Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ronnie Plays with Pearl Jam at  Shepherds Bush (Read 2,288 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Ronnie Plays with Pearl Jam at  Shepherds Bush
Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:20pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Pearl Jam were joined onstage by The Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood as they made their UK live comeback at London's O2 Shepherds Bush Empire last night (August 11).

Playing in front of fanclub members who packed the venue, the Seattle band saw early tracks like 'Why Go' and 'Diffident' rapturously received by the crowd, while poppy new single 'The Fixer', from their forthcoming album, 'Backspacer', also drew loud applause.

Frontman Eddie Vedder was in humorous form throughout the show, asking the crowd about the episode of reality TV show 'Big Brother' he'd watched in his hotel the night before.

"It was just some people sleeping," he puzzled. "Do you know that show? I couldn't bear the tension."

Early in the set, Vedder introduced Wood onstage, who then led the band through a bluesy version of Bob Dylan's 'All Along the Watchtower', during which he traded licks with guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard.

Pearl Jam later played a lengthy version of 'Even Flow' and their 1991 debut single 'Alive', which provoked a mass sing-a-long from the capacity crowd.

The band returned for two encores, which included fan favourite 'Last Exit' and solo spot from Vedder for new song 'The End'.

At the end of their two-and-a-half hour set the band then took a collective bow as a humbled Vedder thanked the crowd for their support throughout the years.

Pearl Jam played:

'Sometimes'
'Interstellar Overdrive/'Corduroy'
'The Fixer'
'All Along The Watchtower'
'Why Go'
'Dissident'
'Severed Hand'
'Given To Fly'
'Low Light'
'Even Flow'
'Present Tense'
'Save You'
'Down'
'Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town'
'Brother'
'Do The Evolution'
'Got Some'
'The End'
'Inside Job'
'Betterman'
'Alive'
'Soldier Of Love'
'State Of Love And Trust'
'The Real Me'
'Yellow Ledbetter'

'Backspacer' is released on September 21.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:41pm by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Ronnie Plays with Pearl Jam at  Shephards Bush
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:03am
More from RollingStone.com:

Pearl Jam Break Out New Songs, Rarities, Ronnie Wood in London
8/12/09, 10:41 am EST

Last night in London Pearl Jam broke out rarities, brand new songs and even the Rolling Stones’ Ronnie Wood. Playing in the legendary Shepherd’s Bush Empire, Eddie Vedder and Co. kicked off the evening with “Sometimes” from No Code before briefly visiting Pink Floyd’s “Interstellar Overdrive,” which served as a segue into “Corduroy.” The band then introduced “The Fixer,” the first single from their upcoming Backspacer, to the 2,000 stoked fans packed inside the tiny venue.

Just four songs into the gig, frontman Vedder told the unsuspecting crowd, “You’re supposed to save the best for last, but we’re not,” as Wood sauntered onstage to lend his guitar skills to “All Along the Watchtower.” The group reveled in the moment while jamming out at length to the Dylan masterpiece before riding the momentum with inspired takes on old favorites “Why Go” and “Dissident.”

The energy of Wood’s appearance returned midway through the first set during “Even Flow” as Mike McCready bolstered the track with searing guitar leads and Matt Cameron added a thunderous drum solo. The band also dusted off gems including “Down,” “Present Tense” and “Low Light” for the fan club only audience. Pearl Jam introduced “Brother” and “Got Some,” two more tracks from Backspacer, at the end of the 18-song first set, separating the two with “Do the Evolution.”

A solo Vedder opened the first encore with an acoustic performance of “The End,” the last track on the new album (watch it, above). The band returned for “Inside Job” and the crowd took over on “Betterman,” singing along on the first two verses with gusto. When the band launched into “Alive,” the room seemed to time-travel back to the early ’90s as crowd surfers stumbled their way to the front of the stage.

Answering the calls for a second encore, the band reclaimed the stage and Vedder spoke about his introduction to Arthur Alexander, the composer of their next tune, “Soldier of Love.” After rocking out to “State of Love and Trust” Pearl Jam enlisted Simon Townsend for help on his older brother’s tune “The Real Me” from the Who’s Quadrophenia. The familiar first notes of “Yellow Ledbetter” signaled the end as Vedder told the faithful, “This is how we say goodbye.”

Pearl Jam’s mini European tour continues Thursday in Rotterdam with additional stops in Berlin, Manchester and London’s O2 Arena. The band recently announced more U.S. dates this fall and will also play a half-dozen outdoor gigs in Australia and New Zealand. Backspacer is due out on September 22nd.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:05am

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:21am
did woody actually play or just mug for the camera's?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:26am
God bless Ronnie Wood!!!!

He is the last real Rolling Stone!

While the others are off playing cricket, walking poodles and attending equestrian events, Woody is still out rockin! He's jammed this year with Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck and is busy jet setting with his hot new girlfriend. He is a true Rolling Stone!!!

The others... not so much anymore.

smoking more weed is good for your health

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

LanternHigh
Rocks Off Regular

Italy
Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 12:13pm
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:05am:

All Along The watchtower
good one

Ron is my favorite Stones right now.

...&&...
https://www.facebook.com/  
IP Logged

LanternHigh
Rocks Off Regular

Italy
Pearl Jam plus Ronnie All along the watchtower
Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 12:59pm
I've see it a minute ago. is an awesome one video.
Perfect work from Ronnie
Our only Stone still playing

Well done Ronnie
Smiley

...&&...
https://www.facebook.com/  
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:29pm
Saint Sway wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:26am:

While the others are off playing cricket, walking poodles and attending equestrian events, Woody is still out rockin! He's jammed this year with Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck and is busy jet setting with his hot new girlfriend. He is a true Rolling Stone!!!

