Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch "Dead Flowers!
Camping World Stadium ORLANDO, FL June 3, 2024 © ronnie-woody

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Keith News (Read 50,756 times)
steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Re: Keith News
Reply #100 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Keith's got a new Superheavy band now too?

With THOSE two people?

Love to hear that photo shoot conversation...

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #101 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:48am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:58am:
Keith's on the new Tom Waits album 'Bad As Me', out next week.
He plays on four tracks, including a duet on the haunting 'Last Leaf'.

Check out badasme.com for a code to stream the album.

Pretty wild.  Thanks for helping me check it out.  It's all good (especially 6-12) but my favorite is 'Pay Me', for lyrics and piano.  Tom's voice reminds me a little of Keith's.   

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #102 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:32am
steel driving hammer wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am:

With THOSE two people?

Just read the cover - all is revealed.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:34am by Ginda »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:38am
Ginda wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:32am:
steel driving hammer wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:40am:

With THOSE two people?

Just read the cover - all is revealed.

I was being foolish.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #104 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:27am

From Mark Seliger's GQ shoot:

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:33am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #105 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:35am
 His fingers are getting better!

All you gotta do is strum!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #106 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 11:59am
Ginda wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:48am:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:58am:
Keith's on the new Tom Waits album 'Bad As Me', out next week.
He plays on four tracks, including a duet on the haunting 'Last Leaf'.

Check out badasme.com for a code to stream the album.

Pretty wild.  Thanks for helping me check it out.  It's all good (especially 6-12) but my favorite is 'Pay Me', for lyrics and piano.  Tom's voice reminds me a little of Keith's.

Album's flat-out brilliant, imo.

Mick and Keith get namechecked on 'Satisfied', one of the tunes Keith plays on.
Love the riffage on 'Hell Broke Luce'.

Anybody else give a listen? Frye?? Bueller???
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011 at 12:06pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #107 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 4:52pm

Excellent Tom Waits interview posted @ Pitchfork today.
Keith bits are below, but the whole thing's sublime.

Pitchfork: Keith Richards plays guitar and sings on this album. How far do you go back with him?

TW: Rain Dogs. I was being ridiculous. First of all, my wife Kathleen said, "Why don't you get Keith Richards on here? You love him. You love what he does. We're in New York and he lives in New York." And I go, "Oh, I gotta listen to this shit."

So then I was talking to the record company and they say, "Any guests you want on the record?" And I said, "What about Keith Richards?" I was just joking, but somebody went ahead and called him. And then he said, "Yeah." And I said, "Now we're really in trouble."

I was really nervous. He came with about 600 guitars in a semi-truck. And a butler. We were in these huge studios in New York, like The Poseidon Adventure. Huge, high ceilings in these rooms like football fields. They'd fill these things up with orchestras and we were in there with five guys. It felt a little weird. He killed me. I was really knocked out that he played on all those things.

Pitchfork: The song "Satisfied" references the Stones and Keith. Was it written with the idea that he would play on it?

TW:  It's just a shout out. I was just caught up in the moment. And then making it kind of an answer to ["Satisfaction"]: "Can't get no satisfaction... my ass, you can't get no satisfaction!" So that was just being refuckulous. It's an evangelical litany of life affirmations. It's devotional music, really. It was a goof. Les Claypool played bass on it, my son played drums, Keith. It caught on.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #108 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 5:59pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:33am:
GQ Magazine, November 2011:

http://goo.gl/OB7YO

THE COOLEST THING ON THAT COVER IS THE BLONDE TELE

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #109 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 6:01pm
" THE COOLEST THING ON THAT COVER IS THE BLONDE TELE  "

Perks .........................................................

What happened to your avatar(s)  ?

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #110 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:07am

SiriusXM's "One Night Only" at Studio 54 - NYC, October 18, 2011:

http://goo.gl/kcCxr

http://goo.gl/Ci2sD

http://goo.gl/cXehx

http://goo.gl/v6A4Q
Mike Coppola/Getty Images
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:31am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #111 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:09am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:34am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #112 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:21am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:12am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #113 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:24am
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:18am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #114 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:55am
These by Kevin Mazur, thanks moy

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #115 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 7:59am
OUCH! Some are repeated will edit later... gotta go right now!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #116 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:09am
RO REMAINS the best site for photos.
Damn, Patti always looks amazing.
Keith is one lucky man.

