Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Would the Stones fire Ronnie Wood? (Read 3,436 times)
Poison Dart
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Would the Stones fire Ronnie Wood?
Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Don't get me wrong I am not one of those bring back Mick Taylor people and I want nothing more than to see Ronnie Would get healthy and continue for many more years with the Rolling Stones.

That said. Is it possible or even likely that the Stones would fire Wood and bring in another guitar player at this late date?

My gut tells me that Jagger will not continue to go down this road with Wood.  If it's time tour tour again (nothing will get in the way of another large pay day for Mick) in late 2009 and Wood isn't ready to roll I wouldn't put it past the Stones + especially Mick to say enough is enough and move on with another guitar player.

I have heard various reports over the years that Jagger has not been thrilled with Wood's antics. If the stories are to be believed, Jagger has read Wood the riot act in the past. Is it possible that this could be the straw that breaks Wood's back with the Stones?

If so what direction (if any) would the Stones go in if they were to part ways with Wood?

Hopefully I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

Woody if you are out there, get some help before it's too late. You have many  people pulling for you.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Re: Would the Stones fire Ronnie Wood?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:26pm
i highly doubt it...even at this state of condition.  he is here until the end....until the bitter end.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:28pm
I think they could get away with it quite honestly. They'd have to pick someone  who is very well-respected and popular with the Stones crowd. Someone like Clapton, Jeff Beck, or Mick Taylor. I might get flamed for this but I think Ted Nugent would work well with the Stones as well. He's hugely influenced by Chuck Berry, can play both lead and rhythm very well, and has great stage presence. Plus, he's sober.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:31pm
Holden wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:28pm:
I think Ted Nugent would work well with the Stones as well.

Stray Cat Scratch Fever!

Shooting flaming arrows at Blondie!!

Charlie in a loincloth!!!

Shit!

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:40pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:33pm
As long as the tour does not conflict with deer season.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Sorry, but you are banished from initiating a new thread for a week.
Another D for effort.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:42pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
Holden wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:28pm:
I think Ted Nugent would work well with the Stones as well.

Stray Cat Scratch Fever!

Shooting flaming arrows at Blondie!!

Charlie in a loincloth!!!

Shit!

DING!  DING! DING!

or is it

BONG! BONG! BONG!

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:43pm

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:46pm
Too bad Rory Gallagher's no more. He'd be perfect for the job

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:56pm
they cant fire him if he implodes first.....

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:29pm
Biggest problem is that he was promoted to full time partner of Stones Inc. (or whatever the legal entity is called) so they can't really fire him, they could still get another guitar player of course. I don't think they'd get someone too "flashy", so my vote goes to Andrew Fairweather-Low, a sideman with talent, as I saw with my own eyes a couple of days ago in a small London club !

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 9:10pm
If Ronnie survives this latest relapse into the booze but is still too untogether to tour and/or record by a certain as yet unknown future cut off date, then The Stones will face two choices.... either no new tour and megbucks, or tour without Ron using a 'standin' until either Ron recovers sufficiently or, considering the other possibility, Ron has to be permanently replaced due to either irreversible incapacity or death.

Mick still has career ambitions for the band and I don't think he is ready to quit just yet.

Much of 'A Bigger Bang' was recorded just with Mick, Keith and Charlie. 'Bridges To Babylon' had Waddy Watchel playing guitar on almost every song. I think creatively The Stones would continue on without Ron just fine. The loss of first Brian and then Mick Taylor, and later on Bill were all far bigger blows than would be the loss of Ronnie, yet they have continued to roll on just nicely.

There are probably numerous potential candidates to fill Ron's shoes. Even Sid McGinnis from the Letterman Band could fit the bill.... dude plays all the classic licks and styles, looks ok, is sober and reliable......

The biggest consideration for Mick would be the image problems associated with replacing Ron... how it would be perceived by both the fans and the general public.

Sad but true.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 9:19pm
fireontheplatterwrote: i highly doubt it...even at this state of condition.  he is here until the end....until the bitter end.

Your right. This is the line-up. Mick isn't going to think about another guitarist, or another anything.

This has long since been the line-up.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Wow!
Mick Taylor!!
But they would never fire Woodie.  This is part of the Stones bad boy image.  He's got a long way before he catches up with Kieth.  :funny

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 9:43pm
Don't put it past them. When Charlie was sick during the recording of ABB and Keith was asked if they would of toured without him. He didn't say no. If it meant one more big tour and (God forbid) Ronnie wasn't up to it. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him replaced. No nit by Mick Taylor and certainly not by Ted Nugent or George Thorogood. WTF are you people thinking? They wouldn't do it and Mick & Keith wouldn't want somebody that high profile.  Andy Fairweather - Low or Snowy White. Some non-descrpit lifelong sideman who can play ably but fade into the background when necessary. But of course we all hope Ronny pulls his head out of the bottle and gets his shit straight.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:57am
They're too far across the road to even consider giving up a band member now. I think Ronnie will recover and they'll be touring next year (see, happy thoughts!  Cool ) and want to believe that they wouldn't consider firing him. (Hell, it's not like they have strong feelings against alcoholism, well...)

They're a gang. They've been together for decades. I refuse to think they'd pull the rug under his feet. It would really put me off the Stones.

