Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gazza- Potted Shrimp? (Read 1,917 times)
gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Gazza- Potted Shrimp?
Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:50pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ok Gaz, You're clearly the main man along with Voodoo for anything remotely Stones related. as we are currently getting all this great stuff, Sticky Fingers, Marquee; the topic of unreleased(officially), songs often comes up. I am fairly familiar with what comes from which sessions but, I am baffled by this great riff, rhythm, and melody that I have on Hillside Blues called Potted Shrimp.
Stoopid fucking title, but what a song it could have been. Do you know whether this gem comes from the 1969/70 sessions, or is it from Nellcotte, the basement? Maybe it's from earlier like the Morden sessions.
Anyway; if you know and deem to let a poor boy know I would much appreciate your undoubted wisdom; oh, and by the way, how the fuck do you know so much? Shit! They once invited me onto a radio show as a guest DJ, because I was the Stones guy. They should've got you. Stay well my Celtic brother.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Gazza- Potted Shrimp?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:00am
Good morning brother Mofo

"Potted shrimp" comes from October-November 1970, probably cut at one of the various studios in London (or at Micks house in Berkshire with the Stones' mobile) they were using around that time

So technically it's a Sticky Fingers outtake, although at that time most of the songs they were finishing ended up on SF whereas some of the stuff they were starting on ended up on Exile - or in cases like Aladdin Story, were redone for the Exile redux

Some of these mostly instrumental songs - including Potted Shrimp - were short listed for release (or to be worked on) in a collection of acetates put together in 1972 as an alternative to Hot Rocks which has become known as the Trident Mixes, Trident Demos or Bell Sound Demos. Most of the 1968-70 unreleased songs from 1968-70 that's been bootlegged down the years come from these 17 acetates.

A pressing of the 17 acetates was lost in the mail, turned up at a postal auction of unclaimed packages and was bought by someone with bootleg connections

The original mid 70d double album of the acetates consisted of

jiving Sister Fanny
Im Going Down
I don't know why
hamburger to go
Downtown Suzie
blood red wine
Travellin' man
family
leather jacket
dancing in the light
potted shrimps
Aladdin Story
and I was a Country Boy
who Am I
untitled

Felix aeppli's "ultimate guide" books and website are a great resource for info like this

www.aeppli.ch/tug.htm
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:04am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:25am
Thank you Gazzapedia! Acetates "lost in the mail"? That's beautifully ironic. Bought by a bootlegger. Coincidence?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:56pm
Just someone who knew the potential for what was available.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:43pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:00am:
Good morning brother Mofo

"Potted shrimp" comes from October-November 1970, probably cut at one of the various studios in London (or at Micks house in Berkshire with the Stones' mobile) they were using around that time

So technically it's a Sticky Fingers outtake, although at that time most of the songs they were finishing ended up on SF whereas some of the stuff they were starting on ended up on Exile - or in cases like Aladdin Story, were redone for the Exile redux

Some of these mostly instrumental songs - including Potted Shrimp - were short listed for release (or to be worked on) in a collection of acetates put together in 1972 as an alternative to Hot Rocks which has become known as the Trident Mixes, Trident Demos or Bell Sound Demos. Most of the 1968-70 unreleased songs from 1968-70 that's been bootlegged down the years come from these 17 acetates.

A pressing of the 17 acetates was lost in the mail, turned up at a postal auction of unclaimed packages and was bought by someone with bootleg connections

The original mid 70d double album of the acetates consisted of

jiving Sister Fanny
Im Going Down
I don't know why
hamburger to go
Downtown Suzie
blood red wine
Travellin' man
family
leather jacket
dancing in the light
potted shrimps
Aladdin Story
and I was a Country Boy
who Am I
untitled

Felix aeppli's "ultimate guide" books and website are a great resource for info like this

www.aeppli.ch/tug.htm
Jesus wept! My dear Pictish Bro', were there Picts in Ireland? NO, probably not. You fucking well blow my mind. Honestly. You don't just answer a question you walk me through the answer. Thanx man! I really appreciate your quick response. Man I'd love to sit down for month, over many pints of Guiness, and Harp Lager, and just shoot the shit.
All that track listing is the same as Hillside Blues, I've heard of the Trident Mixes, but never seen it. Hillside is obviously a Trident rip off. Anyway thanx again. You're diamond geezer. Cheers!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:34pm
And all this time I thought "potted shrimp" was an eastern European who drove BV nuts with his love for Meg White.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:40am
Edith Grove wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:34pm:
And all this time I thought "potted shrimp" was an eastern European who drove BV nuts with his love for Meg White.

Ah! Maybe sober up.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 5:34pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:34pm:

The real Rolling Stones tongue Doo'h Don't suck my cock

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)