LJ.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #117 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:47am

Oh, love this one  Smiley
Patti looks great!
Keith too  Cool

FotiniD  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #118 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:21am

Keith Richards

In case you're wondering, no, he didn't think he'd still be here either. So what does sneaking up on 70 feel like when you're Keith Richards?
GQ's Chris Heath speaks to rock's cat with nine lives about being the guy who makes sure the Stones keep on rolling

http://goo.gl/VYGax
Mark Seliger

He sits on a sofa, sipping from a plastic cup, answering a few questions about the life—"I've led so many lives....Which life are you talking about?"—that has led him here.

What remains for you to achieve?

"I've never tried to achieve anything. I achieved everything I wanted to achieve by being in the Rolling Stones and making records. That was the only real goal in my life, ever, but since that happened so quickly, like a laser beam...I think the next goal was not to become one-hit wonders. I mean, after that, no real goal, except to sort of keep on going. I mean, what does an entertainer do, basically? You get onstage and make other people feel happy. Make them feel good. Turn them on."

Is that the word you prefer? "Entertainer" more than "musician"?

"I wouldn't want to impress them with musicianship. I want them there because they want to be there and because they know that they're going to have a damn good time. I wouldn't take it any higher than that."

And what's the joy or fulfilment in achieving that?

"Well, you'd have to be there, pal. To know what it's like to be on a Stones stage with an audience. The exchange of energy that goes on. It's immeasurable. In fact they don't have meters to do it."

What does physically making music give to you?

"Well, it's better than drugs."

People may listen to that, coming from you.

"And the fact that I've written a lot of music on drugs doesn't negate that statement. I mean, give me a guitar, give me a piano, give me a broom and string, I wouldn't get bored anywhere. I could break out of jail on that stuff and still be in jail. It's a freedom nobody can take from you."

Is there anything you still need to prove?

"To prove? I was innocent! Of everything!"
___

Richards likes to play guitar every single day. Maybe an hour or so. "Afternoons, evenings. Pick around, play some Robert Johnson blues, hopefully make an incredible beautiful mistake which will lead me into another area. I do it for me. You know, I'm a selfish son of a bitch. I do it because it turns me on." (As for the mornings...here's more than you wanted to know about how each bright new twenty-first-century-Keith-Richards day begins: "First we have the bowel movement. Cool, that's that out of the way. Seen a friend off to the coast. And then you see what's on the agenda....")

It's a routine (the guitar playing, not the other one) that was disrupted while he was working on his million-selling autobiography, Life. "I hardly played at all for two years," he says. After our conversation, he is due in the studio with drummer Steve Jordan, his partner in his sometime other band, the X-Pensive Winos. "I'm sort of basically recovering from the book, and this is my therapy at the moment," he explains. "In the process of doing it, my chops are coming back." So far, they've got six songs that may or may not turn into an album. "Songwriting's a weird game. I never intended to become one—I fell into this by mistake, and I can't get out of it. It fascinates me. I like to point out the rawer points of life." That chuckle. "I work the seamier side of life."

And, I note, it's been good to him.

He nods. A sly grin. "There's a lot of seam," he says.

When I ask Richards what he thinks his talent has been, his initial answer relates to his key role in the Rolling Stones. "The ability to work with a team," he says. "To focus a bunch of musicians...to generate enthusiasm even in the face of adversity." I press him further about his individual gift. "You know, I'm a mere balladeer," he demurs. "A minstrel. I mean, when I consider what my job is, it's maybe an even older profession than what they call the oldest profession. I'm sure somebody sung a song before the first whore walked out there."

In his book, one gets the sense that, in recent decades, he considers all the periods when the Rolling Stones are not in action to be time in some kind of waiting room. He doesn't dispute this. "Yeah," he laughs. "A lot of it's purgatory. Luckily I have a few other distractions: 'Oh, I'm in purgatory—come on, honey, let's go to bed.' " For now, the group is preparing an expanded version of its late-'70s high point, Some Girls. And he holds out hopes of escaping purgatory soon: "Next year is sort of up for grabs," says Richards. "It's almost an overwhelming power—it'll be fifty years. So there's that sort of pressure. If I can pull them together, I'm there."

The extraordinary dynamic between Richards and Mick Jagger—dysfunctional, magical, cruel, loving, dismissive—runs through Life. Richards is so hard on his partner, particularly in the later years, that I think a lot of readers, myself included, were surprised to find themselves feeling sorry for Jagger.

