Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Happy birthday!!
After playing "All down the Line" with Sheryl Crow, lick to watch! United Center, Chicago – 31 May 2013 © Paul Natkin

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1976 (Read 1,313 times)
Goo
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Jun 3rd, 2023 at 7:39am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I love this tour
All we got is love you live Paris
They need to release more footage of the 1976
London Frankfurt Paris I’m sure there must be more. The documentary is excellent
We need an official release the black and blue tour

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Re: 1976
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 7:43am
Maybe to coincide with black and blue super deluxe reissue

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 12:50pm
Great set lists

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 2:15pm
Goo wrote on Jun 3rd, 2023 at 7:43am:
Maybe to coincide with black and blue super deluxe reissue

When? I like it!!

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 2:16pm
Goo wrote on Jun 6th, 2023 at 12:50pm:
Great set lists

El Mocambo is a sample

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 5:34pm
The Paris and Knebworth shows were filmed professionally. Not aware of any others.

Coincidentally, just today on our facebook page I posted the video of the full Paris show from this date in 1976 (the 'Aux Abattoirs' TV special comes from three of the four nights)

Here it is :

There was talk a while back of a vaults release for these shows, but maybe it was just an assumption based on the fact that the shows were filmed as well as multitracked.  I'm sure they'll put something out some day, though. Theres a LOT from the Paris shows out there either from pro shot footage or additional footage shown on later French TV broadcasts

Have to say, its one of my least favourite tours. Definitely a step or two down from the 1975 US leg.

Theres pretty much no chance of a Black and Blue deluxe release. They barely finished enough songs for an 8-song LP and what little was left over they worked on for Tattoo You (Worried About You, Slave, Start Me Up)

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 8:27pm
Great vibe ……great guitars

IP Logged

A Bigger Lebowski
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 9:39pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 6th, 2023 at 5:34pm:
Theres pretty much no chance of a Black and Blue deluxe release. They barely finished enough songs for an 8-song LP and what little was left over they worked on for Tattoo You (Worried About You, Slave, Start Me Up)

Sticky Fingers Deluxe didn't have any "new" songs, only alternate versions and live tracks. Plus, they've pulled tracks from entirely different recording sessions for deluxe editions before, and surely aren't above doing it again. So chances are somewhere above zero, even if only to make sure no album from their 70's output gets neglected.

At this point, I'll gladly take instrumental and extended versions, alternate mixes, and tracks that should've gone on Some Girls Deluxe. As long as Mick can stay away from recording new vocals, I'm good.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 4:21am
Agreed the new vocals the worse idea ever

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 6:56am
A Bigger Lebowski wrote on Jun 7th, 2023 at 9:39pm:
At this point, I'll gladly take instrumental and extended versions, alternate mixes, and tracks that should've gone on Some Girls Deluxe.

I would love a release like that!
I mean all remixes, 12 inch dance versions, demos, alternate takes,
acapella takes, extended versions, etc..,all of it collected in  one+ package....ala Beatles Anthologies.

The original 12 inch club version of Miss You is pretty amazing to listen to, in the car, on the back deck or pods...
I danced to it many times in NY clubs back in the early to mid 80s and it RAWKED the house every time.
Alternate live versions? Sure, whatever that means.

In the end, we'll just get GRRRR!! Pt2 I fear

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 10:23am
The new overdubs and vocals are kind of sad

IP Logged

A Bigger Lebowski
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 10:07am
Goo wrote on Jun 8th, 2023 at 10:23am:
The new overdubs and vocals are kind of sad

I wouldn't mind so much if they went full-on Tattoo You II and tinkered with unfinished tracks for a standalone release, or singles that they just released digitally. In fact, I wouldn't mind that at all as we'd probably get some real gems out of it that would never be deemed fit for release otherwise.

But for Deluxe Editions everything should be period specific and stay true to the actual recording sessions. Of course that was botched from the very beginning. Who can tell me the last time they dropped the needle down on "Following The River"? Would've been a perfectly fine album track, or every bit as tolerable as Streets of Love depending where you stand on that. To slip it with Exile outtakes was just an embarrassment though.

Wouldn't sit right for me if they did the same with Black & Blue. The original album is one of the loosest, take-it-or-leave-it records they ever put out. Trying to go back and play around with old song structures would be an absolute joke.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2023 at 7:14am

FFSO Vol#2

^^ Thats what I hear as I read all this ^^

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2023 at 7:49am
Lets not be too sour.
The 10+-min 'Hey Niggly Rita would make most dandies as happy as Gary.
And isn't there a 8 min 'I Luv The Ladies' to celebrate Beckian trousers?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2023 at 5:29pm

Sticky Fingers Deluxe didn't have any "new" songs, only alternate versions and live tracks. Plus, they've pulled tracks from entirely different recording sessions for deluxe editions before, and surely aren't above doing it again. So chances are somewhere above zero, even if only to make sure no album from their 70's output gets neglected.

