Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 313,812 times)
MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #725 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:36am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
ijwthstd wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 8:02pm:
A Quick One - I'd like to see any band pull that off.

Green Day played an incredible version of A Quick One as a bonus track on 21st Century Breakdown in 2009, the deluxe edition.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #726 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 7:19am
Gazza wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:30am:
How has Daltrey's voice been, Jizzy?

He sounded superb in December, not so great last Tuesday.  He glided through some songs to be able to hit the notes on others.  He did pull off a perfect "Won't Get Fooled Again", but the price was him taking it easy on other songs or letting the crowd take some verses on some songs.  Still a microphone-twirling rock-god presence, but try to see them earlier in their tour before Roger's voice gets weaker.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #727 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 7:49am
"   Still a microphone-twirling rock-god presence, but try to see them earlier in their tour before Roger's voice gets weaker.  "

<  ------------- Rog sounds a lot better now than he did in 2006 / 2007 .  Still , next tour the band should play " Lifehouse " as it was originally intended instead of Quadrophenia  . Word .

'kins ®

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #728 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 7:39am
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/04/pete-townshend-apologises-swearing-w...

" The grumpy moment took place on 19 February, during the Who's concert in Hamilton, Ontario. According to the Toronto Sun (via NME), 50-year-old Eric Costello's daughter was sat on her father's shoulders waving a placard that said "Smash Your Guitar, Pete!" But as is made clear in a fan's video, the kid was not all right. Something about the scene made Townshend furious. "Don't wave that sign," the guitarist said, on the microphone. "[And] don't bring your children … I want to tell you two words, but I can't because you have a child on you." He then mouthed the words "fuck off".

" Seven Year Old Children should NOT be at a Rock Show Ronnie !!!!!!  "

'kins

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #729 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:41am
MRD8 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:36am:
ijwthstd wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 8:02pm:
A Quick One - I'd like to see any band pull that off.

Green Day played an incredible version of A Quick One as a bonus track on 21st Century Breakdown in 2009, the deluxe edition.

Don't tell that to John Lydon (LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPem6_duMA

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #730 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 9:51am
http://thewho.com/story/full-moon-rising-wilkerson-on-butler-on-moon/

" Butler left Moon’s employ in late 1977, when an opportunity arose for him to work with filmmaker Jeff Stein, who was working on Who biopic The Kids Are Alright at the time.  “When I left Keith, he was in his beach house, living next door to Steve McQueen in Trancas, just up the coast from Malibu, and it was just getting out of order.  For some reason, Keith attracted all the wrong elements of the LA set, and the drug situation was getting beyond a joke, and that was the first time we had an almighty punch-up ever.  And I just said Keith, I’m out of here mate.  I said if you don’t get yourself together, you ain’t going to be here .  And I just left.  I rang Bill Curbishley up, the Who’s manager, I said Bill, get him home.  I said if you don’t he’s gonna be dead within nine months guaranteed.  I said I can’t take it any more…  Get him home.  And it took about a few months, but anyway we got him home.  …The unfortunate part about it is we became best buddies.  And sometimes that’s not necessarily a good omen to working together if you understand what I mean?”

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #731 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 10:58am
lotsajizz wrote on Mar 4th, 2013 at 7:19am:
Gazza wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:30am:
How has Daltrey's voice been, Jizzy?

He sounded superb in December, not so great last Tuesday.  He glided through some songs to be able to hit the notes on others.  He did pull off a perfect "Won't Get Fooled Again", but the price was him taking it easy on other songs or letting the crowd take some verses on some songs.  Still a microphone-twirling rock-god presence, but try to see them earlier in their tour before Roger's voice gets weaker.

Thanks. We're the second date of the June tour and they have a day off between Dublin and Belfast so hopefully that'll work out OK.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #732 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 5:32pm
It should.  I think they over-schedule within a tour.  It appears that Mick may be taking note.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2013 at 5:37pm by lotsajizz »  

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #733 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #734 - May 19th, 2013 at 11:16pm

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #735 - May 20th, 2013 at 6:57am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNP2jxAdpk8

Great Find .

Thanks S.C.L. !!!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #736 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:23am

<    ------ How was the concert Gazza  ?! ... !!!!!   :

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/music/whoe-legends-play-a-stormer-29333540.ht...

" Chris Wasser – 10 June 2013 02:30 PM

"Roger is allergic to smoke and would greatly appreciate if you could stick to brownies."

Good man, Daltrey. Or might that have been Pete Townshend that decided on such a witty pre-concert message? It doesn't matter. The lights are down. Both men are in place, surrounded, as always, by a gang of well-oiled supporting players. The sea swells (so that's what those enormous, circular screens are for), Townshend throws on his shades, and we're off.

