Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts About Shine A Light (Read 9,923 times)
CousinC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Thoughts About Shine A Light
Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
[quote author=CousinC link=1208373317/15#23 date=1208621167]

In the end it was a bit long. But to me that's the same with their gigs these days. When the warhorses come I get bored most of the time.  

Nevertheless I'm already waiting for the DVD with hopefully good bonus stuff.

LOL.  That is a Stones fan statement if I have ever heard it - there was too much of it but I am looking forward to more.   Wink

LOL Well, it's not that much of a contradiction to me.

These days when I go to a Stones gig I'm mostly looking forward to song 3 to 9.
That's the most interesting part of their show for me now with still a little surprise now and than.
Same with a DVD. I'm mostly going for the rarities, etc. . .

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #26 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:39pm
Just seen it!

Beautifully filmed and a good sound.

Keith wasn't as bad as I'd expected with some great playing;

JJF
SHATTERED
ALL DOWN THE LINE
IMAGINATION
TD
SMU
BS

are all top versions IMHO,with only Connection and Sympathy been below par.

I'd like to see more rehearsals (hopefully on the dvd !)

Biggest annoyance by far were the hired in models at the front . They weren't even looking at the stage half the time and I'm sure I saw one texting as Mick danced past..........NO ,it won't have been the set list !

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:40pm
why so many blank posts ?

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:51pm
cabledogg2 wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:55am:
Just My Imagination.
- To me, this is one of the highlights. The version is as good as the magic Hampton 1981 version, though different.

'different', as in sloppy...but actually in an appealing way

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Where is Gazza with his impressions of SAL?
:question

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #30 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:07pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 6:15pm:

Yeah, whats up with that?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:40am

I is here! Sorry - busy couple of days.

I thought it was pretty good. Not as sensational as some made it out to be. I'd heard the CD and thought it was mostly so-so, so my expectations weren't THAT high for the film, but it was better than I thought.

Very nicely filmed, amusing in parts with the Stones' magnetism and charisma shining through in bucketloads. The models, while their sheer presence was annoying,  didnt detract from the enjoyment of the film as much as I thought they would because the Stones were generally in shot at the same time, but they still shouldnt have been there. It goes against the point of a documentary to begin with, and obviously watching the film I hate them for FIVE reasons - 1) they're young and attractive  2) they got into the Beacon and I didnt  3) they got into the front row of a Stones theatre show, 4) they got paid for doing so and 5) they acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. What the fuck is it with all those cellphones? Jesus. You can expect that in a stadium when youre 60 yards away and interest in whats going on on the stage flags occasionally, but when you're in a theatre and Mick Jagger emerges from a side door at the start of 'Sympathy for the Devil' ?
As straycatuk says, they werent sending in the setlists. More like they were texting their dads asking "whats the name of that song that starts with something about 'a crossfire hurricane' or "Theyre playing "Hope you guess my name!". Arseclags.

Musically it was a bit patchy. However, in many ways its to Scorsese and the Stones' credit that the music seems to be overdub-free.Unheard of for a Stones CD or film and also for pretty much all concert movies in this day and age. When this collaboration was announced I feared it would be exactly the opposite so kudos for keeping it "live" as much as possible on this occasion, warts and all.  Remember that the 2nd Beacon show eventually took place on a day which had been originally set aside for post-production/overdubs/reshoots etc. Most special moments for me included 'As Tears go By' which provided a bit of a lump in the throat (although I stopped short of the flood that greeted it when I saw them play it at Madison Square Garden) and 'Connection', which I really liked, even though it was intercut with the interview footage. 'Just My Imagination' was pretty good too. I actualy liked "Sympathy" although many seem to have given it a pasting, "Tumbling Dice" was good also and although I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing it in the vast enormodomes the Stones persist in playing in, I thought "Satisfaction" was quite enjoyable.

Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys). Of the other two guest appearances, I dont think "Loving Cup" was a good choice for Jack White's voice - either that or his voice and Mick's just dont mesh together. Christina was quite good, surprisingly. I dont care for her music, but she has a good voice and although (again) I'm not sure it was a great choice of song, she has good stage presence and worked well with Mick. Either way it was a great improvement on the abortion Sheryl Crow made of the same song at that Miami PPV show in 1994 (although Sheryl' s normally quite good with the Stones). The only song I thought that was absolute pants was Far Away Eyes. Yeah, the shot of Mick and Keith briefly sharing the same mic for the first time since 1776 or whatever it was was sweet, but Mick's recitation (which OK, I know is tongue in cheek on the original and therefore a bit hard to deliver in concert) was so passionless it sounded like he was reading the back of a cornflakes packet and reciting the ingredients.

There was a bit to much of that MTV- like 100 mph cutaway camera shots for my liking. I much preferred the all too rare lingering shots. There was a great one of Buddy Guy after he'd sung his first verse and he's just staring/glaring across the stage and the camera just lingers on him for about ten seconds. It seemed like an hour because its so rare to get a good tracking shot like that in a concert film these days.  I also found it a bit strange that with 18 or 19 cameras in a 2,800 seater theatre that so MUCH of the camerawork was focussed on Mick.Some of the close ups were incredible. Theres a great one of Keith near the end where it zooms in from just behind his face and you can see the veins pumping in his head and arms as he's belting out the final part of (I think) Brown Sugar. Incredible.

Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over.

They're here until the ride stops and, for all their faults, so are we.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:45am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:06am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:40am:

I is here! Sorry - busy couple of days.

I thought it was pretty good. Not as sensational as some made it out to be. I'd heard the CD and thought it was mostly so-so, so my expectations weren't THAT high for the film, but it was better than I thought.

Very nicely filmed, amusing in parts with the Stones' magnetism and charisma shining through in bucketloads. The models, while their sheer presence was annoying,  didnt detract from the enjoyment of the film as much as I thought they would because the Stones were generally in shot at the same time, but they still shouldnt have been there. It goes against the point of a documentary to begin with, and obviously watching the film I hate them for FIVE reasons - 1) they're young and attractive  2) they got into the Beacon and I didnt  3) they got into the front row of a Stones theatre show, 4) they got paid for doing so and 5) they acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. What the fuck is it with all those cellphones? Jesus. You can expect that in a stadium when youre 60 yards away and interest in whats going on on the stage flags occasionally, but when you're in a theatre and Mick Jagger emerges from a side door at the start of 'Sympathy for the Devil' ?
As straycatuk says, they werent sending in the setlists. More like they were texting their dads asking "whats the name of that song that starts with something about 'a crossfire hurricane' or "Theyre playing "Hope you guess my name!". Arseclags.

Musically it was a bit patchy. However, in many ways its to Scorsese and the Stones' credit that the music seems to be overdub-free.Unheard of for a Stones CD or film and also for pretty much all concert movies in this day and age. When this collaboration was announced I feared it would be exactly the opposite so kudos for keeping it "live" as much as possible on this occasion, warts and all.  Remember that the 2nd Beacon show eventually took place on a day which had been originally set aside for post-production/overdubs/reshoots etc. Most special moments for me included 'As Tears go By' which provided a bit of a lump in the throat (although I stopped short of the flood that greeted it when I saw them play it at Madison Square Garden) and 'Connection', which I really liked, even though it was intercut with the interview footage. 'Just My Imagination' was pretty good too. I actualy liked "Sympathy" although many seem to have given it a pasting, "Tumbling Dice" was good also and although I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing it in the vast enormodomes the Stones persist in playing in, I thought "Satisfaction" was quite enjoyable.

Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys). Of the other two guest appearances, I dont think "Loving Cup" was a good choice for Jack White's voice - either that or his voice and Mick's just dont mesh together. Christina was quite good, surprisingly. I dont care for her music, but she has a good voice and although (again) I'm not sure it was a great choice of song, she has good stage presence and worked well with Mick. Either way it was a great improvement on the abortion Sheryl Crow made of the same song at that Miami PPV show in 1994 (although Sheryl' s normally quite good with the Stones). The only song I thought that was absolute pants was Far Away Eyes. Yeah, the shot of Mick and Keith briefly sharing the same mic for the first time since 1776 or whatever it was was sweet, but Mick's recitation (which OK, I know is tongue in cheek on the original and therefore a bit hard to deliver in concert) was so passionless it sounded like he was reading the back of a cornflakes packet and reciting the ingredients.

There was a bit to much of that MTV- like 100 mph cutaway camera shots for my liking. I much preferred the all too rare lingering shots. There was a great one of Buddy Guy after he'd sung his first verse and he's just staring/glaring across the stage and the camera just lingers on him for about ten seconds. It seemed like an hour because its so rare to get a good tracking shot like that in a concert film these days.  I also found it a bit strange that with 18 or 19 cameras in a 2,800 seater theatre that so MUCH of the camerawork was focussed on Mick.Some of the close ups were incredible. Theres a great one of Keith near the end where it zooms in from just behind his face and you can see the veins pumping in his head and arms as he's belting out the final part of (I think) Brown Sugar. Incredible.

Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over.

Brilliant read Gazza! I couldn't agree with you more  about the Keith moment. I found that to be a very telling shot, but at the same time beautiful. The way he just gathers himself up and shrugs off his age and carries on with a smile.

Quote:

Here, here!

Riffy

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:32am by Riffhard »  

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #33 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:10am
thankyou for your review Gary.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:21am
Beautifully done, Gazza.

Thanks for taking the time to write it... we were waiting for your thoughts!

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #35 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:31am
Pretty much in agreement with ya G.
I think we all agree that Champagne and Reefer IS the highlight of the film and YES BOYS an album of classic blues would be AWESOME.

Damn, why do we all get so choked up during As Tears Go By??? First time I'm going to use this emoticon as this was me at MSG when it was played.  :youmademecrylikeababy

"Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over."

Agreed completely and beautifully written.

LJ.

