Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stones to Sign with Universal...Dump EMI (Read 4,394 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: Stones to Sign with Universal...Dump EMI
Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I'm so excited, I'm typing this with one pinky in the air.

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:53pm
Good news, thank god EMI is gone.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #27 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 12:13am

Why the bad rap on EMI? Are you speaking about the quality of their out-put with them or....the down-scale marketing of ABB ...or what? Just curious?

Well I am SURE the Stones will record again, and tour again as all of them state they will.

YES their will be another all new studio album. YES their will be a massive tour.

*My guess is within the next 4-6 weeks or by the end of next month (August, 08). At least Mick and Keith will have gotten together to start the writing process.

I wonder how they will write and record this next album?

Yes....they will get started on it within a relatively short time (it only makes sense).

They will release an album next summer/fall if health issues do not interfere ...(as anyone knows they aren't exactly spring chickens).

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #28 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 7:05am
"Mr. Gorbechev - TEAR OPEN THESE VAULTS!"

"Four score and twenty years ago, we opened the vaults!"

"And on the 7th day, God rested and opened vaults and cracked a stiffY!"

I'l interpret what Universal mean by re-positioning the catalogue. It will be what the Doors have done. Re-master (again!), re-package (again!) and include some little extra goodies here and there. IE: Extra tracks, different versions etc.

The Doors have re-released their catalogue quite a few times. First it was originally when cd came out (and was dreadful!) Then, a few years ago in 24bit-96khz remasters, then only last year with yet another remixes, but this time with extra versions and even film clips! IE: 2-3 versions of Break on through, alternate version of Moonlight mile plus live or original promo clips.

This is just one way for the Stones to go!

How cool would it be to have, for example, Beggar's with a longer version of Sympathy? Maybe even one of the alternate versions. How about LIB with Brian Jones percussion mixed back in?? How about a REAL version of "Ya-ya's" with Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter and the full rambler??? How about Tattoo You with the Reggae version of Start me up?

Forget new music. Who the hell wants it? A killer cd of never heard of songs would be unreal! Heard in all their sonic glory. Remixed and not in crappy mp3. Lots of liner notes and who played what and all sorts of history snippets.

What about everything re-mixed into 5.1?

But what we'll get will probably be just the same old shit re-hashed with a "collectable" sticker or something.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:33am
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 12:13am:
Why the bad rap on EMI? Are you speaking about the quality of their out-put with them or....the down-scale marketing of ABB ...or what? Just curious?

The lack of sales of their last album considering the fact that the Stones spent two years after its release touring to millions of people.

They promoted Mick's solo work very badly as well. They've really gone downhill as a label in recent years, as evidenced by the shredding of so many artists from their label in recent months.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #30 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:45am
EMI could have done better.But that cover was a poor marketing choice.Get the red tongue out front so people browsing might take a peak.ABB was lost on the shelves.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #31 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 10:19am
I do hope there will be more press releases detailing what exactly will come out of this deal.  Somehow I doubt this means the fans will see the opening of the vaults.  Like most people on the board, I'd love to see  them officially release a bunch of this stuff.  I do expect to see new versions of the back catalog, maybe with demos and an unreleased track or two.  To me, that means I'll be downloading these if they're available.  I'm not buying the albums all over again. 

Of course, I've been known to buy stuff even though I say I won't.  Wouldn't mind having another copy of Exile.

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:46pm

GAZZA WROTE:

"The lack of sales of their last album considering the fact that the Stones spent two years after its release touring to millions of people. 

They promoted Mick's solo work very badly as well. They've really gone downhill as a label in recent years, as evidenced by the shredding of so many artists from their label in recent months."

Yeah, your right. EMI didn't do much at all last time out. Now, do you think this is because of advertising dollars they did not want to spend on an album that would most likely only sell between 3-5 million copies (I believe it ended up selling 3 million world wide).  3 million copies may seem like a lot. However, for a real major act it is only considered "fair". For a band with The Stones name it is on the low side (even for them).

*Do you think EMI simply did not want to spend tons on advertising and marketing when ultimately they knew it would not sell like crazy? This is my guess.

also: It will be neat to get a fresh start with a new lable. Now, will The Stones choose a new producer with this next album? My guess is they just "might" (although I think Was has done wonderful with them). They may feel a need to change it up and try a new direction. Not so much musically (but some-what musically) and over all to try a new approach.

They may feel they may be treading old water with Don Was and need something fresh (again, regardless of what happens from here on out I think Don Was did super with them)?

Or they could feel that they have such a good fit with him and they worked so well with him it would be too much a risk to try someone new or simply may not want to?

What is your opinion folks? Not based on what you'd like The Stones to do, but what you think they may do, or what may be in the cards for them next time out recording wise?

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 2:39pm:
Jagger has expressed little interest in exploring their archives. If he doesnt want to do it, then leave it to a group of people who do actually care about the band's history enough to take the time in compiling such a series of releases.

Amen. I agree. It won't happen if Jagger is expected to do anything about it.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 3:12pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 12:13am:

Well I am SURE the Stones will record again, and tour again as all of them state they will.

YES their will be another all new studio album. YES their will be a massive tour.

*My guess is within the next 4-6 weeks or by the end of next month (August, 08). At least Mick and Keith will have gotten together to start the writing process.

I wonder how they will write and record this next album?

Yes....they will get started on it within a relatively short time (it only makes sense).

They will release an album next summer/fall if health issues do not interfere ...(as anyone knows they aren't exactly spring chickens).

Ian

And, all of this, with or without Ronnie? I can't help but wonder how he will figure in all of this....

If he gets out of rehab, and hooks up with the girl again {his DRINKING BUDDY}, I fear it will be "all over now".... Sad

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)