(And YES, I do live in a parallel universe where the Stones are kind hearted people who would never leave a weaker member behind to go on with their career... No way baby  Cheesy )

By the way, is there something wrong with the "Ronnie Update" thread? Can't seem to be able to open it.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 5:35am
surely Keith and his missus and family are very close to Ronnie, Jo and their family

this could get ugly

I can see Keith giving Ronnie a massive wedgie * maybe even an atomic

hell he might even get out his gun

* wedgie
is having one's underwear or other garments "wedged" between the buttocks. This can occur naturally, due to tight garments or physical activity; this is referred to as the underwear "riding up". It can also be performed as a prank or as a form of bullying; this is referred to as "giving (a person) a wedgie"

The atomic wedgie entails hoisting the rear waistband of the receiver's underwear up and over their head. When executed from the front, this procedure is known as the atomic melvin. Besides the nutblaster wedgie, the atomic melvin is the most painful type of wedgie for men.

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:31am
Poison Dart wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:21pm:
Don't get me wrong I am not one of those bring back Mick Taylor people and I want nothing more than to see Ronnie Would get healthy and continue for many more years with the Rolling Stones.

That said. Is it possible or even likely that the Stones would fire Wood and bring in another guitar player at this late date?

My gut tells me that Jagger will not continue to go down this road with Wood.  If it's time tour tour again (nothing will get in the way of another large pay day for Mick) in late 2009 and Wood isn't ready to roll I wouldn't put it past the Stones + especially Mick to say enough is enough and move on with another guitar player.

I have heard various reports over the years that Jagger has not been thrilled with Wood's antics. If the stories are to be believed, Jagger has read Wood the riot act in the past. Is it possible that this could be the straw that breaks Wood's back with the Stones?

If so what direction (if any) would the Stones go in if they were to part ways with Wood?

Hopefully I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

Woody if you are out there, get some help before it's too late. You have many  people pulling for you.

It's all in the timing.

If one of the band members died at a time when the band were inactive (eg, like they are now), I think they'd simply disband. They're in uncharted waters as far as bands go at this stage, they surely know they dont have a long shell life left and that would be the best excuse there is for stopping.

However, if anything were to happen to Ronnie AFTER they'd signed contracts for a tour and had set the wheels in motion to put it together, I honestly think they'd go on without him, unfortunately. Not with a permanent replacement of course, though.

they wouldnt fire him for his antics - but they may replace him if he's in a condition where when its past the 'cut off date' (as stones67 describes it) when he has to be ready for a tour, he's incapacitated.

I was pretty horrified when I read that 'volte-face' quote from Keith a couple of years ago where he basically said 9for the first time) they could continue without Charlie or Ronnie, but when it comes down to it, I dont think they'd continue without Charlie

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:37am
Gazza wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:31am:
I was pretty horrified when I read that 'volte-face' quote from Keith a couple of years ago where he basically said 9for the first time) they could continue without Charlie or Ronnie, but when it comes down to it, I dont think they'd continue without Charlie

Perhaps it's a matter of elective memory, but I have no recollection of that quote whatsoever!!!  Huh
Had he really said that? Going on without Charlie for Christ's sakes?

After all this time, I even feel uneasy with Woody STILL considered by many as the "new" guy or not a 100% Stones member, as he really is, but Charlie?! For the love of God...!

I love the Stones so much and I don't want them to EVER stop, but if it ever came to 'replacing' any of the 4 of them, be it during an inactive period or while on tour, baby, it would all be over.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:42am
FotiniD wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:37am:
Gazza wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:31am:

Perhaps it's a matter of elective memory, but I have no recollection of that quote whatsoever!!!  Huh
Had he really said that? Going on without Charlie for Christ's sakes?

After all this time, I even feel uneasy with Woody STILL considered by many as the "new" guy or not a 100% Stones member, as he really is, but Charlie?! For the love of God...!

I love the Stones so much and I don't want them to EVER stop, but if it ever came to 'replacing' any of the 4 of them, be it during an inactive period or while on tour, baby, it would all be over.

It was just after ABB came out. The interview was in one of the UK magazines - either Uncut or Mojo. Couldnt believe what I was reading, myself.

Agree with what you say 100%. I'd honestly have zero interest in seeing the Stones of there was a personnel change at this stage.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 9:08am
Interesting points.

Historically, we know from Brian that you can indeed be fired from the Stones for, in essence, Stonesing While Intoxicated (SWI).  Keith nearly went to prison for SWI and since then has gotten better at keeping it together.  Stay tuned on that one too tho!

Mick can hardly get on Ronnie for womanizing.
Pot/Kettle thing.
But he can sure say "hey look, clean yourself up by this date or you are out" -- probably has said it before.

What do you figure life insurance for a Stones guitarist costs???

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 9:31am
Joey wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 9:23am:
Am I the only one Happy for Ronnie ?!

He may have found  ' true love ' .

We should be celebrating .....

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

J " Snuggles " Fly ! ™

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 11:34am
FotiniD wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:57am:
(And YES, I do live in a parallel universe where the Stones are kind hearted people who would never leave a weaker member behind to go on with their career... No way baby  Cheesy )

Well, that certainly wasn't the case with Brian.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 12:39pm
NO....is that direct enough of an answer?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mr Jurkka
Rocks Off Regular

You got it!

Finland
Reply #24 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 12:50pm
If they would get rid of Ron.. think about it. It would take piece of their shows.. Ronnie has lots of humour on his stage presence. Keith and Ronnie are together perfect on stage.. they have great chemistry!

Now borrowing words of Richards  " When we play alone were crap but when together were pure gold "

I saw in one interview when ronnie was talking about Clapton that Clapton could easily have been replacement for Taylor. Ronnie answered " You gotta be able to live with these guys " 
   will ya 2

Take it from me.. Im the riffmaster.&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)