Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 
Send Topic Print
Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d (Read 512,951 times)
CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Re: Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d
Reply #2175 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2176 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 1:47pm
Bob Dylan Sells His Songwriting Catalog in Blockbuster Deal

Universal Music purchased his entire songwriting catalog of more than 600 songs in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of a single act’s publishing rights.

Bob Dylan’s memoir “Chronicles: Volume One” opens in 1962 with the signing of his first music publishing deal — a contract for the copyrights of the budding songwriter’s work. The terms of that agreement, brokered by Lou Levy of Leeds Music Publishing, met young Dylan’s approval.

“Lou had advanced me a hundred dollars against future royalties to sign the paper,” he wrote, “and that was fine with me.”

Fifty-eight years, more than 600 songs and one Nobel Prize later, the cultural and economic value of Dylan’s songwriting corpus have both grown exponentially.

On Monday, the Universal Music Publishing Group announced that it had signed a landmark deal to purchase Dylan’s entire songwriting catalog — including world-changing classics like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “Like a Rolling Stone” — in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of the music publishing rights of a single songwriter.

The deal, which covers Dylan’s entire career, from his earliest tunes to his latest album, “Rough and Rowdy Ways,” was struck directly with Dylan, 79, who has long controlled the vast majority of his own songwriting copyrights.

The price was not disclosed, but is estimated at more than $300 million.

“It’s no secret that the art of songwriting is the fundamental key to all great music, nor is it a secret that Bob is one of the very greatest practitioners of that art,” Lucian Grainge, the chief executive of the Universal Music Group, said in a statement.

The deal is the latest and most high-profile in this year’s buzzing market for music catalogs, as artists both young and old have sold their songs, while publishers and investors have raised billions of dollars from both public and private sources to persuade writers to part with their creations.

Last week, Stevie Nicks sold a majority stake in her songwriting catalog for an estimated $80 million to Primary Wave Music, an independent publisher and marketing company. Hipgnosis Songs Fund, a British company that has made a rapid run in the market in just two and a half years, recently disclosed that it had spent about $670 million from March to September acquiring rights in more than 44,000 songs by Blondie, Rick James, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders and others.

Dylan’s catalog, though, is a special gem, revered in a way that perhaps no other popular musician has achieved. His trove of songs have reshaped folk, rock and pop, and he maintains an almost mythic status as the bard of the current age. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016 “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.”

Yet to a degree that still surprises and shocks his audience, Dylan has long been aggressive about marketing his music, including pursuing licensing deals to place his songs in television commercials.

In 1994, Dylan let the accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand — predecessor of the current giant PricewaterhouseCoopers — use Richie Havens’s rendition of his 1964 protest anthem “The Times They Are A-Changin’” in a TV spot. Fans, media commentators and even other artists reacted in horror; Time magazine wrote about the controversy with the headline “Just in Case You Hadn’t Heard — The ’60s Are Over.”

The Coopers & Lybrand spot was far from Dylan’s last commercial license: He did a prominent deal for a Victoria’s Secret TV spot in 2004, and later worked with Apple, Cadillac, Pepsi and IBM. Two years ago, he launched a high-end whiskey brand, Heaven’s Door.

Since Universal now controls his work, Dylan will no longer have veto power over how his songs will be used. After the deal was announced early Monday, users on Twitter had a field day with corny puns suggesting how Dylan’s work could be exploited. “Pay Lady Pay,” one user quipped. “Tangled Up in Blue Cross/Blue Shield,” wrote another.

Still, Universal insisted it would be tasteful in its use of Dylan’s work.

Jody Gerson, the chief executive of Universal’s publishing division, said, “To represent the body of work of one of the greatest songwriters of all time — whose cultural importance can’t be overstated — is both a privilege and a responsibility.”

Dylan is the kind of writer whose work music publishers tend to salivate over. Not only has it stood the test of time, but most of his songs were written by Dylan alone and have been frequently covered by other artists — with each use generating royalties. According to Universal, Dylan’s songs have been recorded more than 6,000 times.

Music publishing is the side of the business that deals in the copyrights for songwriting and composition — the lyrics and melodies of songs, in their most fundamental form — which are distinct from those for a recording. Publishers and writers collect royalties and licensing fees any time their work is sold, streamed, broadcast on the radio or used in a movie or commercial. (The recent sale of Taylor Swift’s first six albums covered only that material’s recording rights. Swift signed a separate publishing deal with Universal in February.)

