Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Keith News (Read 50,750 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Keith News
Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Keith Richards Helps Save Angel Radio

Bev Webster
August 31, 2011

Angel Radio Isle of Wight, the Island’s first community radio station, is back on air full time thanks to wonderfully generous listeners and Rolling Stones Keith Richards who sent donations to help pay for a new receiver to replace the old one which was burnt out due to a lightning strike at their mast site.

£3,000 cheque from Rolling Stone, Keith Richards

Chris Gutteridge, owner/manager of Angel Radio Isle of Wight said, “It seems that someone else also heard of our plight – none other than Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones who very kindly sent us a cheque for £3,000! We have no idea how he became aware that we were in need of funds- perhaps he listens to us on the internet!”

“Thanks to the generosity of our listeners and Mr Keith Richards we now have enough to cover the repair to our equipment and almost enough to cover next year’s licences as well. This is a huge help to Angel Radio Isle of Wight and means we will be able to continue to play our unique selection of music from 1900 – 1969 for at least another year without having to worry where the next licence fee is coming from. It proves that Angel has the very best listeners!” said Chris.

ventnorblog.com

Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:30pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Keith News
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:26pm

Alexandra Richards buys Rolling Stones dad Keith an Apple iPad for Father's Day

The Daily Telegraph
September 01, 2011

CONSIDERING he has never owned a mobile phone or had an email address, giving rock royalty Keith Richards an iPad for Father's Day was a risk his daughter was willing to take.

Alexandra Richards, the second child of the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist and model Patti Hansen, took the punt this year of trying to introduce her old man to technology.

"It's amazing that someone that is so a part of this world is out of this world," the blonde told Confidential last night at the Diesel Island Fashion Event.

"He doesn't have a cell phone, he still sends faxes - he's so out of touch. But he's always there when I need him. It's so strange to me and probably everyone because I can't be without my Blackberry for 10 seconds. My whole life is in that thing."

So what did Dad make of the Apple tablet computer?

"He loves it, I think he's addicted," she said.

"He loves playing chess and the applause that sounds when he wins."

dailytelegraph.com.au

Keith's got hisself a connection...wireless.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:27pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:27pm
That's great that Keef is doing that, he has a generous side to him, the station only plays music from 1900 to 1969, sounds good to me, I never heard of it, but then I don't live in that side of the world.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:52pm
Very cool. You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 4:45pm
Nice posts.  Thank you!

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 8:30pm
I think that is GREAT !!!  Let's go get drunk

You Go DUDE - Keith Richards   Cool

[don't it feel good?]

Maybe Warren Buffett has had an affect on some of these zillionaires.
Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 7:02am

Imagining the Rolling Stones Without Keith Richards

August 31, 2011, 3:40 pm
By BEN RATLIFF

Today in The New York Times Janet Maslin reviews Marc Spitz’s new book, “Jagger: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue.” She liked the book, and so do I. It argues against the prevailing and increasingly boring theory that Keith Richards is the Stones’ main claim to authenticity, the soul of the band, the principal force of their sound and songcraft, and that Mick Jagger is a shallow socialite poseur. If you were persuaded by Keith Richards’ strong attitudes in his memoir, “Life” — which has sold a million copies worldwide in under a year, according to a recent statement by its American publisher — you may believe in this theory yourself.

I understand that Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards have been writing songs together since 1964. I like the way Mr. Richards has worked with the other guitarists in the Stones, and I like that when their gigs are flagging he turns his back on the audience, places himself in front of Charlie Watts’s bass drum and bears down on the groove. But sometimes I imagine a fantasy version of the Stones in which Keith Richards is not a member.

Mr. Spitz’s book doesn’t go too far into it, but there are a number of Stones songs allegedly written entirely — words and music — by Mick Jagger alone, or with other people who are not Keith Richards, or with minimal input from Keith Richards. They are not trifles: they’re among the Stones’ greatest, an alternate canon.

For amusement, here’s at least a partial list, an album’s worth.

Much of the information comes from Jann Wenner’s interview with Mr. Jagger, published in Rolling Stone in 1995. Other sources include Mr. Richards’ Life; a 2001 book of interviews with the band members, compiled by Dora Loewenstein and Philip Dodd, called “According to the Rolling Stones”; timeisonourside.com, which compiles various band members’ public comments about every track the Stones recorded; and the database compiled by the Swiss researcher Felix Aeppli, online at aeppli.ch.

* “Yesterday’s Papers” (Mr. Jagger, in Wenner interview: “The first song I ever wrote completely on my own for a Rolling Stones record.”)
  * “Sympathy for the Devil” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts that he wrote it himself, and Mr. Richards suggested it be played in “another rhythm.”)
  * “Street Fighting Man” (Wenner interview: “I wrote a lot of the melody and all the words, and Keith and I sat around and made this wonderful track…”)
  * “Brown Sugar” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts that he wrote it all.)
  * “Moonlight Mile” and “Sway” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts that he wrote both with the guitarist Mick Taylor; in Life, p. 283, Mr. Richards concedes that "Moonlight Mile was all Mick’s.”)
  * “Star Star” and “100 Years Ago” (according to Mr. Taylor’s and Mr. Richards’ comments quoted at timeisonourside.com)
  * “It’s Only Rock and Roll” (“Life,” p. 369)
  * “Miss You” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts he wrote it with Billy Preston)
  * “Some Girls,” “Respectable,” “Lies,” “When the Whip Comes Down” (Wenner interview)
  * “Emotional Rescue” (written mostly by Mr. Jagger with Charlie Watts and Ron Wood, according to timeisonourside.com)

The New York Times

Reached for comment, Mr. Richards was brief:

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2011 at 7:34am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 8:54am
50 years later people are arguing whether is Mick's band or Keith's band. Ughhh. Just to sell some more crappy books. Shit!

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 2:45pm
Good on Keith, I say. It was a thoughtful gesture.

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 3:39pm
I have always had this feeling that Jaggers part in the songwriting was more important than Keith's part. It's absolutely not my intention to put down Keith, he too has written amazing songs, but mostly with Mick. I guess if the Stones would sound like the New Barbarians, they would never have been as big as they are today. Imo it was the same with Lennon/McCartney, In the Beatles Paul was the better songwriter, but solo I think Lennon wrote the best songs. What do you guys think??

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 5:16pm
Mick wrote also Let's Spend TNT, one of my favorite Stones rockers in the 60's, while Keith wrote the beautiful Ruby T., I think it's 50/50 with Jagger/Richards same with Lennon/Macca.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 5:24pm
Good on Keith for supporting community radio!

Really?  The Mick/Keith conversation again? Oh no! not you again
Keith wrote - Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Gimme Shelter and Beast of Burden...to name a few.

The Stones without Keith by 1966 are just another British pop band.  I don't see Mick and Brian ever teaming up. 

The Stones without Mick are a blues band with no dynamic lead singer to make the girlies scream.  In the early '60's that was very important, so chances are again by '66 they are going nowhere.

They contribute equally to the image and sound of the band.  Next question?  Wink Grin The real Rolling Stones tongue

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 6:21pm
Folks debate the Mick/Keith writing contributions to songs and The Rolling Stones albums. In my opinion, I'm sure it is not a 50-50 affair in every song. However, they are a needed combination, even if one happens to write most of a tune (or all of it).

They are strongest, and the bulk of the material that was classic was when they were either writing individually for a Stones project with the other in mind, or writing together. They do their best work when they are writing for a Stones project or when they are "writing together", even if one is only there for support. It is a team, a partnership.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 8:30pm
i always thought IORR was a Ronnie song that Mick pinched.

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:28pm
"  What do you guys think ??   "

...   !!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 10:24pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:21pm:
Keith Richards Helps Save Angel Radio

Bev Webster
August 31, 2011

Angel Radio Isle of Wight, the Island’s first community radio station, is back on air full time thanks to wonderfully generous listeners and Rolling Stones Keith Richards who sent donations to help pay for a new receiver to replace the old one which was burnt out due to a lightning strike at their mast site.

£3,000 cheque from Rolling Stone, Keith Richards

That was very nice and generous of him!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:40am
Keith plays chess? did anyone else know this?

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 4:14am
Pdog wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:40am:

I "suspected" he knew a little bit about the game because I have heard him mention a few of the pieces in interviews... such as saying things like oh..."we were just pawns" ...or... "the Queen was the strongest piece but it is the king that decided the game"... etc. etc.  Not verbatim, but I have heard him say things along these lines. Since I am a chess fan myself, I always took note of this and wondered.

Speaking of his ipad... I wonder if he does coke on it? ... hahahahahaha Or possibly, theres an app to assist you in this task..hahahaha.

Ian

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:12am

He always has....we've been his pawns for years..........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:22am
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 4:14am:

I "suspected" he knew a little bit about the game because I have heard him mention a few of the pieces in interviews... such as saying things like oh..."we were just pawns" ...or... "the Queen was the strongest piece but it is the king that decided the game"... etc. etc.  Not verbatim, but I have heard him say things along these lines. Since I am a chess fan myself, I always took note of this and wondered.

Using common parlance is hardly a criteria for suggesting he plays the game.

He does seem to have a problem with one of his friends becoming a Knight, it has to be said....plus most of his earliest musical influences were on Chess .....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:32am
Deathgod wrote on Sep 1st, 2011 at 8:30pm:

Mick and Ronnie collaborated on 'IORR' and 'I Can Feel The Fire' around the same time when they were working on Ronnie's solo debut. They agreed that Mick would take IORR for the Stones (and the songwriting credit) and Ronnie would be credited as the sole writer of ICFTF for his first solo album. (Obviously, IORR ended up credited to 'Jagger-Richards' as Mick and Keith ALWAYS have their Stones songs credited this way, even if one of them didnt write a note of it - Ronnie merely got an 'Inspiration by Ron Wood' credit, which sounds nice on the face of it but means 'zero' in terms of royalties')

A classic example of Ronnie making a business decision which saw him missing out on a fortune. Not the last time that happened!

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:00pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:32am:

Mick and Ronnie collaborated on 'IORR' and 'I Can Feel The Fire' around the same time when they were working on Ronnie's solo debut. They agreed that Mick would take IORR for the Stones (and the songwriting credit) and Ronnie would be credited as the sole writer of ICFTF for his first solo album. (Obviously, IORR ended up credited to 'Jagger-Richards' as Mick and Keith ALWAYS have their Stones songs credited this way, even if one of them didnt write a note of it - Ronnie merely got an 'Inspiration by Ron Wood' credit, which sounds nice on the face of it but means 'zero' in terms of royalties')

A classic example of Ronnie making a business decision which saw him missing out on a fortune. Not the last time that happened!

