Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Paulie on Letterman tomorrow! (nsc) (Macca Thread) (Read 12,107 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Paulie on Letterman tomorrow! (nsc)
Reply #125 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:30pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bitch wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:10am:
The fact that MICK was at the McCartney show does show he is checking out the competition! The Stones were checking out the New Yankee Stadium to be the first to do a concert there, but Macca beat them to it with being the first to open CitiField (formerly Shea Stadium home of the NY Mets) so maybe MICK is still pondering this.
and
Yesterday I got an email from The Beacon ~ Steely Dan tickets are being discounted to $99 from $172. Still too much. This means the shows arent sold out, several nights at the Beacon in mid August are booked. They over-estimated the fan base, or overpriced the tickets, or both.  

I heard the shows were now postponed for NYC!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Steely Dan In NYC
Reply #126 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:43pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:14pm:
Steely Dan were really hot in their day, but no new music = boring concert, such as The Police.

Steely Dan have released new music in recent years and toured behind it - 'Two Against Nature' and 'Everything Must Go'.

The current Beacon run is a little different.
Some of the shows will feature albums in their entirety - 'Aja', 'Gaucho', and 'The Royal Scam'.
Others will have the setlists determined by internet requests, shades of the Stones BTB tour.

Dan Aquilante of the NY Post's review of Tuesday's 'Aja' show:

Duo goes back to their old school

The kings of jazz rock -- Steely Dan -- are still reelin' in the ears for an eight-show Beacon Theatre residency that opened Tuesday with a towering performance.

At this show, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen sang that they'd never go "back to their old school" -- yet the band's principals were totally old-school in their pristine, studio-quality versions of their hits.

The concert bowed with a front-to-back, note-for-note rendition of their classic jazz-rock masterpiece "Aja," the band's best-selling album. It's ranked No. 143 among Rolling Stone's top 500 albums. Subsequent New York performances will give the same treatment to SD albums "The Royal Scam" and "Gaucho."

How close to the record were guitarist Becker and keyboardist Fagen?

Dead on.

Just to give the audience a Steely Dan-ish hint at the band's goal, on the side of the stage was an actual turntable, with the record on it. When the band finished "Deacon Blues," the last song on side one, a back-up singer flipped the vinyl to side two and set down the needle again.

Despite bellyaching about a cold, Fagen's vocals were excellent, surprisingly supple as he reached for the high notes.

The most devoted SD fans could probably tell you the differences between the complicated original version of "I Got the News" and the rest from these live renderings. But even a casual fan could discern the underlying cool of the originals, released 32 years ago, at the heart of this concert.

And while the flow of the album as it moves from "Black Cow" to title track "Aja" happens with the ease of taking a deep breath, hearing the songs live highlights the quality and consistency of this music. There isn't a single weak tune in the batch.

Yes, the middle show was a little slow, but the band made up for it with a greatest-hits closer featuring "Hey Nineteen," "My Old School," "Kid Charlemagne" and an audience-rousing encore of "Reeling in the Years." If you're a Steely Dan fan, catching one of these shows is a must.

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2009 at 4:00pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #127 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:45pm
"  Have yo seen them lately Joey? "

Yes Bitch and they were excellent .

You see Bitch ,  as you well know  , the best Steely Dan has to offer is not apparent to a casual listener, and doesn't reveal itself immediately. Dan tunes are generally complex, and it takes effort, and time, to fully appreciate their true beauty. Most pop tunes are quite the opposite, all flash but little substance. Of course, the boys are such good songwriters they can even capture the attention of the great masses, with their beautiful melodies and pop hooks, from time to time.

But it goes further than that, even. Unlike most popular artists, Don and Walt do not pander to their audience and/or write songs based on what was popular to the masses. They made music for themselves, first and foremost. Very few artists have exercised that kind of artistic integrity and maintained it over such a long period of time. Add to that their great reluctance to do the things most artists are willing to do, to sell records and further their popular stardom. Don and Walt have no interest in being "Rock Stars".

