Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date) (Read 51,688 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date)
Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
New issue of the very reputable French magazine "Rock & Folk" features an interview with Don Was, who says he has been working on a 'Sticky Fingers' reissue for March 2015.

Tellingly, he mentions that it wasnt easy to find a lot of usable unreleased material as a lot of the songs from that era were used for Exile and Tattoo You (!)

Thanks to kowalski on IORR for the info.

Whats even more telling is that quite a few of the videos of thecomplete  Marquee Club gig from 1971 have been removed from YouTube by Eagle Rock recently, which would suggest that, as has been hinted previously, this show might feature as part of the release.

(thread title edited 24th Feb to reflect more likely release date of May 2015)
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:16pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Sticky Fingers reissue March 2015?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:54am
"Rock & Folk" features an interview with Don Was, who says he has been working on a 'Sticky Fingers' reissue for March 2015.

Tellingly, he mentions that it wasnt easy to find a lot of usable unreleased material as a lot of the songs from that era were used for Exile and Tattoo You (!)

Thanks to kowalski on IORR for the info.

Whats even more telling is that quite a few of the videos of thecomplete  Marquee Club gig from 1971 have been removed from YouTube by Eagle Rock recently, which would suggest that, as has been hinted previously, this show might feature as part of the release. "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 12:16pm
would have a been a nice christmas present but march will do!!!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 2:08pm
To hell with Marquee Club - Complete Leeds 1971 in stereo.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 4:40pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 2:08pm:

let it rip!!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 6:26pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 2:08pm:

Maybe we'll get that too.

Original album remastered already about four or five years ago.

Very few outtakes, with a large crossover of songs which were used for Exile or reworked for the Exile deluxe.

Very little known video footage or circulating audio from what is their least documented tour of the Brian Jones era.

A TV special which was never shown in the UK because the band thought the performance was sub-par.

All in all, while its undoubtedly a classic album, its not the most logical choice to get the 'deluxe' treatment.

Nonetheless, I will, of course, be all over the fucking thing.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Considering the crossover from the Let It Bleed, then Sticky Fingers, then Exile sessions, I'd think they could easily come up with a good bonus disc for this release (including the inevitable new overdubs and vocal tracks on some songs). That is if they can be bothered. I don't think the people who will buy this would care a lot, and probably would know more about when the actual songs date from than the Stones themselves.

I'd propose:
acoustic All Down the Line
electric All Down the Line alternative (earlier?) take
early Shine a Light (aka Get a Line On You)
Brown Sugar (Keith's birthday version w/Clapton and Al Cooper
Traveling Man

Just a few that are mostly complete and in excellent sound.

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2014 at 8:58pm by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:49pm
Wake me up when I can see the full Mocambo.  Don't suck my cock

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:48am
If 'Schoolboy Blues' isn't on this, I will eat a pair of trousers.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:37am
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:48am:

Guard your trousers; or they will be --as Bill Wyman in "RARITIES 1971-2003"-- like they never existed: "airbrushed".
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:39am by MrPleasant »  

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:41am
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:48am:

One pair of trousers, coming right up!
really?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:11am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 8:56pm:
Considering the crossover from the Let It Bleed, then Sticky Fingers, then Exile sessions, I'd think they could easily come up with a good bonus disc for this release (including the inevitable new overdubs and vocal tracks on some songs). That is if they can be bothered. I don't think the people who will buy this would care a lot, and probably would know more about when the actual songs date from than the Stones themselves.

I'd propose:
Traveling Man

Most of those - Brown Sugar excepted and arguably Travellin' Man too - were surely songs that were under consideration for the Exile reissue though (and they released an early take of ADTL on the 'Plundered my soul' single already)

I agree they could come up with a good bonus disc of studio material - but it'd mostly be alternate takes. Most of the usable songs that were left off Sticky Fingers ended up being released on Exile a year later with a few overdubs added.

The reason why Exile was a double album to begin with was because they had some very good songs leftover from Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers - and therefore there werent a lot of bonafide outtakes from Exile because they used up material from old sessions as filler (albeit magnificent filler!).

They dont tend to finish a lot more songs than what they need at the time. Understandably enough as theyre working to a schedule to get a record finished for a certain time and the concept of finding a use for these surplus songs on reissues of the albums four decades later was something that couldnt have been foreseen.

... ... ...
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 11:44am
They need to think this one through...maybe focus on Black And Blue to kill some time

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:29pm
munichhilton wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 11:44am:
They need to think this one through...maybe focus on Black And Blue to kill some time

after this last week time doesnt appear to be on their side

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:11am:

I'd propose:
Traveling Man

Most of those - Brown Sugar excepted and arguably Travellin' Man too - were surely songs that were under consideration for the Exile reissue though (and they released an early take of ADTL on the 'Plundered my soul' single already)

I agree they could come up with a good bonus disc of studio material - but it'd mostly be alternate takes. Most of the usable songs that were left off Sticky Fingers ended up being released on Exile a year later with a few overdubs added.