Indeed....yet without Keith and Mick's presence Ronnie may not have had such a strong first solo record even though sales were low I'm sure...........

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:46pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:22am:

I "suspected" he knew a little bit about the game because I have heard him mention a few of the pieces in interviews... such as saying things like oh..."we were just pawns" ...or... "the Queen was the strongest piece but it is the king that decided the game"... etc. etc.  Not verbatim, but I have heard him say things along these lines. Since I am a chess fan myself, I always took note of this and wondered.

He does seem to have a problem with one of his friends becoming a Knight, it has to be said....plus most of his earliest musical influences were on Chess .....

True, in the US tons of folks use sports references when talking, who know nothing or care little for the games themselves! Who hasn't ever said check mate in a conversation?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:48pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 7:32am:

but if he had tried getting paid early on, he might never have been asked to play and eventaully join the band either...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 11:42pm
Keith Richards is cool.

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Pdog wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:46pm:

True, in the US tons of folks use sports references when talking, who know nothing or care little for the games themselves! Who hasn't ever said check mate in a conversation?

I may be an oddball, but I don't believe I have ever used the term 'checkmate' in conversation.  Same is true with 'king me'.    I will be on the lookout for future opportunities.  Smiley  Until then I'll stick with 'gotcha' and call it good.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2011 at 5:20pm by Ginda »  

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #26 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 5:32pm

2011 GQ Men Of The Year Awards, Royal Opera House, London 9/6:

Bauer Griffin

Getty Images
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011 at 5:57pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 5:36pm

Getty Images

Keith looks great, and Patti's radiant as ever...
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:03pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #28 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 7:21pm

Getty Images

A little accessorizing on the schmatte...

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011 at 7:25pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #29 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:39pm
The above are from the arrivals, now some from the ceremony and the after party courtesy of moy and the authors are Dave Benett, Chris Jackson, and Mike Marsland with thanks to moy

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:42pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #30 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:43pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:43pm

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 4:58am
Congratulations Keith!!!!!!!!!!
Great to see him looking so happy and does Patti just get better with age or what????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

luxury
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:47am
didnt Keith once call Mick's knighthood "a paltry honor"?  I wonder what he considers these trinkets he's been picking up of late...

&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:57am
He looks well. Mrs Richards looks fantastic.

Great pic of Keith with Boris Johnson (the Mayor of London, for those of you who dont know him)

He's as mad as a box of frogs. Would have loved to have been eavesdropping on that conversation.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:00am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #35 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:05am
Rolling Stone Keith Richards wins GQ Writer of the Year award

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
10:15PM BST 06 Sep 2011

Rolling Stone Keith Richards was named Writer of the Year at the GQ Men of the Year Awards for his autobiography, Life, and disclosed that it is being made into a film.

Link to this video

The problem, he said, will be finding an actor who can portray him on screen.

“There are feelers out at the minute [but] I’m in no rush right at the moment. Also, how are they going to find me? The idea of a succession of Keith Richards coming down is horrifying,” he said.

The award was presented by Johnny Depp, who would be the frontrunner to play Richards in any biopic. Depp famously used the Stones guitarist as inspiration for his Captain Jack Sparrow character in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Richards’ autobiography won high praise when it was first published last year. It recounts his debauched adventures in rock’n’roll.

Richards was among the famous faces who attended the awards ceremony at the Royal Opera House.

George Osborne received the Politician of the Year award but avoided a potentially awkward encounter. Peter Mandelson was due to hand out the prize but Mr Osborne’s office refused to allow it, sourced said. Dylan Jones, GQ’s editor, stepped in as a last-minute replacement.

Hugh Laurie was named Musician of the Year for his new sideline as a blues artist. Other winners included golfer Rory McIlroy as Sportsman of the Year, Rob Brydon as Comedian of the Year, Sherlock’s Benedict Cumberbatch as Actor of the Year, Professor Brian Cox as TV Personality of the Year and Doctor Who’s Matt Smith as Most Stylish Man of the Year.

Special awards went to Bill Nighy, Sir Trevor Nunn and Olympics 2012 chief Lord Coe.

Woman of the Year was Lara Stone, the model. Other women who attended the ceremony included Emma Watson, who was there to present an award to photographer Mario Testino.

Full list of GQ Men of the Year winners:

Comedian - Rob Brydon

Solo Artist – Tinie Tempah

Chef – Heston Blumenthal

Politician – George Osborne

Most Stylish Man – Matt Smith

Sportsman – Rory McIlroy

Designer – Tommy Hilfiger

Woman of the Year – Lara Stone

Actor of the Year – Benedict Cumberbatch

Musician of the Year – Hugh Laurie

TV Personality – Brian Cox

Inspiration – Mario Testino

Editor’s Special – Bill Nighy

Lifetime Achievement – Duran Duran

Man of Next Year Surprise Award – Lord Coe

Alfred Dunhill Cultural Icon –Sir Trevor Nunn

International Man of the Year – Bradley Cooper

Band of the Year – U2

Writer of the Year – Keith Richards

The Armed Forces Special Award was shared by a number of ex-servicement who have been assisted by Help for Heroes.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:08am

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:00am

Thanks, moy. Coupla funny quips...and that phlegmy rasp.

More from last night:

WireImage

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:22am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:04am

WireImage

Maybe Keith'll meet up with another friend or two at the 606 Club...
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:40am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #39 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 10:58am
Patti looks great. I hope Keith doesn't break his arm patting himself on the back accepting all these awards.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #40 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 3:17pm
Wonderful pictures. Keith and Patti are just glowing at the moment. It's fairly obvious that Mr Richards is now taking better care of himself.  Smiley

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #41 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 3:37pm
luxury wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:47am:
didnt Keith once call Mick's knighthood "a paltry honor"?  I wonder what he considers these trinkets he's been picking up of late...

Doorstops is what Mick would call them. The real Rolling Stones tongue

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #42 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 5:30pm

British GQ

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #43 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:13pm
I'm getting really confused. Am I really the only one here who thinks Keith is looking and acting like a clown. Showing up on these ridiculous jetset party's and receiving ridiculous awards. Always smiling and laughing stupid. For God's sake, he didn't write a book, someone else did it for him. He has become the man he accuses Jagger to be already for a long time. I understand that at his age you can't rock anymore like you used to, but please, grow old gracefully, trying to make some good music and not end like Elvis in Vegas.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:34pm

Ronnie's hobnobbed with the glitterati and picked up his share of swag recently, too.

Just sayin'...

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:59pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #45 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:35pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:13pm:
I'm getting really confused. Am I really the only one here who thinks Keith is looking and acting like a clown. Showing up on these ridiculous jetset party's and receiving ridiculous awards. Always smiling and laughing stupid. For God's sake, he didn't write a book, someone else did it for him. He has become the man he accuses Jagger to be already for a long time. I understand that at his age you can't rock anymore like you used to, but please, grow old gracefully, trying to make some good music and not end like Elvis in Vegas.

Smiley Doo'h

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #46 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:13pm:
I understand that at his age you can't rock anymore like you used to, but please, grow old gracefully, trying to make some good music and not end like Elvis in Vegas.

"Whatever you do, don't try and grow old gracefully; it wouldn't suit you."--Pete Townshend inducting Rolling Stones into R'n'R Hall of Fame (1989)
Don't suck my cock

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #47 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:33pm

We got a new emoticon here ??  Blank Frigging Stare

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #48 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 7:37pm

Getty Images

U Who? Keith Richards (l) shows Paul Hewson "The Claw" - GQ Awards, London Sept. 6 2011  
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:12pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #49 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:02pm
Wink 

SWEET

what about the face on the side
  Smiley You rock!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #50 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Whatever awards KEEF gets it's cool that he accepts happily, and why the fvck not? KEEF's worked his whole life in the spotlight, and it's nice to feel appreciated and be recocnized by your peers (even if what he wrote about MICK in the book sucked)! I'm happy for him & Patti, she's been an awesome wife and an asset to KEEF. Good on ya, KEEF! So did he get new teeth?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #51 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:21pm

When GQ.com met Keith Richards

By Jamie Millar

Keith Richards is the all-time definitive rock star so perhaps it's not that surprising that in Life he produced the all-time definitive rock memoir - even if he'd never previously written anything longer than a song. (Although as Rob Brydon said to us earlier in the evening, "Imagine if he'd really let his hair down how exciting it would have been.") GQ.com had a brief audience with Keef on the red carpet, before he received Writer Of The Year from Johnny Depp and Sir Tom Stoppard:

GQ.com: Keith, welcome to the GQ Men Of The Year awards. Are you excited to be here?
Keith Richards: Yeah, man. I flew over especially.

Are you jetlagged?
[Sincerely] I don't even know any more... [laughs]

How does it feel to sell a million copies of your book?
Surprising. I wish I could sell that many records. [cackles]

You've produced your own riff on black tie this evening. When was the last time you wore a tie?
I don't know. Probably the last time I was in court.

If you had to choose a Man Of The Year, who would it be and why?
[Thinks about it briefly] Mick. Better say Mick. [grins]

Click to watch Johnny Depp and Sir Tom Stoppard present to Keith Richards.

GQ.com

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:06am

If you had to choose a Man Of The Year, who would it be and why?
[Thinks about it briefly] Mick. Better say Mick. [grins][/size]

Hahaha, someone may be learning his lesson?  Grin

FotiniD  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 2:28pm

Keith Richards: Music isn’t glamorous

http://goo.gl/gcnlB

Keith Richards says life on the road is “a lot of hard slog”.

The Rolling Stones rocker released his autobiography, Life, last year. He detailed the ups and downs of his career and personal life in the book, including his illicit drug use and the death of his son Tara in 1976.

Keith is very honest in the account and insists he never glamorised anything, including life on the road.

“It actually wasn’t a very glamorous life, it was a lot of hard slog, a lot of hard work,” he told GQ magazine. “We were taking care of two hours on the stage and the rest of it; I wouldn’t wish it on anybody.”

Keith found it difficult to talk about losing his son from cot death. The 67-year-old music legend hated having to relive the tragedy while writing.

“I really didn’t want to go through and remember the death of my son. You spend a lot of time trying to bury that kind of sh*t, not bringing it up again. That was the hard one for me, to relieve that. You don’t forget sh*t like that,” he explained.

Keith is famed for his award-winning lyrics. The musician hopes to write again for the Rolling Stones but isn’t sure of the details as yet.

“Yeah, there is talk about that [doing more writing] but basically I want to get the Stones back together and give it one more bash,” he said. “I think they’ve got it in them. But it’s about timing and an awful lot of very careful diplomacy.”

Keith has likened his drug use to changing gears in the past. The star has revealed what gear he feels in nowadays.

