Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 276
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 896,580 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!)
Reply #1625 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
gimmekeef wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 1:50pm:
Just to stir the pot....

a day in the life of joe "THE TRUMP VOTER" republican--by john gray: Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised. All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor. Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joes employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune. Its noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to. Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

Pretty much true until early-2009 when the ruling party got their hands on the wheel and took a hard left turn into the ditch.
After eight years of that, middle America (you know that big swath of land between New York and California) finally had enough of losing what they worked for and made the 2016 election a referendum.

This ain't your daddy's Democratic party anymore, ya'll!
What you have now are a group of squatters that have moved into your basement.
Eventually, they get tired of that basement and they want more.
They want more of what you have, and they want more of you.

I'm looking forward to the day when the Dem's leaders finally realize that stubbornly pushing harder to the far-left does nothing to bring the electorate together, because it does take two parties to run this country.   

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1626 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:17pm
sirmoonie wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
Whatever happened to Huey Long?

It was Huey P. Long that ordered the Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge to be built low enough to require all ocean-going ships to unload their cargo in Louisiana.

Now that's a fuckin' Democrat for ya !

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1627 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:25pm
sirmoonie wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
Just to stir the pot....

a day in the life of joe "THE TRUMP VOTER" republican--by john gray: Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised. All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor. Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joes employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune. Its noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to. Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

I don't know, Mafoo.  Magoo?  This just looks like fake news to me.

Fake news.  You know what I think?  I think its fake news.

Magoo?

Sputnik.  Sputnick.  Puffnik.  Squibnik.  Poxom.  Squawk.   Magoo?

Whatever happened to Huey Long?  The promise of chicken and Studebackers.  The promise of America.  The promise of Trump.

I feel ya Sir Moonie . President Trump ( ' Dear Leader ! ' ) is still very new to this Politics Thing  . Give him Time to channel his ' Inner LBJ !  '

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2017 at 9:00am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1628 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:13am
Can we stop using this "fake news" crap every time we don't agree with someone's point of view? gets really old....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1629 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:21am
Edith Grove wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 4:08pm:
Just to stir the pot....

Pretty much true until early-2009 when the ruling party got their hands on the wheel and took a hard left turn into the ditch.
After eight years of that, middle America (you know that big swath of land between New York and California) finally had enough of losing what they worked for and made the 2016 election a referendum.

This ain't your daddy's Democratic party anymore, ya'll!
What you have now are a group of squatters that have moved into your basement.
Eventually, they get tired of that basement and they want more.
They want more of what you have, and they want more of you.

I'm looking forward to the day when the Dem's leaders finally realize that stubbornly pushing harder to the far-left does nothing to bring the electorate together, because it does take two parties to run this country.   

Edith, I don't disagree at all with your post. My frustration is that as a person who is slightly left of center and has zero allegiance to any party I'm tired of liberal bashing. Being inferred liberals have ruined the country and are not patriots or out to ruin the country. There is too much alienation and name calling. You're right it does take 2 to get anything done. The same can be said for folks who call Trump supporters deplorable or uneducated or racist. I guess I just feel stranded in the middle  with no light at the end of the tunnel.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1630 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 11:33am
gimmekeef wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:13am:
Can we stop using this "fake news" crap every time we don't agree with someone's point of view? gets really old....

I have a very discerning, analytical and disciplined mind.  If anyone is foolhardy enough to disagree with me in the first instance, the presumptive assumption can only be that their disagreement is founded upon "fake news."  But if it bothers you that much I don't mind switching back to "That's what the liberal media wants you to think!"  I'm reasonable.  Let me know.  Help ME to help YOU.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1631 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 11:36am

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1632 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 12:37pm
sirmoonie wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 11:33am:

I have a very discerning, analytical and disciplined mind.  If anyone is foolhardy enough to disagree with me in the first instance, the presumptive assumption can only be that their disagreement is founded upon "fake news."  But if it bothers you that much I don't mind switching back to "That's what the liberal media wants you to think!"  I'm reasonable.  Let me know.  Help ME to help YOU.

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1633 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 12:38pm

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1634 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Joey: Why did Gawd kill Johhny Carson?

Low ratings.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1635 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 1:56pm
MrPleasant wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
Joey: Why did Gawd kill Johhny Carson?

Low ratings.

What  ..... ?!   ... !!!!!!!!!   :

Low Ratings  ............ ?!  ... !!!!!!

LOW RATINGS   ......... ?!  ....... !!!!!!!!!!  :

Low Friggin Ratings Me Arse !!!!!

