Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How well did doom and gloom do compared to other recent singles? (Read 1,673 times)
Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
How well did doom and gloom do compared to other recent singles?
Jul 3rd, 2015 at 10:25am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Commercially speaking, that is. Does anyone know? I was just wondering because Doom and Gloom blew up quite nicely. I didn't expect it to and don't remember there being much buzz over the abb singles, but I could be wrong. B2B and forty licks were before my time.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: How well did doom and gloom do compared to other recent singles?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:01am
Sorry...WHICH SINGLE?

It didnt chart in the US...in the UK it was number 61 on the chart for sales and 21 for airplay

How did that compare with other singles?

Other Stones singles...other singles that year?
These are only chart positions and not reflective of units sold.

Anyone else?

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:11am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:36pm
It's not a fan favorite live....some are under the impression that it's taking the place of something far superior that were missing out on...

I quite like One More Shot better...

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 6:57pm
Android, with other recent singles I meant singles from abb and forty licks. When doom and gloom came out even my friends that only listen to rap were talking about it. And the video on YouTube got millions of views in just days. I know that doesn't mean all that much, but still...

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:36am

I will add that it seemed to do pretty well for a Rock based song in todays download and viewing / playing market. It was fairly short lived but it seemed to do pretty well in the first two months or so.

While we are on the subject .......................... >>there is something I simply do not understand concerning this song and this tour. Many are complaining they are playing the song. Well it is their latest song ... they SHOULD play it.

All the time I hear all they play is their warhorses and they ignore the new stuff. Well this is new and it isn't a warhorse ... what's the issue? .. Seems like they cannot win in satisfying some?

I WANT to hear Doom and gloom more than Miss You.. and maybe a few other more popular songs simply because it's new... it's a good song .. and it has a good sound and neat vibe. I want something fresh .. and I want to hear them play it....I welcome it .. Very glad they are hanging onto it and playing it.. as they should.

- Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:51am
Seems like D&G has been replaced by OOC. Wonder if that will still be the case for the last upcoming shows in the U.S./Canada.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 12:53pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:36am:
I will add that it seemed to do pretty well for a Rock based song in todays download and viewing / playing market. It was fairly short lived but it seemed to do pretty well in the first two months or so.

While we are on the subject .......................... >>there is something I simply do not understand concerning this song and this tour. Many are complaining they are playing the song. Well it is their latest song ... they SHOULD play it.

All the time I hear all they play is their warhorses and they ignore the new stuff. Well this is new and it isn't a warhorse ... what's the issue? .. Seems like they cannot win in satisfying some?

I WANT to hear Doom and gloom more than Miss You.. and maybe a few other more popular songs simply because it's new... it's a good song .. and it has a good sound and neat vibe. I want something fresh .. and I want to hear them play it....I welcome it .. Very glad they are hanging onto it and playing it.. as they should.

- Ian

Spot on, Ian.

I also dont get the sudden contempt for this song.

When it came out, pretty much everyone seemed to really like it.

Now it seems to have attained a 'You Got Me Rocking' level of derision for some while many are drooling 'great setlist' for shows where the most up to date song was written in the late 70s. Are Stones fans really that unambitious and trapped by the past? If so, no wonder the band no longer gives a shit about evolving and being remotely creative.

They've released TWO new songs in the last ten bloody years. Of course they should be playing at least one of them.

No, it shouldn't be dropped for some older song. The way around it? Play more than 19 fucking songs. Or shake the setlist up a bit more.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 2:10pm
I wouldn't have minded hearing Doom and Gloom at all. It would have shown many of those who weren't familiar with their material from the 90's on that they still record some music and aren't solely a nostalgia act. Still, Out of Control was a good substitute. Wonder how many people in the audience at Raleigh knew that one, especially the ones in their twenties. Had they heard of the Bridges to Babylon album, I wonder?

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 2:17pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:36am:

- Ian

Spot on, Ian.

I also dont get the sudden contempt for this song.

When it came out, pretty much everyone seemed to really like it.

Now it seems to have attained a 'You Got Me Rocking' level of derision for some while many are drooling 'great setlist' for shows where the most up to date song was written in the late 70s. Are Stones fans really that unambitious and trapped by the past? If so, no wonder the band no longer gives a shit about evolving and being remotely creative.