It's great that he's active, but ... as usual of late, he can't play his way out of a paper bag.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:33pm
shouldnt this be in the weeding thread?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:07pm
should pug be thanked over and over?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:23pm
Go Ronnie Go!!!!  You da man!!  Let's go get drunk Better seen on weed! Let's go get drunk

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Moonisup
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:30pm
good to see him play,

Let's hope Keith's ready too...

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:56pm
ronnie be good

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

glimmertwinfan
Rocks Off Regular

Michigan
Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 4:56pm
You can say what you want about Ronnie, and many people say not very nice things, but you have to respect his ability to maintain friendships, play at the drop of the hat anywhere with anyone, and his energy. I wish Keith would get the bug to play live and start jet-setting around doing gigs like RW seems to always find a way too.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:47pm
glimmertwinfan wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 4:56pm:
You can say what you want about Ronnie, and many people say not very nice things, but you have to respect his ability to maintain friendships, play at the drop of the hat anywhere with anyone, and his energy. I wish Keith would get the bug to play live and start jet-setting around doing gigs like RW seems to always find a way too.

Let me say this about that, as Nixon used to say: Ronnie is the Stones' best ambassador to the world's quality young(-ish) bands. Keith couldn't give a crap about anyone who's not dead or black; Mick's tastes in current music, while certainly more lively than Keith's, are generally very crappy, from Michael Jackson to Jamiroquai to Amy Winehouse ... It's left to Ronnie to fraternize with great bands who've been influenced by and love the Stones.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: Ronnie Plays with Pearl Jam at  Shepherds Bush
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 7:12pm
seems the video has been deleted....bummer,  i was just about set to give it another listen

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:47pm:
glimmertwinfan wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 4:56pm:

Let me say this about that, as Nixon used to say: Ronnie is the Stones' best ambassador to the world's quality young(-ish) bands. Keith couldn't give a crap about anyone who's not dead or black; Mick's tastes in current music, while certainly more lively than Keith's, are generally very crappy, from Michael Jackson to Jamiroquai to Amy Winehouse ... It's left to Ronnie to fraternize with great bands who've been influenced by and love the Stones.

QFT.  It would be nice if our guys had taste in music that wasn't trendy (Mick and his Black Eyed Peas) or so obvious (Keith and Muddy; he's too lazy or stubborn to like anything else as you say) and they came out and said they liked artistslike the Black Keys or A. Krauss (two of Robert Plants favorites).  Ronnie is the only one who could possibly get a cool band like PJ to open for the Stones; if only he had as much say as the Glimmers!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:59am
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:29pm:

It's great that he's active, but ... as usual of late, he can't play his way out of a paper bag.

Neither can Keith. So what? At least he's out rocking!

Plus, Ronnie was great in Shine A Light!

He's still got it!

think about it... without him there'd of been no guitar on "You Got The Silver" on the last tour.

My point is, even with dimished skills, Ronnie is still the Ronnie we've always loved. He's still a Rolling Stone to this day. Still out galavanting and rocking. The others are more interested in sitting around and playing shuffle board.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:11am
Saint Sway wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:59am:
Mel Belli wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:29pm:

Neither can Keith. So what? At least he's out rocking!

Plus, Ronnie was great in Shine A Light!

He's still got it!

think about it... without him there'd of been no guitar on "You Got The Silver" on the last tour.

My point is, even with dimished skills, Ronnie is still the Ronnie we've always loved. He's still a Rolling Stone to this day. Still out galavanting and rocking. The others are more interested in sitting around and playing shuffle board.

Well said Sway; especially re Ronnie's performance in Shine A Light.
Just listened to the Soundtrack after a few months and was reminded just how GOOD he was.
Now bring on the Tour.

LJ.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:16am by LadyJane »  

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:13am
You know, LJ, if it was up to Ronnie, the Stones would be playing a gig this very second.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:49am
Saint Sway wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:13am:
You know, LJ, if it was up to Ronnie, the Stones would be playing a gig this very second.

Ronnie also happens to be the only one going through a very expensive divorce right now. Of course he'd love to be doing a gig right this very second. Ouch!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:03pm
Ronnie's monetary concerns being what they may be has no effect on him doing what he loves - playing live! It certainly hasnt stopped him from traveling around the world to play with other bands on his own dime.

if the Stones went out and did a tour like other bands - small gross, theatre shows... riding in a van -- Ronnie would have no problem doing it and even love it. The others??? Not a chance in hell.

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 9:31am
All the videos were removed, this is "new" watch before it's gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5PMj-nOujQ

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 10:07am
Echo whats said above about Ronnie - for all his flaws - being the only Stone who still seems interested in playing anywhere and with anyone for the pure love of music. Its ironic because it appears that hes the only band member who could realistically be expected to have any financial motivation for a mega tour.

How many shows has Keith guested on during the last 10-15 years? Ten at most?

Interesting to see that this PJ show was one for fan club members, in a small theatre and with a setlist appararently choc-full of rarities.

In a dream world, you can just imagine Ronnie mentioning that idea as a concept for what could be an intergral part of the next Stones tour and the rest of the band's eyes lighting up at the prospect.

However, we all know how far Ronnie's well-intentioned ideas usually go (releasing an album every 18 months in future (1997), playing entire albums at theatre shows (2002), playing a 'Ronnie Wood & Fiends' show in London every month (2005)...)...

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009 at 10:08am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 10:34am
Tom wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 9:31am:
All the videos were removed, this is "new" watch before it's gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5PMj-nOujQ

That video is even better quality than the one that was posted.

Yes I am agreeing with Sway and Gazza.  At least Ronnie is out in the public eye rockin and rollin and staying current, so to speak...

I guess he is the youngest Stone and we could expect that and we must not forget...he has a young little thing he has to keep impressing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)