Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Mick Jagger Explained the ‘Dirtiest Line’ in ‘Satisfaction’ (Read 1,619 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
How Mick Jagger Explained the ‘Dirtiest Line’ in ‘Satisfaction’
Jun 5th, 2015 at 8:19am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
How Mick Jagger Explained the ‘Dirtiest Line’ in ‘Satisfaction’

Lily Rothman    

'It's just life. That's what really happens to girls'

When the now-classic Rolling Stones song “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was released a half-century ago this weekend, TIME barely noticed. It wasn’t until September that the single got a quick mention on the listings page, the weekly round-up of what was new in TV, movies and music. “The Stones manage to sing with nervous intensity and snigger at the same time,” the critic noted in the three-sentence capsule review.

By the time the song was next mentioned, in 1966, it had sold 4.5 million copies. But not everyone was happy about that. The reason it had come up was as part of a trend story about how radio DJs were dealing with the fact that rock music, using the mysterious trick of “hip teen talk,” was sneaking inappropriate language onto the airwaves. When it wasn’t clear just what a singer was saying, how were DJ’s to know what was OK to play? Case in point: The ‘Satisfaction’ line about “trying to make some girl.” Some stations bleeped it; some didn’t play the song; some insisted that singer Mick Jagger wasn’t enunciating well enough for them to know what to do.

Jagger, the article explained, got a kick out of the question:

But, gloats Jagger, “They didn’t understand the dirtiest line.” That is the one where the girl pleads: “Baby, better come back later next week ’cause you see I’m on a losing streak.” Says Jagger: “It’s just life. That’s what really happens to girls. Why shouldn’t people write about it?” Why, indeed. Says one record promoter: “The kids with the clean songs are having a hard time coming up with hit songs.”

http://time.com/3900528/1966-rolling-stones-satisfaction/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Re: How Mick Jagger Explained the ‘Dirtiest Line’ in ‘Satisfaction’
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 11:21am
How does he explain She's So Cold then? Hmmmm?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:53pm
The burning bush?
or the bleeding volcano?

As my dear mother would say..."Both perfectly normal terms of sexual endearment ..."

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:17am
“Baby, better come back later next week ’cause you see I’m on a losing streak.” Says Jagger: “It’s just life. That’s what really happens to girls. Why shouldn’t people write about it?”

Confirming our conversation a few years back that this is about a woman's period. "Time of the month".

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 12:28pm
I am actually a bit taken back that a line about a woman's mentrual cycle is considered "dirty"...I think it rather cleverly "hidden"...but not a big deal....they got lucky with a great line that got overlooked by the TPTB at ABCKO.

Certainly more lucky and not as poetically sound as "you make a dead man cum"

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:02pm
I am shocked. It was one of the hardest music revelations  of all time. And this is coming from one horny dude who loves to see half-naked women dance as much as the next horny dude.

It turns out this record has been fluffier than a pancake and hotter than a cigarette ash, all this time. I demand a formal explanation.

I don't know who these people are [watch below,] and I don't want to know.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:07pm
A long time ago and far away a highschooly FactoryGirl dating a guy who had no issues whatsoever with losing streaks. 

Its funny that Jagger thinks losing streaks are "dirty".

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)