Lest we forget, tonight is all about The Who's 1973 rock opera, Quadrophenia. 81 minutes on record, 100 in a live setting. At least, that's how they play it in 2013. And it does go on a bit. Call it a bad day at the seaside; a musical tale of Jimmy and his 'friends' struggling to find The Real Me. Call it an entertaining exercise in prog rock. Whatever you call it, it's a testament to Townshend and Daltrey's skills as both showmen and musicians that they just about manage to paper over the cracks to deliver a storming rendition of one of their most recognised works. With more than a little help from their friends, of course.

Townshend (68) and Daltrey (69) are never far from each other's side, yet both men have different ideas about how to keep an audience entertained.

Stunning

A brilliant guitarist, Townshend still waves that right arm of his around and around, making like a teenager and shaking his behind. Roger – still a phenomenal rock vocalist – prefers to keep it, er, cool, popping his shirt buttons and dancing like your granddad. But in a good way.

The aforementioned screens present a visual history of time in and out of The Who since the British band formed in the mid-Sixties. It's great to watch.

Most effective, though, is a stunning clip of the late John Entwistle on bass during the sublime 5.15. It's one of the finest 'live' moments of the year. The trick is then repeated in tribute to drummer Keith Moon on Bell Boy.

And then there is the curtain call. Townshend acknowledges how tricky it is to get Quadrophenia right. They're still practising. "But the stuff coming up now," he smiles, "we don't need to practise."

Cue an encore that includes Baba O'Riley and the outstanding Pinball Wizard. Wonderful stuff.  "

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:49am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #737 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Utterly outstanding performance last night. The Who's first show in Belfast since July 1967!

Quadrophenia was just perfect and was followed by a 6-song encore (Who are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, Wont Get Fooled Again and Tea & Theatre).

Posted a shitload of photos on facebook for anyone who's interested (you'd need to have friended me to view 'em though)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.624825947530539.1073741827.100000094179...

If anyone is going to the upcoming shows, arrive early enough to see the opening act, Vintage Trouble. They're outstanding.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2013 at 4:32pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #738 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 9:49am

" If anyone is going to the upcoming shows, arrive early enough to see the opening act, Vintage Trouble. They're outstanding. "

http://thewho.com/story/the-who-at-o2-london-theyre-the-one/

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #739 - Oct 26th, 2013 at 9:07am
http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=807795

" The Who ‘Going Mobile’ For The Last Time?  "

" The Who’s Pete Townshend told reporters in London this week that the band would celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015 with a global tour before putting its Magic Bus up on blocks … forever.

Townshend talked about the band’s final hoorah while he and Who frontman Roger Daltrey were at a screening of the rock doc “Sensation – The Story Of The Who’s Tommy,” reports the Evening Standard.

“For the 50th anniversary we’ll tour the world,” Townshend said.  “It’ll be the last big one for us.  There are still plenty of places we’ve not played. It would be good to go to eastern Europe and places that haven’t heard us play all the old hits.”

We wouldn’t blame you if Pete’s words give you a slight feeling of déjà vu.  The Who’s 1982 outing was supposed to be the band’s swan song.  But less than 36 months after that tour’s final stop the band performed on “Live Aid.”  Four years later The Who was back in full force with the 1989 “Tommy” tour.

Townshend and Daltrey are the last surviving original members of The Who.  Drummer Keith Moon died in 1978 after taking an overdose of an anti-alcohol abuse drug.  John Entwistle died in Las Vegas the night before The Who was to launch its 2002 North American tour.  Nevada’s Clark County medical examiner ruled that the bassist died of a heart attack brought on by cocaine usage.  "

Joey Townshend ©
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2013 at 9:08am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #740 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 7:33pm
ROGER DALTREY GETS BEHIND KEITH MOON BIOPIC
by Jeff Giles November 14, 2013 8:49 AM

Jack-Kay, Hulton Archives, Getty Images

It’s long been trapped in development limbo, but it looks like a movie about the wild life and times of Who drummer Keith Moon might finally be heading for theaters — with support and creative input from one of Moon’s former bandmates, no less.

The latest news surrounding the project reveals that a funding arrangement is in the works, along with a working relationship between Roger Daltrey and the production company’s CEO. As Daltrey put it in a statement, “The Keith Moon project is one close to my heart, so I am excited to reinvigorate it.” And if you’re worried that Daltrey’s involvement means the movie will offer a sanitized treatment of Moon’s infamously hard-partying lifestyle, don’t be; according to reports, the goal is actually to focus on the more irresponsible facets of his behavior.