“I’m pretty much in neutral,” he said.

http://goo.gl/Ia8eg

Naming Mick his Man Of The Year the night before their recent meeting was some well-timed "careful diplomacy"...
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011 at 2:45pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #54 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 4:27pm
PEACE Keith.

Now how about some POWER Drive !

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #55 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 6:12am

Radio Festival to get a lecture in rock … from Keith Richards?

With Jack Sparrow unavailable, Keith Richards could be free to give the John Peel
Lecture at this year's Radio Festival. Photograph: Dave M Benett/Getty

Plenty to look forward to at this year's Radio Festival, but one thing in particular stands out – a brand new innovation called the John Peel Lecture, which looks likely to open proceedings with a bang. Exactly who will be delivering it remains a closely guarded secret, but John Myers, chief executive of the Radio Academy, the festival's organiser, offers up a giant clue or two on his blog. "As I was growing up, there was one person, one group, one sound that got me through the years. That person, in my view, is one of the world's greatest rock'n'roll artists and he will be giving the John Peel Lecture on the Monday evening revealing his personal view of life and music in honour of the late John Peel." Flipping 'eck, it's Keith Richards … maybe. The festival will run from 31 October to 2 November in its new home of Salford, with a line-up that includes Mark Thompson, the BBC director general, Global Radio head-honcho, Ashley Tabor, and 6 Music DJ Jarvis Cocker. Tune in for more details here …

The Guardian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #56 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 6:20am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 2:28pm:
Keith is famed for his award-winning lyrics. The musician hopes to write again for the Rolling Stones but isn’t sure of the details as yet.

“Yeah, there is talk about that [doing more writing] but basically I want to get the Stones back together and give it one more bash,” he said. “I think they’ve got it in them. But it’s about timing and an awful lot of very careful diplomacy.”

Interesting choice of words from him. And pretty much an acknowledgement (if we were ever in any doubt) that the next time WILL be 'The Last Time'.....

... ... ...
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #57 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:09am

...and new album, not so much.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:06am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #58 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:16am
I have always hoped and believed they would never tour under a Last Time theme......but to boost ticket sales for 2012 or whenever i am not so sure they won't use that ploy. I will feel better when i actually hear of Keith picking up a guitar rather than another "paltry" honor......

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:20am

Feel better...

April 28th

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #60 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:58am
I realize the red carpet interviews are brief, but I'd still love to see Keith take a break from the insincere sounding one-liners.  
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011 at 9:10am by Ginda »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #61 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 1:12pm
Barneys New York Celebrates The Launch Of Hung On U With Patti Hansen
Barneys New York - September 22, 2011
© J. McCarthy with thanks to Moy

Here with Fran Lebowitz

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #62 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 1:13pm

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #63 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:15pm
NYC-tease Rockin

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #64 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:28pm
BTW, for those who are not familiar with "Hung on U with Patti Hansen" check this out

http://www.facebook.com/hungonu

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #65 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 8:37pm

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #66 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 3:34am

Sure I know. I realize it is fairly common for folks to use Chess analogies, even though they may not play or have not really any idea about the game and or it's pieces. It is the universal game in which everyone knows of and are familiar with it's concept so many mention it or compare things to it... even though they may of never played a game in their life. 

Still, I did wonder because once (on VH1 years ago) he seemed to have a knowing glitch in his eye as in he played it before, or grasped the comparison directly, rather than simply rolling an analogy off the tongue. I cannot remember what he said but I remember thinking it is a possibility he knew how to play.

It was simply a hunch of mine that he did know how to play but I always sort of wondered and wanted to know for sure if he did or didn't. I don't know why, but I could imagine him (yep...Keith Richards hehe) having a casual game..

*Your mentions of Knighting and Chess Records ring all too true for Mr. Richards.. hah.

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #67 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 10:43am

More from the Hung On U event:

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2011 at 10:52am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #68 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 10:53am

Bags designed by Keith and Ronnie, being auctioned @ charitybuzz:

... ...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #69 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 11:02am
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2011 at 11:07am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #70 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 1:23pm
I checked out the site - estimated value of each is $1500 with a minimum bid of $350.  Too rich for my blood but great bags for a good cause.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #71 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:06pm
Ginda wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:58am:
I realize the red carpet interviews are brief, but I'd still love to see Keith take a break from the insincere sounding one-liners.  

He's giving Ronnie a run for his money on the social scene these days. What a post Ronnie!!!!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #72 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:39pm
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:17pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #73 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Don't suck my cock

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #74 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:43pm

Doo'h

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #75 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:07pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #76 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:08pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #77 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:10pm
Patti Hansen's daddy (Alfred Hansen) was there, his son in law didn't

Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #78 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 10:17am
Patti's father passed away several years ago.  I think that is her oldest brother, Alfred Jr.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #79 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 4:12pm
That's why I used the  Oh no! not you again emoticon LOL

(now seriously) I thought it was her dad, dude's old

Shit!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #80 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:00pm

With will.i.am last week in NYC:

http://goo.gl/nFF03

me a kieth richards chillin...i ran into him on the random...
w.
-
Google+

___

"...Keith is making his record in New York..."

http://goo.gl/3Nufd
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:56pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #81 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Now this is interesting and supports Ronnie's recent comment.  Wouldn't it be something if Keith and will.i.am did something together too?  Especially in light of Mick's recent involvement.  Hmmmm....the plot thickens.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #82 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Thanks Lefty, but I'm sure the Keith Haters will find fault with this as they do
every other thing he says or does or doesn't do or meant to do..................

Oh no! not you again  Don't suck my cock  Shit!

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #83 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:08pm
I think news on the Keith front is surprisingly good:
http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1413342

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #84 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:34pm
Thanks Lefty, but I'm sure the Keith Haters will find fault with this as they do
every other thing he says or does or doesn't do or meant to do..................

So anybody who dares to critisize Keith now hates him??

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #85 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 5:01pm
Ginda wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:04pm:
Wouldn't it be something if Keith and will.i.am did something together too? Especially in light of Mick's recent involvement.  Hmmmm....the plot thickens.

will.i.am was in another studio recording J Lo's vocals for 'Hard'...the tune that also features Mick.
That might've come up in conversation.  

He's worked with the Stones before, on a remix of 'Rain Fall Down'. Pretty good one, too.      

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #86 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Ginda wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:04pm:
 Wouldn't it be something if Keith and will.i.am did something together too?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #87 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:18am

More Keith in NYC:

Stone rolls in

Keith Richards rolled into TriBeCa’s Canal Room on Wednesday night to support his pal, New Orleans crooner Ivan Neville, and a benefit for the New Orleans Musicians Assistance Foundation. A spy said Richards invited Neville to join him in his studio the next day. The Stones star, wearing a fedora, a scarf and a red motorcycle jacket, hung in a booth with friends. Also playing were the Radiators’ Dave Malone and Camile Baudoin and Tony Hall.

http://goo.gl/xr9Yp
WireImage

New York Post

___

Keith's still working...hopefully sometime soon we'll get specifics from the man hisself.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:40am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #88 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:28pm
Keiths guitar tech Pierre just posted this on FB, Bernard replied.

Ouch!

Pierre de Beauport
studio sessions
Like · · 4 minutes ago · Privacy:

2 people like this..

Bernard Fowler How goes it P? Hope all is good. Sending you and the boss a big hi.
3 minutes ago · Like.

Have you no fucking shame?

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #89 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:48pm

Good news from a great source. Thanks for posting.

All that FB "like" stuff reads like dialog from 'Jersey Shore'...

Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2011 at 8:07pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #90 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:58pm
Thanks Deathgod!!!

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #91 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 8:41pm
LOL seems somebody is looking for a job, thanks Fedestones from pur message board in Spanish

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #92 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 8:41pm:
LOL seems somebody is looking for a job, thanks Fedestones from pur message board in Spanish

Yeah I just saw that. Wasn't sure if someone was going to post that. Last time Pierre put up something that seemed Stones related he quickly took it down. But it seems like the cat's out the bag now about Keith activity. Not neccessarily so good for Stones activity though. Blank Frigging Stare

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #93 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 11:31pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:07pm:

Yeah I just saw that. Wasn't sure if someone was going to post that. Last time Pierre put up something that seemed Stones related he quickly took it down. But it seems like the cat's out the bag now about Keith activity. Not neccessarily so good for Stones activity though. Blank Frigging Stare

I'll take a Keith solo album every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #94 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:21am
Mel Belli wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 11:31pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:07pm:

I'll take a Keith solo album every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

If it's good,so will I Mel.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #95 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:58am

Keith's on the new Tom Waits album 'Bad As Me', out next week.
He plays on four tracks, including a duet on the haunting 'Last Leaf'.

Check out badasme.com for a code to stream the album.

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:28am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #96 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 3:18pm
Thanks for this.
I hope it's better than the appearance on Sheryl Crow's recent lp

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #97 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 7:10am

Great 'Bad As Me' track with Keith on guitar:

'Hell Broke Luce'

http://goo.gl/xa5qI

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 7:15am
They really kept this hush hush until it came out...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #99 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:33am

GQ Magazine, November 2011:

http://goo.gl/OB7YO

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #100 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am
Keith's got a new Superheavy band now too?

With THOSE two people?

Love to hear that photo shoot conversation...

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #101 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:48am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:58am:

Pretty wild.  Thanks for helping me check it out.  It's all good (especially 6-12) but my favorite is 'Pay Me', for lyrics and piano.  Tom's voice reminds me a little of Keith's.   

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #102 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:32am
steel driving hammer wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am:

With THOSE two people?

Just read the cover - all is revealed.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:34am by Ginda »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:38am
Ginda wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:32am:
steel driving hammer wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am:

With THOSE two people?

Just read the cover - all is revealed.

I was being foolish.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #104 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:27am

From Mark Seliger's GQ shoot:

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:33am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #105 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:35am
 His fingers are getting better!

All you gotta do is strum!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #106 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:59am
Ginda wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:48am:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:58am:

Pretty wild.  Thanks for helping me check it out.  It's all good (especially 6-12) but my favorite is 'Pay Me', for lyrics and piano.  Tom's voice reminds me a little of Keith's.

Album's flat-out brilliant, imo.

Mick and Keith get namechecked on 'Satisfied', one of the tunes Keith plays on.
Love the riffage on 'Hell Broke Luce'.

Anybody else give a listen? Frye?? Bueller???
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 12:06pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #107 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 4:52pm

Excellent Tom Waits interview posted @ Pitchfork today.
Keith bits are below, but the whole thing's sublime.

Pitchfork: Keith Richards plays guitar and sings on this album. How far do you go back with him?

TW: Rain Dogs. I was being ridiculous. First of all, my wife Kathleen said, "Why don't you get Keith Richards on here? You love him. You love what he does. We're in New York and he lives in New York." And I go, "Oh, I gotta listen to this shit."