In many ways, I reverse the question  and wonder, "How did so many Steely Dan songs ever become popular with the great unwashed?" They were lucky to be around at the right time, when radio played diverse music, and wasn't as beholden to the consultant-driven playlists and cross-media forces that exist today.

It's clear to me that many who grew to like the Dan during the 70's, were drawn to the pop-side of their music. What might be less clear (but no less true) is a large percentage of those people have some trouble with the newer stuff, which lacks some of the flash of their earlier stuff...but still retains the substance. Just like Dan past, the new stuff grows and glows after repeated listening. The songs are, on the whole, more fully realized. But let's face it, they have fewer shiny things (wailing guitar solos, killer pop hooks) for those who need to have instant gratification in order to facilitate further listening.

I agree that many simply have not been properly exposed to the music of Steely Dan, and they would be better off, musically, if they were. But I also have enjoyed the bond serious Dan fans have with each other, the secret we share, that others are either incapable of knowing or unwilling to learn. It's good to see the boys experience a bit of a revival in public appreciation/adoration, from time to time. I just hope that appreciation never gets too widespread, as it will be a sure indication they are doing something wrong.

'kins .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/arts/music/30steely.html?
_r=1&scp=3&sq=steely%20dan&st=cse

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #128 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:57pm

Nice C&P job there, JoJo...

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2009 at 4:19pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #129 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 4:01pm
I caught a Steely Dan show last year. It was quite excellent. Mixed up the setlist very nicely. I would love to see them do all of The Royal Scam live. Can't fit it in the budget though. Too much BRUUUCE.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #130 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:00am
ok (as usual) I stand corrected. Maybe I'll check into this a little bit further with the new music and whats going on with The Beacon run. Guess it's worth $99 for a theatre show.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #131 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:06am
"  Maybe I'll check into this a little bit further with the new music and whats going on with The Beacon run. Guess it's worth $99 for a theatre show."

Amen Bitch !!!!!!

On Don:

"In a band with almost zero stage presence, he’s a wild card, a kind of gothic Muppet: arms moving up and down like monster claws, jaw opening wide on every line. His voice faltered a few times, the normal erosion of age. But he was deep in the music, singing rhythmically and playing astonishingly good keyboards: unprepossessing solos, swinging, nasty and percussive, a cross between Count Basie and Ray Charles."

This is mighty tasty stuff. Full review here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/arts/music/30steely.html

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #132 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:08am
bringing steely dan into a mccartney thread is like talking about the latest issue of "penthouse forum" in a shakespeare class.

nice cut n past joey...with max gone, are you ripping off real writers now?

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #133 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:29am

Joey's SD musings are courtesy of www.dandom.com

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:02pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #134 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:28pm
" nice cut n past joey...with max gone, are you ripping off real writers now "

... !!!!!!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #135 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:51pm

Joey - ripping off other people's material since 1999. ™
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:57pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #136 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:54pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:51pm:
Joey - ripping off other people's material since 1999 ™.

Too bad he couldn't rip off some good material once in a while. Spooky post

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #137 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 9:38am
" Maybe I'll check into this a little bit further with the new music and whats going on with The Beacon run. Guess it's worth $99 for a theatre show.  "

For My Bitch !!!!! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZmn3gXWzE

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #138 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 6:32pm
So far I have excellent recordings of them playing Aja, Gaucho and The Royal Scam...for those of you who use bittorrent you can d/l them at www.thetradersden.org.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #139 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 7:19pm
" So far I have excellent recordings of them playing Aja, Gaucho and The Royal Scam...for those of you who use bittorrent you can d/l them at www.thetradersden.org. "

Bob .......................................