Streaming has helped lift the entire music market — publishers in the United States collected $3.7 billion in 2019, according to the National Music Publishers’ Association — which has drawn new investors attracted to the steady and growing income generated by music rights.

Dylan’s deal includes 100 percent of his rights for all the songs of his catalog, including both the income he receives as a songwriter and his control of each song’s copyright. In exchange for its payment to Dylan, Universal, a division of the French media conglomerate Vivendi, will collect all future income from the songs.

Dylan had no comment on the deal.

Music publishing has been a little-known cornerstone of much of Dylan’s career. The songs he recorded with the Band in 1967, for example, which were widely bootlegged at the time and later collected in Dylan’s 1975 album “The Basement Tapes,” were intended as demos to be shopped to other recording artists.

And much of Dylan’s business empire is operated through the Bob Dylan Music Company, a small office in New York that administers his publishing rights in the United States. (Elsewhere around the world, his catalog has been administered by Sony/ATV, which will continue to do so until the expiration of its contract in a few years.)

The deal includes more than 600 songs spread across a number of publishing companies that Dylan has had over the years. With the exception of his original Leeds Music deal — which included seven songs, among them “Song for Woody” and “Talkin’ New York” — Dylan eventually took full control of all his copyrights from those catalogs; Leeds was sold in 1964 to MCA, which became Universal.

The Universal deal also includes Dylan’s shares in a number of songs he has written with other songwriters, although of the more than 600 titles included in the deal, there is only one in which Dylan is not a writer, but still owns the copyright: Robbie Robertson’s “The Weight,” as recorded by the Band.

But the agreement does not include any of Dylan’s unreleased songs. It also doesn’t cover any work Dylan writes in the future, leaving open the possibility that he could choose to work with another publisher for that material.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/arts/music/bob-dylan-universal-music.html

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2177 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 6:59pm
Eighty years old take the money and enjoy it

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2178 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Rolling Stone article about the same with video

What Bob Dylan Selling His Music Catalog Does and Doesn’t Mean

Universal Music Publishing Group is getting control of Dylan’s songwriter income — but it doesn’t take over recording rights or future songs

By SIMON VOZICK-LEVINSON

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/bob-dylan-catalog-sale-takeaways-1099117/

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2179 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 5:58pm
Gypsy Lou Webb, French Quarter bohemian who published Bukowski, inspired Dylan song, dies at 104

With husband, published magazine work of Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, Lawrence Ferlinghetti

By John Pope

https://www.nola.com/news/article_17017ab2-4560-11eb-9ec9-bb6a2c6684af.html

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2180 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:14pm
58 years ago today... performing at The Troubadour in London during his first visit to Europe, December 29, 1962...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2181 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:48pm
This Monday Julia Palacios, a good friend who has invited me to more than 70 radio programs to talk about rock in general, is making a “Dylathon” a radio program (webradio too) about Dylan, to celebrate his 80th birthday!

When she invited me, I declined, I told her that after so many years reading and occasionally posting at “Expecting Rain”, I concluded that I ain’t an expert, and I’m not, she said thanks anyway… today she returned and told me “Gerardo… did you see the flier from the Radio Station? You’re in!!!” LOL well, I think that was a good answer “I ain’t an expert”, I hate those who say they are experts and can’t answer simple questions, so I’m in to talk about “Dylan’s influences” (Rolling Stones)

So you’re invited my friends, here is the program, you can listen at 90.9 FM Ciudad de México, or on the net at https://ibero909.fm/playlist-9091; as you know, this is a radio station at a University, it’s not a rock station, but universal… just in case you click the link to find out something completely different.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2182 - May 20th, 2021 at 6:39pm
Another Dylathon for Dylan, this in Germany, so for the time difference you can have a 19 hour marathon

Cee this one here https://www.radioeins.de/musik/aktion/-bob-dylan-radioday-.html

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2183 - May 24th, 2021 at 2:48pm

Happy birthday Bobby
   Grin Grin

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2184 - May 24th, 2021 at 3:19pm
My favourite Dylan song – by Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithfull, Tom Jones, Judy Collins and more

Bob Dylan is 80 today. But what’s his greatest song? Stars pick their favourite – and recall their own encounters, from Marianne Faithfull turning him down to Judy Collins whacking a policeman to get backstage

Full article :

Stones related extracts below :

Mick Jagger :

Desolation Row (1965)

I was playing Bob Dylan records at my parents’ house when he was still an acoustic folk singer, but he was already very important and his lyrics were on point. The delivery isn’t just the words, it’s the accentuation and the moods and twists he puts on them. His greatness lies in the body of work. I was at a session for Blood on the Tracks [1975] and really enjoyed watching him record Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts, with this incredible depth of storyline, surrounded by all these boring people from the record company who he had sitting in the control room. I couldn’t record like that.