So then I was talking to the record company and they say, "Any guests you want on the record?" And I said, "What about Keith Richards?" I was just joking, but somebody went ahead and called him. And then he said, "Yeah." And I said, "Now we're really in trouble."

I was really nervous. He came with about 600 guitars in a semi-truck. And a butler. We were in these huge studios in New York, like The Poseidon Adventure. Huge, high ceilings in these rooms like football fields. They'd fill these things up with orchestras and we were in there with five guys. It felt a little weird. He killed me. I was really knocked out that he played on all those things.

Pitchfork: The song "Satisfied" references the Stones and Keith. Was it written with the idea that he would play on it?

TW:  It's just a shout out. I was just caught up in the moment. And then making it kind of an answer to ["Satisfaction"]: "Can't get no satisfaction... my ass, you can't get no satisfaction!" So that was just being refuckulous. It's an evangelical litany of life affirmations. It's devotional music, really. It was a goof. Les Claypool played bass on it, my son played drums, Keith. It caught on.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #108 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 5:59pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:33am:
GQ Magazine, November 2011:

http://goo.gl/OB7YO

THE COOLEST THING ON THAT COVER IS THE BLONDE TELE

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #109 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 6:01pm
" THE COOLEST THING ON THAT COVER IS THE BLONDE TELE  "

Perks .........................................................

What happened to your avatar(s)  ?

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #110 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:07am

SiriusXM's "One Night Only" at Studio 54 - NYC, October 18, 2011:

http://goo.gl/kcCxr

http://goo.gl/Ci2sD

http://goo.gl/cXehx

http://goo.gl/v6A4Q
Mike Coppola/Getty Images
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:31am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #111 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:09am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:34am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #112 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:21am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:12am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #113 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:24am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:18am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #114 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:55am
These by Kevin Mazur, thanks moy

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #115 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:59am
OUCH! Some are repeated will edit later... gotta go right now!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #116 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:09am
RO REMAINS the best site for photos.
Damn, Patti always looks amazing.
Keith is one lucky man.

LJ.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #117 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:47am

Oh, love this one  Smiley
Patti looks great!
Keith too  Cool

FotiniD  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #118 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:21am

Keith Richards

In case you're wondering, no, he didn't think he'd still be here either. So what does sneaking up on 70 feel like when you're Keith Richards?
GQ's Chris Heath speaks to rock's cat with nine lives about being the guy who makes sure the Stones keep on rolling

http://goo.gl/VYGax
Mark Seliger

He sits on a sofa, sipping from a plastic cup, answering a few questions about the life—"I've led so many lives....Which life are you talking about?"—that has led him here.

What remains for you to achieve?

"I've never tried to achieve anything. I achieved everything I wanted to achieve by being in the Rolling Stones and making records. That was the only real goal in my life, ever, but since that happened so quickly, like a laser beam...I think the next goal was not to become one-hit wonders. I mean, after that, no real goal, except to sort of keep on going. I mean, what does an entertainer do, basically? You get onstage and make other people feel happy. Make them feel good. Turn them on."

Is that the word you prefer? "Entertainer" more than "musician"?

"I wouldn't want to impress them with musicianship. I want them there because they want to be there and because they know that they're going to have a damn good time. I wouldn't take it any higher than that."

And what's the joy or fulfilment in achieving that?

"Well, you'd have to be there, pal. To know what it's like to be on a Stones stage with an audience. The exchange of energy that goes on. It's immeasurable. In fact they don't have meters to do it."

What does physically making music give to you?

"Well, it's better than drugs."

People may listen to that, coming from you.

"And the fact that I've written a lot of music on drugs doesn't negate that statement. I mean, give me a guitar, give me a piano, give me a broom and string, I wouldn't get bored anywhere. I could break out of jail on that stuff and still be in jail. It's a freedom nobody can take from you."

Is there anything you still need to prove?

"To prove? I was innocent! Of everything!"
___

Richards likes to play guitar every single day. Maybe an hour or so. "Afternoons, evenings. Pick around, play some Robert Johnson blues, hopefully make an incredible beautiful mistake which will lead me into another area. I do it for me. You know, I'm a selfish son of a bitch. I do it because it turns me on." (As for the mornings...here's more than you wanted to know about how each bright new twenty-first-century-Keith-Richards day begins: "First we have the bowel movement. Cool, that's that out of the way. Seen a friend off to the coast. And then you see what's on the agenda....")

It's a routine (the guitar playing, not the other one) that was disrupted while he was working on his million-selling autobiography, Life. "I hardly played at all for two years," he says. After our conversation, he is due in the studio with drummer Steve Jordan, his partner in his sometime other band, the X-Pensive Winos. "I'm sort of basically recovering from the book, and this is my therapy at the moment," he explains. "In the process of doing it, my chops are coming back." So far, they've got six songs that may or may not turn into an album. "Songwriting's a weird game. I never intended to become one—I fell into this by mistake, and I can't get out of it. It fascinates me. I like to point out the rawer points of life." That chuckle. "I work the seamier side of life."

And, I note, it's been good to him.

He nods. A sly grin. "There's a lot of seam," he says.

When I ask Richards what he thinks his talent has been, his initial answer relates to his key role in the Rolling Stones. "The ability to work with a team," he says. "To focus a bunch of musicians...to generate enthusiasm even in the face of adversity." I press him further about his individual gift. "You know, I'm a mere balladeer," he demurs. "A minstrel. I mean, when I consider what my job is, it's maybe an even older profession than what they call the oldest profession. I'm sure somebody sung a song before the first whore walked out there."

In his book, one gets the sense that, in recent decades, he considers all the periods when the Rolling Stones are not in action to be time in some kind of waiting room. He doesn't dispute this. "Yeah," he laughs. "A lot of it's purgatory. Luckily I have a few other distractions: 'Oh, I'm in purgatory—come on, honey, let's go to bed.' " For now, the group is preparing an expanded version of its late-'70s high point, Some Girls. And he holds out hopes of escaping purgatory soon: "Next year is sort of up for grabs," says Richards. "It's almost an overwhelming power—it'll be fifty years. So there's that sort of pressure. If I can pull them together, I'm there."

The extraordinary dynamic between Richards and Mick Jagger—dysfunctional, magical, cruel, loving, dismissive—runs through Life. Richards is so hard on his partner, particularly in the later years, that I think a lot of readers, myself included, were surprised to find themselves feeling sorry for Jagger.

"Oh, now, I can understand that," says Richards. "Life's life. I really don't want to go into it anymore, because what is in the book is in the book, and the fact is that Mick and I still talk and are still working together. So maybe that was another balance that needed to be sorted out. Mick and me, two guys divided by love."

One issue seems to have bubbled on in the press since publication—with, most recently, Pete Townshend speaking out to say that he has observed the scorned anatomy in question and that Richards had his facts wrong about Jagger's genitalia. So I ask: Is it ultimately gentlemanly to deride a friend's penis size?

"Between friends I think anything's allowed," replies Richards. "I mean, I've never seen it. I only heard." I begin to speak again, and then Richards gives me the look. He is jolly, jokey, witty, amiable company until you decline a clear hint to gently withdraw from a subject. Then he gazes right at you, and his voice changes, in a way that clearly seems to convey: I'm being nice and charming to you here, but don't push your luck, sonny boy, because I've spat out people a hundred times smarter than you. "But I ain't going there anymore," he says firmly. I nod, and he adds, "It was a joke. Between friends a joke's a joke, and if you can't take a joke..."
___

What do you know now that you didn't know at 40?

"I didn't know I'd make 68."

Do you get a sense of how people imagine you now?

"It's weird. It changed, because of the book mainly. There's always going to be 'Keef'—you know, the one that closed down the liquor stores because he threatened to dry out. And in a way, I've always felt honored by turning into a sort of cartoon. An icon sort of character. And I'm interested in building him up."

Because it's fun, or flattering, or useful?

"Well, it's fun, and you're not going to get away from it. The image is a ball and chain, and you've got to live with it. And, yeah, that is part of me. Old Keef. You know. The drug one. But since the book came out there's 'Actually he can talk.... He's read a book or two.' I don't particularly care whether people know that or not. But it's a nice counterbalance to 'Keef.' Presidents speak to me now."

How do you want people to remember you?

"I want everybody to have a great laugh. Don't be sorry. About myself I have no great illusions. I know what I am. I know what I'm good at. I know what I ain't. I'm always hoping to surprise myself. But I do have a love of music and I do love to communicate it, and that's the best I can do, really. And I can raise a good family, too."

Are there any words you wish wouldn't appear in your obituary?

"No, they can write as long as they want. 'That fucking asshole...' I'd love to hear what they say."
___

Even Keith Richards has made certain concessions to the passage of time. This afternoon the plastic cup in his hand is filled with nothing more than orange soda. "I don't drink till the sun goes down," he says. "I cut back. Extremely. You see, it was other people that were worried about my drinking—not me. Other people, including wifey." He chuckles. "So then I straightened up and they're, 'Well, you're no different....' "

And when the sun goes down?

"A shot of vodka and whatever. A martini. More than anything, wine with dinner. It'd be so uncivilized not to have a glass of wine with dinner."

He starts telling me, almost shyly, about the pleasure he gets from his grandchildren, as though he is surprised to have found himself in a place where this is such an important part of his life. "I'm eternally grateful to be here to enjoy that bit," he says. (Nonetheless, anyone who imagines that he is no longer Keith Richards in the moments when he is Grandpa Keith will be reassured by an intimate detail he shares of the kind of time they spend together: "They're well-trained...empty the ashtray...")

Just before I leave, I mention to him The New Yorker's succinct description of his book: "A slurry romp through the life of a man who knew every pleasure, denied himself nothing, and never paid the price".

"So far," he agrees. "I'm waiting for the check. But I'll gladly pay it. And I'll give you a tip on top. It was worth it."
___

Do you still carry a knife?

"Yeah. Not with me today. It's gone in for sharpening."

___

HEAR GQ's ULTIMATE KEITH RICHARDS PLAYLIST AT SPOTIFY

http://goo.gl/7ji5K

GQ

Outstanding read...love me some Keith!
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:39am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #119 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:43am
I'd like to see the video...

http://goo.gl/v6A4Q

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #120 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Great GQ interview!  Charming and disarming as always.  However - about that "joke" he references?  I think it backfired.  He sounds as tired of talking about it as I am of hearing about it.

Thanks for posting.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 5:32pm by Ginda »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #121 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 7:45am

Unadorned GQ cover:

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #122 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:16am

Free stream of the new Tom Waits album 'Bad As Me' ends tomorrow.
Go to badasme.com for an access code.

