Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RIP John Trudell (Read 529 times)
SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
RIP John Trudell
Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:53pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This guy was one of my role models/heroes.

He lived a full, good, painful, but also insanely rich, creative life.

You can Google him and find out more, suffice it to say, he was one of the founders of the Native American rights movement in the 70s, and after his pregnant wife, three children, and mother-in-law were burned to death in a mysterious fire in their home on the Duck Valley Reservation in Nevada, he turned that pain into beautiful music/words.

Mixing poetry with music is, at it's face, a ridiculous proposition--especially then when you add in politics, but John Trudell got it right. He did it, and I don't know of anyone else who has. Pure. Original. Genius.

The song below is called "Baby Boom Che," and it is well worth the listen. It is in the top five best "songs" I've heard about rock n' roll, ever:

It's not too late to appreciate John Trudell. I'd start with the albums AKA Graffiti Man, Johnny Damas and Me and 2014's, Through The Dust. In addition to everything else, he was someone who never stopped growing, never peaked and then kept repeating himself, as is the case with so many other artists. Like I said, a role model/hero.

Enjoy the next stage of your journey, big brother. Maybe I can meet you the next time around.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2015 at 12:23pm by SheRat »  

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Re: RIP John Trudell
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Yup, a big loss, and not just musically. I only had 'AKA Graffiti Man' and 'Johnny Damas & Me', but Graffiti Man is a stone classic. I got into it when a mate played "Rockin the Res" for me - with Jesse Ed Davis (Taj Mahal, Faces, etc.) on guitar, it sounded/felt like Lou Reed or Jim Carroll backed by the Stones.
Brilliant album.

RIP John. You said a lot and did even more. Such a life, such a life.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Re: RIP John Trudell
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 3:11pm
Of course it's just you and me on the Trudell thread, Yeats. LOL.

They took down my favorite YouTube video of Rockin' the Rez, but here's John being CRAZY HOT doing "Crazy Horse":

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)