Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
David Bowie hommage from The Rolling Stones (Read 5,331 times)
riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
David Bowie hommage from The Rolling Stones
Feb 16th, 2016 at 2:41pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I'm saddly disapointed by the fact that the Rolling Stones don't play even one song of David Bowie in their new Olé Tour 2016.
Why such a thing !!

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: David Bowie hommage from The Rolling Stones
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 4:23pm
If Let's Spend The Night Together wins the song vote today, it would kind of be a tribute, sort of...

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2016 at 4:35pm by Edith Grove »  

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 8:39pm
It's just not on their agenda. They gave a nice social media message and Mick did an interview for Rolling Stone. Nuff said. I want to hear Stones songs or blues songs.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 8:50pm
They knew him and were friends with him. Isn't their personal grief enough?

EDIT: Or to phrase it better, can't we let their grief remain personal instead of public?
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2016 at 11:16pm by Freya Gin »  

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 9:48pm
Torn on this
Damn if they do and Damn if they don't kind of thin.............

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:11am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ

Dancing in the Street...they could do that one, but not on their agenda apparently.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 2:24pm
Factory Girl wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:11am:

Dancing in the Street...they could do that one, but not on their agenda apparently.

God help us. I'd hope not.

The problem is that at the rate the Stones' contemporaries and influences are shuffling off these days, they could be adding a new song every week.

Its hard enough to get them to play anything other than a warhorse these days, without expecting them to play an unreleased cover at a stadium show in a market where the audience might not even be that familiar with whoever it is they're honouring.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:34pm
Factory Girl wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:11am:

NOT on my agenda either...anyway...that would be a Martha and the Vandelas (sp) tribute

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:36pm
G,

Bowie was known world wide.  If they played DIS, it would be appreciated and understood by the audience, but as I've said above, it is not on their agenda.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:10pm
Hold your horses B&B... Mick will be in "The Concert for Bowie", I hope he sings "Five Years"

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:40pm
Factory Girl wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:36pm:
G,

Bowie was known world wide.  If they played DIS, it would be appreciated and understood by the audience, but as I've said above, it is not on their agenda.

Known, yes - but he was hardly the global star in South America that the Stones are.

I doubt there would have been too many people more delighted than me had they covered a Bowie song, but I don't think it was ever a reasonable expectation.  Maybe had they been playing in Europe, the US or maybe Japan, but not so much in South America.

Covering a song that Bowie covered would have been a horrible choice IMO
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:41pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:10pm:
Hold your horses B&B... Mick will be in "The Concert for Bowie", I hope he sings "Five Years"

Has that been confirmed or is it still just another case of tabloidesque assumption?

... ... ...
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 8:39pm
"Rebel Rebel," a song allegedly written as a Stones knock-off, would have been an obvious choice.  But I'm thinking that if any tribute cover would have been played, it would have been if Bowie's death had coincided with a US or Euro tour, so that a mass Bowie audience would have been reached and then the number dropped when the tour was over.  If they played a tribute cover in SA and then dropped it above the Equator, the fan and media reaction would be WTF?  Also, their tribute cover trend has been to cover older influences and not contemporaries (though James Brown was borderline contemporary), and to cover black artists so as to celebrate the Stones' musical roots.  All a shame, as I was really hoping they'd rip through "Rebel Rebel" instead of being scooped by Gaga.  So the LP cover of Made In the Shade (see my avatar) is all that remains of old love....
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:33am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:10pm

The Stones do not do tributes. They are beside all that. Though Jagger and Bowie and all of them knew each other very well ... and though they are go way back together in a small sense of the concept. Though the music world has lost a true artist in every sense of the word (and even though I personally love Bowie and though his last album in extraordinary ..)

The Stones should stick to being 'The Stones' .. in 1968 .. in 1978 ... and even here in 2016 (they do not do tributes .. only 'covers' at times .. and they do not bring up said things on tour or in their albums. They are beside all that kind of jazz. That is how it always was.. and that is how it be - 

Ian
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:14pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 5:49am
The Stones paid tribute to Ray Charles numerous times after he passed. Mick would even give a little speech about his influence on the band.

So yes, the band does tributes.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:31am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:10pm:
The Stones do not do tributes. They are beside all that. Though Jagger and Bowie and all of them knew each other very well ... and though they are go way back together in a small sense of the concept. Though the music world has lost a true artist in every sense of the word (and even though I personally love Bowie and though his last album in extraordinary ..)