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:36am
cool review Gazza,
just thought I'd mention how good I thought Some Girls was, all down to Mick here - loadsa energy also a great rhythm guitar performance from Mick, as well as hilarious vocal delivery. Surprised others haven't mentioned it as a highlight. Xtina was good but she seemed to start off singing in a different key to Mick. I also thought She Was Hot, Lovin Cup (don't understand any criticism of Jack White frankly) and Sympathy were other highlights

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:44am
speedfreakjive wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:36am:
cool review Gazza,
just thought I'd mention how good I thought Some Girls was, all down to Mick here - loadsa energy also a great rhythm guitar performance from Mick, as well as hilarious vocal delivery. Surprised others haven't mentioned it as a highlight. Xtina was good but she seemed to start off singing in a different key to Mick. I also thought She Was Hot, Lovin Cup (don't understand any criticism of Jack White frankly) and Sympathy were other highlights

My bladder was on the point of giving way during "Some Girls" thanks to some pre-show imbibing, so I had to use part of the song as a piss-break.

Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating? A film of the wildest band in history by the man who directed 'Goodfellas' (the most profanity laced film in history at the time) and all of a sudden they're worried about someone being upset because Mick says the word 'fuck' ?

WTf? Or rather - WHAT THE FUCK?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:47am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:57am

'Til the wheels fall off, baby!  Cool
That was a beautifully written review. Thanks Gaz.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #39 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:06pm
Great review Gazza, I posted my thoughts about it earlier in this thread, it was certainly a experience.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #40 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:47pm
"Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating?"

In an interview, Scorsese said he got two "fucks" in the US rating system, any more after that would have upped the rating and made it much harder for younger people to get in.

I guess he thought young people were going to go to the movie?

Maybe it was done so that the front-row Bimbos could get in to see themselves?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #41 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:53pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:47pm:
"Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating?"

In an interview, Scorsese said he got two "fucks" in the US rating system, any more after that would have upped the rating and made it much harder for younger people to get in.

I guess he thought young people were going to go to the movie?

Maybe it was done so that the front-row Bimbos could get in to see themselves?

LOL

Yeah, I figured there was probably a set "fuck" quota.

Cant see why he'd be too concerned about teenagers getting the chance to see a Stones film though. I doubt he was too concerned about them when he made stuff like 'Casino' - and I'm sure there are a lot more of them interested in seeing his 'regular' films than this one.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #42 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:02pm
Good review!
postin above the rim.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:18pm
jumpingkentflash

nasty habits

and

gazza.

thanks for the reviews.  i can't wait to see this movie.

You rock!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:29pm
Quote:
i can't wait to see this movie.

What are you waiting for fotp?
I don't think it's going to be in theatres for much longer...

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:41pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:29pm:
Quote:
i can't wait to see this movie.

What are you waiting for fotp?
I don't think it's going to be in theatres for much longer...

i will be in nyc may 8th and i plan to see it then....hopefully it will still be playing.

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #46 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Almost missed your great review, Gazza!!

Couldn't agree with you more..on all counts except Sympathy.Wink

And I am stealing your last line??.... Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

LuvGlimmerTwins
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones FANatic

near Chicago, Il USA
Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:09am
I seems that just about everyone who knows me first asks, "have you seen the new Stones' movie?" and then immediatley says, "Of course you have!"

Their next querry is "what did ya think of it?"--and my reply has been that it's the cheapest Stones concert I've seen in 20 years--ha ha!

I'd highly recommend SAL for all of those who love the Stones. But--and perhaps more importantly--I'm telling folks who have never seen the Stones that this is their (affordable) chance to learn why I am a Rolling Stones FANatic who goes to great lengths and significant expense to see them up close whenever I'm able.

IMHO, SAL was more than worth the price of admission.  

For me, the biggest drawback was the annoying anger I kept feeling, seeing how healthy everyone looked and how healthy Mick's voice sounded, when a mere two days earlier he had to cancel AC due to a sore throat or whatever.  It was a major trip for me from the Midwest to the East coast--one I couldn't afford to repeat on the rescheduled AC date.  I would have felt much more empathy if the reason given for cancelling AC was Ronnie's brother, Art's, demise.  Now, needing to attend a family funeral is something I think we can ALL relate to.

They could've left the Bill and Hiliary nonsense out, and I'd never have missed it.  I did chuckle at the old interview footage, though none of it was new to these old eyes...

Just good ol' RNR-Blues show, IMHO, by the world's greatest rock n roll band Smiley I'm seeing it again this week.

Let's drink to the hardworking people. Let's drink to the humble at birth.  Raise your glass to the two thousand million.  Let's drink to the salt of the Earth!

IP Logged

luxury
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:25pm
I spotted myself twice.  However, I was just standing there, like a doofus--I thought for sure I would be rockin' out.  I am so ashamed.
Throbby has assured me it was between songs.....

&&

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #49 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:30pm
" Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys).  "

A - FRIGGIN - MEN !!!!!!

It is time that both The Rolling Stones & The Who record new albums consisting of nothing but covers of blues songs neither band has put out before . Word .

Roll with the homeys , boys .

" Slang of Ages , Ronnie ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJACKY !!!!! ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)