Desolation Row’s lyrics are just so interesting and diverse. It isn’t a real street so you create your own fantasy. I imagine an unforgiving place, somewhere you don’t want to spend much time, peopled with strange characters. The opening line about the “postcards of the hanging” sets the tone, but then this awful event is juxtaposed with “the beauty parlour filled with sailors” and all these circus people. The lines “The agents and the superhuman crew / Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do / Then they bring them to the factory where the heart-attack machine is strapped across their shoulders” are scary and apocalyptic, viciously delivered.

My reading is that that’s about governmental, military control, but then there’s the payoff: “When you asked me how I was doing, was that some kind of joke? Don’t send me no more letters unless you mail them from Desolation Row.” That sounds like a really personal thing. Musically, he prettifies it. I love the lovely half-Spanish guitar lines from the session guitarist, Charlie McCoy. It’s actually a really lovely song, which shouldn’t work with the imagery but does. You can listen to it all the time and still get something wonderful and new from it.

Marianne Faithfull
It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (1966)
(sic, it's actually 1965 - Gazza)

I first met Bob at the Savoy in 1965. There’s a clip of me and Joan Baez singing As Tears Go By in the hotel room while Bob is hammering away on a typewriter. Later when I turned him down, he told me that it had been a poem about me, but he’d torn it up. I was so upset, but we got over that and have been friends for 56 years. I really like him.

I think It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue is about those times in life where you just have to say, “OK, we tried, it didn’t work”, but it’s a much sleeker way of saying it. It’s very loving, but obviously it’s all over. I don’t really know why I love it so much, but I’ve been in many situations where I would have liked to have time stop and have a band playing and sing that song to people. I’ve recorded it twice. The second time, I’d had more experiences and really felt it. I love the way his songs change octaves. I’m suffering long Covid and my voice is cracked, but I’m trying to recover it by singing It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2021 at 3:20pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2185 - May 25th, 2021 at 12:28pm
Happy birthday Bob!
The "True Confessions Tour", Madison Square Garde, NYC - July 17, 1986 ©  Gary Gershoff

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2186 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:27pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 25th, 2021 at 12:28pm:
Happy birthday Bob!
The "True Confessions Tour", Madison Square Garde, NYC - July 17, 1986 ©  Gary Gershoff

I went to two of the three nights of this run I think maybe it was all three. Remember woody being sloshed. Maybe the best Dylan I saw that summer outside of the songs he performed with the dead. Thirty five years! Where did the time go?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2187 - May 25th, 2021 at 8:11pm
Woody played all three nights (15-17 July), sitting in for 8 of the last 9 songs each show (omitting 'In The Garden' each time for some reason)

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN07990%20-%201986%20US%20Summer%20Tour.htm#DSN08260

Very good set of shows that summer from Bob & The Heartbreakers with some very unusual song choices (especially the cover versions). There are some excellent soundboards and broadcast recordings from that tour.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2188 - Jun 5th, 2021 at 8:14pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 19th, 2021 at 4:48pm:
This Monday Julia Palacios, a good friend who has invited me to more than 70 radio programs to talk about rock in general, is making a “Dylathon” a radio program (webradio too) about Dylan, to celebrate his 80th birthday!

When she invited me, I declined, I told her that after so many years reading and occasionally posting at “Expecting Rain”, I concluded that I ain’t an expert, and I’m not, she said thanks anyway… today she returned and told me “Gerardo… did you see the flier from the Radio Station? You’re in!!!” LOL well, I think that was a good answer “I ain’t an expert”, I hate those who say they are experts and can’t answer simple questions, so I’m in to talk about “Dylan’s influences” (Rolling Stones)

So you’re invited my friends, here is the program, you can listen at 90.9 FM Ciudad de México, or on the net at https://ibero909.fm/playlist-9091; as you know, this is a radio station at a University, it’s not a rock station, but universal… just in case you click the link to find out something completely different.