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson was Number # 1 in the Nielsen Ratings for Thirty Consecutive Years with an average nightly viewership of twenty million people  . At his peak in the late 1970's and early 1980's the NBC Television Network was earning 45 Percent of its revenue from Carson's Tonight Show ALONE !!!!

..... not to mention the fact Johnny had the Number #1 rated Daytime television program " Who Do You Trust " from 1957 - 1962  .
That is Thirty - Five Straight Years of being Number # 1 in the ratings .

" Talk About Winning , Ronnie !!!!!!!!!!!! "

" I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!  "

Joey Carson ™®©
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2017 at 4:44pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1636 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 3:30pm
We (D. Trump and real Americans) are bringing back the House Committee on Un-American Activities.  We know you Alger Piss types are hiding out there, and we WILL find you, and subpoena yo' ass!  Yeah!  Yeah.  Terrific!

Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrific!!!!!!!!  How ya doing, America?   Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrific!!!!!!

Mondo.

Mondo hondo.  Mondo?

We are going to bring back common decency.  Restore it to the fold. 

Mongacious.  The Mongasoid.

It's all about a search for The Truth.  Without Truth, there can be no Justice.  Without Justice, there can be no Trump.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1637 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 3:40pm
sirmoonie wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 3:30pm:
We (D. Trump and real Americans) are bringing back the House Committee on Un-American Activities.  We know you Alger Piss types are hiding out there, and we WILL find you, and subpoena yo' ass!  Yeah!  Yeah.  Terrific!

Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrific!!!!!!!!  How ya doing, America?   Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrific!!!!!!

Mondo.

Mondo hondo.  Mondo?

It's all about a search for The Truth.  Without Truth, there can be no Justice.  Without Justice, there can be no Trump.

most of us would trade anything to have no Trump. Guy's a lying ass.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1638 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 5:14pm
Edith makes the valid point that your democratic party has nothing to do with truly serving the people anymore.
The same applies to the Britain, and A ustralia's labour party. It all began for us with Tony Blair's so called new labour. Had we put a skirt on him you could've been forgiven for thinking Maggie's Thatch was back at No. 10. The people's parties are dead and buried. That's why you got do nothing talk shit Obama. "Tell them you lean a bit to the left, they'll buy it". An empty suit as one wit put it, a Chicago boy. Hilary had a fucking breakdown.

We have no true representation in Washington, London, fucking Jo'burg, Ottawa, anyfucking where. They have fucked us over from the moment that fatal bullet went thru JFK's head.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1639 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 9:10pm

< ---------- Some Guy   ..... ?!   ..... !!!!!!!!! :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/should-trump-abandon-the-gop-1498688524

" Should Trump Abandon the GOP?  "

" Donald Trump may separate himself from a party disabled by a permanent blocking minority. "

By Daniel Henninger

" In 2016, Donald Trump stood on debate stages and ran against a half-dozen Republicans in the party’s presidential primaries. He won. With his presidential victory came Republican control of the House and Senate, in part because of his coattails.

After Senate Republicans this week failed to move a bill to repeal and replace Obama Care, Mr. Trump must be asking himself: Why do I need these people?

Just now, that’s a good question.

If the congressional Republicans can’t do ObamaCare reform after years of chanting they would, what chance is there they’ll pull off the heavier lift of tax reform?

Mr. Trump has to be wondering whether he would be better off with his version of the Obama presidential model: govern by pen-and-phone executive order through the agencies he controls.

Barack Obama rendered Congress moribund with little outcry from voters. The Obama error was his predictable left-wing overreach with extralegal decrees like the Clean Power Plan, which failed a court challenge before the D.C. Circuit.

To succeed as president, Mr. Trump has to show he can govern, and it looks like that may require separating himself from a Republican Party disabled by a permanent blocking minority with no interest in governing.

At the level of domestic politics, successful presidential governing means not much more than enabling and attaching oneself to an improving economy, as the impeached but popular Bill Clinton proved possible.

The economy is already strengthening, and Mr. Trump can direct Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and White House economics chief Gary Cohn to accelerate their deregulation of financial and energy markets.

Before the Republicans lose seats and maybe control of the House in 2018, Mr. Trump can still extract a few things helpful to himself. Desperate incumbents, such as Nevada’s ObamaCare reform opponent Sen. Dean Heller, will be looking for a legislative life raft. Mr. Trump no doubt could get a modest tax-cut bill passed this year. That will support slow but steady upward growth unless he retards even that with a regime of steel tariffs and myriad trade uncertainties.