A Moon biopic has been bandied about for years, and although funding has proven elusive until now, that hasn’t stopped actors from daydreaming about playing the legendary drummer; in fact, ‘Entourage’ star Jeremy Piven publicly lobbied for the part just a couple of years ago.

There’s no word yet on who the filmmakers have in mind to portray Moon, or any idea of how the film might deal with his untimely death, but with Daltrey on board, things seem to be off to a pretty good start. As one executive connected with the project told reporters, “I am a massive Who fan and consider Keith Moon to be the greatest rock drummer of all time. I could feel Roger’s passion and detailed perspective for this unique story after our first phone call.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-moon-biopic/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #741 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 5:50pm

" Pete Townshend walks out of Howard Stern interview "

" Published on Nov 22, 2013 

Pete Townshend storms out of a scheduled interview on the Howard Stern Show, leaving Howard to Interview an irritable Roger Daltrey.  "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zix-_4iZejs

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2013 at 5:51pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #742 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 9:57pm
Joey wrote on Dec 1st, 2013 at 5:50pm:
" Pete Townshend walks out of Howard Stern interview "

" Published on Nov 22, 2013 

Pete Townshend storms out of a scheduled interview on the Howard Stern Show, leaving Howard to Interview an irritable Roger Daltrey.  "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zix-_4iZejs

Howard Stern sucks ass!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #743 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 11:35am
Roger Daltrey says he will reunite with Pete Townshend this year to make a new Who album.

Speaking to NME as he announced the line-up for this March's annual series of Teenage Cancer Trust gigs, curated by Daltrey, he revealed that Townshend has been working on new material.
"Pete's got hundreds of songs," he said. "so the only question is whether we get around to it, but he wants to make an album and I'm always ready and raring to go. We'll see. I never know what I'm doing next, it's about what comes through my letterbox tomorrow, but I don't see why we wouldn't. My voice is still in good shape. The hearing isn't so great, but the voice is fine."
The album would be The Who's first studio album since 2006's Endless Wire. Daltrey, who has curated the Teenage Cancer Trust's annual concerts at the Royal Albert Hall since 2000, said he and Townshend won't be performing at the gigs this year as they have done during the past 14 years. Asked if the gap in the schedule on Friday March 29 could be a slot for them, he said: "No, it's definitely not us. We have someone, but we can't announced them until this band has announced something else first."
He did, however, say he may take to the stage with former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson, with whom he's recently recorded an album. He said: "It's a tricky one. Wilko and I have got a show on February 25, but as I'm sure you know Wilko has terminal pancreatic cancer so we can't make plans for things like that. His tumour is like a grapefruit and getting bigger by the day, but I will say if he's still with us, and let's hope he is, we will do something. It'll only be a quick support slot, but we'll be there."
Of the pair's album, Going Back Home which will be released on March 10, Daltrey said: "We’ve been trying to make this album for about four years and it kept not happening for one reason or another, but when he was diagnosed, I said 'Wilko, whatever you want me to sing, let's do it'. And it's a great record, really good songs, and it was fabulous making it, so refreshing. It's going back to what I did in the early 60s with fast, three-minute R&B songs. No bullshit, just good songs."
Asked if he will mark The Who's 50th anniversary, Daltrey said: "I don't know. Possibly it'll be this album. I haven't thought about it, to be honest. We didn't think it was going to last the week, let alone 50 years. We were The Who, we used to break up after every show."
The Cure are among the line-up for the run of gigs in March. They last played for the Teenage Cancer Trust in 2006, although getting them back wasn't an easy task. "Robert Smith doesn't answer his emails!" joked Daltrey. "He's hard to get hold of, but I remember them playing in 2006 and they did a three-hour set which was just magical. Robert lives round the corner from me, although I've never seen him, nor have his neighbours. I think he must only come out at night."

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/roger-daltrey-says-the-who-will-make-a-new-album-this-yea...

... ... ...
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #744 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 3:13pm
perhaps they will revisit their instant classic "unholy trinity" from 2006 release and give it an update......

developing

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #745 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Reunite? Did they break up for the 25th time?  War horses couldn't drag me away

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #746 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:43pm
STUPID HEADLINE..THEY ARE NO CLOSER TO DOING ANYTHING NEW.
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO "FLOSS" JOSEF?

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #747 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:45pm
WATCHED QUADROPHENIA DOCU TONIGHT.
WHEN ROGER WAS ASKED WHAT KEITH WAS LIKE IN IN 1973,HE REPLIED "JUST A LITTLE BIT DRUNKER THAN 1972."
ROFLMAOFFFFFFFFFF!!!!

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #748 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 11:51pm
I prefer a "new Who album" than nothing at all.

Come on Stones, give us something.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #749 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 3:43pm
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2014 at 4:14pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)