Album gets better with each listen...and Keith sounds louder, too.

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #123 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Good interview.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #124 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm
The GQ cover is so odd looking. Keef is surrounded by dirtbags!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #125 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm:

Smiley

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #126 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm:

A composite...rappers are from another shoot.  

Didja read the interview? Better than the picture.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:55pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #127 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:41pm
Every few years they stick him on the cover with other people in the music biz. I always laugh because he's usually one of the only ones worthy to be on the cover. The white rapping man-child on the cover needs  to lighten up. He is hanging out with Keith! Smile you dirtbag! I'm going to Photoshop my face over his-and I'll have a huge fucking smile.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #128 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:00pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:38pm:
A composite...rappers are from another shoot.

....and I'm pretty sure Keith has publicly stated that he has no regard for Rap.

Wouldn't Keith have a choice as to who he appears with on a magazine cover ?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #129 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 3:55pm
Here is the link to the full Q/A  proper and the photo shoot as well:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201111/survivors-music-portfolio-keith-ric...

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:07pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #130 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:18pm

The GQ interview's also posted on the previous page of this thread.

http://goo.gl/wQwiW
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:32pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #131 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:20pm
Edith Grove wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:00pm:
....and I'm pretty sure Keith has publicly stated that he has no regard for Rap.

Wouldn't Keith have a choice as to who he appears with on a magazine cover?

Dunno...but if he does, guess he's got no problem sharing one with Eminem and Lil Wayne.  
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:37pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #132 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:07pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:18pm:
The GQ interview's also posted on the previous page of this thread.

http://goo.gl/wQwiW

The real Rolling Stones tongue

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #133 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:20am

Paul McCartney & Nancy Shevell party - The Bowery Hotel, NYC 10/21:

http://goo.gl/ohpvK

http://goo.gl/6Zgg7
Getty Images
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:53am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #134 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:22am
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:42am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #135 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:25am

From Jon Pareles' interview with Tom Waits, published in The New York Times:

http://goo.gl/VMDQu
Anton Corbijn

Q. Keith Richards plays a lot of guitar on this album.

A. He has impeccable instincts about what a song needs and doesn’t need. If you’re doing an overdub he wants to hear everybody who played on it because he wants to know, “Where do I sit? I want to know everybody who’s there. Maybe I have to stand behind somebody. Maybe I have to knock somebody over and get in their place.” That kind of thing.

__

Keith's got his mojo workin' on 'Bad As Me'...
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:36am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #136 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:30am
Keith seems to have "broken the ice" with Macca in a very pronounced way in the last couple of years ... That's not something I expected.

IP Logged

dadrob
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #137 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 2:28pm
Imagine that as the basis for his own superheavy group...Macca Keith Jeff Beck and a hot British keyboard and drummer

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #138 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:25pm
More pix with thanks to Moy

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #139 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:27pm
Beatles or relatives

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #140 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:30pm
For Gazza... LOL Mr. Jon Bon Jovi was there

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #141 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:30pm
To neutralize the experience above the not so Little Steven Van Zandt from the e-street Band

Don't suck my cock

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #142 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:03pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:30pm:
For Gazza... LOL Mr. Jon Bon Jovi was there

A sad reminder that I still have a crush on Mr. Jovi since last July's gig. I think I'm officially doomed  Have you no fucking shame?

FotiniD  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #143 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:57pm
dadrob wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 2:28pm:
Imagine that as the basis for his own superheavy group...Macca Keith Jeff Beck and a hot British keyboard and drummer

Paul's already got the hottest band going behind him. Anybody else would just slow him down.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #144 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:13am

http://goo.gl/apaZ4

'Bad As Me' tracks with Keith on guitar...and vocals on 'Last Leaf':

'Chicago'

'Satisfied'

'Last Leaf'

'Hell Broke Luce'
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:22am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #145 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:22am
Nice if Bernard sang those Tom songs.

Songs are deep and powerful.

Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:24am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #146 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 10:09am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:13am:
http://goo.gl/apaZ4

'Bad As Me' tracks with Keith on guitar...and vocals on 'Last Leaf':

'Chicago'

'Satisfied'

'Last Leaf'

'Hell Broke Luce'

I can hear Keith's vocal on 'Last Leaf' this time around.  Beautiful.

I also liked what TW had to say about Keith's philosophy in music contribution in the NY Times article.  He wants to know where he fits in best - doesn't have to take the lead.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 10:12am by Ginda »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #147 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:18am

http://goo.gl/4CYdq

From Seth Colter Walls' interview with Tom Waits, posted @ Slate:

Slate: It [“Hell Broke Luce”] seems like a more pointed war song than you’ve recorded previously.

Waits: Loaded. Anyway. … I’ve been hearing that line a whole lot: “You had a good home but you left.” And so I somehow … ahhh. Keith [Richards] said that officers will hate that song, but enlisted men will love it. The army’s interested in it, as an ad for, you know, their commercials. It’s an answer to “Be all you can be.” I’m having a conversation with them about it. It’s a cautionary tale. Obviously.

Slate: Ha! Well, how was working with Keith Richards again. It had been a while, right? The last album was…

Waits: Bone Machine. Yeah, man.

Slate: I read somewhere that during the sessions for Rain Dogs you had to show him how to move when playing a particular song. Does he still need any coaching from you?

Waits: Oh man, he doesn’t require anything at all. … I didn’t really show him how to move—you can’t show him how to move. I’ve read these … that I was talking in pantomime and body language. I may have been, but I don’t remember. I was probably nervous talking to him and resorting to, you know, hand signals.

Slate: So how was it this time around?

Waits: [The] first time he brought about 200 guitars with him, you know. I said, “Oh man, this is crazy,” you know? He had a guitar valet ... he brought a butler and 200 guitars and he pulled up in a moving van. Jesus! This was a little more streamlined though.

Slate: Having Richards and Marc Ribot playing at the same time is the definition of luxury casting, I think.

Waits: Luxury casting! I like that. When you can afford to hire everything! “I want 300 emus on my lawn by 6 o’clock. And I won’t take no for an answer! And I want an 8-foot fence. You know?” And I want—yeah it can get a little absurd like that if you’re out of control on the budget. I have people watching me all the time. … Oh, that gun—my grandma’s. “.44 Smokeless Dance,” that’s the name of it. I just saw it on the barrel … I didn’t realize what it was [before].
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:26am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #148 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:39am

'The Rum Diary' premiere - Museum Of Modern Art, NYC 10/25:

http://goo.gl/NNF4V

http://goo.gl/NhtNK
Getty Images
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:49am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #149 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:47am

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #150 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:48am

Just finished playing Key to the Highway with @JohnnyDepp at #RumDiary afterparty!

@officialKeef

http://goo.gl/ARSnN
__

Cool

Been a while...nearly three years to the day since he played with The Crickets.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:43am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #151 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:30am

Hiro Ballroom, NYC 10/25:

http://goo.gl/Ku5ID
Frankie Delgado

http://goo.gl/UTte9
Noah Tepperberg

http://goo.gl/RbVFq
Film District

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #152 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:40am
Thanks left shoe rider!

God I can't wait to hear him play.

Even if it's not even close to par for a 68 yo man.

I know his lazy style, and I still like it, prolly even more.

Let the guitars play...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #153 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 9:22am
Great to see Keith on a stage with guitar in hand. Thanks Lefty. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #154 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:19pm

More pics:

http://goo.gl/opRRn
Shamone Jardim

http://goo.gl/aU6p0

http://goo.gl/gZqbN
Fernando Andrade
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:39pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #155 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:20pm

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #156 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:25pm

Video from thisclose:

http://goo.gl/xwZkk
Filmester

'Key To The Highway'

__

Hells yeah!

Keef looking and sounding great...
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:10pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #157 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Interesting to see keith playing with glasses on.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #158 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 2:33pm
And Keith isn't using a pick, playing with his fingers.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

dadrob
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #159 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:10pm
glad to see Keith making music..even at this level

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #160 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Man, this is one GOOD day from start to finish.  You rock! Thanks for the photos and video!!! Love, love, love it!!!

Oh Keith did we miss you baby.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #161 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:01pm
Nice to see and hear Keith playing again.  Thanks for the video!

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #162 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:15pm
I apologize to my fellow Stones fans for the following comment in advance.
I think Keith's playing in this video is along the lines of what has been his usual
as of late-uninspired & lacking effort.  Sure, it's a gig with several musical unknowns.
He should be wiping the floor with licks.  Instead, it's this meandering doodling.
Not doing it for me.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #163 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Nellcote wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:15pm:
I think Keith's playing in this video is along the lines of what has been his usual
as of late-uninspired & lacking effort.  Sure, it's a gig with several musical unknowns.
He should be wiping the floor with licks.  Instead, it's this meandering doodling.
Not doing it for me.  

Well he's no Ronnie Wood that's for sure Nellie. Wow!

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #164 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 9:58pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
Nellcote wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:15pm:
as of late-uninspired & lacking effort.  Sure, it's a gig with several musical unknowns.
He should be wiping the floor with licks.  Instead, it's this meandering doodling.
Not doing it for me.  

Well he's no Ronnie Wood that's for sure Nellie. Wow!

At this point, he's no Keith Richards.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #165 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:11am
The guy at 1.43 comes across as a Grade A jerk/prat.

Keith seems along way from being "match fit".

Looking forward to the "The Rum Diary". The book took over 30 years to get published  and the movie has been in the works for ages. So I hope it does HST justice.

No doubt about it. Johnny is living the dream.

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #166 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:47am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:11am:
Keith seems along way from being "match fit".

This was definitely pre-season form. But he has a lot of rust to shake off. Let's just hope he has a season to get ready for. You rock!

IP Logged

glimmertwinfan
Rocks Off Regular

Michigan
Reply #167 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:51am

keith-richards-620.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #168 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:29am
I enjoyed it. Keith without a pick is something different. What's not to like? Keith Richards shows up at a little gig and plays the blues. I'm sold. Any day of the week.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #169 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:34am
It mightn't be over.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #170 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:48am
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:29am:
I enjoyed it. Keith without a pick is something different. What's not to like? Keith Richards shows up at a little gig and plays the blues. I'm sold. Any day of the week.

My sentiments exactly.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #171 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:58am
FotiniD wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:48am:
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:29am:

My sentiments exactly.

Mine too. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #172 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 10:13am

Coupla minute clip that focuses on Keith - starts out sideways, but wait for it...

http://goo.gl/YxQwv
caromcmah0n  
__

His fingerpicking some slow blues on a borrowed guitar ain't bad...nor is it a "tour readiness" gauge.  

