Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Turkey Day, Ya'll !! (Read 3,677 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Happy Turkey Day, Ya'll !!
Nov 26th, 2014 at 9:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Here are eleven fun facts about Thanksgiving you may not know!

1. There are three places in the  US named Turkey. Three small towns in America are named after the nation's favorite bird. There is Turkey, Texas; Turkey, North Carolina; and Turkey Creek, Louisiana, according to the US Census Bureau. Turkey Creek, Louisiana is the most populated, with 441 residents.  There are also two townships in Pennsylvania called Upper Turkeyfoot and Lower Turkeyfoot.

2. The  first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade used live animals from the Central Park Zoo.  The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York took place in1914 when Macy’s employees dressed in vibrant costumes and marched to the flagship store on 34th street.  The parade used floats instead of balloons, and it featured monkeys, bears, camels, and elephants all borrowed from the Central Park Zoo. It was also originally called the Macy’s Christmas Parade, but was renamed the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1927.

3. Jingle Bells was originally a Thanksgiving song.  The parade was originally called the Macy's Christmas Parade.  James Pierpoint composed the song in 1857 for children celebrating Thanksgiving. The title was "One Horse Open Sleigh," and it was such a hit that it was sung again at Christmas. The song quickly became associated with the Christmas holiday season, and the title was officially changed in 1859, two years later.

4.  The  Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving.  Football is so ingrained in the Thanksgiving holiday that many people think the game is just as important as the turkey.  The first NFL football game that took place on Thanksgiving Day was in 1934 when the Detroit Lions played the Chicago Bears. The Lions have played on Thanksgiving ever since, except when the team was called away to serve during World War II, according to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  The Dallas Cowboys also always play on Thanksgiving. Their first Thanksgiving Day game was held in 1966, and the Cowboys have only missed two games since then.

5. The  night before Thanksgiving is the best day for bar sales in the US.  The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is responsible for the most bar sales in America, more than New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, or even St. Patrick’s Day.  It makes sense, since nearly all Americans have Thanksgiving off and dealing with family members can be very stressful. (But at least stuffing your face with fatty Thanksgiving foods is a perfect hangover cure.)

6. Thanksgiving leftovers inspired the  first-ever TV dinner.

Swanson introduced the TV dinner on September 10, 1953.  In 1953, the TV dinner company Swanson overestimated the demand for turkey by over 260 tons, according to Smithsonian Magazine.  The owners of the company had no idea what to do with all the leftovers, so they enlisted the help of company salesman Gerry Thomas.  Taking inspiration from airplane meals, Thomas ordered 5,000 aluminum trays, and loaded them with the turkey leftovers to create the first TV dinner.

7. Ben  Franklin wanted the turkey to be the  official bird of the  US.  Benjamin Franklin thought turkeys were much more American than bald eagle. Franklin wrote a letter to his daughter that said: “I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; his is a bird of bad moral character."  Franklin thought the turkey was a “much more respectable bird.”

8. Thomas Jefferson canceled Thanksgiving during his  presidency.  George Washington was the first to declare Thanksgiving as a holiday, but it was on a year-to-year basis, so presidents had to re-declare it every year, according to the Washington Post. Jefferson was so adamantly against Thanksgiving that he refused to declare it a holiday during his presidency, and many say that he called the holiday "the most ridiculous idea ever conceived."  It wasn’t until 1863, when Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a federal holiday, that our beloved turkey day was officially scheduled to fall on the fourth Thursday of every month.

9. FDR  tried to change the  date of Thanksgiving — and  it caused a lot of problems.  In 1939, Franklin Roosevelt changed the date of Thanksgiving from the last Thursday in November to the second-to-last, according to the US National Archives.  The change was made in an attempt to lift the economy during the Great Depression, the idea being that it would give people more time to shop for Christmas.  But it ended up making everybody confused. Most states held Thanksgiving on its original date, and three states — Colorado, Mississippi, and Texas — celebrated the holiday in both weeks, according to the Wall Street Journal.  It caused such a public outcry that people began referring to it as “Franksgiving.” After two years, Congress ditched the new policy and set the fourth Thursday of November as the legal holiday.