Real tax reform would liberate the U.S.’s ocean of pent-up capital and produce an economic boom, assuring continued GOP control of Congress. But Republicans like West Virginia’s Sen. Shelley Moore Capito see their reason for being as protecting the Medicaid status quo.

Some may say Mr. Trump and the Republicans will now take political ownership of the steady collapse of the ObamaCare exchanges. But he didn’t create these things; Congress did, and when voters elected a Congress to reform ObamaCare, it failed.

The press will dump full responsibility for this political nonfeasance on congressional Republicans, and voters will take it out on them in 2018. Health and Human Services can tinker with the failing ObamaCare exchanges, as it would have under Hillary Clinton anyway, and Mr. Trump can blame Congress for the residual mess.

As to Mr. Trump’s low approval rating, the danger there was always that it would scare away Republicans from his agenda. That looks moot now. The Republicans’ approval rating is no doubt already plummeting. Mr. Trump’s approval will rise as the economy improves and if he modulates himself by about half, as he’s done recently.

Most intriguing of all is the longer term future of Mr. Trump’s formal relationship with the Republican Party. After voters in 2018 reorder Congress, Mr. Trump can consolidate his base with a big infrastructure bill co-designed by Democrats and likely approved by independent voters. By then, the Republican opposition that tanked ObamaCare reform will be irrelevant.

And please, hold the faux shock when Mr. Trump, a nonideological pragmatist, entertains Chuck Schumer’s Medicare-for-all as the final health-care fix. In Mr. Trump’s world, subcontractors come and go. The GOP shouldn’t bother trying to collect for work done.

This disorder could surface the possibility that dare not speak its name until now: a more centrist Trumpian political party of the sort favored by Ivanka Trump. No one thought Emmanuel Macron’s party bolt in France could go so far.

Look who’s out front undermining Mr. Trump’s health-care reform: Ted Cruz, Rob Portman, Rand Paul, Mike Lee and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. The nominal reasons each has given for opposing the reform don’t add up. What makes sense is compulsively ambitious Republican politicians positioning themselves to emerge from the rubble and run in 2020 against what they think will be a wounded president. They may end up with nothing but the rubble.

Reasons abound for the GOP’s rump opposition to spend the July 4 holiday rethinking what it is doing. But the biggest of all is this: After eight years of rule by progressive presidential decree, they are putting in motion four more years of centralizing power by a Republican president. The opposition may alter American government forever, but this couldn’t be further from what they intended. "
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:07am by Joey »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1640 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 11:25am
gypsymofo60 wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 5:14pm:
Edith makes the valid point that your democratic party has nothing to do with truly serving the people anymore.
The same applies to the Britain, and A ustralia's labour party. It all began for us with Tony Blair's so called new labour. Had we put a skirt on him you could've been forgiven for thinking Maggie's Thatch was back at No. 10. The people's parties are dead and buried. That's why you got do nothing talk shit Obama. "Tell them you lean a bit to the left, they'll buy it". An empty suit as one wit put it, a Chicago boy. Hilary had a fucking breakdown.

We have no true representation in Washington, London, fucking Jo'burg, Ottawa, anyfucking where. They have fucked us over from the moment that fatal bullet went thru JFK's head.

Brilliant post. Thanks.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #1641 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:13pm
gimmekeef wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 3:40pm:

Mondo.

Mondo hondo.  Mondo?

He's a fucking pig.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/politics/trump-mika-analysis/index.html?sr=fbpol06...

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1642 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:18pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Jun 28th, 2017 at 3:40pm:

Mondo.

Mondo hondo.  Mondo?

He's a fucking pig.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/politics/trump-mika-analysis/index.html?sr=fbpol06...

It Is Coming !!!!!   ............... Hang on Everyone   ...... Gonna Be A Biggin ' 

This World is only Big Enough for ONE ' Dear Leader ! ' and it is NOT going to be Kim Jong    :

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2017 at 12:41pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1643 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:23pm

<  ----------- Edith  .... ?!   ... !!!!! :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-simplicity-of-a-health-deal-1498776293

" The Simplicity of a Health Deal  "

" The GOP must realize protection for pre-existing conditions is here to stay.  "

By Kimberley A. Strassel

" As Washington continues to boggle the nation with the complex minutiae of health-care reform, the contours of an actual deal aren’t nearly so mystifying. The success of the GOP effort comes down to one simple question: Will the most conservative members of Congress accept that the politics of health care have changed?

Or more simply yet: Will they acknowledge that any reform must include continued protections for pre-existing medical conditions?