For a bigger and better taste of The Riff 2011, listen to his playing on 'Bad As Me'.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011 at 10:41am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #173 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:40pm
What I'm wondering is, he's been out in public with the gray now for a couple of years. He couldn't possibly dye it again, could he?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #174 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:45pm

Meh. The rakish fedora, shmatte and Professor Irwin Corey hair has been his look for a while...

You're a guitar guy, Mel. What do you think about his playing?
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011 at 2:31pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #175 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Playing doesn't worry me at all. He was playing someone else's guitar in a middling bar band. And he was doing the kind of fingerpicked-country-blues thing that he normally reserves for acoustic...

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #176 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 2:33pm
Mel Belli wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:53pm:
Playing doesn't worry me at all. He was playing someone else's guitar in a middling bar band...

fair point

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #177 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 2:43pm
I'm not saying the Keith of 1969 is waiting to bust out of the cage or anything. ... He has diminished a great deal, being human and all.

There's just a feng shui thing about gear and atmosphere. I noticed when Angus Young played with the Stones, he wasn't quite up to his usual standard. He never had the amount of overdrive he's accustomed to, so the licks that usually "work" for him in AC/DC weren't under his fingers like he's used to...

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #178 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Mel Belli wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 2:43pm:
I'm not saying the Keith of 1969 is waiting to bust out of the cage or anything. ... He has diminished a great deal, being human and all.

There's just a feng shui thing about gear and atmosphere. I noticed when Angus Young played with the Stones, he wasn't quite up to his usual standard. He never had the amount of overdrive he's accustomed to, so the licks that usually "work" for him in AC/DC weren't under his fingers like he's used to...

I'm fine with this explanation. 
For the most part.
Viewing this again leaves the impression of a person
who has been away from his profession for a while.
There again, this probably took place the end of the night, a few "Nuclear Wastes" consumed, who knows...
I think I hear him say (or someone say) words to the effect "pretty good for a free show"
which would sum up the performance.

We all get old.
Gonna get to you someday.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #179 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:43pm
No one's getting younger. stu watching how stupid we are LOL

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #180 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:46pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:43pm:
No one's getting younger. stu watching how stupid we are LOL

Jagger looks as young as he's ever looked in the video for Miracle Worker...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #181 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 12:57am

This 'Bad As Me' review heaps praise on Keith - especially his playing on 'Hell Broke Luce'...

http://goo.gl/nIF11

By Brian Robbins

You almost gotta feel bad for Mick Jagger.

I mean, here’s poor ol’ Mick, off on his own and trying to make a go of it with his new guaranteed-gold supergroup SuperHeavy, self-titled debut album and all, okay? (That would be Mick, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley, and A. R. Rahman, in case you folks at home are keeping score.) And just about the time SuperHeavy hits the streets, along comes Keith Richards with a little side gig going on – just a sit-in, mind you – and makes Mick’s deal look like slicked-up PVC compared to Keith’s well-worn funky leather.

And it’s not even Keef’s party; what we’re talking here is Tom Waits’ new Bad As Me album, you see. This whole album is loaded with the kind of stuff that makes Waits Waits – weird characters that we all know (and/or are); grooves that range from haunting hipster to junkyard raunch; and a cast of guest players who absolutely get it.

As far as guest Mr. Richards goes, he sits in on four of Waits’ epic excursions: the two of them look age in the eye in the lovely croak of “Last Leaf”; they swagger through “Satisfied” with elegant grease; they churn through “Chicago”, its backbone built on a frantic banjo riff by Waits. It’s the fierce “Hell Broke Luce” that will flatten you into your seat cushions, however.

The cut begins with a classic Waits rhythm workout, guttural horns and who-knows-what percussion joining together to sound like the guts of a giant clock made from jagged hunks of scrap metal, all rust and rivets – with the occasional hunk of oak 6×6 shoved into the gears for good measure – chunking and clanking in a manner that’s mysterious, yet makes perfect sense. You can hear a muttered growl from Waits and Marc Ribot answers him back with a dry, dry, dry guitar murmur that’s both raga and blues honk at the same moment.

I had a good home but I left, begins Waits, reaching down into the bottom of his lungs, banging the syllables on the beat/off the beat/between the beats.

I had a good home but I left, right, left, he continues, punching out the cadence in such a manner that there’s no question things have taken a turn for the military.

That big fucking bomb made me deaf, deaf
A Humvee mechanic put his Kevlar on wrong
I guarantee you’ll meet up with a suicide bomb

And then comes the chorus, sounding like a line of marching demons:

Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce

Waits takes the vocal back for himself, spittle flying from his cracked lips and the whole damn band now just one big ungodly rhythm instrument:

Big fucking ditches in the middle of the road
You pay a hundred dollars just for fillin’ in the hole
Listen to the general every goddamn word
How many ways can you polish up a turd

The demons leap back in:

Left, right, left, left, right

And then there’s a burst of Mr. Richards sounding like Chuck Berry at the gates of Hell, all gritted-teeth string bends before digging into a machine-gunned bass string riff.

Left, right

barks the demons.

Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce

they bellow, as Richards answers back with another series of wild-ass bends.

How is it that the only ones responsible for making this mess
Got their sorry asses stapled to a goddamn desk

Waits roars as a third guitar is heard from, Will Bernard’s six-string tone all thick and dark.

Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce
Left, right, left

There’s a quick mortar blast of multi-guitarness, then a steady Keef churn-and-wail while Waits testifies:

What did you do before the war?
I was a chef, chef
What was your name?
It was Geoff, Geoff
I lost my buddy and I wept, wept
I came down from the meth
So I slept, slept
I had a good home but I left, left

And suddenly the underpinnings give way and the pounding driving rhythm drops out. A cold breeze of sad and wasted horns, sounding like a cross between a tired ambulance and a tease of taps, then … BANG!

Pantsed at the wind for a joke
I pranced right in with the dope
Glanced at her shin she said nope
Left, right, left

Nimrod Bodfish have you any wool
Get me another body bag the body bag’s full
My face was scorched, scorched
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

The sound of real gunfire and explosions – but the chorus is oblivious:

Left, right, left

Waits pleads:

Can I go home in March? March
My stanch was a chin full of soap
That rancid dinner with the pope
Left, right, left

Bernard’s guitar rumbles back in, then gives way to Richards, playing some of his fiercest studio licks of the past couple of decades. Waits’ sing-song growl just adds a few degrees of purgatory to the situation:

Kelly Presutto got his thumbs blown off
Sergio’s developing a real bad cough
Sergio’s developing a real bad cough

Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce
Hell Broke Luce

There are screams way, way off in the darkness. Waits plows ahead, dripping with blood, sweat, and bitterness:

Boom went his head away
And boom went Valerie
What the hell was it that the president said?
Give them all a beautiful parade instead
Left, right, left

And then we come to the song’s conclusion as Waits’ character states the facts and asks an obvious question:

While I was over here I never got to vote
I left my arm in my coat
My mom she died I never wrote
We sat by the fire and ate a goat
Just before he died he had a toke
Now I’m home and I’m blind
And I’m broke
What is next

The performance is audio equivalent of a graphic novel: deadly serious emotions and situations delivered in a bigger-than-life manner. The musicians that Waits has shared his vision with take the load on their shoulders, as well. That’s Flea’s bass grinding up against the drums of Casey Waits (yep – Tom’s son); Charlie Musselwhite weaves strands of harp throughout the madness; and Clint Maedgen, Ben Jaffe, and Chris Grady’s horns only add to the song’s imagery.

And that’s just one cut.

jambands.com

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #182 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 7:44am
It's Mick's choice. He's well aware of the kind of thing critics favor: stuff that's gritty, introspective, not-slick, earthy, authentic, stuff you can grow old to, stuff that stares down mortality, fill-in-your-own-superlative.

I remember an interview—I think the context was Dylan's post "Time Out of Mind" work—and Mick said something like "People do like that, don't they?" He said it's boring.

Again. It's his choice.

I think Mick's problem is that he genuinely, sincerely enjoys crap.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #183 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:49pm

Coupla more pics from Tuesday night:

http://goo.gl/YyOZo

http://goo.gl/236lS
Fernando Andrade

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #184 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 4:18pm

http://goo.gl/xnuR3
officialkeef  

OCT 28 UPDATE: Some guerrilla video footage from Keith's appearance has surfaced! Thanks to Jane Rose for nimbly capturing the surprise.

keithrichards.com

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #185 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:38pm
What I don't understand is this chick is standing so close to Keith Richards, ROCK LEGEND, and she's screaming about Johnny Depp!

Is she retarded?

Seriously!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #186 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 5:37am
gorda wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:38pm:
What I don't understand is this chick is standing so close to Keith Richards, ROCK LEGEND, and she's screaming about Johnny Depp!

Is she retarded?

Seriously!

Maybe she's, like, 20 years old or something, you know, like, you know ?  LOL

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #187 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 8:14am
Excellent clip from Jane Rose.  Johnny Depp is obviously smitten and Keith looks happy and relaxed.  At this point in Keith's life (and and the lives of Mick, Charlie and Ronnie) what else could they ask for?

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #188 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 5:01pm
It's good to see KEEF playing anywhere!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #189 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 9:00am

More from Hiro Ballroom:  

http://goo.gl/JIVDF

http://goo.gl/XCH4k

http://goo.gl/JSYs9
Greg Zabilski - FilmDistrict/GK Films

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #190 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 10:13am
That's 1 in a row Keith!!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #191 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 4:53pm

From NPR's "Fresh Air" interview with Tom Waits:

http://goo.gl/nZXdk
Jesse Dylan

On Collaborating With Keith Richards

"There's nobody in the world like him. We wrote songs together for a while and that was fun. I had never really written with anybody besides my wife, so it was unique and a little scary at first. He doesn't really remember anything or write anything down. So you play for an hour and he would yell across the room, 'Scribe!' And I looked around. 'Scribe? Who's the scribe?' And he'd say it again, now pointing at me. I was supposed to have written down everything we said and dreamt of and played. And I realized we needed an adult in the room. I've never been the one that one would consider the adult. It was an interesting dynamic."

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #192 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:03am
Patti and the girls are on the cover of Town and Country. They look stunning.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/keith_patti_wild_times_UE8hGOtlzqLixvHYfcMVBO?CM...

IP Logged

paul
Rocks Off Regular

England
Reply #193 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:49am
Johnny Depp is like a bad hanger on.

Thanks for the pic, his daughters are a pair of really nice chicks. Well rounded unlike the kids of some of the Beatles. Weird eh.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:52am by paul »  

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #194 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 12:24pm
I'm tired of Depp's constant involvement with Keith.