10. Minnesota produces the  most turkeys in the  US.  Minnesota produces more turkey than any other state in America. Last year, the state produced more than 1.16 billion pounds of turkey, valued at nearly $839 million, according to the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center.  North Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri, and Virginia are also top producers.

11. There is an annual tradition of offering a turkey a presidential pardon — and  no one  is really sure when it began. The White House has a tradition of pardoning one lucky turkey each year.  The annual tradition was thought to have begun in 1947 with President
Harry Truman. But some think that it actually started in the 1860s with Abraham Lincoln after his son Tad begged him to spare his pet turkey's life.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Champaign, IL.
Re: Happy Turkey Day, Ya'll !!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:25am
You do a great job posting because I most always learn something new...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:29am
"  ..... 5. The  night before Thanksgiving is the best day for bar sales in the US.  The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is responsible for the most bar sales in America, more than New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, or even St. Patrick’s Day.  It makes sense, since nearly all Americans have Thanksgiving off and dealing with family members can be very stressful. (But at least stuffing your face with fatty Thanksgiving foods is a perfect hangover cure.)   "

Happy Happy Thanksgiving Everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!

Weeding ?!    .. Hashishin'  ..... ?!   ....... Will Everyone Be Weeding  ?!

...   !!!!!

Weedy'kins   ™ 
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2014 at 1:35pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 11:41am
Joey, of course everyone will be weeding ('cept Steelie)

It is a tradition.

Today I cooked a couple of sausage and bacon stuffed pork tenderloins.  Some apple and pear, some onion and garlic, some mushrooms and spinach, cashews and craisins. 

Cooked it on the grill in the wonderful snowfall, and now it is sitting in foil in the fridge until tomorrow.

Serve it hot.
Serve it cold.

Next up banana nut bread.
I just love baking when I'm ripped!

Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all -- watch them roads.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:19pm
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!

Giving special thanks that our Band continues to rock on! Let's hope for a few more US shows next year and a huge RO Summit!!

Be safe!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:25pm
Get whacked! Get biffed! Get muffed! Skeechie pie!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 5:32pm
LadyJane wrote on Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:19pm:

Giving special thanks that our Band continues to rock on! Let's hope for a few more US shows next year and a huge RO Summit!!

Be safe!!!

You know your a Stones fan, if you used that horrible pic as your Facebook profile picture.  Stinky post Don't suck my cock

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 6:08pm
whats wrong with duck?

IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 7:58pm
Happy Turkey day y'all. First time in about 20 years I won't have to get up early and make a turkey (I have a bye this year), which means I get to sleep in and just show up with a pie!

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 9:35pm
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I got out of turkey duty this year.  My daughter in law is hosting so pies, rolls, sweet potatoes and hubby's birthday cake are all I have to do.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 9:16am
Happy Thanksgiving Friends!
Now Let's Eat!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 9:29am
A day to give THANKS...

THANK YOU VooDoo, Gazza, LadyJane, TomL, Nanky, Edith Grove, SomeGuy, Bitch, Joey, Sweetcharmedlife, StonesDoug and the rest of you.
I come here for comfort, like diving into a big bowl of warm mashed potatoes!!

And unlike the pilgrims and natives, NO SYPHILIS!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 9:49am
Macys Parade is good as always! I like that Jonas guy song. Get spliffed!

IP Logged

Irina
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 10:08am
Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLaPEnjeqY

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:47am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:48am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:48am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:49am

Some previous Thanksgiving headers above

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 8:27pm
LadyJane wrote on Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:19pm:

Be safe!!!

Aaaargh. That photo should have come with a warning.

Worst fucking Stones t-shirt ever. Up there in the Unholy Trinity of all-time tacky merchandise items alongside the bobble headed dolls and the time they decided to issue an 'event' t-shirt to mark a series of shows in Chicago and instead of doing the logical thing of acknowledging the city's rich musical heritage on it chose to use a picture of Al Capone with a Stones tongue protruding from his gob.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #19 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 9:12am
Damn...now I want one of those Capone shirts!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)