Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 489 490 491 492 493 ... 666
Send Topic Print
The New and Improved Joey? thread (Read 2,106,243 times)
MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Re: The New and Improved Joey? thread
Reply #12250 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:35am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Joey, this one's for you. RIP, Mr Mazursky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/02/arts/paul-mazursky-director-dies-at-84.html

Paul Mazursky, Director Who Captured a Changing America, Dies at 84

By ROBERT D. McFADDENJULY 1, 2014

Paul Mazursky in the ’70s.

Paul Mazursky, an innovative director and screenwriter who both satirized and sympathized with America’s panorama of social upheavals in the late 1960s and ’70s in films that included “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice,” “Blume in Love” and “An Unmarried Woman,” died on Monday in Los Angeles. He was 84.

A family spokeswoman, Nancy Willen, said he died of pulmonary cardiac arrest at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Mr. Mazursky lived in Beverly Hills.

As the nation’s counterculture revolution shattered traditional norms of sex, marriage and conformity, Mr. Mazursky made his most popular and commercially successful films: lighthearted sendups of wife-swapping, yoga classes, group therapy, pot-smoking, midlife crises and other self-absorbed, middle-class indulgences that reviewers said he crafted with even-handedness and generosity.

Some critics complained that his satire wasn’t cutting enough. Others called his comedies crisp at a time when behavior was at its fuzziest. Vincent Canby, in a 1976 analysis in The New York Times, acknowledged: “Mazursky is a tough man to handle critically. He is alternately witty and brilliantly sarcastic, then suddenly, soddenly sincere and self-centered, only to explode unexpectedly as a first-rate social satirist.”

Mr. Mazursky in an undated photo. Credit Image by Doug Hyun/HBO, via Associated Press

Indeed, comic ambiguity, blending satire and social observation, was Mr. Mazursky’s stock in trade.

In his most vivid illustration of the technique, he explored the pain and dislocation of divorce, and its liberating effects, in “An Unmarried Woman,” released in 1978 and quickly embraced by the women’s movement. His screenplay was nominated for an Academy Award, while the film itself was nominated for a best picture Oscar and Jill Clayburgh for best actress.

In the film Ms. Clayburgh, who died in 2010, plays a wealthy, happily married mother in Manhattan whose stockbroker husband of 16 years announces tearfully that he is leaving her for a younger woman he had met at Bloomingdale’s. Dumbfounded, she stalks away and retches in a trash bin. Rage and sorrow ensue. But new freedoms — a resurgent self-esteem, another man in her life, the power to make her own decisions — bring fresh perspectives on sex, independence and her identity as a woman.

Mr. Mazursky told Sam Wasson, the author of “Paul on Mazursky” (2011), that his films were shaped less by broad cultural trends than by what he saw around him.

“When I wrote ‘An Unmarried Woman’ I was aware of the women’s movement, which was happening then,” he said. “But it was happening to me! I wrote it not because it was happening in America, but because I’d seen divorce happening around me.”

Mr. Mazursky made his directing debut in 1969 with “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice,” which skewered wife-swapping, encounter groups and Esalen, the California counterculture mecca. The four swap partners explore their feelings and wind up in a crowded bed together without actually having sex but looking quizzical and a bit guilty — an image that seemed to sum up middle-class doubts over America’s wrenching societal changes.

“ ‘Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice’ isn’t really about wife swapping at all,” the critic Roger Ebert wrote in The Chicago Sun-Times, “but about the epidemic of moral earnestness that’s sweeping our society right now. For some curious reason we suddenly seem compelled to tell the truth in our personal relationships.”

Elliott Gould, Natalie Wood, Robert Culp and Dyan Cannon in the 1969 film "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice." Credit Image by Columbia Pictures

In “Blume in Love” (1973), Mr. Mazursky examined a man (portrayed by George Segal) who flippantly divorces his wife (Susan Anspach), then realizes that he still loves her and uses desperate, even violent means to win her back. The marriage is renewed against the splendors of Venice, but it is hardly a happy ending. The couple’s privileged world of psychiatry, money and marijuana remains flawed by the fundamental emptiness of their lives.

In “Harry and Tonto” (1974), which he wrote with Josh Greenfeld, Mr. Mazursky found subtle humor in the hardships of aging. In the film, Art Carney plays a crotchety old man who, with his cat, Tonto, travels across an America populated by misfits, including his own children. Mr. Carney won the Academy Award as best actor for his performance.