The reason why Exile was a double album to begin with was because they had some very good songs leftover from Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers - and therefore there werent a lot of bonafide outtakes from Exile because they used up material from old sessions as filler (albeit magnificent filler!).

They dont tend to finish a lot more songs than what they need at the time. Understandably enough as theyre working to a schedule to get a record finished for a certain time and the concept of finding a use for these surplus songs on reissues of the albums four decades later was something that couldnt have been foreseen.

G, let me ask you this (not to change album project topics), and I'll use Still A Fool/Two Trains Running as my example:
it seems unlikely that Abcko is going to give Stones Inc. much more latitude business wise to release anything more (even if the Stones wanted to) due to the Klein estate situation (correct me if I'm mistaken about that situation).

So here's my point: why couldn't Still A Fool appear on the Sticky Fingers release? To my way of thinking, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile were all just one big productive session, resulting in four albums. But that's just me.
I think that song would fit right in (and on the Exile re-release as well). Obviously it's more than worthy of release. So what might be the hold up?
Business considerations? Trying to erase Brian from their history (that's him on slide, no matter what anyone says, and a brilliant last hurrah it is too) like they try to do with Bill? If it be copyright/royalties/greed, etc - surely the song is public domain by now (I seriously doubt it can be solely attributed to Muddy Waters).

Sorry for the meandering post, just interested in your views on these things.

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:14pm by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #15 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:28pm
Some interesting info on why big '60s artists need to release more from the vaults, business-wise.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-bob-dylan-box-sets/

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 12:34am
A call could shirley/possibly be made to Tiffany Schwartz-Klein or whoever it is who now chairs Klein, Klein & Schwartz-Klein.
Or to Nobby and Bunty or someone at Decca, in re. 'Schoolboy Blues'?

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #17 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 3:30am
Wouldn't surprise me if Criss-Cross Man turned up on this one. I am told it would be out of place chronologically, but there's been debates on the SG and Exile bonus discs as well.

I'd like that one on an official release, so I wouldn't mind. Otherwise I'll be eagerly awaiting the deluxe treatment of other 70's albums. Without holding my breath.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:35am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
Gazza wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:11am:

I'd propose:
Traveling Man

G, let me ask you this (not to change album project topics), and I'll use Still A Fool/Two Trains Running as my example:
it seems unlikely that Abcko is going to give Stones Inc. much more latitude business wise to release anything more (even if the Stones wanted to) due to the Klein estate situation (correct me if I'm mistaken about that situation).

So here's my point: why couldn't Still A Fool appear on the Sticky Fingers release? To my way of thinking, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile were all just one big productive session, resulting in four albums. But that's just me.
I think that song would fit right in (and on the Exile re-release as well). Obviously it's more than worthy of release. So what might be the hold up?
Business considerations? Trying to erase Brian from their history (that's him on slide, no matter what anyone says, and a brilliant last hurrah it is too) like they try to do with Bill? If it be copyright/royalties/greed, etc - surely the song is public domain by now (I seriously doubt it can be solely attributed to Muddy Waters).

Sorry for the meandering post, just interested in your views on these things.

Meander away! We should do it more often.

I think 'Beggars' is seen as more of a separate entity than the three albums that succeeded it (no changing line up, all new songs, all recorded in a relatively short time frame), but I take your point. 'Sister Morphine' originates from these sessions, after all (although the version on SF dates from an early 'Let It Bleed' session).

I dont think there's much of a problem with ABKCO anymore. Jody Klein himself even specifically stated this in an interview in IORR magazine a few years back.

There's been a huge amount of co-operation on archive releases in recent years (R&R Circus, 40 Licks, Grrr, Charlie is My Darling, Ya Yas box set etc) and as far as I'm aware UMG are the parent company for ABKCO outside of the US -  I'm assuming that this new release will be on UMG even though the Stones' five year deal with that label has now actually expired.

I also think this is likely to be less of an issue in coming years. I mentioned on the Dylan thread today about another release for the 'Copyright Extension Collection' (which relates to officially releasing known recordings before the 50-year copyright expires, and therefore preventing them from becoming public domain recordings). This has happened with Dylan's recordings from 1961-64, The Beatles have done something similar and it can only be a matter of time surely before ABKCO and/or UMG are obliged to do something regarding the Stones.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:36am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:28pm:
Some interesting info on why big '60s artists need to release more from the vaults, business-wise.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-bob-dylan-box-sets/

For some reason (probably my shitty work computer) I'm only getting a black screen for this link. Can anyone copy and paste the article?

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #20 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 8:08am
One of the great thrills of collecting music is getting a hold of some previously unreleased material by a favorite artist. And thanks to a revision in European law, Bob Dylan, the Beatles and other classic rock artists have been put in a position where they have to open their vaults to the public.

In 2012, the European Union extended copyrights on recordings from 50 to 70 years. However, the law came with a provision that copyrighted material had to be released within 50 years or else the songs would enter the public domain. Last year, Dylan and the Beatles, without much publicity, put out collections in order to retain their copyrights.