IP Logged

SoulPlunderer
Rocks Off Regular

Northern Ireland
Reply #195 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 12:24pm:

Why? He's not doing anything worng. He's playing guitar with his mate, where's the problem?
I've heard people complain that Johnny is trying in some way to be like Keith in terms of image but that's hardly strange. Keith was probably an idol of Depp's so it's only natural that he seems a little smitten. I think it's sort of cool that Johnny Depp looks up to Keith in that way. I mean, he's a global superstar so I would assume that there aren't many people in the world that would have that sort of effect on him.

I think a lot of the animosity towards Depp comes from jealousy in a way. I would assume that it's a bit of a fantasy of some fans to be mates with Keith so I can see why people get riled because Johnny has the means to live out that fantasy himself. Hardly his fault though. Plus, he does seem like a genuinely cool guy himself.

"We're exiled, baby, and this is how it goes."&&&&-Keith Richards

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #196 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:53pm

File reveals police view of drug squad raid on Keith Richards

National Archives releases Met's account of famous drugs bust, which conflicts with Rolling Stones guitarist's own telling

Alan Travis
Wednesday 2 November 2011

http://goo.gl/DF1cL
Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg arrive at Marlborough Street magistrates court
in London on 27 June 1973, to answer charges after the drugs raid. (Getty Images)

For the Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, this was his most famous drugs bust. He faced 25 charges in all, but in the true piratical spirit of rock'n'roll he walked away with just a £250 fine because it was obvious even to the judge that the police were trying to stitch him up.

That, at least, is the account Richards gives of his arrest in his recently-published memoir, Life. Johnny Depp may have modelled his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean series on Richards, but the account in the Metropolitan police file of the raid, released this week by the National Archives, casts him in a somewhat less heroic role.

When the Chelsea drug squad raided his home in Cheyne Walk, London – just a few doors down from Mick Jagger's house – one bright Tuesday morning in June 1973 they found not only the expected collection of grass, cannabis resin, "Chinese" heroin, mandrax tablets, burnt spoons, syringes and pipes but also a .38 Smith and Wesson revolver, a shotgun and 110 rounds of ammunition. It would have seemed an open and shut case that should have attracted a hefty sentence, given Richards's famous record.

When the police arrived they found Richards and Anita Pallenberg, who they described as "his common law wife and a housewife", still asleep in their four-poster bed in their first-floor bedroom.

As Richards and Pallenberg were getting dressed, officers led by Detective Inspector Charles O'Hanlon, found a box full of drugs. The revolver was in a bedside cabinet and the ammunition in a nearby cupboard. In an upstairs bedroom the police also arrested the flamboyant Prince Jean Christien Stanislaus Klossowski, whom they described as "the self-claimed heir apparent to the Polish throne", but known to Richards and Jagger simply as Stash. More drugs were found in his room.

As soon as O'Hanlon challenged Richards about the drugs, he suggested they were "down to Marshall Chess" – the son of the founder of Chess records, the legendary Chicago blues label – who ran the Stones's own record label.

Richards claimed Chess was renting the house and they were just staying overnight after a late night finish to a long recording session. "It's got nothing to do with us. He rents this place. We only came here last night," O'Hanlon claimed Richards said. When the guitarist started to walk towards the bathroom, O'Hanlon said: "Keith, could you come back here?" "Mr Richards to you," came the reply. O'Hanlon insisted, however, that gold records on the walls inscribed to Keith Richards or the Rolling Stones painted a different picture.

Richards admitted he did own the house and that he didn't have a firearms licence for the guns. But he did try to get rid of some incriminating spoons which showed burn marks after being used to cook up heroin. O'Hanlon claimed that Richards had gone downstairs and "ordered a manservant" to bring him and Pallenberg some drinks. He then unsuccessfully tried to get the incriminating spoons from the bathroom to use to stir the drinks but was stopped by the police.

Richards said the revolver, complete with holster, saying it was bought for him by a roadie named Leroy Leonard in San Francisco for $200 because he had just been to Jamaica and was advised he needed it for his protection: "There is some sort of trouble there and if you live there it's best for your own protection to have one. So I decided to get one together in readiness," he said, adding that he had only fired it once to test whether it worked. In his memoirs he claims the shotgun was an antique children's miniature made by a French nobleman in the 1880s. He says that at the trial the police tried to fit him up by charging him as though it were a sawn-off shotgun which carried an automatic year's prison sentence.

Richards says this was the only charge he pleaded not guilty to, and the police action so infuriated the judge that he gave him a £10 fine for each charge.

The police forensic report describes the weapon as a 9mm Belgian shotgun with a short barrel, under 24ins, that had not been used and was in poor condition. The report adds that despite the variety of drugs found the quantities were small.

At the trial Richards pleaded guilty to all the charges but one. As there was no evidence the weapons had been fired the only offence committed was not to have a licence for them – then a minor crime.

The minor nature of the offences may perhaps explain why the rock'n'roll hero escaped on this occasion with a fine rather than a Captain Sparrow-style victory.

The Guardian

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #197 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 8:13pm
I not only a fan of Keith, but of Hunter S. Thompson as well.  It seems I can't catch a break. Whenever one is mentioned, Depp is not far behind. He's probably a great guy and all, and I love his enthusiasm for two of my favorite people,  but for me it's enough. I wanted to watch a Doors documentary and he's doing the narration. I can't get away from the guy.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #198 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 8:52pm

Norman Mailer Center Benefit Gala - Mandarin Oriental Hotel, NYC 11/8:

http://goo.gl/tkwZj

http://goo.gl/jm0nl

http://goo.gl/vXTr8

http://goo.gl/Elc6p

http://goo.gl/QqlsP

http://goo.gl/AxrPB
Getty Images

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2011 at 8:53pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #199 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:21pm
WOW more from today!! Thanks lefty

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #200 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:21pm:
WOW more from today!! Thanks lefty

Agree...LSS, are you the photographer for these and past photographs? Some really nice shots.

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #201 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 4:31am
Smiley Cool Smiley Cool Wink

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #202 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 4:56am
A book prize for "distinguished" Keith Richards

NEW YORK (AP) — On a night he was honored for his way with words, Keith Richards was clearly winging it.

"This is one for the books, if you get my drift — you hacks," the 67-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist joked Tuesday as he accepted the Mailer Prize for Distinguished Biography, a prize earned by his million-selling memoir "Life."

Wearing tinted glasses, a long scarf around his neck and a wide red band around his sprawl of salt and pepper hair, Richards stood before hundreds dressed in suits and gowns at the Mandarin Hotel in Manhattan and loosened up as if presiding over a celebrity roast. He chuckled. He swore. He reasoned that since he had been writing — songs — since age 16, his appearance at a literary event was not a total "intrusion."

It had been an evening of earnest speeches about the importance of writing and education, about the disparity of wealth and the lasting lessons of the Holocaust, the latter point articulated by Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel, winner of the Mailer prize for lifetime achievement.

"You've heard from some incredible people about some serious stuff," Richards acknowledged, before bringing the subject to his own demons, his longtime heroin addiction. "The only serious stuff I'm interested in I've given up."

The Mailer awards are named for Norman Mailer, who died in 2007, and are sponsored by the Norman Mailer Center and the Norman Mailer Writers Colony, based in his longtime home of Provincetown, Mass. Previous recipients of Mailer awards, now in their third year, include Nobel laureates Toni Morrison and Orhan Pamuk and Rolling Stone magazine founder Jann Wenner.

Bill Clinton, who introduced Richards, was for once a supporting star. The former president called Richards "my friend" and "a good guy," and repeatedly plugged "Life," which was originally titled "My Life," the same as Clinton's memoir, until Richards decided it was best to get to the point and dispense with "My." Clinton noted that his late mother-in-law, Dorothy Rodham, was an avid fan.

"Do you have any idea what it's like to have a 92-year-old groupie living in your home, a woman who lived and breathed for the Rolling Stones?" Clinton said of Rodham, who died Nov. 1. He remembered attending a Stones concert a few years ago at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan, a show filmed for Martin Scorsese's documentary "Shine a Light." Rodham arrived early and stood on line just for the chance to see Richards, "to faint."

Not long ago, Richards came to visit with Clinton and family in the Caribbean. He charmed Rodham, who changed her clothes just for the occasion, and made a point of kissing her hello and kissing her goodbye.

"What am I, chopped liver?" Clinton wondered as he recalled the star-struck mother of his wife, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. "It was beautiful. He gives her an autographed copy of the book; she had already bought one on her own; she had already read it. I said, 'Dorothy, what did you think?' And she said, 'I always did like those bad boys.'"

No Stones fan in the 1960s, or Richards, could have imagined a former president as his pal or that he would have been associated with the word "distinguished." And few would have believed an encounter between Richards and Tony Bennett shortly before the ceremony. The 85-year-old Bennett, the kind of pop-jazz crooner the Stones displaced on the charts, approached Richards' table and introduced himself. The two embraced, chatted and posed for pictures. Bennett later explained that Richards had sent him a nice note about his new album, "Duets II."

"I just wanted to thank him," Bennett said.

The gap has not entirely closed. Asked if he had any favorite Stones song, Bennett responded that he had never listened to them.

Congrats Keith!!!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #203 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:32am
SoulPlunderer wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm:

Why? He's not doing anything worng. He's playing guitar with his mate, where's the problem?
I've heard people complain that Johnny is trying in some way to be like Keith in terms of image but that's hardly strange. Keith was probably an idol of Depp's so it's only natural that he seems a little smitten. I think it's sort of cool that Johnny Depp looks up to Keith in that way. I mean, he's a global superstar so I would assume that there aren't many people in the world that would have that sort of effect on him.

I think a lot of the animosity towards Depp comes from jealousy in a way. I would assume that it's a bit of a fantasy of some fans to be mates with Keith so I can see why people get riled because Johnny has the means to live out that fantasy himself. Hardly his fault though. Plus, he does seem like a genuinely cool guy himself.

Precisely right in every way.

Its not as if the guy needs the publicity or credibility. He's the most bankable movie star on the planet.

Its a bit akin to the Leavell-bashing, Was-bashing etc, ie "he's getting to do something we'd want to be doing (or even in some cases believe we COULD do). We cant be a Stone, but its the next best thing"....

Instead of being tired of Depp's constant involvement with Keith, maybe it should be the other way round. I doubt it's Johnny who's been preventing Keith from playing music for most of the last four years.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:38am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #204 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:58am
What's up with that headscarf-bandana type thingy..?  you made a grown man cry

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

dadrob
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #205 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:57am
Keith is quite bald and he is hiding it
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:09am by dadrob »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #206 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 8:23am
Keith is really recording w. the Winos? That will take some time to blossom.

Time is short n' shallow for recording a new Stones album if they tour next year.

I hope I see them together writing for 6 months or longer for the final bang next year.

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #207 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:50pm
RollingStone Mag is reporting about a summit of Stones meeting soon on Home turf .

