Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whose Crotch Is It Anyway? - Sticky Fingers cover (Read 1,625 times)
KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Bayonne, NJ
Whose Crotch Is It Anyway? - Sticky Fingers cover
Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
From Sunday's NY Post

So about that Rolling Stones’ cover: Whose crotch is it anyway?

By Larry Getlen

June 6, 2015 | 7:00am
Modal Trigger
So about that Rolling Stones’ cover: Whose crotch is it anyway?
The "Rolling Stones" became rock legends after this album cover.

In early 1969, Andy Warhol agreed to design an album cover for the Rolling Stones.

The band’s frontman, Mick Jagger, wrote Warhol a letter about the project, telling the famed artist, “The more complicated the format of the album, e.g., more complex than just pages or fold-out, the more f–ked-up the reproduction and agonizing the delays.”

Warhol ignored this, creating one of the most complex and memorable album covers in rock history for “Sticky Fingers,” the 1971 album that took the Stones from stars to legends.

The cover of “Sticky Fingers” — which will be rereleased on Tuesday, remastered and featuring alternate takes and live versions of Stones classics — is a straight-up crotch shot.

The initial release featured a real zipper on the cover — when you pulled it down, you saw the model’s underwear.

Given that Jagger was regarded as the sexiest man in rock, it was commonly assumed to be his crotch. But the true identity of the well-endowed cover model has been a mystery for more than 40 years.

It all began when Warhol arranged to photograph several men from the waist down. After the photo shoots, he never told anyone the identity of the man on the cover, or even whether the jeans model and the underwear model were the same person.

While the model is definitely not Jagger, many people were under the impression that it was actor Joe Dallesandro, who starred in several Warhol films. But those who were in Warhol’s inner circle say otherwise.

Glenn O’Brien was the editor of Warhol’s Interview magazine. He says that Warhol photographed several men for the cover and he is “100 percent certain” that the inside photo — the one of a man in underwear — is him.

“I knew it was me because it was my underwear!” he tells The Post. “[Warhol] just said it was for a Rolling Stones album cover. I was a huge fan, so I was pleased, and also I got paid $100. Not bad for 20 minutes’ work.”

Warhol also photographed Dallesandro’s brother Bobby, and Jackie Curtis, who was another of Warhol’s so-called Superstars.

The shoot took place at 33 Union Square West, which housed Interview’s office and Warhol’s Factory. During the session, a few visitors got an eyeful of rock history.
Modal Trigger

Makeup artist Corey Tippin is convinced it’s him that’s featured on the famed cover.
“There was an architect’s office next door,” O’Brien recalls. “I have my jeans down around my ankles…Andy is kneeling in front of me with his Polaroid, and Fred [Hughes, Warhol’s business manager] is making rude remarks, like, ‘Can’t you make it any bigger?’ The door opens, and these guys walk in in suits, and they’re dumbfounded. And one of them said, ‘Um, this isn’t the architect’s office?’”

Not only did Warhol never tell anyone the identity of the cover model, but O’Brien thinks it’s possible he didn’t even know.

“He probably took these Polaroids, put them on the table, and picked ones he liked. I don’t think it mattered to him [who it was],” says O’Brien. “I don’t know if the fact that I was chosen means I was the best endowed or what.”

As for the jeans pic, O’Brien believes it was Corey Tippin, a makeup artist who was part of the Warhol scene. Tippin didn’t know what the shoot was for, and received $75.

“I knew [Warhol] wanted it to be kind of an erotic photograph. Andy wanted a bulgy crotch,” Tippin says. “[To me,] it had nothing to do with rock ’n’ roll…Those of us in the gay world related to it as a gay iconic image.”

Tippin was also never told the identity of the jeans model on the cover, but is convinced it’s him: “I know my anatomy.”

The cover received some odd tweaks internationally. In Russia, an image of a Soviet Army belt buckle was added to the jeans; in Spain, the jeans photo was replaced by a picture of a woman’s fingers emerging from a can of blood.

Though the “Sticky Fingers” crotch mystery may never be definitively solved, Tippin’s OK with that. “The fact that Andy never authenticated who the model was…I think it’s funny. I think it’s mysterious,” he says. “Though had I known it was for a Stones album cover, I probably would have asked for more than $75.”

IP Logged

KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Bayonne, NJ
Re: Whose Crotch Is It Anyway? - Sticky Fingers cover
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 3:45pm
I once read that there was a plan to have a small balloon pop out when you pulled down the zipper, but they never could get it to work properly.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 7:21pm
It was Andy Warhol's "protege", not just a one time hired model. I think it was his boy-toy. Andy was a perv, or so I've read.

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Well it's not Micks since he has a little todger according to Kieth when he shit the bed with his book Life.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 7:49pm
It's mine. Hey gurls!

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:07pm
It just goes to show you: Always copyright your crotch.

"When you're old,
When you're o-o-o-l-l-l--d,
Nobody will know..."

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Bitch wrote on Jun 8th, 2015 at 7:21pm:
It was Andy Warhol's "protege", not just a one time hired model. I think it was his boy-toy. Andy was a perv, or so I've read.

The shots are all of Warhol's crotch and ass taken by an an assistant (that's what the real mystery is).

Warhol was basically an a-sexual homosexual. Don't know what you've read that defines him as a "perv". (unless, of course, you define being gay as perverted).

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 9:33pm
Yes, he was a perv, but not for being gay, but for surrounding himself with many younger boys and telling them they can become models and artists.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 9:42pm
Bitch wrote on Jun 9th, 2015 at 9:33pm:
Yes, he was a perv, but not for being gay, but for surrounding himself with many younger boys and telling them they can become models and artists.

uhm, dude...he did that with everybody in the Factory circle, male and female, straight, gay and bi. Helped them all immensely.

How that's 'perverted' I can't see.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:44pm
I always thought of him as the Memo From Turner character. Wasn't he shot at in the late 60's? I dont know all the details of his life but I believe that he did help people achieve fame. OK I'll take it back, he wasnt perverted but he was definitely unusual.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 11:04pm
Bitch wrote on Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:44pm:
I always thought of him as the Memo From Turner character. Wasn't he shot at in the late 60's? I dont know all the details of his life but I believe that he did help people achieve fame. OK I'll take it back, he wasnt perverted but he was definitely unusual.

Everyone who goes to the Pittsburgh show should go to the Warhol Museum and take their picture with Warhol's "JAGGER"...wouldn't that be a great way to meet fellow Stonesians?!?

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2015 at 11:18pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Bitch wrote on Jun 8th, 2015 at 7:21pm:

Its pretty much widely accepted that Warhol died a virgin.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)