And they’re about to do it again. The New York Times reported that Dylan is expected to drop a nine-disc set of rare material from 1964. This is believed to include television performances, outtakes from ‘Another Side of Bob Dylan‘ and three sides worth of home recordings he did with Eric Von Schmidt, another member of the New York folk scene.

The Beatles have yet to announce if they will do anything special but, last week, the Beach Boys dropped a pair of albums. ‘Keep an Eye on Summer: The Beach Boys Sessions 1964′ is comprised of outtakes, alternate mixes and BBC recordings, while ‘The Beach Boys Live in Sacramento 1964′ contains two concerts.

So You Think You Know the Beatles?

See Bob Dylan’s and Other Rockers’ Yearbook Photos

Bob Dylan

Image 52 of 202Dave Hogan, Getty Images
Next: Top 10 Beatles Bootleg Albums

Filed Under: Bob Dylan, The Beatles Category: News
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
More
Leave a comment

Best of the Web

In Defense Of The New 'Star Wars' Lightsaber

11 Actors Everyone Hates Working With

The Easter Egg You Probably Missed in the 'Star Wars' Teaser

5 Things You Missed From The New 'Star Wars' Trailer

10 Great Movies Ruined By Awful Endings

10 Greatest Banned Movie Posters Of All-Time

20 Movies That Were A Total Waste Of Time

'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Teaser Unveiled
More From Around the Web
Leave a Comment

Top 100 Classic Rock Songs
The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Songs

LATEST ARTICLES
2014 Holiday Gift Guide: Box Sets
FEATURED
2014 Box Sets Holiday Gift Guide
November 24, 2014 8:46 AM
John Lennon
34 Years Ago: John Lennon Murdered
December 8, 2014 8:34 AM
YouTube
11 Years Ago: Ozzy Osbourne Nearly Dies in ATV Accident
December 8, 2014 6:23 AM
Ted Nugent Sarah Palin
Nugent / Palin 2016? Rocker, Politician Meet in Texas
December 7, 2014 10:57 PM

Read More: Why The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Other Rock Legends Must Release New Box Sets Every Year | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-bob-dylan-box-sets/?trackback=tsmclip

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 8:43am
"  John Lennon
34 Years Ago: John Lennon Murdered
December 8, 2014 8:34 AM
YouTube  "

That was a Very Sad day .  One of the worst .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 8:57am
A reissue of sticky...
makes things quite sticky in my pants
Any news on the extremely limited chinese numered edition, with back stage pass replica?

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #23 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 9:40am
any chance we will get a plundered type nugget that knocks our socks off?

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #24 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 11:51am
Gazza wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:35am:
Meander away! We should do it more often.

I think 'Beggars' is seen as more of a separate entity than the three albums that succeeded it (no changing line up, all new songs, all recorded in a relatively short time frame), but I take your point. 'Sister Morphine' originates from these sessions, after all (although the version on SF dates from an early 'Let It Bleed' session).

I dont think there's much of a problem with ABKCO anymore. Jody Klein himself even specifically stated this in an interview in IORR magazine a few years back.

There's been a huge amount of co-operation on archive releases in recent years (R&R Circus, 40 Licks, Grrr, Charlie is My Darling, Ya Yas box set etc) and as far as I'm aware UMG are the parent company for ABKCO outside of the US -  I'm assuming that this new release will be on UMG even though the Stones' five year deal with that label has now actually expired.

I also think this is likely to be less of an issue in coming years. I mentioned on the Dylan thread today about another release for the 'Copyright Extension Collection' (which relates to officially releasing known recordings before the 50-year copyright expires, and therefore preventing them from becoming public domain recordings). This has happened with Dylan's recordings from 1961-64, The Beatles have done something similar and it can only be a matter of time surely before ABKCO and/or UMG are obliged to do something regarding the Stones.

Meander I shall!
Weren't Midnight Rambler and You Got the Silver also from those BB Olympic sessions? Brian was credited with percussion on Rambler and autoharp on Silver...

Thanks for clearing up the Klein stuff. I'd thought there were still problems or bad blood.

So why no ABCKO-era expanded releases? You'd think, since 2002, that Stones Inc. would be all over a Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed release. Those would surely sell as well (and to the same people) as Exile and Some Girls. Lots of potential stuff there:
original Memo From Turner (perfect as is)
Blood Red Wine (kind of weak)
Stuck Out All Alone (also a bit week)
Jagger's You Got the Silver (perfect as is, and quite revealing and maybe of good curiosity value to casual fans as the band's been playing the song regularly in recent years)
Keith's Gimme Shelter (that's one I actually wouldn't mind a new vocal overdub on. Again - good curiosity value)
Maybe clean up Did Everybody Pay Their Dues? (more curiosity value).
And of course Still A Fool.

Can't suss out whether these copyright extensions apply to unreleased stuff (as in unknown material), alt versions, covers, what all.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2014 at 11:53am by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)