At this point, I'll gladly take instrumental and extended versions, alternate mixes, and tracks that should've gone on Some Girls Deluxe. As long as Mick can stay away from recording new vocals, I'm good.

Fair point. But SF is a classic album. B&B isnt.  I know thats subjective, but potential sales are a factor. The SF extra songs were a bit underwhelming to put it mildly. Probably because most of the leftovers from the sessions ended up on  either the original Exile or the expanded version.

Even before they started the deluxe reissues in 2011 with Some Girls, the biggest obstacle with releasing leftover Stones songs is that there are so few original compositions that have finished vocals and lyrics. The hundreds of hours of studio bootlegs down the years are testament to that. The way they work on albums suggests that its pretty much the last thing that gets finished.  Even Exile had a lot of stuff thrown on to make it a double album (about half of the songs pre-date Nellcote and almost all of the finished vocals and contributions from other musicians were done in LA in early 1972) - so what they had to work on for both the SF and Exile reissues was pretty sparse.

Strangely, of all the albums theyve done, the one that might lend itself best to an expanded reissue with minimal modern day vocal overdubs is Emotional Rescue.  Maybe even Voodoo Lounge as well.

... ... ...
IP Logged

A Bigger Lebowski
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2023 at 8:32pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 13th, 2023 at 5:29pm:

Fair point. But SF is a classic album. B&B isnt.  I know thats subjective, but potential sales are a factor. The SF extra songs were a bit underwhelming to put it mildly. Probably because most of the leftovers from the sessions ended up on  either the original Exile or the expanded version.

Even before they started the deluxe reissues in 2011 with Some Girls, the biggest obstacle with releasing leftover Stones songs is that there are so few original compositions that have finished vocals and lyrics. The hundreds of hours of studio bootlegs down the years are testament to that. The way they work on albums suggests that its pretty much the last thing that gets finished.  Even Exile had a lot of stuff thrown on to make it a double album (about half of the songs pre-date Nellcote and almost all of the finished vocals and contributions from other musicians were done in LA in early 1972) - so what they had to work on for both the SF and Exile reissues was pretty sparse.

Strangely, of all the albums theyve done, the one that might lend itself best to an expanded reissue with minimal modern day vocal overdubs is Emotional Rescue.  Maybe even Voodoo Lounge as well.

Sticky Fingers is my go-to favorite Stones album, so you'll get no argument from me on your first point. But at this stage, is there any reason to doubt that IORR would be the next album getting the deluxe treatment? (though Voodoo absolutely deserves it, so maybe they jump forward for that first - either way, sooner than later).

After that it would be weird NOT to do something with Black & Blue. Sure it's far from their biggest or best album, but it's loose/funky vibe I think would be pretty palatable with whoever might be ready to give it another listen 50 years later. Also it has an iconic cover image that would be super marketable. Certainly not that huge of a stretch for anyone who picked up the GHS reissue.

It's just a question of what content they would have to put on it. By my count, there are 5 tracks on FFSO alone that wouldn't be out of place (I'm including everything between IORR and Some Girls that hasn't already been part of a reissue) Sure it's being generous to include anything recorded in 1977, but you can't say they've been any more faithful to a particular era for the other Deluxe albums. From there it can be easily padded with a handful of live tracks, alternate takes, hell Ronnie probably has an instrumental demo or two that could be labelled as his "audition tape". Just sayin, there are plenty of ways they could make it work.

I'm surprised there could be that much more from ER that hasn't already found a home with SG or TY. But if the vaults are that plentiful, bring it on.

SF Deluxe was, for the record, an embarrassment. The alternate Brown Sugar is really the only studio track worth a second listen, and not including Travellin Man was just an insult. Not the case with the SDE, since Leeds is my favorite gig they ever recorded. Such cruelty they couldn't have given it a standalone release.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2023 at 6:45pm
What's their excuse for no recent Vault releases?

A small Vault?  A tiny todger?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2023 at 5:44pm
They don’t really care

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:04am
Goo wrote on Jun 20th, 2023 at 5:44pm:
They don’t really care

Maybe ABKCO should take up the slack and put out competing live releases...  We don't know what they're holding, do we?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 12:05pm
It’s very sad all the other contemporary bands have pretty good archive releases
stones releases from the archives have all been questionable….. poor sound quality, half Concerts modern overdubs makes me want to scream Cry

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 2:08pm
A Bigger Lebowski wrote on Jun 13th, 2023 at 8:32pm:

Sticky Fingers is my go-to favorite Stones album, so you'll get no argument from me on your first point. But at this stage, is there any reason to doubt that IORR would be the next album getting the deluxe treatment? (though Voodoo absolutely deserves it, so maybe they jump forward for that first - either way, sooner than later).