The Stones should stick to being 'The Stones' .. in 1968 .. in 1978 ... and even here in 2016 (they do not do tributes .. only 'covers' at times .. and they do not bring up said things on tour or in their albums. They are beside all that kind of jazz. That is how it always was.. and that is how it be - 

Ian

Well, when I saw them in 2005, they were flashing huge pictures of Ray Charles and James Brown on stadium-sized video screens above their stage, and then performing those people's songs, in commemoration of their passing away recently.  I think those would qualify as "tributes."
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:35am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 10:32am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:10pm:

Ian

Everybody needs somebody /Love train/Rock me baby/Can't turn you loose/Going to a go go/Hound dog/Twenty flight rock/Night Time Is The Right Time/Champagne And Reefer

I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:51pm
I saw them do "They Call Me Mr Pityful"
in 2005 with pictures of Otis redding in the background...CLEARLY a tribute......also saw Get Up Stand Up once.

The Stones do plenty of covers, true...and Tributes ( to fallen stars)...c'mon Ian...you know this!!
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:53pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:04pm
riffkeither wrote on Feb 16th, 2016 at 2:41pm:
I'm saddly disapointed by the fact that the Rolling Stones don't play even one song of David Bowie in their new Olé Tour 2016.
Why such a thing !!

Why should they?  It would probably be more awkward than anything else.  Just let people mourn how they want to mourn.

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:05pm
andrews27 wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 8:39pm:
"Rebel Rebel," a song allegedly written as a Stones knock-off

If that's true, then it's a pretty shitty knock-off.  Great song but an awful Stones knock-off.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:42pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:10pm:

Has that been confirmed or is it still just another case of tabloidesque assumption?

It was just my imagination...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 8:32am
job wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:05pm:
andrews27 wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 8:39pm:
"Rebel Rebel," a song allegedly written as a Stones knock-off

If that's true, then it's a pretty shitty knock-off.  Great song but an awful Stones knock-off.

But it made money...and if Mick and Keith had come up with it, it would be making money on every hits record forever.

From wiki:

'Originally written for an aborted Ziggy Stardust musical in late 1973,[6] "Rebel Rebel" – completed in January 1974 and released the following month – was Bowie's last single in the glam rock style that had been his trademark. It was also his first hit since 1969 not to feature lead guitarist Mick Ronson; Bowie himself played guitar on this and almost all other tracks from Diamond Dogs, producing what NME critics Roy Carr and Charles Shaar Murray called "a rocking dirty noise that owed as much to Keith Richards as it did to the departed Ronno".[7]

'The song is notable for its gender-bending lyrics ("You got your mother in a whirl / She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl") as well as its distinctive riff, which rock journalist Kris Needs has described as "a classic stick-in-the-head like the Stones' 'Satisfaction'".[8] Bowie himself later said, "It's a fabulous riff! Just fabulous! When I stumbled onto it, it was 'Oh, thank you!'"[9]'

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 4:18pm
Rebel Rebel is the best Stones riff that Keith never wrote.

While I know it's not really their cup of tea, on the topic of tributes, I'd have loved to hear them have a crack at The Ace of Spades.

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 7:14pm
One of the stylistic links between Bowie and the Stones is the use of acoustic guitar for rhythm guitar on out-and-out rockers, with the acoustic heard prominently at a song's beginning.  I don't have to name the instances, I'm sure.

But whatever happened to the rumor, which was well-heard at the time of the song's release, that it's Bowie playing the acoustic on "It's Only Rock 'n Roll"?  In 1974, that rumor seemed to have been issued to the press by the Stones camp.  Does anyone else remember this?  I doubt it's true, but it was definitely put out there with the album release hype. 
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2016 at 9:44pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 5:53am
andrews27 wrote on Feb 20th, 2016 at 7:14pm:
One of the stylistic links between Bowie and the Stones is the use of acoustic guitar for rhythm guitar on out-and-out rockers, with the acoustic heard prominently at a song's beginning.  I don't have to name the instances, I'm sure.

But whatever happened to the rumor, which was well-heard at the time of the song's release, that it's Bowie playing the acoustic on "It's Only Rock 'n Roll"?  In 1974, that rumor seemed to have been issued to the press by the Stones camp.  Does anyone else remember this?  I doubt it's true, but it was definitely put out there with the album release hype. 

Do you mean on the song or the album?
It is Bowie on Back Up Vocals...on the song as well as Ronnie Wood on Acoustic 12 string

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)