Here the program http://www.rocksoff.org/headers2021/j1-dylanton2021.mp3 enjoy LOL

Thanks Gazza!!!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2189 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:07pm
Bob Dylan Lawsuit: Dylanologists, Accuser’s Lawyer Spar Over 1965 Whereabouts

“It is almost impossible to find one week – let alone six – that spring when Dylan could have been staying at the Chelsea Hotel,” says one Dylan expert. “The claims were vetted…and we did our research,” counters the accuser’s attorney

By ANDY GREENE

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-lawsuit-1214347/

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2190 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:12pm
Utter laughable garbage. One of the most exhaustively documented periods of his career - in print, in audio and on film and a claim that could be researched and dismissed as impossible in about five minutes by anyone, let alone someone who knows anything about Dylan's career who wouldnt even have to use the internet to check it out.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2191 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 7:48pm
One for the Mick Taylor fans out there. A newly restored video directed by the Mayles Brothers (of ‘Gimme Shelter’ fame) to promote the new Bob Dylan boxed set ‘Springtime in New York’, which is released tomorrow.

The youtube link below directs to the full video

Check out never-before-seen footage of Bob Dylan’s recording session for “Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight” at the Power Station in New York.

Initially filmed by the Maysles Brothers in 1983, this newly restored video is being released in conjunction with ‘Springtime In New York’, the next installment in the Bootleg Series, out September 17. Also featured on the track are Mark Knopfler, Mick Taylor, Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare and Alan Clark.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2192 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 12:54pm
God, Mick Taylor is such an amazing player. People seem to ignore what an amazing slide player he was. His playing is so lyrical that it almost sounds like a backing vocal on this song. And the interplay with Mark Knopfler is just magic.

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2193 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:18am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Sep 16th, 2021 at 7:48pm:

Check out never-before-seen footage of Bob Dylan’s recording session for “Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight” at the Power Station in New York.

Initially filmed by the Maysles Brothers in 1983, this newly restored video is being released in conjunction with ‘Springtime In New York’, the next installment in the Bootleg Series, out September 17. Also featured on the track are Mark Knopfler, Mick Taylor, Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare and Alan Clark.

More:

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2194 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:52pm
Thanks Rev! I watched it the other day when you posted it, now I watched again, love it!

"Man thinks 'cause he rules the Earth, he can do with it as he please
And if things don't change soon, he will
Man has invented his doom"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2195 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 2:13pm
Back on the road last night in Milwaukee with a completely new setlist, some new band members and a staggering EIGHT songs from his latest album :

Only 3 songs from the 60's and 3 from the 70's. And pretty much a warhorse-free set.

Riverside Theatre
November 2, 2021

1. Watching The River Flow
(Bob on piano, Donnie on Lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
2. Most Likely You Go Your Way (and I'll Go Mine)
(Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
3. I Contain Multitudes
(Bob center stage then on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
4. False Prophet (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)
5. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
6. My Own Version Of You
(Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
7. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
(Bob center stage then on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
8. Black Rider
(Bob center stage then on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
9. Melancholy Mood (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
10. Mother Of Muses (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
11. Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)
12. Key West (Philosopher Pirate)
(Bob center stage then on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
13. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
14. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
15. I've Made Up My Mind To Give Myself To You
(Bob center stage then on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
16. Goodbye Jimmy Reed (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
-- Band introduction

(encore)
17. Love Sick (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
18. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
(Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2196 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 3:00pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 3rd, 2021 at 2:13pm:
And pretty much a warhorse-free set

But the few warhorses played are some of my favourites, great setlist

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2197 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 6:05pm
I wouldnt even call those 'warhorses'. Classics, yes, but they're not exactly songs that he's played year-in year-out. The obvious ones would be stuff like LARS, Blowin' In the Wind. Watchtower, Maggie's Farm.

Imagine going to a Stones show, for example, and the most well-known songs played are 'Beast of Burden' 'Live with me' and 'Worried about you'

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2198 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 6:06pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2199 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 2:51pm
Deep Purple to release a new album of covers with “Watching the River Flow”

Tracklist:

1. “7 and 7 Is” (Love)
2. “Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu” (Huey "Piano" Smith)
3. “Oh Well” (Fleetwood Mac)
4. “Jenny Take A Ride!” (Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels)
5. “Watching the River Flow” (Bob Dylan)
6. “Let the Good Times Roll” (Ray Charles & Quincy Jones)
7. “Dixie Chicken” (Little Feat)
8. “Shapes of Things” (Yardbirds)
9. “The Battle of New Orleans” (Lonnie Donegan/Johnny Horton)
10. “Lucifer” (Bob Seger System)
11. “White Room” (Cream)
12. “Caught in the Act” (Medley: "Going Down" /"Green Onions" / "Hot ‘Lanta" /"Dazed and Confused" / "Gimme Some Lovin’" )

A great video from the cover of Peter Green's "Oh Well" here and from this the image above about Bob Dylan

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2021 at 2:53pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)