Some critics likened Mr. Mazursky to European directors like Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini, Jean Renoir and François Truffaut for his ability to bring out the interior lives of his characters. Paying homage, Mr. Mazursky cast Fellini in a cameo in “Alex in Wonderland” (1970), a distinctly Felliniesque autobiographical film about a director (Donald Sutherland) who sinks into despair after a successful first film. And he incorporated scenes from Truffaut’s “Jules and Jim” in his 1980 film, “Willie & Phil” — which, like the Truffaut film, told the story of two friends in love with the same woman.

Mr. Mazursky was a show-business rarity, almost never out of work in a run of six decades that began as a stage and screen actor in the early 1950s and was still adding credits at the time of his death. He appeared in some 90 Hollywood films and television productions; wrote comedies and dramas for television, and, starting in the late 1960s, directed, produced and wrote screenplays for a score of films and documentaries.

For all that, there was an ageless quality about him. Associates said he had boundless energy, the rapid patter of a stand-up comic and an actor’s gift for memory. With his long hair tied back, his hawkish nose and his solemn eyes, he looked a bit like the American Indian in the well-known public service commercial who sheds a tear for a profligate nation.

Some of his later films were his most ambitious, notably a 1989 adaptation of Isaac Bashevis Singer’s 1972 novel, “Enemies, a Love Story,” which he wrote with Roger L. Simon. That film examines the hopes, foibles and fatalisms of Holocaust survivors in New York, centering on a Jewish man (Ron Silver) who shares one apartment with his wife and another with a mistress while maintaining a vexing third relationship with a former wife. When she turns up, the film becomes a triple-romance comedy of high anxiety against a backdrop of painful memories.

“Like the best of Mr. Mazursky’s work, it presents a very full spectrum of complicated and sometimes darkly funny emotions,” Janet Maslin wrote in The Times. “Although the shadow of the Holocaust extends to cover everyone in the story, none of the characters are in any way typical; each has a psychic makeup that is idiosyncratic and distinct. In a story with so much potential for sentimentality and broad bedroom farce, it is surprising that there is none of either.”

Mr. Mazursky directed Jill Clayburgh in "An Unmarried Woman." Credit Image by 20th Century Fox

Irwin Mazursky was born in Brooklyn on April 25, 1930, to David Mazursky and the former Jean Gerson. His father was a laborer, and his mother played the piano for dance classes.

Although he became an atheist, Mr. Mazursky grew up with Jewish traditions. He was also devoted to his Russian-born maternal grandfather, who read Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev and Chekhov in the back of his candy store.

Mr. Mazursky graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Brooklyn in 1947, hoping to become an actor. At Brooklyn College, he appeared in student productions and an Off Broadway play, and in his senior year he took a month off to make his film debut in Stanley Kubrick’s first feature, “Fear and Desire,” about soldiers behind enemy lines. He changed his first name to Paul and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 1951.

In 1953 he married Betsy Purdy. The couple had two daughters, Meg and Jill. His wife and his daughter Jill Mazursky survive him, as do four grandchildren and a great-grandson.

Mr. Mazursky appeared in the 1955 social-commentary film “The Blackboard Jungle,” a drama about an urban high school starring Glenn Ford, and for years he worked as a comedian in nightclubs and played small roles on television. His first screenplay to be produced — written with his frequent collaborator Larry Tucker — was “I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!” (1968), considered Hollywood’s first sendup of hippie culture, starring Peter Sellers and directed by Hy Averback.

Mr. Mazursky never won an Oscar, but was nominated five times. In addition to “An Unmarried Woman,” he received best screenplay nominations for “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice,” “Harry and Tonto” and “Enemies, a Love Story.”

Among his other films were the autobiographical “Next Stop, Greenwich Village” (1976); the comedy “Moscow on the Hudson” (1984), about a Russian musician (Robin Williams) who defects; “Down and Out in Beverly Hills” (1986), about a vagrant (Nick Nolte) who insinuates himself into the home of a well-to-do couple (Bette Midler and Richard Dreyfuss); and “Scenes From a Mall” (1991), about the disintegrating marriage of a couple played by Woody Allen and Ms. Midler.

Mr. Mazursky directed only sporadically after the early 1990s, but continued to work as an actor, notably on several episodes of Larry David’s HBO comedy series, “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” His memoir, “Show Me the Magic,” was published in 1999.

The film critic Richard Corliss wrote in New Times in 1978 that Mr. Mazursky had “created a body of work unmatched in contemporary American cinema for its originality and cohesiveness.”

