is more of an event.
I'm not tryin to start  a fight here, just wanted to know some of your opinions. I'm torn, I was thrilled to get a chance to see The Stones, I believe to be  the Greatest Rock N Roll Band Ever.  Kiss my undercover ass BUT having just seen the Boss,  as he played like 30 songs and 3 hours, played the audience, with no front act, Interacted with his fans, I got say He Rocked the house. Blank Frigging Stare
Let the tar and feathering begin.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:52pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Re: Bruce Springsteen Concert vs Stones Concert
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:58pm
Bruce easy, within the last 13 years.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:02pm
Lets see if Bruce plays for 3 hours when he's 65.

Hard to believe that a Rolling Stones message board has a Bruce Springsteen topic post w/ the most views and most replies.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:05pm
Quote:

Hard to believe that a Rolling Stones message board has a Bruce Springsteen topic post w/ the most views and most replies.

Bruce is 60 now, and his shows have been better since I could remember.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Brasil
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:38pm
As much as I love The Stones, and they're my favorite band, you just can't deny that Bruce and E Street Band is a better live act.. His '78 and '80/'81 tours are legendary, and he knows like noone else how to work the crowd

Plus let's face it... Mick Jagger, nowadays doesn't even look down at the crowd. Bruce on the other hand is a simple person and interacts with the crowd

This clip exemplyfies this very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7oIThTv7Qk

"Lets see if Bruce plays for 3 hours when he's 65. 

Hard to believe that a Rolling Stones message board has a Bruce Springsteen topic post w/ the most views and most replies."

Bruce is/was doing a tour has been blowin' people away night after night for the past year.. The Stones realeased a movie and that was it.... Kinda explains why there's been little Stones discussion
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:40pm by Eduardo BM Paiva »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Bruce is great, but his shows, I've been to two, aren't the same as Stones shows. I even passed on seeing him in Oakland, I wouldn't pass on a Stones show, no matter how much I bitch about them.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Stunning fucking thread. ABSOLUTELY THE STONES ARE BETTER, DAY IN DAY OUT. LET"S NOT EVEN PRETEND THIS IS LEGIT QUESTION. I MEAN, WHAT THE FUC!

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:11pm
VERY LEGIT QUESTION.  OK.  WTF?  I HAVE SEEN THEN BOTH SEVERAL TIMES IN THE LAST 25 YEARS.   ALTHOUGH THE STONES ARE MY FAVORITE OF ALL TIMES, BRUCE DOES PUT ON A BETTER SHOW.  Ok, I done with the caps.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:13pm
Let's not make this one of the worst threads in the History of RO.

It's the Stones for me....anytime, anyday, any age, any weather condition, any venue.....

Bruce and the ESB have been phenomenal. Those that love them should be so proud. I was lucky enough to catch a show and thought it was great!! An excellent dose of much needed  raw Rock n Roll. outstanding setlists and show times. Oh how I wish I could see the "boys" do a 3 hour show and take requests via sign from the crowd. But that ain't happenin'.

Apples and Oranges.

But NO BAND will EVER provide me the 'Tingle" of the Rolling Stones. That's just me. Longtime regular of a great Rolling Stones Board, Rocks Off!!!!

LJ.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:14pm

< ----- BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:16pm
LadyJane wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:13pm:

It's the Stones for me....anytime, anyday, any age, any weather condition, any venue.....

Bruce and the ESB have been phenomenal. Those that love them should be so proud. I was lucky enough to catch a show and thought it was great!! An excellent dose of much needed  raw Rock n Roll. outstanding setlists and show times. Oh how I wish I could see the "boys" do a 3 hour show and take requests via sign from the crowd. But that ain't happenin'.

Apples and Oranges.

But NO BAND will EVER provide me the 'Tingle" of the Rolling Stones. That's just me. Longtime regular of a great Rolling Stones Board, Rocks Off!!!!

LJ.

I'm sorry....I can be an ass sometimes,ok a lot of times.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:21pm
LadyJane wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:13pm:

Bruce and the ESB have been phenomenal. Those that love them should be so proud. I was lucky enough to catch a show and thought it was great!! An excellent dose of much needed  raw Rock n Roll. outstanding setlists and show times. Oh how I wish I could see the "boys" do a 3 hour show and take requests via sign from the crowd. But that ain't happenin'.

Apples and Oranges.

LJ.

Those moronic speeches "the Boss" gives don't add to his luster. And I've had Mick & Keith pose for me & my crappy disposable cameras. The last time was in Atlantic City. The crowd to see Brucie was actually older than any Stones crowd I've seen. Yes, it was a good show but no, it wasn't better than the Stones. Ri-goddam-DICKulous.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:28pm
End of Story.  Its all political.  By the way....i'm going on out on a limb here, not much of one, but the R S (if able to vote in the US) would vote for BO.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:47pm
Quote:
[quote author=LadyJane link=1219711731/0#8 date=1219716833]Let's not make this one of the worst threads in the History of RO.

Bruce and the ESB have been phenomenal. Those that love them should be so proud. I was lucky enough to catch a show and thought it was great!! An excellent dose of much needed  raw Rock n Roll. outstanding setlists and show times. Oh how I wish I could see the "boys" do a 3 hour show and take requests via sign from the crowd. But that ain't happenin'.

Apples and Oranges.

LJ.

Those moronic speeches "the Boss" gives don't add to his luster.

What moronic speeches? 2 days before the DNC,on the day when Obama announced his running mate and on a nite when Living in the Future was back in the setlist. He didn't say 1 word about politics. Not even the usual 30 second speil he used to do before Living In The Future.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:54am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

City of Champions
Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:13pm
Do you know, what I have been saying SCL, Now?