They've released TWO new songs in the last ten bloody years. Of course they should be playing at least one of them.

No, it shouldn't be dropped for some older song. The way around it? Play more than 19 fucking songs. Or shake the setlist up a bit more.

Exactly. We got two songs in a decade like ya said...Sooooooo >>>> play the damn song...lol

I very much looked forward to them playing it before the tour even started in hopes they would... and they are and I enjoyed it .. Not sure why everyone said it was lame or boring live (it was not as well received in enthusiasm as Start Me Up or Brown Sugar, sure...but come on.. I don't care and how could it be? The song was pulled off well... it was fresh and I paticularly liked it. I would of been pretty upset if they did not play it and I would of voiced that here.

If you want to know the truth ..it was the one song that I really looked forward to see them perform live... (again ...because it was fresh ...good... and you know.. I wanted to hear them do it live to see how it was...and it was good).

How boring is Miss You or Tumbeling Dice to these same people who said Doom and Gloom was boring or should be dropped...?? (dropped? ...well...like...why..? lol) If anything that is the one song they seriously NEED to keep ..because it's something new.

I'd rather hear D & G any day, any time over say Miss You or Tumbeling Dice..

I don't get the problem? I thought we all WANTED new stuff... here they are playing it and many are complaining? Wth? I liked it and like I said it was the one song I was most curious about.. (that and Midnight Rambler.. I wanted to see how that came off this tour as well).

I'm seriously lost as to why anyone here would not want it?? Guess what.. if they didn't play it people would complain they didn't even play the one single they put out in a decade.. they would say what a tired, warehorse, total nostalgia driven act that didn't even dare play their latest song ... right? ... I can hear it now lol)

KEEP playing it boys... it's new... it's more fresh than the others...  and it sounds good live.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2015 at 2:28pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 3:51pm
I really liked One More shot live. I think Keith really liked playing it.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:00pm
Holden wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 3:51pm:
I really liked One More shot live. I think Keith really liked playing it.

I can imagine he would enjoy playing that. My only gripe with the song is that the songs beggining guitar sounds a little too similar to Street Fighting Man live version from the last 12 or 13 years. Still ... I won't gripe too much. It's 'not bad' IMO.

Ian

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:32pm
It sucks.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm
As I play the You tube video...I think the liklyhood of it being dropped was due to lack of enthusiasm from the audience. The "real" fans bought it, sure...but out of the 50K at that show...how many of those are like the maniacs here on RO/Shidoobee?!?

And to be frank...I just turned it off about a third of the way because it really is a sub par song...in fact, to quote MrP...it sucks. Yes...it is subjective...but I feel that it really is down there with YGMR, OKNYA and whatever else they have released in the last dozen years or so.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:54pm
[b]I think D&G was fucking wicked! Much better than those awful tack ons to 40 LICKS. I love it! It had an immediate effect on me. Charts? Do they really exist anymore, and who cares? One Direction at No. 1, the gigs up, they don't matter anymore. They aren't even based on true record sales, haven't been for years.
/b]They are predicted; they are based on PROJECTED sales, then sort of tallied with how many actual sales & downloads they make.
The charts(or what passes for charts these days, and always really, are made up for the most part by 12 to 18 year olds. They have never been a true reflection of what's GOOD, great, influential, and important to their time or, beyond.
How many times did Zeppelin have a No.1 single? Only the record company forced the issue of an edited version of Stairway To Heaven being issued as a single, they knew the charts were naff.
Speaking of edited versions, I've got a bone to pick. I am fucking well fed up with Stones compilation albums editing the songs from 1976 to recent times. It ruined 40 Licks, and it ruined that more recent compilation with THE most stoopid fucking title. I refuse to talk about that comp' and use it's lame title.
What is now required for the die-hard fan, just as the respected Brit' mag' UNCUT suggested a few years ago is a decent,(but I would  suggest, also affordable) four disc box set. They don't have to include rubbish like, Highwire, Rock and A Hard Place, 5 tracks from Some Girls every bloody time, Don't Stop. And how about a little more attention to GHS? And how about unedited versions of Hot Stuff, and Hey Negrita?
Jump Back in '93 was a reasonable effort, and that rubbish titled 2012 comp' would have been much better without the cruel editing of 70s and future songs, and that bloody title.
Grrr my fucking arse! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)