Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones played at Georgia Southern College 50 years ago today (Read 1,308 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Rolling Stones played at Georgia Southern College 50 years ago today
May 4th, 2015 at 2:17pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stones played at Georgia Southern College 50 years ago today

May 4, 2015

The Rolling Stones’ 2015 North American tour begins later this month, but 50 years ago Monday, the band played its first college concert at what was then Georgia Southern College.

The British band played in Hanner Gymnasium to an overflow audience of more than 3,500 people, according to a retrospective by Jim Hilliard in the Statesboro Herald. The gym’s capacity was about 1,500.

Hilliard said organizers figured they could sell 1,800 tickets at $2.50 each, which would be enough to pay the Stones and have some money left over for expenses.

The Stones had played on “The Ed Sullivan Show” on Sunday, May 2, and advance ticket sales were brisk the Monday and during lunch Tuesday, the day of the concert.

Hilliard said he signed the contract booking the Stones on behalf of Sigma Epsilon Chi fraternity. The contract called for the new fraternity to pay the band $3,000 for the appearance. Hilliard said he got a $1,500 loan from First Bulloch Bank to make the deal happened.

The Stones were expected to take the stage at 8:30 p.m. and play for at least an hour, but Hilliard had lined up three front bands, and “it proved to be a fatal flaw in plans for the concert,” he said in his retrospective.

The noise was deafening as the original Stones lineup -- Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts -- hit the stage nearly an hour late.

Jagger and the other band members were “openly hostile” at having to wait so long to play. Immediately there was an issue with the PA system, which prompted further aggravation.

The band played a 10-song set, including its latest hit, “The Last Time,” as well as “Time is On My Side.” The show lasted about 30 minutes.

“It was clear to the audience that the Stones were not happy to be onstage, and they made no effort to do any more than play one song after another as quickly as possible,” Hilliard wrote. “The audience did not respond well to the performance and at the end of their final selection the group simply unplugged their instruments and walked off stage.”

He added, “Nearly everyone was stunned at the abrupt ending of the long awaited concert. No one was happy -- not the audience, not the Stones, not the fraternity, and especially not me.”

And although “the abbreviated performance by the Stones did give cause for some immediate disappointment, ... in the end it only mattered that the world famous band had appeared on stage at Georgia Southern and that Sigma Epsilon Chi had pulled off what could be considered the most unlikely big time entertainment event on a college campus anywhere.” The Stones are scheduled to play at Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta on June 9.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2015/05/04/3728988/rolling-stones-played-at-georgia.html#st...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Rolling Stones played at Georgia Southern College 50 years ago today
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2015 at 2:29pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2015 at 3:29pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 2:29pm:

I live in Georgia......and so do a lot of other Stones fans...kindly keep your opinions to yourself

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2015 at 3:35pm
gimmekeef wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 3:29pm:

I live in Georgia......and so do a lot of other Stones fans...kindly keep your opinions to yourself

I was born in Atlanta and still have family there.

Just thought that Brian interview was strangely funny.

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:35pm
I was at the Clearwater show on May 6th, probably the one after this one! We only got four songs because guys making fun of their long hair stopped the show and it wasn't restarted.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2015 at 7:54am
Thanks Edith.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2015 at 7:59am
So I still dont get what went wrong. Why was everyone so unhappy?

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2015 at 8:42am
Kept them waiting through a line-up of crappy white bands after the Sullivan Show, when they should have put them on second, got them out of town, and continued the party after they left happy.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2015 at 8:57am
Bitch wrote on May 5th, 2015 at 7:59am:

One of the issues in those days was the guys I think pissed off that their girls got so excited over these English bands. Rookie promoters too with zero experience running a rock show. The equipment sucked too so many could not hear anything....all lead to frustration and the band picked up the vibe and blew them off....

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2015 at 8:58am
Edith Grove wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 3:35pm:

Edith....sorry to get bent out of shape....no offence

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2015 at 9:24am
gimmekeef wrote on May 5th, 2015 at 8:58am:
Edith Grove wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 3:35pm:

Edith....sorry to get bent out of shape....no offence

stu-smiling

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2015 at 2:00pm
Bitch wrote on May 5th, 2015 at 7:59am:

They knew they were the Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world then!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)