Has anyone else heard ??

A JAM N T session,  Don't suck my cock

Let it flow guys,

Imagine

Peace       Luv <3.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #208 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:24pm
LOL Keith showing how happy he was with the awards

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #209 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:43pm
© Eugene Gologursky with thanks to Moy and left shoe shuffle

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #210 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:49am
Gazza wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:32am:

Its not as if the guy needs the publicity or credibility. He's the most bankable movie star on the planet.

Its a bit akin to the Leavell-bashing, Was-bashing etc, ie "he's getting to do something we'd want to be doing (or even in some cases believe we COULD do). We cant be a Stone, but its the next best thing"....

Instead of being tired of Depp's constant involvement with Keith, maybe it should be the other way round. I doubt it's Johnny who's been preventing Keith from playing music for most of the last four years.

I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp's and I find his Keith mannerisms and way of talking a little annoying but it certainly has nothing to do with wanting to live out a fantasy of being mates with Keith. I'm not going to lie and say I don't want that because anyone on this board would not turn down the chance to be mates with not only the Stones but other members of the band, but it's no "fantasy" of mine. I find it annoying because I find it fake and affected and that's something I just don't like. It might be Johnny Depp or some bloke trying to sell me something, it doesn't matter. There are more sincere forms of flattery that are far more interesting.

Similarly, but for a different reason, I'm not crazy about the Was produced stuff. I like his intentions and don't think he's fake but there is a safety to Don Was's production that I don't care for. I am basing it on some of the work he's done for other people as well as the Stones. Again, it's no fantasy because I am not crazy enough to think I have anywhere near the skills required to do his job. My comments are just as a fan. I also know that in the end, Mick and Keith have the final say and it really doesn't matter who is producing. I'm just always hopeful that maybe for a few moments something different might come out of their work.

As for Chuck Leavell, I'm maybe in the minority but I've always enjoyed his stuff and his playing on Clapton's Unplugged was beautiful.

IP Logged

philgood
Rocks Off Regular

Cologne Area, Germany
Reply #211 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 4:46am
[/quote]

As for Chuck Leavell, I'm maybe in the minority but I've always enjoyed his stuff and his playing on Clapton's Unplugged was beautiful.
[/quote]

I totally agree regarding his playing on EC's Unplugged but wished he had never entered the Stones' camp.

Just my 2cts

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #212 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 6:45am
steel driving hammer wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 8:23am:
Keith is really recording w. the Winos? That will take some time to blossom.

Time is short n' shallow for recording a new Stones album if they tour next year.

I hope I see them together writing for 6 months or longer for the final bang next year.  

I think I read he has about half an album's worth of songs done with the Winos. Whether they're intending to make a fully fledged album is conjecture I suppose.

However, any solo project can and will be put on the long finger if a certain other band is doing anything that's going to be time consuming.

I'm still not overly confident that the Stones will make a full-length studio album in the next few months - but I'm absolutely convinced that they will be on the road in 2012.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #213 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 6:56am
The Wick wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:49am:
Gazza wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:32am:

I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp's and I find his Keith mannerisms and way of talking a little annoying but it certainly has nothing to do with wanting to live out a fantasy of being mates with Keith. I'm not going to lie and say I don't want that because anyone on this board would not turn down the chance to be mates with not only the Stones but other members of the band, but it's no "fantasy" of mine. I find it annoying because I find it fake and affected and that's something I just don't like. It might be Johnny Depp or some bloke trying to sell me something, it doesn't matter. There are more sincere forms of flattery that are far more interesting.

Similarly, but for a different reason, I'm not crazy about the Was produced stuff. I like his intentions and don't think he's fake but there is a safety to Don Was's production that I don't care for. I am basing it on some of the work he's done for other people as well as the Stones. Again, it's no fantasy because I am not crazy enough to think I have anywhere near the skills required to do his job. My comments are just as a fan. I also know that in the end, Mick and Keith have the final say and it really doesn't matter who is producing. I'm just always hopeful that maybe for a few moments something different might come out of their work.

All fair comment - my point (sort of!) is that whilst we're all Stones fans, there's a tendency to deflect blame for any shortcomings we may find in the band onto hired employees. We've all done it. Myself included.  Part of it is maybe down to a belief that we know a better way.

Ticket prices too high ? - blame Cohl.
Dissatisfied with the stage show/arrangements/mix? - blame Leavell
Unhappy with the albums? - blame Was.
Dislike Jagger's solo projects? - blame Dave Stewart. Or Matt Clifford!
Frustrated with the archives? - blame ABKCO

A lot of the buck for any issues rests with the Stones themselves. These guys have been professionals for 50 years. They've forgotten more about how to make a record, produce a record or put on a concert than any of us will ever know.  If they can deserve to take the credit when they get it right, they can take the flak when they don't. Works both ways.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #214 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:28am
Unhappy with the world? -Blame Gazza
Stones don't play close to where I live? -Blame Gazza
Guinness is not served at shows? -Blame Gazza
Hot chicks won't give me the time of day? -Blame Gazza
Sheppard pie taste nasty? -Blame Gazza
No rashers in the morning? -Blame Gazza

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #215 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 11:52am
Bingo wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:28am:

WWGD....What would Gazza do Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #216 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Johnny Depp? Super Heavy? 2011 reunion? This is all so confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cia0bFuqAos

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #217 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Bingo wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:28am:

LOL..go right ahead - every other fucker does....  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

... ... ...
IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #218 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Keith's angels: Rolling Stone wife Patti Hansen poses with daughters Theodora and Alexandra on Town & Country cover

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 11:50 PM on 11th November 2011
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Given that she has fought and recovered from breast cancer over the past few years, one would imagine stress to have taken its toll on Patti Hansen's looks.

But the former supermodel, 55, who is wife of Rolling Stone Keith Richards, looks as stunning as ever pictured alongside her two daughters on the cover of Town & Country magazine.

The trio of blondes posed in cashmere and faux fur on the beach outside their California home.

Blonde beauties: Keith Richard's Wife and Daughters on the cover of Town & Country. They reveal how hard Patti's fight with cancer has been for the family

But though the shoot paints a picture of familial bliss, they reveal in the accompanying interview how Patti's cancer took its toll on every single one of them.

Theodora, 26, who is a model like her mother and sister, admitted: 'It was absolutely terrifying. Really, mum is the glue that holds us all together.'

Patti was more matter-of-fact: 'It was depressing. But it wasn't a shock that I had cancer,' she told the magazine.
'I wasn't like, "Oh woe is me." You know? I just felt "Ok, well that's my number."'

Hellraisers: Despite a party-girl reputation of her own, Patti is credited with bringing stability to Keith's rock'n'roll ways
In fact, Alexandra, 25, revealed, it was her father, 69, who struggled most with the diagnosis.

'Dad did not take it well. We all wanted to stay strong for him.'

The couple met in 1979 at Studio 54, Patti's reputation preceding her.

'She was known for stepping off a plane in transparent shorts with no underwear'

Known for taking acid during a photo shoot, she had infamously 'knock[ed] a photographer senseless after he got too fresh,' and once 'stepp[ed] off a plane in transparent shorts with no underwear.'

They married after fittingly rock'n'roll beginnings and a 'Keef-style courtship' that saw Keith smashing his guitar on a table the first time he met Patti's parents, 'before breaking down in remorseful tears.'

But as much as her past had its wild side, the 'Bible-believing Christian' has brought 'stability' to her erratic husband's life.

Beauties: Theodora and Alexandra with their mother Patti at an Ungaro show in Paris. The sisters say they are the very best of friends

Patti, now fully recovered from her ordeal, has recently launched a range of bags with her best friend, taking them jetsetting around the world.

'Keith's very amused by it,' she said. 'He's like "Oooh, you can be the breadwinner."'

The Richards' daughters, who are nicknamed T&A after the Stones song Tattoo You, told how they are 'best friends'.

Theodora even has Alexandra's initials tattooed on the back of her neck.

Alexandra echoed the sentiment, adding: 'My sister was born to be my best friend.'

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:16pm by moy »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #219 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Great pics. Still unbeleivable how good Patti looks. WOW

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Keith Richards has eye operation on failing vision
Reply #220 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:47pm
Keith Richards has eye operation on failing vision

by Tom Bryant, Daily Mirror
6/01/2012
http://www.mirror.co.uk

Keith Richards

He’s the most indestructible man in music having survived decades of drug abuse and even a brain haemorrhage.  

But it seems the ravages of time have finally caught up with Keith Richards who has had eye surgery to correct his failing vision.

The legendary Rolling Stones guitarist had the treatment done at a London clinic before Christmas to celebrate his 68th birthday.

It’s understood it took about 15 minutes and means he doesn’t need specs. The laser surgery uses reshapes the cornea surface.

A source said: “He’s music’s ultimate survivor but not even the seemingly immortal Keith ­Richards can stop the march of time. It was a harmless, quick procedure and he’s very happy with the results.”

A friend said Keef wore an eyepatch after the op, making him look like a ­character from film Pirates of the Caribbean which he starred in.

The rocker is no stranger to surgery. He had an operation for a fractured skull after falling out of a coconut tree on a 2006 holiday in Fiji. Richards gave up heroin in 1978 after being arrested five times but did not stop taking cocaine until the fall.

In his autobiography Life he puts the fact that he’s still alive down to his self-control even in his most hedonistic days.

He said: “I was very meticulous about how much I took. I’d never put more in to get a little higher. Maybe that’s a measure of control and maybe I’m rare in that respect.”
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:51pm by moy »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #221 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:33pm
So Keith had the same corrective laser surgery that thousands of other people get every day?

Where's the news in that?  Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #222 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Now this is news. Hey Keith, I hope that's Patti!  LOL

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #223 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:33pm:
So Keith had the same corrective laser surgery that thousands of other people get every day?

Where's the news in that?  Oh no! not you again

Would you rather hear about Chaz Bono's penis?

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #224 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 7:24am
Where is Lefty?

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #225 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:58pm
The, er, eyes have it. Especially in Theo's case? Lovely.
Oh no! not you again

theodorarichards_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #226 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:57pm
Nellcote wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 7:24am:
Where is Lefty?

That's what I was thinking. Last month or so.

Prolly saving up for the biggest Stones news of all - The Tour.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #227 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm
Where is Lefty?

He's fine, happy to report. He's enjoying all the new Stones and Who releases!

... ... ...
IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #228 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:08pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm:
Where is Lefty?

He's fine, happy to report. He's enjoying all the new Stones and Who releases!

This is good news, thanks!

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #229 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:47pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:20am:
Feel better...

April 28th

Wasn't Keith recording something ? , no one speak about it , is this project lay down ?

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #230 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:42am

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #231 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 12:07pm
lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)