He was, Mr. Corliss said, “likely to be remembered as the filmmaker of the ’70s. No screenwriter has probed so deep under the pampered skin of this fascinating, maligned decade; no director has so successfully mined it for home-truth human revelations.”

Daniel E. Slotnik contributed reporting.

A version of this article appears in print on July 2, 2014, on page B19 of the New York edition with the headline: Paul Mazursky, Director Who Showed ‘Me’ Era’s Strength and Foibles, Dies at 84. Order Reprints|Today's Paper|Subscribe

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:21am by MrPleasant »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12251 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:47am
" Joey, this one's for you. RIP, Mr Mazursky.  "

Bless You Mr. Pleasant     --- You are much loved by Your Young Joey  :

" In “Harry and Tonto” (1974), which he wrote with Josh Greenfeld, Mr. Mazursky found subtle humor in the hardships of aging. In the film, Art Carney plays a crotchety old man who, with his cat, Tonto, travels across an America populated by misfits, including his own children. Mr. Carney won the Academy Award as best actor for his performance.  "

Poor Tonto

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #12252 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:27pm
Joey?

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12253 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:10am

No Voo    ............. NOT Young Joeykins :

Voo  ................. ?!

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:12am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12254 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:12am

Voo  .................. ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12255 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:13am

Edith ?!   

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12256 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:14am

Some Guy ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12257 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:15am

Perks ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12258 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:16am

Bucky ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12259 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:18am
Mr . Pleasant  ?!

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:19am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12260 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:21am

Nanky ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12261 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 4:24am

Voo ?!

Gazza  ... ?!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12262 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 6:33am
Joey ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12263 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:06am

Yes Edith   ......... Young Joey !!!!   :

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12264 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 6:23pm

TomL   .. ?!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12265 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:13pm
Joey?

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12266 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:04am

Gazza ?!

Voo   ............... ?!

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2014 at 6:08pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #12267 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Edith?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12268 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:45am
Some Guy ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12269 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:40am
Yes Gazza   ....... Young  Joeykins   :

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12270 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:28am

Sir Moonie ?!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12271 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:22am
“ In subsequent addresses , Fonda told pilots about bombs that damaged hospitals and also of the devastating
effects of napalm that left its victim  ‘ living as a mutilated person , forever in physical pain . ‘  Blaming a deceitful
administration , not the soldiers , she warned ,  ‘ Nixon is continuing to risk your lives and the lives of American
prisoners of war under the bombing in a last desperate gamble to keep his office come November   …. The
people back home are crying for you . We are afraid of what must be happening to you as human beings . For it is
not possible to destroy  …. without having done damage to your own souls .   ‘
     Following her first broadcast  , Jane Fonda met with seven American POW’s who talked about their experiences .
The next day , she went on Radio Hanoi and reported that the pilots believed they were ‘  bombing military
targets ‘ and were shocked to discover otherwise .  ‘ They asked me to bring messages back home
to their loved ones and friends , telling them to please be as actively involved in the peace movement
as possible ,  to renew their efforts to end the war . ‘
     Fonda remained confident that meeting so many soldiers at coffeehouses and rallies made her
sensitive to the POWs’ concerns . What she did not realize was how easily North Vietnamese
government officials could manipulate her . On the last day of her trip , she traveled to an anti-aircraft
military installation where she was greeted by musicians and soldiers who sang songs about freedom and liberty .
When photographers asked their naïve guest to sit on an anti-aircraft emplacement , she donned a hard hat
and laughed along with her hosts as they took photos . Fonda’s festive mood quickly disappeared when she realized
what was happening . ‘ Oh My GOD !!! , ‘ she thought .  ‘ It is going to look like I was trying to shoot down U.S. planes ! ‘
She begged the photographers not to publish the pictures . They assured her they would not  , but they did  . One of the
pictures hit the newswires within twenty – four hours and sparked an outpouring of anger at home . The photo  ,
which along with the radio broadcasts earned her the sobriquet ‘ Hanoi Jane ‘  , would haunt her forever .
Whatever her intentions , these weapons were being used to shoot down American planes . ‘  That two –minute
lapse of sanity  , ‘  she confessed in her autobiography ,  ‘ will haunt me until I die  .  “

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Left-Right-American-Politics/dp/0195181727

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:15pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12272 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:44am
Joey ?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12273 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:57am

No Edith   ...... NOT Young Joeykins !!!   :

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Belo Horizonte
Reply #12274 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:42am
okay i'll bite it - joey?

683261035 rochaf319 twentythreeskidoo  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 489 490 491 492 493 ... 666
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)