It’s that easy. Yes, the media analysis is correct that there are two camps of defectors from the Senate’s reform bill. One consists of Republican moderates— Rob Portman, Dean Heller, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski —who claim the bill is too mean to poor and sick people. Cue mind-numbing media stories about Medicaid formulas and per capita spending caps and medical inflation, all of which make a compromise sound nigh impossible.

Hardly. Here’s a tip: When a politician claims a bill “cuts too much,” that’s an invitation to be bought off. There’s a reason several senators who had been largely mum on the GOP bill (Jerry Moran of Kansas, Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia) came out against it only after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell delayed a vote. They saw the other holdouts were about to get payola, and they wanted theirs.

And there is cash to be had. With the stakes this high, the Senate leadership will gladly shuffle some money toward opioid treatment, rural health-care providers or Medicaid. So getting the “moderates” on board is simple and transactional. They name a price, they get pork, they vote yes.

The conservatives are the sticking point, precisely because they have principles. Sens. Ron Johnson, Mike Lee, Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have been clear from the start that any bill must lower premiums, which involves getting rid of costly ObamaCare mandates. And there is no question that among the most expensive mandates are those designed to protect individuals with pre-existing conditions—in particular “community rating,” which requires insurers to charge the same prices regardless of health status.

The House Freedom Caucus was so intent on getting rid of community rating that it nearly derailed the bill. Only after the conference added an amendment allowing states to apply for waivers from community rating did the most conservative members finally came on board.

Even so, it was always clear that provision was never going to fly in the Senate—and for a simple reason. Freedom Caucus members tend to hail from inordinately conservative (and safe) congressional districts, whereas senators represent entire statewide populations. And a sizable majority of the public strongly supports retaining protections for pre-existing conditions.

This is the true legacy of the Republican presidential loss in 2008, and the health-care law that resulted. Few Americans ever understood the stunningly complex means by which ObamaCare screwed up the individual insurance market, or the wider economy. To this day, most Americans haven’t intimately interacted with the law, as they receive their health care from an employer or Medicare.

But every American remembers two particular provisions of the law—pre-existing conditions and coverage for children up to 26. These policies are simple and sound good. And they have become over the years a new standard in most people’s minds. A February poll from YouGov showed 77% support for protections for consumers with pre-existing conditions.

Principles matter, but so does public will. Conservatives will argue their side just needs to do a better job explaining how these mandates drive up costs for everyone, or lower the quality of care. These are valid points, but they’ll count for little in the face of 2018 Democratic campaign ads that flash GOP names next to a graphic of a kid in a wheelchair with cancer who can’t get care. Republicans lost this argument nearly a decade ago, when Mr. Obama won. More than 90% of Senate Republicans understand this.

Which is another way of saying that protections for pre-existing conditions are here to stay, and conservatives face a choice. They can work with their colleagues to minimize the costs of the mandates (there are innovative ways to do this) and build in different free-market reforms to lower premiums. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that the current Senate bill will reduce premiums by about 30%, and the GOP can and should build on this.

Or they can kill the bill, and get no premium reductions at all, no deficit reduction, no Medicaid reform, no tax cuts, and no economic boost. Oh, and the protections for pre-existing conditions would remain. Plus, electoral disaster would loom.

It’s a binary choice, rooted in blunt political reality, which ought to make it an easy call. The question is whether conservatives will be savvy enough to forge a face-saving compromise and seek victories elsewhere in the bill. The health-care debate has changed over the past decade, and Republicans can’t reverse it on a dime. But they can pass a bill that starts the walk back to freer health-care markets.  "

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:28am by Joey »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1644 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 2:00pm
Trump isn't just a great Leader, he's like one of those guys that teaches you how to do stuff in your life.  I think it's called a "guru" or a "savior."  He's like a Meher Baba Master, riding on a gilded donkey down off the Mount, preaching pontificals and divine wisdom.  Trump has shown us that the means not only justify the end, but the end doesn't matter as long as you Win.  Contemplate that.  It's all about The Winning.  It's an enlightening and bold philosophy.  It's what the Founding Fathers intended for America, Manifest Individualism and Rugged Destiny, and the bulging riches that some of us deserve as of right.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1645 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:11pm
We maintain our prediction that Trump is fucking up.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1646 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Unleash the Power !!

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1647 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 9:31am

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1648 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 10:11am
Some Guy wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:11pm:
We maintain our prediction that Trump is fucking up.

Why do you hate America?

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1649 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:24pm
Nanker Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 276
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)