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:07pm
Eduardo BM Paiva wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:38pm:
As much as I love The Stones, and they're my favorite band, you just can't deny that Bruce and E Street Band is a better live act.. His '78 and '80/'81 tours are legendary, and he knows like noone else how to work the crowd

Plus let's face it... Mick Jagger, nowadays doesn't even look down at the crowd. Bruce on the other hand is a simple person and interacts with the crowd

This clip exemplyfies this very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7oIThTv7Qk

"Lets see if Bruce plays for 3 hours when he's 65. 

Hard to believe that a Rolling Stones message board has a Bruce Springsteen topic post w/ the most views and most replies."

Bruce is/was doing a tour has been blowin' people away night after night for the past year.. The Stones realeased a movie and that was it.... Kinda explains why there's been little Stones discussion

that's a nice clip...but y'all should see feej work the crowd. it is goddamned something to be reckoned with.

for my baby meg....

http://www.harddaysnighttribute.com/about.html

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:12pm
robpop wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:28pm:
End of Story.  Its all political.  By the way....i'm going on out on a limb here, not much of one, but the R S (if able to vote in the US) would vote for BO.

a very high percentage of artists would vote for him... no question, no doubt.

IP Logged

marko
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Finland
Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:30am
Who stole this one? (Seriously)

Wasn´t it keith,who said that good rock n roll act.lasts only 20minutes!Let alone 3 hours?
Does bruce still keep his preaching?He should stop that...not very rock n roll.

https://www.facebook.com/marko.kuusela.3  
IP Logged

Linda
Rocks Off Regular

One Love!

Luleå, Sweden
Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:46am
I have never seen the Stones live since I got in to them WAY TO LATE... Let's just hope we get at least one more tour, as I say to my friends when I've seen the Stones my life will be complete...
Anyway I'v seen Bruce three time, two of them in Gothenburg, Ullevi, this summer and it was the best 6 hours of my life  Wink I just have to wait and see if the Stones can top that.... I think that I'm gonna have some problems to choose beacuse in my mind they sort of  do different things... I rather see Bruce on a Stadium because it's very powerful at the same time as he's very close to the audience.... and if I got to choose were to see the Stones I would say in a theater because that's when it's just down to the music (Even though I would like to see the stones on all the different venues)....

Since we are talking Bruce and the way he ineracts with the audience.. I have to share my proudest moment from this summer  Wink

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_SMTBHxJA

/Linda

You Got The Silver, You Got The Gold
Linda  
IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:03am
Easy, the Stones!    Also, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Iggy, the Strokes, KOL, and Babyshambles.   And, Willie Nelson!!!

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:14am
Quote:

As opposed to the Stones playing for less than two?

Some of his band are already around that age. Clarence Clemons is older than all of the Stones except Charlie.

Bruce has always played longer shows than the Stones have done at his age. Often around 50% longer. So your answer makes no sense.  He's the same age now that Jagger was on the Licks tour and is performing for over an hour longer.

Its an apples and oranges question anyway, but as someone who likes both acts equally (which gives me a different perspective than someone who only really likes one of them), the gulf unfortunately has never been greater although both put on excellent shows.

Personally, I'm grateful they're both still around and providing great entertainment.

Quote:

Well its only one thread. Feel free to avoid it if it hurts or leave if you dont like it. Then again, I suppose - considering its a music related board - we could always use another tiresome thread on US politics.

The last Stones show was a year ago. Since then their activity has consisted of attending about three film premieres. Bruce has released an album and played something like 105 shows - hence the prolonged interest on the one thread relating to him thats on this board. If he hardly sold any records and few people went to see him would it bother you anywhere near as much? I dont see any complaints when there are threads on Dylan or anyone else.

The way round it might be to post a Stones related thread.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:57am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:35am
Quote:
  [Those moronic speeches "the Boss" gives don't add to his luster. .

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it ironic that there are people who think that the occasional 30-second 'speech' (usually done in a self deprecating manner) in a 3 hour concert is out of place  yet they have no qualms about having endless heated debates on the same subject on a music forum.

That plus the fact that there are two songs on the last Rolling Stones album which are far more politically barbed and bitterly anti-Republican than any song or speech Springsteen has ever uttered.

Rock 'n' roll moved way beyond merely writing about relationships over 40 years ago. If music fans want artists to avoid writing about what's happening in the world around them, maybe we should all just be listening to Barry Manilow.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:07am
Apples and oranges indeed. It's a matter of taste. I'm a fan of both Bruce and the Stones. If both bands were playing the same night and I could only go to one show? The Stones, no doubt about it. But that's just me.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:25am
Gazza wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:35am:
Quote:
 [Those moronic speeches "the Boss" gives don't add to his luster. .

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it ironic that there are people who think that the occasional 30-second 'speech' (usually done in a self deprecating manner) in a 3 hour concert is out of place  yet they have no qualms about having endless heated debates on the same subject on a music forum.

That plus the fact that there are two songs on the last Rolling Stones album which are far more politically barbed and bitterly anti-Republican than any song or speech Springsteen has ever uttered.

Rock 'n' roll moved way beyond merely writing about relationships over 40 years ago. If music fans want artists to avoid writing about what's happening in the world around them, maybe we should all just be listening to Barry Manilow.

"......maybe we should all just be listening to Barry Manilow."

Well he does write the songs....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-fev20voMc

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:34am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 11:02am
I find Springsteen boring but I'm very much in the minority. I say the more good bands touring the better for everyone This thing about Stones having to be #1 in all things..well I kinda gave that up in high school.Music moods can change and the more variety thebetter.I saw Johnny Winter in Toronto in 1976 for instance and for that one night he was the Greatest Roc in Roll band in the World.So were the Dead and the Who few times for me anyway. Enjoy the Boss..U2..Zep...Who...Vedder..Winehouse...Lucinda etc..its all good!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)