I just think that - like Black & Blue - they've used the known leftovers from IORR already.

Drift Away, Fast Talking Slow Walking and Living In The Heart of Love are on Tattoo You deluxe (even though they werent on the shortlist for the original 1981 album)

They even used 'Scarlet' on the GHS deluxe even though a) its not a Stones recording and b) it was recorded about two weeks before the IORR album came out.

None of the sessionographies available online (Zentgraf, Aeppli, Elliott, etc) or the existing bootlegs suggest that theres anything else remotely close to being finished.

I thought at the time that just like 'Tattoo You' was a way of finishing up songs that hadnt been finished for  1970's official albums, the bonus material on 'Tattoo You Deluxe' was a way of doing the same for songs on albums from the same era that didnt have enough extra material or commercial value to warrant an expanded release of their own.

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:59pm
Maybe even Voodoo Lounge as well.

This is the one I'd really love to hear. It could potentially be great if they really worked up the songs and put some real effort into it. Won't happen though, but one can still dream.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Jun 22nd, 2023 at 9:13am
The Wick wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:59pm:

This is the one I'd really love to hear. It could potentially be great if they really worked up the songs and put some real effort into it. Won't happen though, but one can still dream.

The thing with VL though is that Mick has long been of the opinion that there was a different type of record there that got away from him as the finished product ended up being more retro sounding than he would have liked.

A VL 'redux' could potentially explore that alternative path

(Don Was is) definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I'm certainly not anti-groove, just anti-groove without substance, in the context of this album. They had a number of great grooves. But it was like, OK, what goes on top of it? Where does it go? I just felt that it's not what people were looking for from the Stones. I was looking for a sign that they can great real serious about this, still play better than anybody and write better than anybody.

- Don Was, May 1994

It's very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don (Was) steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us away very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake... He tried to remake Exile on Main Street or something like that. Plus, the engineer (Don Smith) was also trying to do the same thing. Their mind-set about it was just too retro. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it inherently, but they went over the top; they'd gone too far... I didn't really fight it in the end. I gave up because there was no point in it. I think both Charlie and I didn't really like it, but we could see that that was the direction you could go, and it might be successful. I don't think it really was that successful, because I don't think there's any point in having these over-retro references. I think it was an opportunity missed to go in another direction, which would have been more unusual, a little more radical, although it's always going to sound like the Rolling Stones.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpVoodoo.html

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2023 at 11:09am
Gazza wrote on Jun 22nd, 2023 at 9:13am:
The Wick wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:59pm:

The thing with VL though is that Mick has long been of the opinion that there was a different type of record there that got away from him as the finished product ended up being more retro sounding than he would have liked.

A VL 'redux' could potentially explore that alternative path

(Don Was is) definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I'm certainly not anti-groove, just anti-groove without substance, in the context of this album. They had a number of great grooves. But it was like, OK, what goes on top of it? Where does it go? I just felt that it's not what people were looking for from the Stones. I was looking for a sign that they can great real serious about this, still play better than anybody and write better than anybody.

- Don Was, May 1994

It's very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don (Was) steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us away very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake... He tried to remake Exile on Main Street or something like that. Plus, the engineer (Don Smith) was also trying to do the same thing. Their mind-set about it was just too retro. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it inherently, but they went over the top; they'd gone too far... I didn't really fight it in the end. I gave up because there was no point in it. I think both Charlie and I didn't really like it, but we could see that that was the direction you could go, and it might be successful. I don't think it really was that successful, because I don't think there's any point in having these over-retro references. I think it was an opportunity missed to go in another direction, which would have been more unusual, a little more radical, although it's always going to sound like the Rolling Stones.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpVoodoo.html

Which is exactly why I feel the way you do about it. I was actually thinking of that exact sequence of answers when I saw your original post. Especially because we would hear more of Charlie in the mixes.

I wish they had tried someone knew earlier and moved on from Don Was, but I have to agree with him on this. There are a lot of grooves Mick seems to throw out there that are not really fully worked up. Perhaps it's that Keith and Ronnie aren't fully invested, but on a lot of the post Undercover groove tunes (solo records included), there does seem to be a lot of stuff that was not fully adopted and taken on. A real pity.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2023 at 6:40pm
Middle of the sea is good

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)