"Oh, now, I can understand that," says Richards. "Life's life. I really don't want to go into it anymore, because what is in the book is in the book, and the fact is that Mick and I still talk and are still working together. So maybe that was another balance that needed to be sorted out. Mick and me, two guys divided by love."

One issue seems to have bubbled on in the press since publication—with, most recently, Pete Townshend speaking out to say that he has observed the scorned anatomy in question and that Richards had his facts wrong about Jagger's genitalia. So I ask: Is it ultimately gentlemanly to deride a friend's penis size?

"Between friends I think anything's allowed," replies Richards. "I mean, I've never seen it. I only heard." I begin to speak again, and then Richards gives me the look. He is jolly, jokey, witty, amiable company until you decline a clear hint to gently withdraw from a subject. Then he gazes right at you, and his voice changes, in a way that clearly seems to convey: I'm being nice and charming to you here, but don't push your luck, sonny boy, because I've spat out people a hundred times smarter than you. "But I ain't going there anymore," he says firmly. I nod, and he adds, "It was a joke. Between friends a joke's a joke, and if you can't take a joke..."
___

What do you know now that you didn't know at 40?

"I didn't know I'd make 68."

Do you get a sense of how people imagine you now?

"It's weird. It changed, because of the book mainly. There's always going to be 'Keef'—you know, the one that closed down the liquor stores because he threatened to dry out. And in a way, I've always felt honored by turning into a sort of cartoon. An icon sort of character. And I'm interested in building him up."

Because it's fun, or flattering, or useful?

"Well, it's fun, and you're not going to get away from it. The image is a ball and chain, and you've got to live with it. And, yeah, that is part of me. Old Keef. You know. The drug one. But since the book came out there's 'Actually he can talk.... He's read a book or two.' I don't particularly care whether people know that or not. But it's a nice counterbalance to 'Keef.' Presidents speak to me now."

How do you want people to remember you?

"I want everybody to have a great laugh. Don't be sorry. About myself I have no great illusions. I know what I am. I know what I'm good at. I know what I ain't. I'm always hoping to surprise myself. But I do have a love of music and I do love to communicate it, and that's the best I can do, really. And I can raise a good family, too."

Are there any words you wish wouldn't appear in your obituary?

"No, they can write as long as they want. 'That fucking asshole...' I'd love to hear what they say."
___

Even Keith Richards has made certain concessions to the passage of time. This afternoon the plastic cup in his hand is filled with nothing more than orange soda. "I don't drink till the sun goes down," he says. "I cut back. Extremely. You see, it was other people that were worried about my drinking—not me. Other people, including wifey." He chuckles. "So then I straightened up and they're, 'Well, you're no different....' "

And when the sun goes down?

"A shot of vodka and whatever. A martini. More than anything, wine with dinner. It'd be so uncivilized not to have a glass of wine with dinner."

He starts telling me, almost shyly, about the pleasure he gets from his grandchildren, as though he is surprised to have found himself in a place where this is such an important part of his life. "I'm eternally grateful to be here to enjoy that bit," he says. (Nonetheless, anyone who imagines that he is no longer Keith Richards in the moments when he is Grandpa Keith will be reassured by an intimate detail he shares of the kind of time they spend together: "They're well-trained...empty the ashtray...")

Just before I leave, I mention to him The New Yorker's succinct description of his book: "A slurry romp through the life of a man who knew every pleasure, denied himself nothing, and never paid the price".

"So far," he agrees. "I'm waiting for the check. But I'll gladly pay it. And I'll give you a tip on top. It was worth it."
___

Do you still carry a knife?

"Yeah. Not with me today. It's gone in for sharpening."

___

HEAR GQ's ULTIMATE KEITH RICHARDS PLAYLIST AT SPOTIFY

http://goo.gl/7ji5K

GQ

Outstanding read...love me some Keith!
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:39am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #119 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:43am
I'd like to see the video...

http://goo.gl/v6A4Q

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #120 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Great GQ interview!  Charming and disarming as always.  However - about that "joke" he references?  I think it backfired.  He sounds as tired of talking about it as I am of hearing about it.

Thanks for posting.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 5:32pm by Ginda »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #121 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 7:45am

Unadorned GQ cover:

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #122 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:16am

Free stream of the new Tom Waits album 'Bad As Me' ends tomorrow.
Go to badasme.com for an access code.

Album gets better with each listen...and Keith sounds louder, too.

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Reply #123 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Good interview.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #124 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm
The GQ cover is so odd looking. Keef is surrounded by dirtbags!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)