Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oldham - Republished article in Crawdaddy (Read 420 times)
MaineMotels
Ex Member

Oldham - Republished article in Crawdaddy
Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:43am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stone Oldham: Talented, Insulting, Outrageous
by Keith Altham
Originally published in NME, 5 August 1966
http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/Article.aspx?id=8338&page=2&cpage=1

Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham is on the move and as usual with this ubiquitous personality ("the Beach Boys' new single is not dedicated to me") in several directions at once—mostly "up!"

Last Thursday I found an agitated Andrew bouncing about among the packing cases of his outer office in Baker Street, which together with his record company Immediate, were in transit to their more spacious premises in Oxford Street.

A successful move, which is emphasised by the fact that the label has just been two weeks at No. 1 in the NME Chart, courtesy of “Out of Time” and Chris Farlowe.

"That man is so humble," said Andrew. "It's refreshing to find someone who retains an air of humility after being helped."

The Loog was, in fact, in mid-flight while I was talking to him and had to leave for New York in 15 minutes so I was invited to continue our talk in the Rolls on the way to the airport.

"I'm late, of course," said Andrew, heaping together a pile of legal documents appertaining to the action he is taking against Radio Caroline and Queen magazine for including Mick Jagger in an advertisement about the pirate station.

Andrew's next move was to back into one of the tea chests in the office and rip his going-away suit.

"They shouldn't leave these packing cases about," snarled Andrew and made his personal bid for World Cup glory by punting the offending box about the office.

His pretty telephonist whitened under the accompanying oaths but stood firm until Andrew's partner Tony Calder and chauffeur Eddy arrived to take him away.

In the Rolls, Andrew became more business-like.

"I'm going to New York and then chartering a private plane to Hollywood. Allen Klein and I are negotiating an outlet for Immediate Records in the US and we also have to discuss plans for the Rolling Stones' film.

"Most of the shooting will be done on location—I hope in Britain but it depends on the weather. You won't get me out if it's raining!

"There is no question of a screen test. The film we shot in Ireland was their screen test—that showed how they shaped up in front of camera and it has been selected as an entry for the Mannheim Film Festival in Germany in a few weeks time."

Is there any chance that any of the Stones' girls will appear in the film?

"None," laughed Andrew, "I've been all through that." He added, "I'm making another film for them called The Beverley Sisters Story, featuring Chrissie Shrimpton, Linda Keith, and Anita."

The Stones go into the recording studio this Sunday to cut about 20 numbers. Is there any possibility that the next single will be anything but a Keith Richards-Mick Jagger composition?

"We have tracks like 'My Girl' and 'I've Been Loving You too Long' already in the can but what point is there in releasing these when Mick and Keith write more suitable material for the group?

"There are just no composers who can write for the Stones now in their style. Even good composers like Mitch Murray can't seem to hit our style—he came up with one the other day about 'chuff chuff' or something."

We stopped at Andrew's Fulham residence for him to pick up an un-ripped suit and case. He is moving shortly to the more salubrious area of Highgate and into a mansion built by Oliver Cromwell's brother.

Interesting

There are a number of interesting features in his present home. In the living room, on a high shelf, are a bevy of stuffed hummingbirds encased in a glass dome. On the floor, a chair carved in the shape of a peacock, and a leather baby rhinoceros in the hearth.

The walls are brown, the sofa yellow, and the settee orange. On the walls hang a white china theatrical mask, a nude painting, and a wooden shield emblazoned with the word "Top."

"That," said Andrews, indicating a large, empty bird cage in the kitchen, "was Conway Twitty!" Conway was a yellow canary gifted to Andrew by Marianne Faithfull which had since flown the coop. The ginger tomcat next door remains under close suspicion.

It was arranged that I should hear the next Twice as Much single while waiting and so from the player blasted “Step out of Line”—their own composition, released on August 9th. Harpsichords, guitars, and bells; all produced by Mr. Oldham to big ballad effect.

Back in the cavernous interior of the Rolls-Royce, Andrew talked of the potential of his new recording duo. Does he see them as a potential two-man Rolling Stones?

"I would say they had the same kind of mass appeal as Cliff Richard," said Andrew.

"Worldwide," contributed Tony Calder.

"Universal simplicity," trumped Andrew.

What of his other interests? Were the recording plans for the Who going ahead?

"These are still being negotiated," said Andrew, "There are a lot of egos involved and it depends on something which depends on something else, if you see what I mean."

Is Marianne still a prospective interest for management?

"Marianne is nothing to do with me now," said Andrew. "I have decided not to take over as her manager because I need full control and there are too many people still with vested interest and her talents are not diversified enough anyway. I think I put that very nicely."

"Very nicely," agreed Mr. Calder.

Whatever happened to Nico, another female discovery in Andrew's agency?

"Ah yes, I'm glad I was right about Nico," said Andrew. "She's working for a group called the Underground Movement for about $11,000 for eight days in clubs like Hollywood's Trip.”

Having pressed a button to talk to Eddy to inform him to take the torn suit to Lord Johns for an invisible repair, Andrew took up a NME.

"I think the cover with Billy Fury on it is divine," he said, "and I love the bit about Mike Leander's backing. Billy was a raver before anyone knew what the word meant.

"The adverts for Jonathan King's disc are very clever," he commented. "I like his new ethnic ‘Everyone's Gone to the Moon (Just Like a Woman).’

"Jonathan and I get on very well together—I think it must be because we both went to public school or something. I'm not going to sue him now.

"Scott Walker must now be the Joan Crawford of the pop world," declared Andrew, noting their new chart position. "He's got this drama bit going so well for him that he must get a film contract.”

Ridiculous

"All these reports from the US about the Stones only playing to 11,000 in New York are ridiculous—anyone would think that was bad.

"The date was a weekend booking with temperature in the 90s. It was equivalent to playing in Piccadilly Circus on a bank holiday and 11,000 for that ain't bad."

Andrew Oldham is egotistical, talented, insulting, outrageous, and likeable almost in spite of himself. He manages the world's number two group, owns his own record company, produces discs, writes songs, sleeve notes, and poetry, and publishes the Beach Boys' music in Britain.

In the hip vocabulary of pop music they say he is "happening."

Perhaps Mama Cass stressed what is the most overlooked and often unconsidered feature in Oldham's success when she incredulously repeated to me over and over again during a recent interview:

"And he's only 22—can you imagine what he'll be doing at 30?"
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:37am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Re: Oldham - Republished article in Crawdaddy
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:19pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I surmise that by "a group called the Underground Movement" who were working with Nico that he is referring to the Velvet Underground.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)