Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unseen Pics - Ronnie Wood - Uptown Theater, Milwaukee 1-16-1980 (Read 2,141 times)
Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Unseen Pics - Ronnie Wood - Uptown Theater, Milwaukee 1-16-1980
Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:15am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
It was 35 years ago today Ronnie Wood was court-ordered to play…

Below is a link to 3 pics I took at the show – I’ve deliberately avoided posting them directly in this thread because (on my browser, anyway) the message board automatically enlarges them to the point where they look bad.
Link: http://home.comcast.net/~viewpics/RonnieWoodUptownTheaterMilwaukeeJanuary_16_198...

I attended the New Barbarians Milwaukee show in April of '79.  It was my first concert ever and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! Except for the pesky after-show riot part…In the aftermath, RW was ordered by the local court to perform a concert in Milwaukee, the proceeds of which were to go towards paying for repairs to the Arena. This show was held at the Uptown Theater in Milwaukee (capacity approx. 1800) on January 16, 1980. Admission was $2 plus a new toy for kids in need. My friend & I ditched school that day, were first in line (general admission), snagged front row center seats & had a FANTASTIC time! I took my brand new 35mm camera w/ me. I didn't really know how to use it yet but did the best I could (fumbling w/ the manual focus and ignoring composition completely). Not my best, but they were my first rock shots & I'm happy to share w/ other fans who might be interested.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Unseen Pics - Ronnie Wood - Uptown Theater, Milwaukee 1-16-1980
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:51am
Cool! Thanks!

So that after-show riot was Ronnie's fault, and was ordered to play another show at a different venue to pay for damages to the first venue?

Gotta love our judicial system.  Ouch!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:25pm
Thanks for sharing, Plink!

I am curious about Ron's legal liability also. You were at the initial riot? What happened?

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:26pm
P.S. The first pic is fab. The second one looks like you Photoshopped his eye makeup on! LOL.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:43pm
great story and photo's!!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:00pm
Plink wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:15am:
I’ve deliberately avoided posting them directly in this thread because (on my browser, anyway) the message board automatically enlarges them to the point where they look bad.

LOL this is the first time I hear this, I double checked and no, no way, the board uses the same size of any image, your website has a HTML code to resize it

This is the image from your website

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:07pm
Did they play that day "Honky Tonk Women"?

According to Nico Zentgraf it was a 2 1/2 hours set, mostly Ronnie Wood songs, some Ian McLagan-songs and "probably" HTW as the only Rolling Stones song!

Line up was Ronnie, Mac, Bobby Keys, Johnny Lee Schell, Reggie McBride, Andy Newmark  and Mackenzie Philips

http://nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1980.htm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 2:05am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:00pm:
Plink wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:15am:
I’ve deliberately avoided posting them directly in this thread because (on my browser, anyway) the message board automatically enlarges them to the point where they look bad.

LOL this is the first time I hear this, I double checked and no, no way, the board uses the same size of any image, your website has a HTML code to resize it

I apologize if my message came across as disparaging – that was absolutely not my intention - I just didn't want my pics to look fuzzy on the message board. I mistakenly thought that the board automatically enlarged all images. I've now figured out that my ancient Firefox browser (version 3.0.19 from 2008) is the true culprit. This browser enlarges all photos (not just mine) posted on RO & IORR. When I right click to view images posted on RO & IORR directly from the host address, they appear @ native size. This has been the case for all the years I've been reading both message boards. Now I know that such enlargement doesn't occur w/ more recent browsers. If you like, I can provide screenshots showing the difference in image display size between old FF & newer Chrome.

Regarding the show, it was a loooong time ago, but the info on Zentgraf seems accurate. I do remember that Mac played a larger role @ this show, which was much appreciated. I didn’t even notice MacKenzie Philips (big TV star @ the time) until her presence was mentioned afterward. my eyes were glued on Ronnie & Mac! Someone from IORR said that she was one of the ladies who sang backup on HTW @ the end of the show.

IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 2:13am
SheRat wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:26pm:
P.S. The first pic is fab. The second one looks like you Photoshopped his eye makeup on! LOL.

Nope – didn’t give him the Liza Minelli treatment in Photoshop, but I see what you mean! Ronnie was in full-on guyliner mode that night, and the super hi contrast prints I made also exaggerated all the shadowing around the eyes. Pic 3 also looks very “Liza” (or “Greg Allman era Cher”, if you prefer Smiley)

Regarding the riot & Ronnie's legal liability, I'll post a report but it may be a while (there are so many details involved & I disagree w/ what the papers reported  - much to say).

BTW, great username!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:38am
Plink wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 2:13am:
Regarding the riot & Ronnie's legal liability, I'll post a report but it may be a while (there are so many details involved & I disagree w/ what the papers reported  - much to say). BTW, great username!

I look forward to hearing your story. Honestly, that tour has always sounded like the best time--though I am somewhat disheartened (re: grossed out) to hear that freaking Mackenzie Phillips was involved. Just ew.

Re: name thanks! Pdog named me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)