Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wingless Angels (Read 1,092 times)
MaineMotels
Ex Member

Wingless Angels
Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:09am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Week of August 7, 2008, Issue #668

Vueweekly.com-MUSIC
Old Sounds - Wingless Angels
EDEN MUNRO / [email protected]
Originally released: 1997

Keith Richards, after year upon year of chiseling away at his sound and songwriting within the Rolling Stones, is pretty much synonymous with songs that tell their stories through chordal riffs—tracks like “Satisfaction, “Jumping Jack Flash” and “Start Me Up” are as good as any if you’re looking for songs that define what Richards can do with a guitar.

Even Richards’ solo material follows the same path, too, with chords swirling around the drums, carving songs out of the air around them. But every now and then it seems that the oldest of rock ‘n’ roll’s pirate kings can pull out something to surprise listeners.

This self-titled record by Wingless Angels is most definitely not a Richards album, yet the man is all over the music, with guitar, piano and vocals. The album has its roots as far back as 1972 when the Stones recorded Goats Head Soup in Kingston, Jamaica, leading to Richards falling in love with the country and buying a home there.

It was at Richards’ home—in his backyard, in fact—that he recorded the musicians who make up Wingless Angels, initially capturing the songs sometime in the early-’90s and then working away at adding guitars and fiddles to the mix over the next few years.

Despite the potential for disaster when overdubbing on top of a spontaneous base, Richards shows real restraint in what and how he adds to the songs of Nyabinghi Rastafarian chanting and drumming; the instruments are just barely there, never intruding and always supporting.

The recording itself sounds effortless, with the sounds of the Jamaican forest—birds and frogs and the like—creeping into the songs and filling empty spaces, while Richards and the musicians exchange jokes and share in the laughter between tracks.

While Richards has demonstrated plenty of love for reggae over the years, integrating the sound into a good number of Stones’ tracks and his own solo material, along with guest spots alongside Toots Hibbert (“Careless Ethiopians” and “Pressure Drop”) and the late Peter Tosh (“Bush Doctor” and “Stand Firm”), it’s still absolutely impressive how well he blends into the mix of musicians on this album.

Known primarily for his guitar playing, Richards voice is integral—and perfectly suited—for

The highlights here are many and frequent, as the musicians pull out songs both familiar (“Rivers of Babylon,” which appeared on the soundtrack to the 1972’s The Harder They Come and has been recorded by everyone from Steve Earle to Boney M) and lesser known (the gently rolling “Ring Out Mt Zion Bells”).

At just over an hour in length, Wingless Angels is a musical journey that’s relaxing and inspiring—the common thread here being the uplifting nature of the recording—and one that is well worth the time to close your eyes and take the trip.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Wingless Angels
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:28am
An absolutely beautiful record. I hope it doesnt take him 25 years to put together the next one.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:21am
Gazza wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:28am:
An absolutely beautiful record. I hope it doesnt take him 25 years to put together the next one.

I only hope he has 25 years left to give it a go.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:26am
Check this great interview in REAL AUDIO

Tuesday, December 16, 1997 - Liza Richardson interviews Keith Richards, on tour with The Rolling Stones, about his project ‘Wingless Angels,’ a Rastafarian drum & chant ensemble.

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Strange Skies
Rocks Off Regular

Let's do some living after
we die

Austria
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:33am
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:21am:
Gazza wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:28am:

I only hope he has 25 years left to give it a go.

Of course he does!  Let's go get drunk

Thanks for posting the link to the interview, Vodoo Chile. I saw it some time ago and loved it!

...&&&&
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:45am
I always thought this was a really boring record & had only played it once but I'll give it another try.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:49am
Quote:
I always thought this was a really boring record & had only played it once but I'll give it another try.

Smoke about 3 large joints first. I'm with you found it rather boring but it is a matter of taste of course.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 4:55pm
if one is having trouble falling asleep...slap on this cd and you'll be in la la land in no time.  at least i am anyway.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:02pm
Probably one of my favorite albums.

Love how the beat is just slower than your own heart.

When they mesh, it's heaven.

But if you want to go deeper...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)