You have a PM !!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Paul McCartney to embark on his big farewell tour
Reply #140 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 6:51pm
Paul McCartney to embark on his big farewell tour in 2010
Jul
31 Source: hellomagazine.ca
  Comments (13)
Updated: Jul.31,2009 10:43  Subscribe to stories like this   

Beatles legend Paul McCartney will be going on the road for the final time next year with a string of huge concerts to mark his retirement.

According to the Sun, the 67-year-old is in talks to play at landmark locations around the world including China's Tiananmen Square and Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin - the crossing point of the old Berlin wall.

"Paul wants to go out with a bang," a source told the paper. "He's played countless stadiums over his 50-year career and is on the hunt for the most unusual locations he can find."

"The tour in 2010 is likely to last well over a year, by which time he will be almost 70."

"He might play the odd benefit gig if the likes of President Obama gives him a bell - but other than that he'll be putting his feet up and enjoying retirement." 

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Re: Paul McCartney to embark on his big farewell t
Reply #141 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 8:04pm
look for ringo to make an appearance at a few shows.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #142 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:40pm
A Farewell Tour is sad. Endings are sad. It's almost like saying this is the last tour before I'm going to die.  Cry

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #143 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 10:02pm
I think in the next few years we are going to see this more and more from our favorites. I'll definately go see Paul on that tour somewhere.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

2000monkey
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #144 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:05pm
Just internet gossip along the lines of "This is the last Stones tour ever". Paul hasn't said he's quitting in 2010. On the other hand, until this decade he didn't really tour all that frequently.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #145 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 12:46am
Bitch wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:40pm:
A Farewell Tour is sad. Endings are sad. It's almost like saying this is the last tour before I'm going to die.  Cry

retirement is just that... but it's good to stop and enjoy your life and take it easy and then die. it's not sad at all, it's very beautiful...

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #146 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 11:54pm
I do not care for Macca.
I will not be attending these shows.
Please alert the appropriate media.
Thank you for your cooperation & support.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #147 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 5:10am
I wouldnt be caught dead at one of his shows.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #148 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:01am
Macca can't stop working. He and Heather still have a daughter to raise.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #149 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:57am

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney hasn’t sold out Fenway ... yet

By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Boston Herald.com

Fans may have had enough of Paul McCartney’s silly love songs - and the novelty of seeing a concert at Fenway Park may have worn off.

Unlike Bruce Springsteen, the Police, Dave Matthews and the Rolling Stones, all of whom sold out Fenway Park in minutes, there are still plenty of affordable tickets available for Sir Paul’s shows tonight and tomorrow.

“The economy has taken its toll,” said James Holzman, president of Ace Tickets.

It’s unclear how many tickets are available for the two shows or whether fans can buy seats at the Fenway Park box office.

Heidi Collins at Live Nation, the concert promoter, said the shows were not sold out but refused to disclose any details. She referred calls to McCartney’s New York publicist. But Michelle Barrera, McCartney’s spokeswoman, said in an e-mail, “We do not have that information.”

One thing is clear, however. The concert promoters are scrambling to publicize the show with last-minute commercials on the radio.

The Rolling Stones, who performed at Fenway in 2005, hold the record for the highest average ticket price there at $334, according to StubHub, the online marketplace for ticket buyers and sellers.

A check of Ticketmaster late yesterday found dozens of $69 seats available for McCartney on both nights. An e-mail this week said new tickets had been released “due to production modifications.”

FanSnap.com, a search engine that provides links to tickets from ticket agents, has 1,800 McCartney tickets for the two nights available yesterday starting at $75 and tickets were being offered on the Craigslist Web site for below face value.

Michael Janes, FanSnap’s CEO, said the former Beatle faces tough competition from summer tours. “I’ve never seen so many concerts in one summer,” he said. “There’s lots of musicians competing for the fan’s dollar.”

Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in-chief at Pollstar, a music industry trade magazine, said that selling 80,000 tickets over two nights is a daunting task even in a go-go economy.

“Perhaps people have already seen McCartney before, and if you have to make hard economic choices, maybe you don’t go again,” he said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)